Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

get that OUT of my face posted:

It took all that time to say "oh by the way Sora's been chilling in that suspended animation pod since CoM" (I think). What a payoff. Marvelous storytelling.

DiZ and Ansem talked about Sora still being out of commission before Axel even showed up. They talked about Namine's progress with Sora's memories pretty much every time they appeared on screen before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
"This character you're playing as? Well he's actually the main character."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If Roxas has been locked in the Matrix this whole time, how does Axel get in again?

get that OUT of my face posted:

It took all that time to say "oh by the way Sora's been chilling in that suspended animation pod since CoM" (I think). What a payoff. Marvelous storytelling.

The pod shows up at the end of CoM and it's acknowledged that he's going to have to be in there for a while. Hope you played CoM!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I just realized something: Namine's superpower is gaslighting people.

C-Euro posted:

If Roxas has been locked in the Matrix this whole time, how does Axel get in again?

The pod shows up at the end of CoM and it's acknowledged that he's going to have to be in there for a while. Hope you played CoM!
I watched the LP, at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Look, it's not Axel's fault you guys don't got it memorized.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

C-Euro posted:

It's more Holodeck than Matrix. The whole laboratory complex is right underneath the mansion and town, and the only thing that stopped Roxas from going into the mansion was that he forgot how to use the keyblade.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Schubalts posted:

It's more Holodeck than Matrix. The whole laboratory complex is right underneath the mansion and town, and the only thing that stopped Roxas from going into the mansion was that he forgot how to use the keyblade.

Their plan hinged on him not using a giant key on a giant keyhole?

E: I guess he was dumb enough for it to work, but still

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They had brainwashed him, and he only recently regained the keyblade when the wiggly dudes got in and he summoned it in self defense. It still took him a while just to be able to summon it on command after that, and it's not like Sora immediately knew how to magic open world locks, either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Ansem's been making the beach behind Diz's back because this is really much easier than coming up with all these weird justifications why they can't get to the beach and yeah, making a beach introduces a lot of bugs and backdoors into the Matrix.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this thread is reading like a hate thread but um. kingdom hearts 2 owns

i know this is a controversial opinion but this opening is my favorite part of the game and i'd play a whole dang game centered around dumb teens goofing off in a sleepy town on their summer vacation and solving low stakes problems like defending your honor against the rival gang and bullshitting a report because you forgot to do your homework

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Schubalts posted:

I feel like the Twilight Town we've been seeing up to now is a separate place than the actual TT, but I don't think the evidence I'm basing that off of shows up for a while. Might be getting into spoiler turf.

Looper posted:

i know this is a controversial opinion but this opening is my favorite part of the game and i'd play a whole dang game centered around dumb teens goofing off in a sleepy town on their summer vacation and solving low stakes problems like defending your honor against the rival gang and bullshitting a report because you forgot to do your homework

Oh I think KH2 slaps, don't get me wrong. I love it for how over-the-top it is and I honestly found the combat to be super satisfying. That Axel fight where you get dual Keyblades feels badass to play.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh I'm down, tedious opening or no. I kinda like the audacity of expecting you to know who these chucklefucks are without explaining anything.

Also "Struggle" is not a good name for a tournament.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Looper posted:

A game like that would own. The problem is that KH2 isn't a game like that, nor was anyone expecting it to be a game like that. Everyone was expecting fast action and people shouting SORA DONALD GOOFY and DARKNESS while running around various Disney-inspired worlds.
Instead, they get 2˝ hours of a completely different game with seemingly no connection to actual Kingdom Hearts until the very end where it turns out you were Sora all along but not really its complicated ok and no its not just a phase MOM!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geemer posted:

A game like that would own. The problem is that KH2 isn't a game like that, nor was anyone expecting it to be a game like that. Everyone was expecting fast action and people shouting SORA DONALD GOOFY and DARKNESS while running around various Disney-inspired worlds.

Prologue aside that's literally what the game is from here on out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Larryb posted:

I know. But past me sure as hell didn't and wasn't gonna chance it after the first 2˝ hours of the game being a very different game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not angry about KH2 so far, just very baffled. But that comes with the territory of the Kingdom Hearts storyline. It's a hot mess.

That being said, the introductory town shouldn't have been that long. By this time in KH1, you more or less know the basic stakes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah I went straight from KH1 into this game and never got through this prologue because I assumed the game would continue to be full of characters and plot points that I had no reference for at all. Turns out if I'd stuck with it another half hour I would've got through that, but whatever.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Ansem and The Burned Man managed to wipe the memories of and imprison one of the Organization members within a digital simulation of a town but it's all falling apart as Sora nears full reanimation and the soul transfer becomes more and more direly required to reboot him.

See, when you put it like that it's fairly straightforward and even kinda cool-sounding.

Idea for a Thing We Coulda Played Instead of This Section, #127:
KH2 opens with us controlling a mysterious hooded figure, working with mysterious character DiZ, as they scheme and have vague conversations and some cool easy tutorial fights with Organization XIII members to kidnap some doofus named Roxas who looks suspiciously familiar. Shocking twist at the end, our mysterious player-character has been Ansem this whole time, holy smokes! They clonk Roxas on the head, stick him in a plot device machine, and poof, now we're playing Sora. Total running time... eh, 30, 40 minutes tops. Including cutscenes.

