Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Give sword to ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
But... but... that's our sword!

Hmph. Fine. He can have the sword, but I reserve the right to sulk and pout.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

inflatablefish posted:

But... but... that's our sword!

Hmph. Fine. He can have the sword, but I reserve the right to sulk and pout.

Your right has been reserved, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Story Card 59 Continued

Free Action:
If you have Clue 2, you may attempt to discard it and give it to the ghost. TO do so, discard it and draw Clue 32.
We have opted to give the ghost a sword!

Chapter 02 - Clue 32
You offer the sabre to the advancing apparition. He pauses and takes it, sliding the sword into the scabbard. It fits perfectly.
He looks at you and starts to speak.
Move forward 2 spaces on the psychic scale. Lower danger meter by two. Go to Story Card 34.
We are now at minimum danger and at the highest level of Psychic Power. Any more points on the psychic scale secure our position but do not otherwise improve it.
Chapter 02 - Page 34
"I am General Henry Marsden of the Union Army, and this estate has passed through my family for generations, ever since the first settlers built this town. I regret I cannot stay long, for though our meeting has invigorated me, I must soon return to my penance... below. Before I go, however, I will answer any one inquiry you may have."
CHOOSE ONE, THEN CONTINUE
[i]If you ask the ghost about the noises in the basement, draw CLUE 28.
If you ask the ghost about other ghosts in the mansion, draw CLUE 36.
If you ask the ghost about your nightmares, draw CLUE 43.

---------------------------------------

If you return to the hallway, go to Story Card 40.
----
If you check out the bathroom, go to Story Card 50.

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Danger Meter: 03 points, Difficulty 01.

Current Items:
Pocketknife: +1 to Fighting Challenges
Battery: Is a battery. Might be useful to power something later. We have 2!
Satellite Dish: Psychic senses say it's important. No currently known use.
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Truck Keys: Keys to a truck, probably. Psychically significant.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Large Metal Rod: It's no dowel, but it'll do I guess. Psychically significant.
Briefcase Full Of Money: Our psychic senses indicate that it's important. Also our regular senses.
Glass Key: We found it in a book. Psychically significant.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 5, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Aww, look at that face. I can't stay mad at you.

(Though I note with some dismay that you haven't put our Danger down by two like it said to.)

Let's keep our eyes on the prize and ask about the noises in the basement!
Then let's check out the bathroom.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

inflatablefish posted:

Aww, look at that face. I can't stay mad at you.

(Though I note with some dismay that you haven't put our Danger down by two like it said to.)

Let's keep our eyes on the prize and ask about the noises in the basement!
Then let's check out the bathroom.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, based on the responses above we're going to investigate Bathroom and Noises. Update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Page 34 Continued
We opted to ask about Basement Noises and then go to the bathroom, so first we go to Clue 28 ...

Chapter 02 - Clue 28
"My great-great-great grandson has built some kind of laboratory beneath the house. You'll need this if you wish to get very far." Your psychic sense tell you this is an important item.
Keep this item. Move forward 1 space on the Psychic Scale. Finish back of Story Card 34.
Then we go to Story Card 50
Chapter 02 - Story Card 50
You enter the bathroom and close the door behind you -- only to jump about three feet in the air when the door suddenly bulges inward with a loud THUD. Frost spreads across the bathroom mirror, and you stand so still you almost stop breathing until the frost finally stops spreading. It recedes, and the scary, bulging door returns to its normal shape.
The bathroom is decorated in various shades of green, and a claw-foot tub sits against one wall. There's a hatch in the ceiling - maybe it leads to the attic. You lean out a small window and see a drainpipe on the house's exterior wall. Leaning out farther, you see another window and through it, paintings on the wall. The sun is setting, and the rain is really coming down now, so climbing the drainpipe to the gallery would be tricky.

Optional Climbing Challenge: Climb down the drainpipe to the window of the art gallery
WIN: Lower Danger Meter by four and go to Story Card 32.
LOSE: Raise Danger Meter by one and try again

---------------------------

This one's atypical - we can either do the challenge above (and if we try it, we're locked into it until we succeed) which takes us back to the gallery (where we have been, but have at least 1 unchecked branch) or

Skip the drainpipe and climb up into the ceiling hatch by going to Story Card 53.

Current Psychic Power: 22 points, Level 05.

