Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:siren:Release date is May13!:siren:
https://x.com/HomeworldGame/status/1755336023653982597?s=20

Did not see a thread for this, surprisingly! Probably because it was just announce and the game is only a few months into production, but they've naturally drummed up a trailer already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

When does Homeworld 3 come out?
We're aimed at Q4 2022. It's a little early days for a firm date, but we'll keep you posted.

How much of Homeworld 3 is done so far?
We're a few months into pre-production. That means we're pretty early on. That's why we want to bring you aboard now, so we can hear from you and other fans about what's important. The project is still at a stage where fans can influence the game without harming the overall schedule!

Which platforms will you support?
It's just too early to make any decisions here. 2022 is a long way away. But we'll of course be on PC!

Why are you only asking for a dollar?
Because we want it to be clear that the game is on a solid foundation, funding-wise. We're partnering with Fig to give back to longtime fans who have sustained Homeworld for 20 years by giving them a chance to invest in Homeworld 3's success and help us understand the game they've been dreaming about.

What's in the Collector's Edition?
Since we're still a ways out from launch, we want your help with what should be in the Collector's Edition! We put a big list of ideas is in the backer survey for you to check out. So tell us what you want to see, and we'll set about making it a great box of goodies for the Homeworld community.

Which languages does Homeworld 3 support?
It'll be developed in English, and we expect to localize the game. The specific languages are still under discussion and we'll be making decisions based on past places where Homeworld has done well, and new places where we expect Homeworld 3 to succeed. We'll let you know where we land well ahead of launch.

My bundle includes copies of Homeworld Remastered Collection and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak. When will I get those keys?
You'll receive your keys at the end of the 30-day funding period.

How does Discord access work?
In order to be assigned to the "HW3 FIG Supporter role” on the Official Homeworld Discord server, you will need to link your discord account to your fig account, which you can do here: https://www.fig.co/account If you forget to do it before pledging, that's ok! It will still work if you do it after pledging. Just link your account and join the server at discord.gg/homeworld

When is Homeworld 3 set?
We are not ready to give out too many spoilers for the plot, but the game will take place at some point after the events of Homeworld 2. This is not a prequel.

Like the FAQ says, :turianass: pledging :turianass: at the $60 level gets you Homeworld Remastered and the Deserts of Kharak sidequel, which may be a bargain if you are still looking to pick those up...

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38556KTTR0

Rob Cunningham of Relic and now Blackbird Interactive talks about how Homeworld came to be.

His comments about when Gearbox bought the Homeworld rights really makes me relieved that things turned out the way they did. With Randy buying the rights just for shits and giggles it could have been kept in cold storage for all time.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Homeworld franchise is part of the midweek madness sale on Steam. Remastered collection for $6.99, Desert of Kharak for $9.99 (both are 80% off)

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lol nice shitpost

.....wait its real?????

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Call me skeptical but I have doubts that they will be able to deliver a good product that does justice to the franchise.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
But will it have bears and Sajuuk?

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gearbox can lick my taint. I'm not giving them money for something that will just end up being an EGS exclusive.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I have a lot to say about where this is going so Ill just keep it short and predict this is gonna be a confused, mis-directed mess.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Deserts of Kharak was about as fine a Homeworld game as you could ask for without actually getting a proper sequel, so I'm sure they're gonna get the art and music right, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Deserts of Kharak was about as fine a Homeworld game as you could ask for without actually getting a proper sequel, so I'm sure they're gonna get the art and music right, at least.

Ramming the carrier down someone's throat with all power directed to the guns while the gunships and bombers take off :discourse:

Like hell I'm 'investing' in HW3 though lol what the hell? And tbh I don't think EGS will be around in 3 years so whatever on that front. I'm excited to see what happens with it and I guess also Homeworld Mobile, why not.

e: \/\/\/ Yeah gently caress Randy also

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Between lacking the original writing team, and the fact that Randy 'NEDM, Assault and possible pedophilia' Pitchford is involved... gently caress, I never thought a new Homeworld would leave me cold, but here I am. :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Also there will be a port? new game? of Homeworld for mobile.

