Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Just remembered you could rename your ships from a list in Cataclysm and one of the beast ones was like "graaaaaagckh"

I like "Ththing" for its lack of subtlety and Plazzzzzzzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm are so good. I will also say that Cata gave HW1 a run for its money when it comes to voice acting and story.

There's just something about starting a mission with the bridge making a call to R&D wondering what the hell is going on and ending with screams of engineers being jettisoned into space.

"We.... Live"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aaaBUHCG-M&t=1467s

Edit: Added youtube link

Fhistleb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 3, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Idk why people say Cataclysm is non-canon, there were plenty of kiith that didn't make an appearance in HW2, and HW2 is at least ostensibly supposed to take place 75 years after Cataclysm. The only reason Cataclysm wasn't also remastered is that its source code is lost.

I just ignore what anybody else thinks about the canon-ness of Cataclysm and assume it was the latest weird poo poo they ran into and was relegated to a 1000 word wikipedia entry within a year. A single fleet ran into a Star Trek levels of minor weird poo poo just on the way to Hiigara, discovering an inter-galaxy biomechanical virus was just a slightly bigger problem for a couple weeks.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I just ignore what anybody else thinks about the canon-ness of Cataclysm and assume it was the latest weird poo poo they ran into and was relegated to a 1000 word wikipedia entry within a year. A single fleet ran into a Star Trek levels of minor weird poo poo just on the way to Hiigara, discovering an inter-galaxy biomechanical virus was just a slightly bigger problem for a couple weeks.

They nipped it in the bud well before it got out of hand.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fhistleb posted:

Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm are so good. I will also say that Cata gave HW1 a run for its money when it comes to voice acting and story.

There's just something about starting a mission with the bridge making a call to R&D wondering what the hell is going on and ending with screams of engineers being jettisoned into space.

"We.... Live"

We... Will.. Not.. Be... BOUND!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

"These things happen"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The VAs in general are the heroes of Cataclysm, no doubt. Runner up is how fun the Somtaaw ship roster is.

Then the guys that made Cata went on to make Sword of the Stars, another massive fluke, and then SotS2 happened and rip.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Homeworld was the first game I cared enough about to join a forum about it, which was fun enough that I joined SA a few years later. It still makes me happy whenever I spot the few names I recognize from the Relic boards that still post here. Homeworld always brings back a lot of memories.

This thread sold me on Deserts of Kharak, which owns, and I just really hope 3 doesn't suck.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Deserts of Kharak is really good, the MP isn't too bad, shame the AI sucks rear end.

I had a game last night where my Gaalsien group was doing comms checks and it was really cool to hear them all report in over the operating area.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Then the guys that made Cata went on to make Sword of the Stars, another massive fluke, and then SotS2 happened and rip.
Holy crap, I didn't know this was the same group.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yep, a ton of Barking Dog guys left and founded Kerberos like a few months after Cata released, as I recall. Mecron used to mention working on Homeworld as part of his pedigree back when he still bothered to rant online.

Point is, it's a miracle that Cataclysm is as good as it was, and not surprising in the slightest that it's not really like anything else in the series.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

We... Will.. Not.. Be... BOUND!!
I loved that line.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yep, a ton of Barking Dog guys left and founded Kerberos like a few months after Cata released, as I recall. Mecron used to mention working on Homeworld as part of his pedigree back when he still bothered to rant online.

Point is, it's a miracle that Cataclysm is as good as it was, and not surprising in the slightest that it's not really like anything else in the series.

The studio that made Cata was Barking Dog Studios, or as we call it these days Rockstar Vancouver.

They had some really amazing talent that must've had a love for the game and wanted to tell a spoopy horror story.... IN SPACE!

(No hate, just making a joke for a game I love)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
That moment when you are about to be destroyed by a horrible intergalactic ancient biovirus so you give 0 shits about holding the Bentusi hostage until they help you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man Cataclysm had some truly excellent sound and mixing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GANihKACeU&t=540s

I just remembered this mission too - the Beast instantly send a fleet to infect the Bentusi. Also the Command Ship actually did some damage to enemy fighters / corvettes unlike the Mothership's pea shooter.

God this game was good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing Cataclysm did wrong was that upgrade that turned your guns into pewpew energy orbs.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

No fuckin way this ends up good but I can hope

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, a game that explicitly doesn't need kickstarting's already managed to raise a cool half mil. That's nuts to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Fig thing feels a little scummy because of the already funded thing so it's basically "We know nerds are gullible morons for nostalgia, give us your money."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If they had set even some kind of somewhat deniable goal I would have chipped in (because I’m a big idiot) but setting the $1 goal is just so clearly “This is nothing but a pre-order with Discord access” that I’m not going to (because I’m not THAT big of an idiot).

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Kibayasu posted:

That was basically what the creators said, yeah. I gather that Cata was... I'd say around a year and change in length, and once they figured out how to immunize ships it was all over but the (Beast's) screaming... at least for the Hiigarans - I think the Taiidani got the worst of it. I also find it kind of hilarious that the thing seems to talk in Youtube Poops - pieced together bits of ship's log recordings.

quote:

The same team wrote Homeworld- Mecron did more of the writing for HW, Arinn did Cata, as well as a number of other Sierra projects, like Ground Control.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 15, 2019

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

StratGoatCom posted:

The same team wrote Homeworld- Mecron did more of the writing for HW2, Arinn did Cata, as well as a number of other Sierra projects, like Ground Control.

