Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

It was with two other folks but it was right after half time that everything started falling out of the sky so I guess maybe their team just took that advice better!

Yeah, ya'll got farmed. Should've just left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

I tried the reddit thing for threads_workload or whatever. It helped initially but I got a lot more hitches. I've set it to 6 now, but I have 6c/12t, and it's working pretty well.

yeah my performance in blackout is pretty disappointing but it's purely CPU bound due to my older machine. Runs pretty happily at 40FPS but then randomly hitches up.

Anyway here's my initial thoughts on blackout as a 2000 hour pubg sweet boy:

+ The netcode is astonishingly good considering it's 100 people per game on the loving call of duty engine. I seriously have no idea how they got it to work so well, there's no noticeable desync or lag. The only problem I experienced was randomly getting put onto 200+ ping servers, but that was only for a short period yesterday and EVEN THEN it was somehow still reasonably playable.
+ The time from game join to on the ground is just right. You plummet out of the chopper super quick, and the choppers traverse the map super quick, so it feels like there's little downtime between games.
+ The balance of scopes/range feels very good. Getting a scope never feels like a huge advantage outside of certain gun combinations which makes not getting a scope feel fine instead of unlucky and a chore.
+ Loot scarcity seems good, high value areas have enough great loot that it's worth dropping and loot is well enough distinguished that it doesn't all feel the same. I never felt that midgame "ok now I don't need to loot anymore".
+ Meds feel really well balanced. Being able to heal while moving is a massive improvement that helps keep the pace of a firefight going, there's no lulls while both parties hide in cover and patch themselves up.
+ Movement in general is just great all around, parkouring around areas adds so much to the gunplay.

- I don't like the map much. It suffers from the same problem that Sanhok (the latest PUBG map) suffers in my opinion where it's clusters of extremely good cover (houses, etc) surrounded by empty fields, only worse because there is generally scattered cover in the PUBG fields whereas here you're basically hosed.
- The sound design leaves a lot to be desired. This may need more playtime on my part but as far as I could tell footsteps aren't as well rendered (i.e what materials they are on, how far away, direction, etc) and neither are gunshots (inside or outside, how far, what guns, etc).
- I miss freelook and leaning.

Overall, I'm happy with it and it actually feels like a viable alternative to PUBG - finally - with the provisio that it's a less tactical and much faster paced experience. It was really weird for me getting used to the fact that the guns have no recoil outside of like, the LMGs, and it's normal to full auto someone over a hundred meters away. I played like four hours of this yesterday, then played a PUBG squads match, and I couldn't shoot for poo poo because I had to re-adjust to single shot/burst firing and spray control again.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The hit detection is really or the game has that CS thing where your hit ox lags severely behind your character. I swear in shooting people and getting no hitmarkers at all. Blops3 had this too but it seems even worse.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RBX posted:

The hit detection is really or the game has that CS thing where your hit ox lags severely behind your character. I swear in shooting people and getting no hitmarkers at all. Blops3 had this too but it seems even worse.

fix ur rates

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's not just you, the netcode/hitreg has been wonky for me at times too. One of my very first Blackout matches I got gunned down and watched the killcam - dude's aim was way off and he blew almost a whole mag at the empty air behind me and yet still got a hit marker on every single bullet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Never trust kill cams, they're generally not 1:1 for what they saw and did.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Philthy posted:

Never trust kill cams, they're generally not 1:1 for what they saw and did.

You can shriek that at full volume at the top of your lungs until the heat death of the universe but it won't stop goons from complaining about what they saw in a kill cam and how it proves lag/cheater/some other bullshit 100%.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Like the only thing kill cams are good for is being able to call out a camping spot if you're playing a game that you can respawn in. Don't even bother watching them if you can't understand that what you see is probably way off.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Hot tip: never watch kill cams

All you're doing is wasting everyone else's time while we wait for you to load back into the lobby.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is this game $50 good

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

is this game $50 good

yes

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
drat I take it this has come up before. Never played a CoD before, didn’t know it had dubious killcams.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Are there games with non-dubious kill cams? Maybe one that is strict about dedicated servers?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, that advice can be universally applied to all games with kill cams.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not talking kill cams, I'm watching my gameplay. And Blackout has a 10hz update rate so it's gonna be wonky.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Are there games with non-dubious kill cams? Maybe one that is strict about dedicated servers?

In CoD, the only non dubious kills will be what the theater shows you, because that's what the server thinks happened.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm getting wrecked in about 2/3 of my fights. I've never played a CoD game in my life so I think I'm at a disadvantage for a while. I don't know how anything works but I'm having fun :haw:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What gear is everyone using?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im using the titan machine gun because i like to shoot a lot of bullets

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Am I a moron for running a rocket launcher? I'm mostly playing control.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone know a surefire way to deal with the ABC error? I've tried rebooting my pc and router and scan and repair. I'm updating GPU drivers now, and hoping that will work.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

poe meater posted:

No, you're just being an actual useful teammate taking down UAVs etc

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Vaah posted:

No, you're just being an actual useful teammate taking down UAVs etc

thats another reason i like the MG actually, you can just throw all sorts of fire into things. also i like to play domination so having some MG up is some decent crowd control i guess. idfk, its fun and they did a superb job with the way guns feel in this game.

practically feels like my mouse has tactile feedback sometimes

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We had 6 people on last night so we decided to try the 6 v 6 modes.

