Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They need to do it in movie form already. Enough with these people man. Let the vagina monster take over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!
Here's a plot I'd like to see: you have your special forces team being picked off, and they see the Predator. They've heard legends, so they assume it's after them. But it's actually after something even more dangerous, which is what has been killing the protagonists.

(It could be a xenomorph but then it would be an AvP title so it would be really obvious, plus new creatures are good).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

(It could be a xenomorph but then it would be an AvP title so it would be really obvious, plus new creatures are good).

honestly i think this is the thing missing from all these additional alien and predator movies. The aesthetic is great but the creatures are a dead end. lets get other aliens involved

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I love the Wolf from requiem precisely because he's a very experienced hunter that isn't loving around. He's all about getting the work done.
Gimme a miniseries about Wolf's previous cleanup jobs. Starts out believing in the mininuke and that everyone deathblasts responsibly and cleaners are only for when something goes catastrophically wrong. Immediately disabused of the notion on the first job and gets progressively dead inside as he realizes the scale of his culture's massive survivor bias and how he contributes to it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tenzarin posted:

Does a predator movie really need stand out characters? What is this Citizen Kane? I think your trying to treat action schlock to highly.

I think so. I think just about any movie I can think of at least needs some sort of competent characterization for me to be interested in it. The first 2 Alien and Terminator movies, Robocop, Starship Troopers and even the first Predator did this well. Just because it's an action/alien shoot em up doesn't mean it can get away with lovely storytelling.

I'd even argue that this is what separates good films of this genre from the bad ones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Well well... this movie is a masterpiece! The leaks with the kid doing stuff with predator stuff takes a total of 10s and was over scrutinized.

I love when a universe is expanded and they add more things.

Tenzarin posted:

Does a predator movie really need stand out characters? What is this Citizen Kane? I think your trying to treat action schlock to highly.

please don't troll.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Paragon8 posted:

honestly i think this is the thing missing from all these additional alien and predator movies. The aesthetic is great but the creatures are a dead end. lets get other aliens involved

So what you're suggesting is that studios come up with an original idea and not run existing IP into the ground? How quaint.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

General Dog posted:

There's also jarring stuff like them leaving the military facility in a prison bus and arriving at the guy's house in an RV, or half of the team apparently leaving unseen during a fight, attaining a news helicopter, and then coming back in what seems to be 90 seconds. None of this stuff really matters, and if including more connective tissue would have meant blowing the movie's runtime out to 140 minutes then they made the right call in just cutting it, but boy is it a sloppy final product.

Another was the pit bull dog that barked at the autistic kid earlier in the film randomly turning up at the football field to protect him but then it just completely teleported out of the movie once his dad turned up.

The whole film was riddled with [subplot not included] cuts, they clearly told the editor "The current edit is running massively over time, the final cut MUST be under 120 minutes, we are NOT doing more reshoots, just do your best with what we've got"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The football/baseball field battle was the most stupid loving thing I’ve seen forever. On one side you have the Loonies being all tactical and aggressive with an arsenal they borrowed from who the gently caress knows where. They’re tossing each other guns and rolling and shooting non-stop. On the other side there’s two predator dogs standing still until one decides to chase McKenna. Like they were just shrugging off all bullets and standing there like morons come the gently caress on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The football/baseball field battle was the most stupid loving thing I’ve seen forever. On one side you have the Loonies being all tactical and aggressive with an arsenal they borrowed from who the gently caress knows where. They’re tossing each other guns and rolling and shooting non-stop. On the other side there’s two predator dogs standing still until one decides to chase McKenna. Like they were just shrugging off all bullets and standing there like morons come the gently caress on

That's basically the problem with all the fights. You have the main characters shooting the Predators with guns that do absolutely nothing until they actually do. Especially bad at the very end where all of a sudden a regular handgun is able to just kill the super Predator. Also the bizarre quip "What are you? Shut up."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Also the bizarre quip "What are you? Shut up."

It's a clumsy callback to Arnie's final line in the original movie

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I've finally remembered what movie this reminded me of. This is the predator version of Highlander 2 in the original theatrical cut. Only Highlander 2 still is more coherent.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Another was the pit bull dog that barked at the autistic kid earlier in the film randomly turning up at the football field to protect him but then it just completely teleported out of the movie once his dad turned up.

I was completely expecting that dog was a predadog shapeshifted which would have been cooler and then they could have just used that real dog in later scenes instead of the CGI one and saved some money, probably.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I am still stuck on the autism element. Why is it there? What did it accomplish? Also, Jacob Tremblay jist seemed to stop being autistic at a certain point.

