Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

:toxx:: If I haven't finished the main story of this game by the end of march 2021, i will buy a keyblade and take a video of me swinging it around. the promise has been made

Art by twitter user Handdrawnsquare. Headers and update banners by fellow goon shadowmar. 2nd thumbnail by twitter user HamousTruck

Kingdom Hearts 2 is an Action JRPG developed and published by Square-Enix and the third game in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. Released in Japan at the end of 2005 and the rest of the world in 2006, the game was met with rave reviews, with critics mainly citing its improved combat system and the graphics, pushing the PS2 to its limits. Kingdom Hearts 2 returns to 1's action roots, and chooses to focus solely on it, forsaking the first game's platforming for more arena-like gameplay. Cards are also out. Sorry, pokerheads.

Along the way a Japan-only rerelease was brought out called Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix. This added a whole slew of bonus bosses and rebalanced and added a bunch of abilities. Later on, this version was brought to the west in both the PS3 and PS4 collections.

Hello, I'm FutureFriend and I've already let's played two of these dang games. Just like those two Let's Plays, we're joined by chuckleheads ChorpSaway, Madithen and a_raving_loon. Loon and Madi are both mostly blind to this game, whereas me and Chorps are the lorelovers in this group. This playthrough will be on Kingdom Hearts 2's famous Proud Mode difficulty. I'm also playing on the PS4 rerelease.

I thought you were a gamer, why not the most famous of Kingdom Hearts 2's difficulties: Critical mode?
Critical Mode is a very different beast that I feel has several factors, that while interesting for a challenge run, also gives a poor showcase of how the average playthrough of the game goes. Also, I can't beat it.

You mentioned post-game bonus bosses? Are you going to fight these in the videos?
Yea.

1. No Spoilers! Please don't post stuff we haven't seen yet in the videos. I'm not gonna be very heavy-handed about this, but I'd still like any posters blind to this game to be able to read the thread in peace.
2. Don't talk about future games! (But past ones are okay) As far as this thread is concerned, its still 2006. Ska is still cool as hell, its the year of Happy Feet and we're still years away from Dick Cheney winning an Oscar. Addendum: As we have broken that cardinal rule in one of our videos, talking about the DS game is fine, just keep it insanely fake, pretend the game is still upcoming with barely any info. I think this thread is funny enough to make it work.

Yen Sid's powerpoint presentation by Digamma-F-Wau

FeyerbrandX makes a good summary of the FutureFriend brand marketing scheme!

Portrait of a Dogman by Digamma-F-Wau

An Ode To Canon by FeyerBrandX

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

reserved

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I was looking forward to this one. I still really like KH2, it's just really fun to play, y'know?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Always great when a Kingdom Hearts series LP manages to get past the tower what eats memories and the drive to continue LPing the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've never actually seen the story of 2, so I've been looking forward to this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I was looking forward to this one. I still really like KH2, it's just really fun to play, y'know?

Probably the most fun in the series to play IMO. The others either have their issues (KH1’s focus on platforming and stilted controls) or are completely different beasts in their entirety (the entirety of (RE:)CoM) without getting into the later titles. Not to say KH2 doesn’t have it’s flaws, mind, but those aren’t -as- pronounced as the latter two.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna toot my own 8-bit horn a bit and let y'all know that the chiptune remix of Sanctuary I put together to fight the Square-Enix YouTube lawyers is available here for listening.

Anyways this LP seems cool so far, can't wait to see all the lamers get owned by the good commentary and gameplay on display here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, Christ, I was one of the translators for this game and I still hardly know what the hell was going on--even all these years later. :psyduck:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so this Roxas guy took over Kingdom Hearts and thats why Sora had to pick up a job as a bouncer. Got it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I wonder what Christopher Lee brought with his paycheck for this gig.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

Gonna toot my own 8-bit horn a bit and let y'all know that the chiptune remix of Sanctuary I put together to fight the Square-Enix YouTube lawyers is available here for listening.

Anyways this LP seems cool so far, can't wait to see all the lamers get owned by the good commentary and gameplay on display here.