We were all level 1s and somehow it decided to pair us up against level 40+ people.

We felt good to get maybe 3 kills the entire match. What the gently caress.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Philthy posted:

We had 6 people on last night so we decided to try the 6 v 6 modes.

We were all level 1s and somehow it decided to pair us up against level 40+ people.

We felt good to get maybe 3 kills the entire match. What the gently caress.

Yeah there's no/next to no rank or skill based matchmaking system

My favorite part in games like that is when you lose the round, then they pop all their saved scorestreaks that carried over and just snowball.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vaah posted:

Yeah there's no/next to no rank or skill based matchmaking system

This poo poo is baffling to me. I know that there's no competitive mode in yet, but in other games like Overwatch there's still a secret MMR behind the scenes even in casual playlists that tries to match equally-skilled players so games are decently balanced. It doesn't seem to be the case here, because the quality of my teammates and opponents is so wildly varied game to game. I guess this could be as a consequence of the newness of the game, but I hope it settles down soon.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Goddamn doing those operator challenges is tedious. Do you get anything for completing them?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

poe meater posted:

As long as you're not using it on the enemy (because anti-personnel damage has been nerfed on them every year), then no. Anti-air is always useful.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

poe meater posted:

apparently most tryhard pro streamers tend to run the rocket launcher for the aforementioned complete and utter nullification of most scoresteaks

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bardeh posted:

This poo poo is baffling to me. I know that there's no competitive mode in yet, but in other games like Overwatch there's still a secret MMR behind the scenes even in casual playlists that tries to match equally-skilled players so games are decently balanced. It doesn't seem to be the case here, because the quality of my teammates and opponents is so wildly varied game to game. I guess this could be as a consequence of the newness of the game, but I hope it settles down soon.

Nah this is how COD is and how the community prefers it. Everytime SBMM has been put in its been a bad time. Especially on PC not knowing if this big launch numbers will sustain we don't need that kind of stuff.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

poe meater posted:

On of the mentioned scorestreak killing, Rocket Launchers are by far the best way to deal with Barbed Wire and Barricades.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

does killing a teammate with barbed wire actually count as a tk lol

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ran into a team last night that knew their poo poo when it came to turtling. They had holed up in the back room of a gas station, placing barbed wire just inside the door, trip mines, and had stockpiled loads of flashbangs and cluster grenades. Once we managed to take out the barbed wire, we started lobbing our own grenades and trying to peak the corner to shoot. It was all too much for us to deal with though and they had clearly stockpiled more ordinance than we had. Our entire team went down trying to dislodge them from their snake-hole.

It got me thinking that since loot is so abundant in this game that turtling in key locations might be a really stupidly viable strategy for lategame survival. There's so many defensive tools in this game compared to PUBG, and if you choose that loot accordingly you can really be a force to be reckoned with in the right circumstances.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Siets posted:

Ran into a team last night that knew their poo poo when it came to turtling. They had holed up in the back room of a gas station, placing barbed wire just inside the door, trip mines, and had stockpiled loads of flashbangs and cluster grenades. Once we managed to take out the barbed wire, we started lobbing our own grenades and trying to peak the corner to shoot. It was all too much for us to deal with though and they had clearly stockpiled more ordinance than we had. Our entire team went down trying to dislodge them from their snake-hole.

It got me thinking that since loot is so abundant in this game that turtling in key locations might be a really stupidly viable strategy for lategame survival. There's so many defensive tools in this game compared to PUBG, and if you choose that loot accordingly you can really be a force to be reckoned with in the right circumstances.

You need a trophy system or you’ll all die to one cluster grenade.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VulgarandStupid posted:

You need a trophy system or you’ll all die to one cluster grenade.

Do these need line-of-site to the projectile, or just need to be in the area to function? We actually made sure not to bunch up and tried to systematically take them down.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
It's too bad I cant run shotgun and rocket launcher. I think anyways...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Siets posted:

Do these need line-of-site to the projectile, or just need to be in the area to function? We actually made sure not to bunch up and tried to systematically take them down.

No idea, I've thrown them to clear out my inventory but I prefer attacking, flanking and pushing. Can't have them taking up my valuable inventory space.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
turtling in the end-game stages of a match is dumb as hell, you're just throwing yourself at the mercy of RNG.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Definitely. One thing that too many hours of PUBG has taught me is that the vast majority of BR players are panicy bundles of nerves, especially later in the game. Being the one pushing/attacking exacerbates that and gives you a huge advantage most of the time.

The only exception to this is when you have great position/cover and you know that the circle is going to push guys directly into you without cover. In that rare case, don't be the hero who pushes out solo and gets wrecked because you're not as good at shooting mans as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You also won't get too many finishes (down+kill) if you don't take the enemy space. It's very easy to peak from behind a tree or building, and if you go down you just scoot right behind your cover and wait for a revive. If you don't flank or finish, they'll just revive and you'll in turn burn through all of your ammo and meds.