Since autism is the next stage of evolution apparently, was it telling us that the big predator was autistic too?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I am still stuck on the autism element. Why is it there? What did it accomplish? Also, Jacob Tremblay jist seemed to stop being autistic at a certain point.

Since autism is the next stage of evolution apparently, was it telling us that the big predator was autistic too?

I guess it means they wanted his autism spinal fluid to make their super-predators even more super, since he was maybe more evolved than a not-autistic human.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no ring

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

Shane Black trying to make mental illnesses into something endearing and positive but not doing things so well.

And no. I just think the idea was that the kid was so good at patterns or whatever that he could read Predator language. In the script it explained it a bit more that he just followed a pattern to decipher it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muscles like this! posted:

That's basically the problem with all the fights. You have the main characters shooting the Predators with guns that do absolutely nothing until they actually do.

You just described every fight in every predator movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah they should stop doing that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in the first predator the guns never really "work". they wing it. and i'll take that excuse to post this once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The predators didn't always use body armor, that was added. They used to wear stylish mesh shirts. In Predator 2 the predator mask deflects bullets with cgi effects.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This movie was a mess and I still liked most of it.

Makes me want to watch Mercury Rising.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

The predators didn't always use body armor, that was added. They used to wear stylish mesh shirts. In Predator 2 the predator mask deflects bullets with cgi effects.

They always wore body armor. It just hung towards the upper chest rather than in the middle. In 2, the armor goes over the top half of the chest.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

got barely more armor than the spartans in 300 tho.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yea I guess they did put alittle more on in predator 2. It's just a fraction of what they have now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The most unbelievable thing about this film is one characters response was "No they're soldiers" when another character asks if a unconscious woman is safe with some of the guys and that guys response is not immediately to say "Oh poo poo " then bolting mid conversation to prevent that woman from being sexually assaulted.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tenzarin posted:

Yea I guess they did put alittle more on in predator 2. It's just a fraction of what they have now.

Apparently due to the time crunch of replacing the bug design the armor in the first movie was actually like, part of the overall costume, along with the skin and whatever. So it's less pronounced and visible. All of the armor pieces in the second movie are separately molded pieces that go on top of the actual Predator body suit, so they were able to get a little more complicated and detailed with it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The side scrolling Aliens vs Predator arcade game is still up there as one of the best incarnations of both series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the computer game actually. Not the anime thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the one they rereleased on steam was the best. good as hell multiplayer game in high school.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

It’s the computer game actually. Not the anime thing.

I prefer the arcade games by Capcom. It expanded as far as was necessary on the Predators by having Warriors, Hunters and a corrupted/rogue Predator and their intent to help the humans eliminate the Xenomorphs. It was also based on a movie script that never got traction.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Capcom AvP beatemup loving rules and anyone in this thread who hasn't played it needs to load up MAME (it has never gotten an official port of any kind and probably never will) and get on that poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just saw this movie.

It's... okay? The editing is all over the place but I still had no problem following what was going on, it was just really clear that a ton of scenes were truncated, I found it most noticeable at the very beginning of the movie to be honest. Funnily enough, 'The Predator' has the same run-time as the other 3 movies in the series, but it definitely felt "rushed" compared to the others. I chalk that up to the editing issues.
I suspect there's a real good movie buried in there somewhere, and maybe we'll get something neat out of a "re-cut edition" on home release? I'm getting 'Alien 3' vibes in the sense that too many fingers in the pie really muddled everything up.

I liked the action, and the characters were distinct and memorable. A couple jokes felt forced, and I never really found myself laughing at "unintentionally funny" goofy poo poo.

Spoiler-time.

I think the stuff that bothered me the most were how they tried to gently caress with the Predator "lore", and I'm really trying to keep my fanboy bias in check with this. 'Predators' introduced new, bigger Predators that do (somewhat) different poo poo and even pick fights with "regular" Predators, but I was okay with it because the movie made it clear that the big guys were a different faction and didn't represent the entire species, and that "classic" Predators are still around and doing Predator things. Shane Black said in a few interviews that the "upgraded" Predators in his movie were also a faction and didn't represent the whole species, but it just didn't quite come across that was on-screen and I think that might be an editing issue, not necessarily Shane Black talking out of both sides of his mouth or something.

Theorizing that Predators rip spines not because they're taking trophies but because they're harvesting spinal fluid for DNA was a wacky "explanation" that I don't think anyone asked for. We're talking 'Prometheus'/'Alien Covenant' levels of unnecessary explanation here. I think it goes back to the movie not really conveying that these "upgrades" might be their own faction, because it kind of tries to overtly tie it back to the Predators' actions in the prior movies and it just doesn't feel right.

