Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

Is it too early to start speculating who the next big coaching prospects are?

Besides anyone who's ever shook hands with Sean McVey and is under 40.

Lincoln Riley will get this Gruden package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

OxySnake posted:

Kellen Moore ran a 21st century offense with the Cowboys and they looked pretty good that first game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Every single coach in the "MILD" category lost (or tied) except for Jason Garrett

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I think Mayock bought himself the year at least

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Looking back on it now, 20 years after the saga started, I'm less sure how to grade the Raiders handling of this. If AB was always angling to get cut so he could be a free agent, then the details of how the Raiders did things kind of don't matter because it was never a problem they could really solve (aside from not trading for him at all.)

Dumping Cooper to chase AB never made much sense to me in the first place, but not because I anticipated any of of this insanity - it just seemed weird to dump a young quality receiver who never caused the team grief, to chase after a fantastic but also older guy who had drama with his original team.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Cooper is not worth the 18 mil he's going to be paid and they got a first rounder back

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I think after that embarrassment of a game, not to mention the white flag of a field goal, Mike Tomlin is going to be hot before long.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

who's the biggest coaching prospect for the steelers asking for a friend

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

FizFashizzle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams take a run at Gary Kubiak after this season.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

OxySnake posted:

Sean McVay thinks that the Rams run game coordinator Shane Waldron is going to get interviews this season.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Kellen Moore if he gives the Cowboys an Actually Good offense for 16 games.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Just a reminder that the Jets hired their divisional rival's failed coach eleven days after he was fired.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Just a reminder that the Jets hired their divisional rival's failed coach eleven days after he was fired.

If theres one truth in the NFL it's never hire someone who has coached in the AFCE.

Any Patriots coach, Rex Ryan, Adam Gase, etc.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

OxySnake posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see teams take a run at Gary Kubiak after this season.

So would you say he can......ESTABLISH THE RUN?!?!?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FizFashizzle posted:

Todd Monken got some buzz last off season. If the Browns manage not to spiral to poo poo he'll get some calls

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

So would you say he can......ESTABLISH THE RUN?!?!?

If past history and week 1 vs Atlants are to be believed.

:hmmyes:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kanish posted:

I think after that embarrassment of a game, not to mention the white flag of a field goal, Mike Tomlin is going to be hot before long.

If they don't get a bounceback game week 2 I think you can count on it. They won't drop him midseason but they'll definitely start thinking about it

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the problem in Pittsburgh is in the front office rather than with Mike Tomlin. They just always seem to be replacing talented players rather than adding talented players to a good roster. I think playoff team that loses in Foxborough has been their ceiling, and it's probably who they are this year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The problem is Ben runs the team and Tomlin is going to get scapegoated for AB and Bell running the hell away from Ben

Nov 6, 2002

Bell's situation was about pride and money.

AB obviously just wanted out. It's hard to say exactly how much of that is Ben being a piece of poo poo and how much is AB being a narcissist.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

AB played the raiders like a fiddle and never had any intention of playing for them, ever. All he wanted was a nice holiday in that california sun while not getting paid there and paying none of those not so nice california taxes. He is the galaxy brain and Mayock and Gruden are hilariously incompetent oafs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Matt Patricia is a wasteman and it's too bad Bob Quinn (arguably) tied his GM career to him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fat Jesus posted:

AB played the raiders like a fiddle and never had any intention of playing for them, ever. All he wanted was a nice holiday in that california sun while not getting paid there and paying none of those not so nice california taxes. He is the galaxy brain and Mayock and Gruden are hilariously incompetent oafs.

Except now AB is being sued for being a rapist so Mayock and Gruden may have just pulled a Buster Keaton.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

C-Euro posted:

Matt Patricia is a wasteman and it's too bad Bob Quinn (arguably) tied his GM career to him.

Quinn is fantastic at getting players and a garbageman at getting coaches.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Except now AB is being sued for being a rapist so Mayock and Gruden may have just pulled a Buster Keaton.

this could all be part of his cunning plan

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hizawk posted:

Quinn is fantastic at getting players and a garbageman at getting coaches.

They should just make Stafford the coach imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ehh they still lost the draft picks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's OK, they would've wasted them on busts anyway.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They should just make Stafford the coach imo

agreed

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
doug marrone

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dan Quinn does it again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Simplex posted:

I think the problem in Pittsburgh is in the front office rather than with Mike Tomlin. They just always seem to be replacing talented players rather than adding talented players to a good roster. I think playoff team that loses in Foxborough has been their ceiling, and it's probably who they are this year.
It's depressing how much the front office gets away with things from the fanbase because all their ire is focused on Tomlin

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Outside of Riley and any retreads...

Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)
Shane Waldron (Rams QBs & Pass game)
Wink Martindale (Ravens DC)
Dan Campbell (Saints TEs and Asst. Head)
Byron Leftwich (Bucs OC)
Kevin Stefanski (Vikes OC)
Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)
Duce Staley (Eagles RBs & Asst. Head)
Kris Richard (Cowboys DBs & Pass game)
Todd Monken (Browns OC)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i kinda wonder if todd graham gets a shot. he might be able to pull mike norvell away from memphis and he's old and smart enough on defense so that he's not really going to get pigeonholed into "guy that we can joke about shaking hands with sean mcvay once" and he kind of reminds me of andy reid in that he's a teacher type guy but doesn't really need the college player/college coach power dynamic in place to do that teaching. there's been some light reporting that he visited the pats and possibly even works for them right now.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

hifi posted:

i kinda wonder if todd graham gets a shot. he might be able to pull mike norvell away from memphis and he's old and smart enough on defense so that he's not really going to get pigeonholed into "guy that we can joke about shaking hands with sean mcvay once" and he kind of reminds me of andy reid in that he's a teacher type guy but doesn't really need the college player/college coach power dynamic in place to do that teaching. there's been some light reporting that he visited the pats and possibly even works for them right now.

I think he'd need a year or two in the NFL under a guy like Belichick who could put in a good word with owners. How he left Pitt and the fact that Herm has shown improvement at ASU right away doesn't help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fire marrone

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lol if anything this will make Tom coughlin support him more. If you ask him to choose between a brash young black man or a worthless fat disciplinarian I think we all know how that story ends

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Randaconda posted:

fire marrone

Maybe he will just quit on his own at this point?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurreco posted:

Maybe he will just quit on his own at this point?

lol

like he thinks he's done anything wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Nothing like a coach who's gonna get canned at the end of the season getting rid of good players.