Downsides: Nomura doesn't get to bill the company for the time he spent doodling up the Popsicle Brigade & Setzer's "redesign." No 'weird virtual world breaking down' effects/scenes/cool trailer shots. Delayed 'climactic dual-wielding moment.'
Upsides: Pacing; relevant characters; genuine mystery; an actual sense of who these people are, what they're trying to accomplish, and how.

This has been Ghost of Starman's KH2 Fanfiction Korner. I'll just... show myself out. :smith:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Spending the first 2+ hours of a numerical sequel game controlling an unknown character, interacting with a whole host of other brand new random characters, who is then basically written out and replaced with the expected main character is just bad writing.

They should've started you off as Sora, just waking up from reanimation and all confused, experiencing flashbacks of Roxas, Naminé, Axel etc as he stumbles around whatever opening area.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

See, when you put it like that it's fairly straightforward and even kinda cool-sounding.

Yeah, call me Xenogears 3 because I'm summarizing 8 games of plot in a single eighteen word sentence over here!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm a fan of how Ghost of Starman laid things out. The general premise of the opening part of KH2 isn't a bad idea at heart, it just needs a lot more editing than it got.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

none of these “ideas on how to improve the intro” seem to involve seifers misadventures so i still proclaim nomura the king of intros

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

FutureFriend posted:

none of these “ideas on how to improve the intro” seem to involve seifers misadventures so i still proclaim nomura the king of intros
"That was undeniable proof that we totally owned you lamers" is the greatest sentence in any form of media and any change that threatens its existence is unacceptable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only improvement I have to offer is to put Squall Leon in so he talk about how much of an rear end in a top hat Seifer is.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The only improvement I would make is swap Setzer for Edgar and just have the creepo womanizer king be the one who gets his rear end handed to him by children.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Seriously! Why Setzer? Of all the random-rear end ff6 cameos they could have gone for, I can't think of a more boring one than "airship gambler" in a world with no airships OR gambling! Even Cyan or Locke would've had some personality!

This had to have been a case of "oh, I have a neat redesign for this one guy that we can't fit in anywhere else - let's use that"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ghost of Starman posted:

This had to have been a case of "oh, I have a neat redesign for this one guy that we can't fit in anywhere else - let's use that"

Close, kinda - as far as I know, Setzer is the one FF6 character that Nomura largely designed instead of Amano.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

AlphaKretin posted:

Close, kinda - as far as I know, Setzer is the one FF6 character that Nomura largely designed instead of Amano.

He and Shadow

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

Seriously! Why Setzer? Of all the random-rear end ff6 cameos they could have gone for, I can't think of a more boring one than "airship gambler" in a world with no airships OR gambling! Even Cyan or Locke would've had some personality!

because hes cool

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Setzer will be perfect if it turns out there's some postgame Struggle™ battle against Ultros wielding EIGHT Official Struggle™ Batons.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
To my knowledge the single FF character that appears in a KH game that Nomura didn't design was Vivi. From what I understand about Nomura's views on Amano this seems likely to be from a deep respect for Amano and not wanting to touch characters that aren't his.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

because hes cool

I guess, if you like your bishonen to look like sufferers of a wasting disease

(the correct answer to the question of FF6’s best character is obviously Sabin how is this even under dispute)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Setzer will be perfect if it turns out there's some postgame Struggle™ battle against Ultros wielding EIGHT Official Struggle™ Batons.

That would own.

SatansOnion posted:

I guess, if you like your bishonen to look like sufferers of a wasting disease

(the correct answer to the question of FF6’s best character is obviously Sabin how is this even under dispute)

Roxas would have to be scraped off the Struggle arena floor after Sabin got done suplexing him to death.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

To my knowledge the single FF character that appears in a KH game that Nomura didn't design was Vivi. From what I understand about Nomura's views on Amano this seems likely to be from a deep respect for Amano and not wanting to touch characters that aren't his.

Yes, that is why. He wasn't sure if he would be able to write and redesign other people's FF characters in a way that would fit the original, so he focused on using his own FF characters, until the FF parts fell further and further to the wayside.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

lets grow up, stop hanging out with humans and start hanging around the so called Humorous Animals on todays episode

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just sitting there thinking man the only thing that could make this opening better is Mickey Mouse outta nowhere wearing a hot topic trenchcoat and BAM

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think it's funny that the first two and a half hours happened and they just abruptly jumped right into the Disney poo poo after five seconds. It's like even the game itself got tired of it after a while

Sora had that expression when the Heartless appeared because he also realized that logo looks like a three-tipped dick

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 4, 2019

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a tragedy that fantasy stories keep perpetuating this myth of the 'good king'. Obviously, the only ethical thing for Mickey to do is abolish the monarchy and establish a Magic Republic -- and more importantly, do what his dynasty should have done a long time ago and surrender his personality rights to the public doma

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Chorps the way you say "oh my Gooooddd" in these videos fills me with joy. You sound so excited! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why is Sion from the Bouncer here? Bring back Roxas.