Part of me didn't like a Predator that had humanity's best interests at heart, but the more I think about it, the more of a novel idea it feels - I just wish it was executed better. Like, the Fugitive Predator who was trying to help humans absolutely killed the gently caress out of a ton of humans. Yeah it was cool action, and yeah I can get why he'd be pissed when he's restrained by a bunch of people and he breaks free, but it still felt like it undermined the idea of a rogue Predator who thinks hunting humans is bad.
I think a more novel idea is to have a sort of "pacifist" Predator - clearly convey that he's a combat badass who could wreck people's poo poo whenever he wants, but that he actively chooses not to and have him not kill any humans. Then, finally have a payoff of all his combat prowess by having him go apeshit on the antagonist Predator and show that maybe "upgrades" aren't everything. Also, having a Predator actually survive the events of the movie would be a refreshing change of pace.

The "global warming is going to kill us, so Predators are going buck-wild while they can" was a pretty dumb idea, and even dumber was the notion that the Predators might move in on Earth.

Predators biting the poo poo out of people with their mandibles was pretty great.

The Preda-dogs were... okay? When I first noticed that they had dreadlocks, part of me was afraid that they were actually radically genetically-altered Predators, but it didn't seem that way. I'm pretty okay with the notion that on Predator world perhaps other indigenous species have evolved thick dreadlocks, that's kind of a neat idea.

I got a chuckle at some of the callbacks. "Get to the choppers", "you are one beautiful motherfucker". There were even some AvP shout-outs - Lex's Alien-tail spear is in the glass case in the Stargazer lab, and the shurikens are straight out of the AvP movies. I wish we'd gotten to see more random Predator gear. The use of the decades-old fan-made Predator "font" was a nice touch, too.

The more I write this, the more I think my thoughts and opinions are settling down. On the whole I think it was worth a watch, but it's not as good as 'Predators' (which I really liked) and definitely not as good as the first two. It's not as schlocky-bad as 'AvP: Requiem', but it's also not as silly-fun, either. On the whole some of my initial complaints as I walked out of the theatre aren't bothering me as much anymore, but there's still some real goofy poo poo that especially makes the fanboy in me say "those are dumb and bad ideas."

Also here's a bunch of Predators standing together for a class photo on my shelf.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 17, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you're looking forwards to a genre/franchise film these days you really need to pray hard that there won't be too much studio interference fuckery and that they don't get left trying to cobble together a Frankenstein's monster of a movie from incomplete scenes and reshoots due to last minute script changes or cast changes or, god forbid, director changes.

Luck wasn't on our side this time. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you're looking forwards to a genre/franchise film these days you really need to pray hard that there won't be too much studio interference fuckery and that they don't get left trying to cobble together a Frankenstein's monster of a movie from incomplete scenes and reshoots due to last minute script changes or cast changes or, god forbid, director changes.

Luck wasn't on our side this time. :(
I think that's true in theory but not quite as true in practice, but maybe I'm the outlier in what I enjoy.
I had a real good time with 'Solo', and that got heavily messed with. 'The Last Jedi' is largely one guy's singular vision without much studio interference as far as I can tell, and I didn't care for it that much. I've liked every Marvel movie to date (some more than others), and you'd better believe those are made "by committee" and some have even had director changes. For a franchise film, I loved Blade Runner 2049.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress Solo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress Solo.

I think that’s a slang phrase for masturbation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well, not yet!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Watching Predator(a-loving-gain) and I've come around to the belief that if you want to do another Predator movie that takes place in the modern day, then literally just remake Predator. It can still be a sequel, but just make the same god drat movie. Badass mothers that are super tone deaf and have them all get hosed because they all fail to recognize the paradigm shift of the Predator.

If you want something new, give the Predator a different objective. I don't know what that might be but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s an AvP comic called AvP: Eternal that would make a good Predator movie. I say this because the Aliens are superfluous to the plot and could be excised without changing anything.

The basic gist of it is, a wealthy Japanese guy has been harvesting Predator tech and biology and has become enormously wealthy off of it, and has outfitted mercenary teams with refitted Predator gear that go out and hunt down Predators to take their poo poo.
It’s revealed that the Japanese guy is actually several hundred years old, and has been surviving because he learned that drinking Predator blood rejuvenates you and makes you live abnormally long. But he wants to live forever, and that means harvesting Predators.
Eventually the Predators get sick of his poo poo and just annihilate his operation.

The Japanese guy could only be played by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa.