Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

I have been following a lot of suggestions for mappers but no one even comes close to Benny for me. A lot of the other suggested ones are good but they are more technical or challenging while benny's maps are both challenging (though not too hard) but just a dream to play, very dancy and fun.

Does anyone have any mapper suggestions for mappers similar to BennyDaBeast's style?

Fafurion

Hes the new Benny. I love benny, we're buddies. But straight up Faf kills him with actual dancing. Bennys still making good maps but Faf actually thinks about the dancing most of the time instead of just body wiggle these days. Old benny maps are far far better dance maps.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Skyarb posted:

I have been following a lot of suggestions for mappers but no one even comes close to Benny for me. A lot of the other suggested ones are good but they are more technical or challenging while benny's maps are both challenging (though not too hard) but just a dream to play, very dancy and fun.

Does anyone have any mapper suggestions for mappers similar to BennyDaBeast's style?

I've really enjoyed all the stuff by IKILLPXLS for someone just barely squeeking into Expert difficulty like myself, but your musical preferences may vary.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

EbolaIvory posted:

Fafurion

Hes the new Benny. I love benny, we're buddies. But straight up Faf kills him with actual dancing. Bennys still making good maps but Faf actually thinks about the dancing most of the time instead of just body wiggle these days. Old benny maps are far far better dance maps.

Awesome I'll check him out though you're skill is significantly higher than mine so I am a bit nervous haha

Chewbot posted:

I've really enjoyed all the stuff by IKILLPXLS for someone just barely squeeking into Expert difficulty like myself, but your musical preferences may vary.

Unfortunately I don't really like any of the songs but I'll still check it out, thanks!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Just picked up BS after a 10 day absence. SyncSaber grabbed a bunch of new tracks for me and I spent the night sight reading them all once. I missed this.

Also, I think there's only like 2 songs I've ever #1'd, and it's always in the first couple days, but here's today's.

P.S. Hi QTPop!

Edit: Benny's new track (Pretty Girl) is a lot of fun too, recommend it.
Edit2: Fafurions new track (Moves like Jagger) was also hella fun.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 1, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I just played every single fafurion song.

First off, I totally get that liking one mapper over another is completely and utterly subjective. And for the record I do like him, he is very dancy and fun.

Buuuuuuttttt He is just not hard at all. There is so little challenge I often found myself bored. Also he has a couple moves he relies on too heavily in almost every map of his. Firstly I really loved the side to side swipes he does, I found that fun, but it became less fun when it was in almost every song. But what takes the cake as a huge crutch for him is he loves putting in walls that are preceded by an opposite double swipe you kind of push the wall away. Its a cute flourish but he does it in EVERY SINGLE SONG and it becomes a bit redundant and also kind of boring since he typically uses long walls.

Take a look at Benny's new song Pretty Girl for some super interesting uses of walls to really make your body do interesting and fun stuff.

I still appreciate the suggestion, and look forward to the stuff he continues to put out, but still Benny is #1 in my heart!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

First off, I totally get that liking one mapper over another is completely and utterly subjective. And for the record I do like him, he is very dancy and fun.

Buuuuuuttttt He is just not hard at all. There is so little challenge I often found myself bored. Also he has a couple moves he relies on too heavily in almost every map of his. Firstly I really loved the side to side swipes he does, I found that fun, but it became less fun when it was in almost every song. But what takes the cake as a huge crutch for him is he loves putting in walls that are preceded by an opposite double swipe you kind of push the wall away. Its a cute flourish but he does it in EVERY SINGLE SONG and it becomes a bit redundant and also kind of boring since he typically uses long walls.

Take a look at Benny's new song Pretty Girl for some super interesting uses of walls to really make your body do interesting and fun stuff.

I still appreciate the suggestion, and look forward to the stuff he continues to put out, but still Benny is #1 in my heart!

Fafwalls ™

I totally get that. I still say his maps dance better than benny though. I agree his "dance" stuff isnt hard. But thats kinda the point. They are OST expert basically. With that said, bass drop and talus are both more speedy maps. and no Fafwalls ™

The walls have kind of almost become a running joke. They always tend to work where he uses em but its totally how Fafwalls™ became a thing.

BTW Faf/benny collab coming soon. ;)

Gerdalti posted:

P.S. Hi QTPop!

Hi!

What a goofy map that was. I'm not really a Tenacious D fan. But that song man. Haha

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 1, 2019

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Skyarb posted:

Fafwalls are a trip. I did the same thing a few weeks ago and noticed the same thing. Really, if you play a bunch of songs by any mapper in a row you start to notice their "thing". Benny uses the hell out of the "2 notes down, then one hand high, 2 notes down again, then other hand high”. I call it the Bennyhop in my head.
Edit: you can even see a variant of it in Pretty Girl, start at 26 seconds. Phone posting otherwise I'd direct link. https://youtu.be/ypLvGRy0hSQ

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 1, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Saxman was so fun, I kind of am in love with it, obviously not hard but just so fun and funny!