Current Danger Meter: 01 point, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:
Large Wooden Dowel: I like to think of it as an Andie. Psychically significant and +2 to Strength challenges.
Whirring Metal Sphere: It's less whirring and more glowing now. Psychically significant.
Marsden Family Ring: It's a fancy ring we found under a sleeping stuffed mouse. It's psychically significant.
Doll Queen Proof: We have defeated the Doll Queen in a psychic piano battle, and while there is no tangible evidence, we will carry this in our hearts forever.
Doll King Proof: We have also defeated the Doll King in a more humdrum but equally difficult Psychic Staring Contest. This has changed our lives in some way.
Briefcase Full Of Money: Our psychic senses indicate that it's important. Also our regular senses.
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Drain the swamp

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
What a strange challenge! We'd need to fail it 5 times in a row before it became a net gain to Danger!
But we've already been to the Art Gallery so I'm more interested in the ceiling hatch.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
After a vote and a coinflip, we're going to the Ceiling Hatch.
Chapter 05 - Page 53
After a short climb, you're in the attic. It's dusty and creepy, and there's another ladder here.
The second ladder leads to the roof, but you can see through the window that the storm has really intensified: It's pouring outside now. You poke your head out through the window and discover a stout vine on the outside wall that could easily hold your weight. And most importantly, thanks to a wide overhang, climbing out this way would keep you dry. You can see through the French doors on the ground that lead to the study.

Please vote between:
If you climb up the ladder to the roof, go to Story Card 43.
---
If you climb down the vine to the study, go to Story Card 33.
Note: We have been to 33, and it is a straight shot to the end of the chapter with no other options. If you choose 33, please indicate where you'd like to go from the Chapter End.

Current Psychic Power: 22 points, Level 05.

Current Items:
Keycard: It's like a glass key, but not made of glass and is a card. Psychically significant.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 5, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's climb out onto the roof and shout that all gods are bastards!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

inflatablefish posted:

Let's climb out onto the roof and shout that all gods are bastards!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay I'm gonna have to start charging you royalties for these.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We have voted for going to the roof.
Chapter 05 - Page 43
After ascending the ladder, you're on the roof. It's completely drenched from the rain, which of course means that you're completely drenched from the rain. But one thing up here looks completely dry: the apparition of the Union general who is standing right in front of you.
"TRAITOR!" he shouts at you as he grows twenty feet tall. "I grant you safe passage through my ancestral home," he screams in your face, "and THIS is how you repay me?"
You have no idea why he would be so offended by someone climbing onto his roof, but you never get an opportunity to find out. The gust of wind from his screaming throws your body like a hockey puck against a low railing, and you fall... and land with a THUD on the ground far below, crushing all your internal organs in the process.

Move back 1 space on the Psychic Scale and return to Story Card 54.

This ultimately sets us on a direct path to the Story Return for Chapter 02, where our options are

If you go to the upstairs hallway, raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 39. We have checked this path, but at least 1 branch remains unseen.
----
If you go to the main dining room, raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 51.
----
If you go to the Solarium, raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 48. We have checked this path, but at least 1 branch remains unseen.
----
If you go to the gallery, raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 32. We have checked this path, but at least 1 branch remains unseen.
---
Or move on to Chapter 03.

Current Psychic Power: 20 points, Level 05.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you go to the main dining room, , raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 51.It's Friday right?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

If you go to the main dining room, , raise the Danger Meter by two and go to Story Card 51.It's Friday right?

To the dining room we go, then. I don't think I understand this reference, though?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We have opted to go to the Dining Room and increase the Danger Meter by 2.
Chapter 05 - Page 51
You enter a formal dining room decorated in a modern style. The walls are a deep, moody gay, and the table and chairs are lacquered glossy black. A glass vase containing limp, long-dead flowers sits in the center of the table.
Around the table sit four men. Their skin and uniforms are all shades of shimmering white and blue, and a wispy aura wafts off of them like smoke. They're dressed in Civil War-era Union soldier uniforms and talking as if telling stories around a campfire. One has his feet propped up on the table. They don't seem to be aware of your presence.
You notice a wooden door that is rattling, as if something behind it is trying to escape. Beams of blue light shoot out of the keyhole and the wooden slats of the door. There's also a narrow, swinging door at the end of the dining room that probably leads to the kitchen.
Free action
If you are at Level 2 or higher on the Psychic Scale, and if you want to get closer and listen to their stories, draw Clue 48.