Can't wait to see how they fit gacha and p2win elements into a rts while maintaining the illusion of balance in multiplayer.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
As a gamer, I am glad they made the brave decision to make Karen S'Jet even sexier, thank you based devs.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

StratGoatCom posted:

Between lacking the original writing team, and the fact that Randy 'NEDM, Assault and possible pedophilia' Pitchford is involved... gently caress, I never thought a new Homeworld would leave me cold, but here I am. :smith:

I have zero faith that this is going to be any good whatsoever, and that saddens me greatly. What a world.

ElBrak posted:

As a gamer, I am glad they made the brave decision to make Karen S'Jet even sexier, thank you based devs.

This too. Not real pleased to see Karan S'Jet go down the Cortana-shaped rabbit hole of "The writer's obvious favorite sue." She shouldn't have been in the plot at all past the first game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Asimov posted:

Call me skeptical but I have doubts that they will be able to deliver a good product that does justice to the franchise.

Well, Deserts of Kharak was a fine enough game, and Homeworld-y. As Homeworld-y you can be while still using the ground and 2d plane of movement.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Mmmmm that's not doing it for me personally but I'm glad that good RTS games are still possible to make. Homeworld is 3D space, not 2D dirt.

This game is probably uniquely doomed due to:
- Fig investment scheme (what the hell)
- All good space game staff have left the studio
- Homeworld Remastered sucked badly and I feel like they lied about "Oh we faithfully re-created the Homeworld 1 AI and assets that were lost." Sure you did buddy. sure you did.
- Epic Games Store exclusive or some similar pre-release announcement of micro transactions, subscriptions, or bullshit of that caliber seems likely.
- All the other normal reasons that games fail.

And that's just the single player campaign. Will these guys be able to balance an RTS? Are they even going to try? How many unique factions... 1?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asimov posted:

Mmmmm that's not doing it for me personally but I'm glad that good RTS games are still possible to make. Homeworld is 3D space, not 2D dirt.

This game is probably uniquely doomed due to:
- Fig investment scheme (what the hell)
- All good space game staff have left the studio
- Homeworld Remastered sucked badly and I feel like they lied about "Oh we faithfully re-created the Homeworld 1 AI and assets that were lost." Sure you did buddy. sure you did.
- Epic Games Store exclusive or some similar pre-release announcement of micro transactions, subscriptions, or bullshit of that caliber seems likely.
- All the other normal reasons that games fail.

And that's just the single player campaign. Will these guys be able to balance an RTS? Are they even going to try? How many unique factions... 1?

Well, the good news is they've only just started working on it, so we've got two long years ahead of us to prepare for the inevitable Gearbox-induced disappointment. I mean, up until the teaser dropped a week ago I legit thought the IP was dead and Gearbox was just gonna squat on the rights like THQ did before they up and died.

So... yay progress :confuoot:

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yay, progress :toot:

I know this is rare with video games, so bear with me -- but I think the release date might get pushed back. Heck they might not hit the Q4 2022 estimate, so we'll have a longer period watch it spin out of control.

I really do hope this is somehow good in spite of everything. Homeworld 3 would have been bitchin' in 2006. It'll be interesting to see how the gaming industry of 2022 affects this thing, 19 years after HW2 hit the shelves. If Deserts of Kharak was good and they have a similar core team and tons of resources, what the hell maybe they'll pull it off. If that's the case then I look forward to Company of Heroes 3, and Dawn of War 4.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Asimov posted:

I really do hope this is somehow good in spite of everything. Homeworld 3 would have been bitchin' in 2006. It'll be interesting to see how the gaming industry of 2022 affects this thing, 19 years after HW2 hit the shelves. If Deserts of Kharak was good and they have a similar core team and tons of resources, what the hell maybe they'll pull it off. If that's the case then I look forward to Company of Heroes 3, and Dawn of War 4.

Man, I got some bad news to tell you...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

:gonk:
Aaaand that's enough to put it under "not buying" forever regardless of the, very likely, issues with the game.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Homeworld remaster isn't good?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

SpaceAceJase posted:

Homeworld remaster isn't good?

They did HW1's remaster by converting it over to HW2's engine, and not everyone liked how HW2 cut down and simplified things.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Due out 2022.
So 2023 until I get to play it on Steam.

Might as well plan for my holiday on Mars while I am at it.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

ElBrak posted:

They did HW1's remaster by converting it over to HW2's engine, and not everyone liked how HW2 cut down and simplified things.

It's much better now, but it took a lot of bodgering with the engine to get it acceptable.

Also, remastered flatly refuses to run on my rig.

Piney
Oct 14, 2003
I remember how the first game was the first and last RTS I ever enjoyed. When cataclysm and homeworld 2 came, the elegant interface from the first game was butchered and was a complete mess. Hope number 3 goes back to the roots.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The team working on this is the exact same team who made Deserts of Kharak, which was a better Homeworld game than Cataclysm. In a vacuum, I am generally optimistic about this game as a result. The concept art they’ve shown is extremely HW, to boot.

That said, the fig campaign (1 dollar lol) is extremely suspect and Gearbox is still poo poo, so ugh. Though I think the people mad about epic are funny, because there is no way in hell the EGS exists as it currently does (if at all) at the end of 2022.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

The team working on this is the exact same team who made Deserts of Kharak, which was a better Homeworld game than Cataclysm. In a vacuum, I am generally optimistic about this game as a result. The concept art they’ve shown is extremely HW, to boot.

That said, the fig campaign (1 dollar lol) is extremely suspect and Gearbox is still poo poo, so ugh. Though I think the people mad about epic are funny, because there is no way in hell the EGS exists as it currently does (if at all) at the end of 2022.

Weird unity sand carriers that double down on the lovely HW2 retcons is good?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The sand carriers were no bullshit the best part of that game from both a gameplay and art standpoint, so I’m sorry you don’t like fun things, friend.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My railgun grand battery just savaging the gently caress out of the final boss crawling across the sand as they were perched on a hill is legit one of the most badass things I've seen in a strategy game. Deserts of Kharak is real goddamn good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game is not out until end of 2022, development hasn't started yet, and Black Bird Interactive is asking for obligation free money from people when they are already under a massively successful and wealthy game publisher. Noooooooo thank you.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Game is not out until end of 2022, development hasn't started yet, and Black Bird Interactive is asking for obligation free money from people when they are already under a massively successful and wealthy game publisher. Noooooooo thank you.

it will collect millions from star citizen fans though, especially when that finally collapses and they need something else to promise them the world

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Psycho Landlord posted:

The team working on this is the exact same team who made Deserts of Kharak, which was a better Homeworld game than Cataclysm.

Are you making GBS threads on Cataclysm, which is one of my favourite games, or is Deserts of Kharak totally amazing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deserts of Kharak is fantastic, but it's not in space. :( The story is great though, it covers the events leading up to the first Homeworld and captures the style of that game perfectly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are they seriously announcing a game that isnt supposed to come out for three years

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Are they seriously announcing a game that isnt supposed to come out for three years
Gotta build up the hype early enough. :v:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm guessing the mobile thing they announced at the same time is why - they don't want a Diablo fiasco. And hey, it 'worked' for Star Citizen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you making GBS threads on Cataclysm, which is one of my favourite games, or is Deserts of Kharak totally amazing?

The exact kind of nerds you would expect hate Kharak because it's different and it's not a 3D space RTS but it's actually very, very good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Deserts is really loving good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
<------------- Yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dust Wars 2 electric Boogaloo?

If anyone wants to give remastered another chance they did work their asses off to approximate the formations of HW Classic and squadrons actually do work quite well now.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 31, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think Homeworld Remastered is very good, Deserts is great, Project Eagle was cool so I expect BBI to be able to make another great Homeworld.

Gearbox, idk i try not to follow what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I still have all of my original HW/Cat/2 cds, do they work with Win10 if I bother to get a cd drive?