Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Raab just said "if the EU want a deal they need to get serious" and I'm screaming at my TV that when one party has all the leverage in a negotiation they don't need to make the big compromises.

Bring this government down by any means necessary.

"In 1938 Nazi Germany was invaded....errrr invaded Czechoslovakia" is some zinger from Dominic Raab.

How are the #FBPE crew taking this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chucat posted:

How are the #FBPE crew taking this?
Pretty much the same as us, "he is in cloud cuckoo land and why does the EU need to be the one getting serious when it's his mess" but with the continued loving irritating carrier that the six tests don't exist and Nando's voted Brexit in Corby and "I wish there was an opposition I could vote for."

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not Operator posted:

Think about what the brexit situation was like when you last checked in.

Its still that but with a fraction of the time left to deal with it.
Hey now, that's unfair and untrue.

Anyone who last checked in after the NI backstop was agreed but before May tore it up at Chequers might get the impression that literally any progress whatsoever has happened, which it hasn't.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Laura Kuenssberg seems to be under the impression that May is just trying to grt through conference by saying whatever is necessary before crawling to the EU with some kind of compromise.

It also seems likely that the next major negotiations with the EU that were due for November will be pushed back to January, which... *tugs collar*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know it's the Tory conference but it is kinda funny how instead of crowing about how irrelevant Labour are they're each basically doing a five minute hate about Emmanuel Corbsteen for a set period each speech.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/LauraCatriona/status/1046725049644929025

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Tesseraction posted:

I know it's the Tory conference but it is kinda funny how instead of crowing about how irrelevant Labour are they're each basically doing a five minute hate about Emmanuel Corbsteen for a set period each speech.

They do this all the time because they have nothing.

They can't talk about how much better they'd make things because they wouldn't. So they have to talk about how much worse labour will be.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Junior G-man posted:

Raab telling the Tory conf that the eu must get serious about Brexit is so unbelievably :ironicat:

This is pretty much the narrative they've been pushing for 18 months now though? Oh we are negotiating in good faith and Barmy Brussels is doing nothing! Oh we offered borderless solutions for Ireland but Barmy Brussels shot the, down! Etc etc, it's why the tabloid headlines have pushed this poo poo so hard too, to set up a nice stabbed in the back story for why you've got to queue 4 hours for a mouldy turnip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Well, another two figures from my childhood gone:

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsEnts/status/1046725362590339072

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1046742616577134592

And the rule of threes working much quicker than normal:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1046748388946038784

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MikeCrotch posted:

Laura Kuenssberg seems to be under the impression that May is just trying to grt through conference by saying whatever is necessary before crawling to the EU with some kind of compromise.

Well... yeah? No deal is gonna be terrible and no matter how much they try and spin it as the EU's fault, unless we get a war to distract everyone there'll be a distinct lack of Great Success and the Tories are gonna get blamed

The flip side of "no deal is better than a bad deal" is that any deal with the EU must therefore be good, so when May throws herself on the mercy of Brussels and cries SAVE ME she can come back saying good news, we agreed stuff and it's good now, just like when Cameron fixed the EU

That's assuming she doesn't just resign of course, just like when Cameron fixed the EU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
May will never resign: she's spent her entire life getting into that chair and to a certain kind of politician the power and privilege will always outweigh the speaking fees washed up PMs can command. She'll have to be forced out either by GE or party revolt.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

CUNT CORPORATIONS!TAX!!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

More widely on Labour Gove said, applause:

"This week, in this party, for the sake of our children, let us commit to unite so that the Moscow-loving, Hamas-hugging, high-taxing, moderate-bashing, job-destroying, national anthem-avoiding, NATO-hating, class war-provoking, one-man museum of economic folly that is Jeremy Corbyn, is never let anywhere near Downing Street."

That's some unexpected high praise for Jeremy Corbyn, there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1046730917929250816?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hmm yes the speed limit is the issue

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1046741070422437891?s=19

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kassad posted:

That's some unexpected high praise for Jeremy Corbyn, there.

lol they're legitimately terrified atm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

lol they're legitimately terrified atm

who would have seen that pushing all of your policies to benefit the old wouldn't pan out indefinitely

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

some solid shade from the Graun live blod here

quote:

Next up to speak is Ruth Davidson, leader of the Scottish Tories and a perennial conference favourite, mainly as she’s one of the very few senior Conservatives who knows how to properly deliver a speech. She gets a rousing reception, even though TV cutaway shots seem to show the conference hall is by no means full of delegates.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It’s extremely fitting that Labour conference seems like a proper festival punctuated by more political speeches than usual, and that Tory conference is basically synonymous with a wake for a really racist white guy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

who would have seen that pushing all of your policies to benefit the old wouldn't pan out indefinitely
Unfortunately a policy of "gently caress cities and everywhere but the south" might continue to work even better for quite a while.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Is it not full because there are no Tories, or because Davidson is a lesbian?