"Check out my soundcloud" actually got me to check out the soundcloud.

drat millennial are killing the crystal avocado market.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This dialogue is really something.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

This dialogue is really something.

The dialogue sure is ------- something alright and I can only imagine it will become even more ------ as the game goes on.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
HELL YES HELL YES I been waiting for more Cartesian bullshit!

FutureFriend posted:

Art by Handdrawnsquare. Headers and update banners by fellow goon ShadowMar
Also can we just admire this incredible art for a moment cuz goddamn it is a perfect pastiche, Handdrawnsquare is a loving master.

ChorpSaway posted:

I didn't know you did music, WOW! :monocle: This is pretty impressive, nice one Chorps!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

Join me and ChorpSaway, Madithen and a_raving_loon on the start of Nomura's wild ride.

OHHHHHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDDDD

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, Christ, I was one of the translators for this game and I still hardly know what the hell was going on--even all these years later. :psyduck:

This is cool

Did you translate any of the other games?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Just like with the last two FutureFriend Kingdom Hearts LPs, I'm going into this one completely blind. I am ready for even more insane plot bullshit

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yeah Kingdom Hearts II owns, gently caress the haters

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did you translate any of the other games?
No, just this one. It was fun, but a huge project, spanning over a year just from my localization point of view. I haven't played a KH since. :/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Last time I played this game was 13 years ago, so I barely remember anything that happens in it. Looking forward to seeing more!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Hirayuki posted:

I'm glad to know even the people working on it were just as confused as the audience, that means you did a drat fine job preserving the madness. :thumbsup:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ChorpSaway posted:

Also this is pretty cool!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I tried playing through this with a friend guiding me but even with her enthusiasm, somehow the sheer act of physically playing this game was tiring.

So I'm eagerly looking forward to actually seeing what I kept falling asleep during!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Oh man, I loved this game, but holy poo poo is this intro long. I'm so glad to get in on the ground floor of this, because gently caress if I know the story, too busy killing things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not seeing it in the OP, what're you aiming for as far as updates, Sunday or Monday?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Three Five Eightdays

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

drat that kicks rear end. i know its been a long rear end time now but if ya got any stories from that time or insights into particular parts of the translation as we go along in the LP, id love to hear and put them in the OP.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not seeing it in the OP, what're you aiming for as far as updates, Sunday or Monday?

i'm aiming for monday, but honestly don't take that as a hard "always monday", cuz my weekends can kinda get too busy on-and-off to edit much.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why is Square still obsessed with taking down their content years after it's been released? They do the same thing to the full ending of The 3rd Birthday, and that game made Metroid Other M look like feminist literature.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The art for that thumbnail is hilariously horrifying

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i'm aiming for monday, but honestly don't take that as a hard "always monday", cuz my weekends can kinda get too busy on-and-off to edit much.

Okay gotcha, every Monday and you'll miss an update over Chorps' dead body.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I don't think I've ever been this hype for an lp before. Also I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a KH2 cutscene in 13 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did the thread title get changed or was it always Kingdom of Hearts?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its monday, ya know what that means. its time to further the mini-game economy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I never got is, you have a Keyblade, and Keyholes, yet you open them by shooting a laser beam out of the Keyblade instead of... I dunno, using it like a key?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fun fact: The sea salt ice cream is actually a Disney reference! It's a treat sold at the Tokyo Disney resort that Nomura was inspired to put into the game after visiting between the two games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Twilight Town, that place from Chain of Memories that meant absolutely nothing turned out to be a teaser for the next game!

And small fun fact, I don't know if it was in the original but you don't have to grind for money if you don't want to, you can just go to the train station and talk to Hayner and move on.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 7, 2019

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Hey FutureFriend, I think something's wrong with the tracking on your VCR.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like the way the gray enemies move, it's weird and kinda unsettling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
KHII's plot is really bonkers, even if you've played Chain of Memories, but the opening is one of the strong points I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Why is Square still obsessed with taking down their content years after it's been released? They do the same thing to the full ending of The 3rd Birthday, and that game made Metroid Other M look like feminist literature.

If you were involved in creating The 3rd Birthday, you'd do it, too.