Speaking of: I thought it a bit odd that both Ground Contril and DoK were Treads n' Guns vs Hovering Blue Sparkles brawling over lostech buried on some remote hellhole. Not that I am complaining, but the stylistic parallels are striking.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

The Fig thing feels a little scummy because of the already funded thing so it's basically "We know nerds are gullible morons for nostalgia, give us your money."

Yeah it's kind of lovely, tbh it's hardly the first game to every use crowdfunding solely as an advertisement platform. I'm pretty sure Shenmue 3 isn't being made solely off the six million dollars(!) it made, either. It's pretty much a pseudo pre-order storefront combined with just trying to milk as much money as they can out of people however they can, I doubt it's going to make a substantial impact on the game's overall production.

That said, BBI did a real good job with Deserts of Kharak and Gearbox is just publishing, not developing, so I'm going to consider myself provisionally optimistic.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

The same team wrote Homeworld- Mecron did more of the writing for HW2, Arinn did Cata, as well as a number of other Sierra projects, like Ground Control.

Oh for real? I thought the Kerberos split was pre-HW2. Learn something new everyday.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh for real? I thought the Kerberos split was pre-HW2. Learn something new everyday.

I will never forgive Mecron for robbing us of an Actually Good version of SotS2. :mad:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Psycho Landlord posted:

This was ground control 1 I'm talking about, not the lovely sequel.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I'm with the "I can hope it'll be good, but expect it to be bad" crowd. It already has the hallmarks of a troubled game, great and vague ideas (last word in Epic Space Combat) and a well liked IP...

Among the concerning bits, the team appears to be primarily / only Homeworld and BBI veterans, so there may be a lack of diversity of ideas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing Remastered and is there any way to fix the sounds? Because the fighters sound like they're firing pew pew lasers and that's wicked retahded.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pretty sure the community patch on the workshop changes that around? The sounds all got rejiggered when the changeover to simulated ballistics happened, and most fighters ended up defaulting to the Keeper drone sound effects. If I remember right the community patch changes them back to something a little more conventional.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hot take: HW1 was only good because of the novelty and the fantastic storytelling. The gameplay was actually pretty bland, interesting ideas like strike craft fuel limits just didn't go anywhere, particularly given that even mass bombers couldn't match the dps of capital ships. The game ultimately didn't give anything to the strategy genre, which is why it sits (mostly) alone. Deserts of Kharak was well produced but ultimately a bit of a yawn.

I'd like to see a game that's a bit more Midway-in-Space. Have the unit of command be the Carrier or cruiser/battleship task force and move those groups of ships around the map while flinging small fighter/bomber strikes at each other and looking for an opening.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Alchenar posted:

I'd like to see a game that's a bit more Midway-in-Space. Have the unit of command be the Carrier or cruiser/battleship task force and move those groups of ships around the map while flinging small fighter/bomber strikes at each other and looking for an opening.

Does BSG: Deadlock do this?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

Pretty sure the community patch on the workshop changes that around? The sounds all got rejiggered when the changeover to simulated ballistics happened, and most fighters ended up defaulting to the Keeper drone sound effects. If I remember right the community patch changes them back to something a little more conventional.

Nah this is with the community patch.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

EDIT^^^^ Rip. Might be other mods on the workshop that mess with them?

Tanith posted:

Does BSG: Deadlock do this?

A bit. The focus is still very much on your capships, Vipers and Raptors aren't super great at knocking down anything bigger than a corvette and Deadlock Raiders don't get nukes. Fighters are mainly defensive screens/ways to hack the other guy.

Also Deadlock is surprisingly good if anybody else was wondering.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Hot take: HW1 was only good because of the novelty and the fantastic storytelling. The gameplay was actually pretty bland, interesting ideas like strike craft fuel limits just didn't go anywhere, particularly given that even mass bombers couldn't match the dps of capital ships. The game ultimately didn't give anything to the strategy genre, which is why it sits (mostly) alone. Deserts of Kharak was well produced but ultimately a bit of a yawn.

I'd be down for this. I've always felt that the implied scale of Homeworld could use a more... strategic? scope and slower combat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's kind of funny that you referred to DoK as a yawn in this post given this is pretty much a summary of what DoK's core gameplay is like.

Side note, whatever the mothership analog is in this game, it drat well better have the fuckin cool-rear end DoK carrier mechanics.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

it drat well better have the fuckin cool-rear end DoK carrier mechanics.

Strange way to write siege cannon.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Alchenar posted:

It was also good because of the excellent art, highly physical gameplay, and the UI absolutely getting the gently caress out of the way so you could admire the sheer beauty and emptiness of Homeworld space. And it did bring one nice thing to the genre - persistent fleet and salvaging were neat mechanics.

I'd challenge you to find a multiplayer RTS as fast and compulsive as DoK since, uh, Brood War. Of course I say this having reached the global top ten by skimmer rushing and then transitioning to Gaal railguns. Maybe I just liked winning.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I dunno what "Homeworld has bad gameplay" means tbh. It's one of the only truly 3D RTS games, it had a lot of spectacle for the time, exciting combat, a slick UI, memorable, varied missions. I guess it wasn't e-sports ready but who gives a poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone who says the 3d movement in Homeworld didn't matter wasn't clever enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

General Battuta posted:

It was also good because of the excellent art, highly physical gameplay, and the UI absolutely getting the gently caress out of the way so you could admire the sheer beauty and emptiness of Homeworld space. And it did bring one nice thing to the genre - persistent fleet and salvaging were neat mechanics.

I'd challenge you to find a multiplayer RTS as fast and compulsive as DoK since, uh, Brood War. Of course I say this having reached the global top ten by skimmer rushing and then transitioning to Gaal railguns. Maybe I just liked winning.

Company of Heroes