Unrelated but I got into an argument with a friend recently about how godawful JK Rowling is. Easy to point to her trying to get street cred by making HP "progressive" by making Dumbledore gay etc...but is there any summary of her actual awful political beliefs and takes?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

winegums posted:

Unrelated but I got into an argument with a friend recently about how godawful JK Rowling is. Easy to point to her trying to get street cred by making HP "progressive" by making Dumbledore gay etc...but is there any summary of her actual awful political beliefs and takes?

she's much less awful than the average brit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winegums posted:

is there any summary of her actual awful political beliefs and takes?

She appears to have helpfully published an autobiographical list of them quite recently.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

winegums posted:

Jfc if you dont know why someone is bad or how to demonstrate it then dont say they are. Its intellectually dishonest.

There is no Mao’s little red book to consult every time a name crops up that you know in your gut might be bad but can’t remember why. Thats a real weird way to engage in argument.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
rowling's a terf

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

winegums posted:

probably a bit of both

Rakosi posted:

Jfc if you dont know why someone is bad

otoh sometimes you can tell how someone is awful just by a casual reading of their posts

like you, for instance

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rakosi posted:

Jfc if you dont know why someone is bad or how to demonstrate it then dont say they are. Its intellectually dishonest.

There is no Mao’s little red book to consult every time a name crops up that you know in your gut might be bad but can’t remember why. Thats a real weird way to engage in argument.

I can certainly see why you would be afraid of people trusting that little sense in the back of their head that says "I vaguely remember this person being a knobhead but can't quite remember why."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gum posted:

rowling's a terf

not just a TERF, but specifically went TERF to spite Corbyn

also she's racist as poo poo, see her anti-Semitic banker goblins, her making an Asian character called "Cho Chang" and Nagini is an Indonesian snake played by a Korean woman because "it's all Asia"

also she backed Jonny Depp once it was revealed he was a domestic abuser

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

OwlFancier posted:

I can certainly see why you would be afraid of people trusting that little sense in the back of their head that says "I vaguely remember this person being a knobhead but can't quite remember why."

This is really more “i think i heard this person was actually surprisingly less wholesome than you’d expect, in what ways is this true?” confirmation bias

Jk rowling could be a complete oval office for all i care but its weird af to consult the internet for your zingers to take back to your friend. Like, do your research but dont ask people to do it for you and then tell you it second hand.

You’d think this thread would be wary of that kind of skullduggery

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Rakosi posted:

I'm aware of lots of bits and pieces she's done and said that have wound me up, but it's mixed in a big sea of lovely political takes and of them all in one place would be good.

e: just like I put you on ignore for badposting, but can't remember why.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:siren: it's happening :siren:

:siren: AGAIN :siren:

https://twitter.com/syalrajeev/status/1046764699478618113?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Rakosi posted:

This is really more “i think i heard this person was actually surprisingly less wholesome than you’d expect, in what ways is this true?” confirmation bias

Jk rowling could be a complete oval office for all i care but its weird af to consult the internet for your zingers to take back to your friend. Like, do your research but dont ask people to do it for you and then tell you it second hand.

doing research can involve asking people what they know

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Seems to me if we gently caress with the foundation a bit, the conversatives are ruined?

a good cartoon?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rakosi posted:

Like, do your research but dont ask people to do it for you and then tell you it second hand.

Sounds like individualist talk to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gum posted:

doing research can involve asking people what they know

times like this rather missing ober

why'd he have to go get murdered by a cucked yank

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah I don't think she's actually History's Greatest Monster or anything, but the amount of effort she puts into trying to look extremely progressive and woke really emphasises that she's actually a bit of a poo poo. And, being an incredibly vocal and opinionated poo poo with legions of adoring fans kind of amplifies the effects of her lovely opinions.

Basically, she's just a total hypocrite: pretends to be woke as gently caress when actually a bit racist and apparently a TERF (I did not know that), virulently New Labour despite only being able to get rich herself due to a welfare system which New Labour dismantled.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely think she's history's greatest monster.

I certainly can't think of any other historical monsters who are quite as annoying to me at this moment.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rakosi posted:

Rowling had liked TERF bullshit, is completely blind to her own racism/antisemitism (which is on the gentle Liberal side as opposed to full on white power but that's not high praise) while making GBS threads on other people (especially corbyn) for lesser offenses and agreed to cast Depp who is a domestic abuser (and then backed him iirc) in her movies despite supposedly being a feminist. gently caress Rowling.

Now remind me why I remember you being an rear end? Are you a ukmt visiting nazi or one of the I/P trolls?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also, vaguely remembering that you reached an opinion without remembering the reasons for reaching it is pretty loving normal, and asking around to check when you can't remember what the reasons are is actually cool and good and the kinds of people who do that tend to be right more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Psh, ya all know exactly what i mean. No way that dude gonna do anything more than repeat what you guys tell him with a request like that. Doesnt matter if you’re wrong or right about JK its just weird to have someone ask you for the words to reply to someone with rather than the knowledge of an issue. It makes your ‘beliefs’ about an issue vacuous and disingenuous if you copy paste them from internet forums.

Ps im definitely not a nazi or troll i promise

• Locked thread