I assumed you did want to listen to their stories, so:

Chapter 02 - Clue 48
You creep closer and overhear bits and pieces of conversation.
One ghost mentions barely surviving a savage attack and locking "the dangerous one" in the secret passage between the kitchen and the master bedroom.

Please vote:
If you quietly open the rattling wood door with blue light, go to Story Card 37.
----
If you sneak past the men and go into the kitchen, go to Story Card 54.

Current Psychic Power: 21 points, Level 05.

Current Danger Meter: 03 points, Difficulty 03.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 6, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Thank god it's Friday. Sorry, bad joke, but it got me to go there last night for dinner.

f you quietly open the rattling wood door with blue light, go to Story Card 37. Zuel!?! If we get turned into a dog, I am going to be unhappy.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 05 - Page 37
You open the rattling door to reveal an impossibly long passage, slightly lit with small beams of blue light. A chill runs through your veins as an apparition materializes in the distance. The ghost wears a tattered robe, and his skin appears badly burned. One of his eyes is missing, while the other darts around nervously. He walks straight toward you, brandishing a sword in one hand.
You try to run, but your legs refuse to cooperate. You're frozen in place! The spirit continues to approach you. He advances calmly, slowly moving closer and closer until he's finally upon you. You feel intense pain...
And then... nothing.

Well, that wasn't entirely expected. Since we can't go further on 37, we'll go to 54 (putting us at 19 on the Psychic Scale, a measly level 4)
Chapter 02 - Page 54
The kitchen looks a bit drab, compared to what you've seen of the rest of the house. A large, blue refrigerator stands lonely against one wall, a heavy chain wrapped around it, holding it closed. The opposite wall is dominated by tall cupboards.
Black-and-white checkered tile covers the countertops and the floors, and a butcher's block on the counter is stained a deep crimson from heavy use. On the far side of the room there's a small door that appears to lead to a wine cellar.

Optional Perception Challenge: Search the Cupboards
Win: Draw Clue 34.
Lose: Raise the Danger Meter by one.

Optional Strength Challenge: Try to open the fridge
Win: Draw Clue 49.

Please vote:
Do we wish to do one or more of the challenges above?
If not, we are committing to going to:

Enter the wine cellar by going to Story Card 56.

Current Psychic Power: 19 points, Level 04.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 7, 2019

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Do both challenges to raise our donger meter

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DmitriX posted:

Do both challenges to raise our donger meter

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Going for most donger, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Page 54 Continued
Okay, we wanted to check both options. We'll do the Perception challenge first, because if we blow the first one and the danger meter goes up, we have equipment to help with the second.
Optional Perception Challenge: Search the Cupboards
Win: Draw Clue 34.

We got a 4, so we draw Clue 34.
Chapter 02 - Clue 34
BONUS STORY CHOICE

The cupboards are entirely empty, but the back of one of them opens to reveal a secret passage and a stairway.

Place this new optional story choice at the bottom of Story Card 54. This option may be considered when you are ready to choose your next action.

From here, we wanted to pry open the fridge with our trusty Large Wooden Dowel!
Optional Strength Challenge: Try to open the fridge
Win: Draw Clue 49.

We got a 2, meaning we squeak by with the help of our trusty Large Wooden Dowel!
Chapter 02 - Clue 49
You find a delicious-looking sandwich in the fridge. Discard at any time to lower Danger Meter by four.
[i]Keep this item. Finish Story Card 54.

We are now back at Page 54, but with a choice this time.

Please vote:

Enter the wine cellar by going to Story Card 56.

OR
To follow the secret passage, go to Story Card 59. NOTE: We have been to this card - we find Gen. Marsden's Ghost and this time we do not have a sword to give him.

Current Items:
Sandwich: It really is quite tasty looking. Discard to reduce the Danger Meter by 4.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Best go in the wine cellar then.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
We all need help to feel fine, let's grab some wine!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Into the cellar we go, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Page 56
The door to the wine cellar is covered with a leather overlay that is embossed with grapevine patterns. Someone here must really like their wine. You push open the door into a pitch-black room and hear odd noises coming from some unseen machine in the distance. This space might be bigger than you thought.
As you try to find a light switch, you discover a ladder on your left and a door to your right. As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you can make out a BOMB SHELTER sticker on the door and a small storage compartment next to the shelter door, about as tall as your knee.