God I really love this game.

Fafwalls haha that makes sense. And yeah Benny has his own things for sure too. I really want benny to take on some of the fun two handed side by sides faf does a lot, hopefully he'll learn about it after the collab, thats super exciting!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Sooooo I’m addicted to pentachrome (5 color chomeatoggle mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2M_Rj0wBrk

Chromatoggle has made this game new and fresh again. It’s bringing new life to otherwise dead maps for me. What a good time. Highly recommend.

Also rgb lighting is amazing.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

EbolaIvory posted:

Sooooo I’m addicted to pentachrome (5 color chomeatoggle mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2M_Rj0wBrk

Chromatoggle has made this game new and fresh again. It’s bringing new life to otherwise dead maps for me. What a good time. Highly recommend.

Also rgb lighting is amazing.

I watched the video but couldnt tell how it differs from two colors, aside from just being more colorful. Do you have to manually change what color is in your hand or something?

Now that I’m finally creeping into expert+ the only flaw I’ve found in this game is that I keep outgrowing my favorite tracks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chewbot posted:

I watched the video but couldnt tell how it differs from two colors, aside from just being more colorful. Do you have to manually change what color is in your hand or something?

Now that I’m finally creeping into expert+ the only flaw I’ve found in this game is that I keep outgrowing my favorite tracks.

Yeah, you pull the trigger on the hand for each color. Pink and red = left and blue/green right. Grey is either hand which, honestly is worse than color swaps lol.

So if I have to hit red blocks, I hold left trigger during those blocks. Green, same deal, but right trigger

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
After bashing my head against expert for a while, I finally get it. I can do streams now! My brain turns off and they just happen.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-updated-steamvr-tracking-because-beat-saber-players-were-too-fast/

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I made a map. I don't have a lot of time as an adult with a kid to do that, so it will probably not have anything except E+, but it is free it had that going for it.

https://bsaber.com/songs/12871/

There's a neat new preview thing here, too: https://supermedium.com/beatsaver-viewer/?id=12871-13808

Might take a minute to load, and look down and make sure you're facing the same directing as your feet if you can't get outta the AR view.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 14, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Been quiet in here.

I did a thing tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/385300143

Overkill - Nuketime. Pentachrome (5 colors).

I really should have not gone that hard for my second or whatever song for the night. But we did the shrek movie so it was pretty chill for 90 min after that.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

EbolaIvory posted:

Been quiet in here.

I did a thing tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/385300143

Overkill - Nuketime. Pentachrome (5 colors).

I really should have not gone that hard for my second or whatever song for the night. But we did the shrek movie so it was pretty chill for 90 min after that.

That was loving amazing.

I love that everyone sounds the same playing this game...
*Exhales loudly*
poo poo
*Deep breath*
Oh no
*Gasps*
Damnit
poo poo
There we go
Etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gerdalti posted:

That was loving amazing.

I love that everyone sounds the same playing this game...
*Exhales loudly*
poo poo
*Deep breath*
Oh no
*Gasps*
Damnit
poo poo
There we go
Etc.

Hahaha Yeah man, Normally I can play stuff like that pretty whatever (in normal colors) but when its early in the night and I throw myself at it. I know I laid on the ground there for a bit after for sure (literally).

Thanks for the kind words :D

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I made a thing!

https://bsaber.com/songs/13628/

This is the first song that I've mapped. It took me about two full days, and I'm really happy with the outcome. It's dancy and has a fun drum breakdown and I think it flows well. Only one difficulty (Expert); I started to make a Hard version and it just seemed too grueling to go through. LMK what you think!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This game rules and I've been having a blast trying out different songs but holy poo poo have some mappers never played the game before?

Also streams of dot blocks are lazy as gently caress and the quickest way for me to delete your song.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Previa_fun posted:

This game rules and I've been having a blast trying out different songs but holy poo poo have some mappers never played the game before?

Also streams of dot blocks are lazy as gently caress and the quickest way for me to delete your song.

2 minutes of continuous downward slashes on beat is the laziest and shittiest way to map a song. You had best have a really good reason to have two consecutive red and two consecutive blue downward slashes, because almost anything is more fun than that. A lot of the lovely maps are from music game nerds who think that difficult=fun, even if the difficulty is just "here's three quick notes one behind another with bombs behind the last note and all along the sides" which, yes technically that's difficult but gently caress you. Same with two notes shaped like this in the center of your vision: [<][>], yeah stabbing and dragging outwards is difficult but not fun at all.

If there are hidden bombs in walls I will immediately exit out and delete. That's the quickest way for me to delete a song.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Also, mappers who make lines of same-colored blocks in a slashing movement swap places are jerks.

Block movement is supposed to cue you for positioning (like in vanilla beat saber when red and blue swap), not add useless motion for no good reason. The map should reward coordination, not punish people whose perception works a particular way.

It doesn't look good, it looks cheap.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Also, mappers who make lines of same-colored blocks in a slashing movement swap places are jerks.