FREE ACTION
If you'd like to get down on your hands and knees and root around in the storage compartment, draw Clue 35.

Please vote:

If you climb up the ladder, draw Clue 40.

OR
If you go to the bomb shelter, go to Story Card 47.

Current Items:
Sandwich: It really is quite tasty looking. Discard to reduce the Danger Meter by 4.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We've played Lone Wolf Games - Loot everything. Then
If you go to the bomb shelter, go to Story Card 47.

Also, it's hilarious that eating a sandwich lowers the danger.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 8, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well, there is nothing in the universe less dangerous than a sandwich, right?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
In addition to looting, please indicate a page choice.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Page 56 Continued
FREE ACTION
If you'd like to get down on your hands and knees and root around in the storage compartment, draw Clue 35.

Chapter 02 - Clue 34
Climbing Boots

Look at these things! You'll be able to climb like a squirrel wearing these boots.
Keep this item.
Finish Story Card 56.
Add +2 to Climbing challenges.

Nice! Fom here we wanted to go to the Bomb Shelter on 47.

Chapter 02 - Page 47
You fumble for a light switch. There is nothing on the walls, but a tiny little chain brushes against your cheek as you cross the room, so you pull on it. The room floods with light.
The place is well stocked! Bottles of water, stacks of canned food, crates of tools... even boxes labeled ENTERTAINMENT. This is everything you'd need to survive for weeks.
The only thing out of place is a cabinet painted purple with orange trim. Across the room is an impressive metal door. Above the door is a hole in the ceiling, which doesn't seem right, given that this place is supposed to be totally secure.

Please vote:

If you open the purple and orange cabinet to look inside, go to Story Card 38.

OR
If you try to open the big metal door, go to Story Card 60. Note - this is the end of the chapter. If you choose this, please indicate if there's another path you'd like to check or to move on.

OR
If you go up through the hole in the ceiling, draw Clue 44.

Current Items:
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's open the really tasteful cabinet!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, opening the cabinet. Update Pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Readers, we have reached my second favorite card of the game. Please behold the wonder of Card 38.
Chapter 02 - Page 38
Who hides a bomb in a bomb shelter? Was thing thing built to protect people from a bomb, or protect a bomb from people?
These are the thoughts you have as you are blown into a billion little pieces.

Please vote:

If you try to open the big metal door, go to Story Card 60. Note - this is the end of the chapter. If you choose this, please indicate if there's another path you'd like to check or to move on.

OR

Current Psychic Power: 18 points, Level 04.

Current Items:
Climbing Boots: These sly boots give us +2 to climb checks. We've seen one of those!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was hoping it was a survivest gun cablinet, Whelp.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Comstar posted:

I was hoping it was a survivest gun cablinet, Whelp.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ceiling hole chosen, update pending.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 02 - Clue 47

You stack several crates to build a makeshift staircase and climb into the hole in the ceiling. You find yourself inside a disorienting maze of air ducts. Eventually, you reach an exterior vent.
Opening the vent, you get a face ull of wind and rain. You then expertly climb down a vine-covered lattice onto a rain-drenched path.
Go to Story Card 46

Chapter 02 - Story Card 47
You take the pathway to a wooden apartment with a quaint front porch. No on appears to be home. You try the door and find that it's open.
You enter a room that's entirely dark except for one candle-lit corner, where you see a leather desk chair turned away from you, with someone sitting in it. The chair slowly swivels to reveal a chimpanzee weaing a monocle and holding a ballpoint pen, looking you square in the eye. Uh-oh. Looks like you interrupted his work.
The chump calmly places his pen on the desk and removes his monocle. He cracks his knuckles and stands up.
It's Go Time. And this chimp is going for you.
The chimp pounces!
REQUIRED FIGHT CHALLENGE:
FIGHT THE CHIMP

Win: Lower Danger Meter by five.
Lose: Raise Danger Meter by three.

With the help of our trusty pocketknife, we fight off the chimp!
After the fight, the chimp scurries away. You notice to your left there's a large metal door, which looks completely out of place here. There's also a walkway leading toward what looks like the study in the main house.

Please vote:
We have cleared both of the paths above to the end of the chapter again.
Is there anything else you'd like to check in Chapter 2? We've visited every major path at least once, but some cards remain unchecked.

Otherwise, we can progress to Chapter 03.

Current Psychic Power: 18 points, Level 04.

Current Items:

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well that card was random

Chapter 3 should finally be started