Block movement is supposed to cue you for positioning (like in vanilla beat saber when red and blue swap), not add useless motion for no good reason. The map should reward coordination, not punish people whose perception works a particular way.

It doesn't look good, it looks cheap.

Are you talking about how the blocks move around as they enter your view? Because mappers don't have any control over that; they just say where and when blocks appear and give a global setting for how fast they appear. The game engine does the rest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Are you talking about how the blocks move around as they enter your view? Because mappers don't have any control over that; they just say where and when blocks appear and give a global setting for how fast they appear. The game engine does the rest.

Not entirely true. Theres some json editing that can be done to change "when" the notes flip over to there final spots. Offset something + bpm + something else. With that said, They will always be on the grid where they were laid down in the editor. Unless a mod like Chromatoggle fucks with things live. Which. Is a thing. Nightmare mode is scary O_O

New FAF map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMRXv-HWt8&t=2s

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/14102-15227

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Welp I've come to the realization that beat saber is 99% of my VR play at this point, and since the rift can be had for $330 I went ahead and sold my odyssey+. Should I buy a 3rd lighthouse right away or see if I can get 2 to work in my space without any tracking issues?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Full Circle posted:

Welp I've come to the realization that beat saber is 99% of my VR play at this point, and since the rift can be had for $330 I went ahead and sold my odyssey+. Should I buy a 3rd lighthouse right away or see if I can get 2 to work in my space without any tracking issues?

You'll be fine with 2 sensors for 180 degree play (beat saber). You only really need 3 if you play games where you turn around (physically).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Full Circle posted:

2 will be fine for saber. Pickup a second touch kit when you can burn 100 bucks.

Also buy some springs from ace hardware.

To be totally honest. I only got the third because I had the money to burn and when I would go prone in Onward my gun would drift. Everything else worked great on the 2 camera 360 setup. I'd still use Forward Face 2 sensors though for saber. Just sayin, the trackings really decent with 2 regardless, if you just take the time to set it up right.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

2 will be fine for saber. Pickup a second touch kit when you can burn 100 bucks.

Also buy some springs from ace hardware.

To be totally honest. I only got the third because I had the money to burn and when I would go prone in Onward my gun would drift. Everything else worked great on the 2 camera 360 setup. I'd still use Forward Face 2 sensors though for saber. Just sayin, the trackings really decent with 2 regardless, if you just take the time to set it up right.

Cool, I'll be sure to get those springs. What's the reasoning behind buying a second touch kit?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Full Circle posted:

Cool, I'll be sure to get those springs. What's the reasoning behind buying a second touch kit?

The touch kit includes a camera, and only costs $30 more than the camera on its own. So you're basically getting a backup pair of controllers for only $30.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/1102611891543834624

:bisonyes:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

They also confirmed this will include the PS4 songs on PC! :D

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Is it bad that I'm more annoyed that it will briefly break custom songs than I am glad for more official tracks?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So don't update until custom songs work again? :thunk:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Full Circle posted:

Is it bad that I'm more annoyed that it will briefly break custom songs than I am glad for more official tracks?

Very briefly, if previous patches have been any indication.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Full Circle posted:

Covered by.

Enos Cabell posted:

The touch kit includes a camera, and only costs $30 more than the camera on its own. So you're basically getting a backup pair of controllers for only $30.

With that said, You're going to end up replacing a controller or warrantying one at some point. Zero downtime for 30 bucks is a steal.

This also lets you use "ANY" gun stock you want. Mamut for example has you mount poo poo to your controllers. I wouldn't want the magnets on while playing saber and it takes a hot min to take em off. So backup/stock pair is super clutch.

Hellsau posted:

Very briefly, if previous patches have been any indication.

Offline mode in steam when you run beat saber, and set steam to only update beat saber on launch. Its gonna be a couple days at least.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Covered by.

With that said, You're going to end up replacing a controller or warrantying one at some point. Zero downtime for 30 bucks is a steal.

This also lets you use "ANY" gun stock you want. Mamut for example has you mount poo poo to your controllers. I wouldn't want the magnets on while playing saber and it takes a hot min to take em off. So backup/stock pair is super clutch.

Offline mode in steam when you run beat saber, and set steam to only update beat saber on launch. Its gonna be a couple days at least.

Eh, you could also just copy beat saber over to a second folder and launch the EXE from there and run the old goodness and test out new hotness as mods get updated as necessary.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
So what's the consensus on good, breathable replacement eye padding for an Oculus headset? I'm getting into beatsaber expert and expert+ and I'm a real sweatface.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

heckyeahpathy posted:

So what's the consensus on good, breathable replacement eye padding for an Oculus headset? I'm getting into beatsaber expert and expert+ and I'm a real sweatface.

VRCover.

also get a bandana or something

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

VRCover.

also get a bandana or something

Seconding all of this.

Bandannas rule.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Any guesses on that pixelated panel to the right of extras? Baked in support for customs is too much to hope for because of copyright concerns, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

This looks hella fun. I’ve got to get better so I can play stuff like this.