Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

She wakes from a fitful dream and wonders briefly: Maybe I died on that mountain

An Occurrence at Mt. Kilimanjaro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

in the good timeline, everyone in 2021 is using a Palm 13 Treo Max and Jeff Rubenstein is the richest man in the world

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tomorrow is the last day for BlackBerry OS to work

Maybe after it officially dies some nerd can make an actual unified inbox for iOS so that the only good thing about BlackBerry OS isn't gone forever.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i miss my blackberry bold 9000

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
i wonder if blackberry finally dying means that ryan seacrest can finally sell me one of those keyboards for my iphone

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

rotor posted:

i wonder if blackberry finally dying means that ryan seacrest can finally sell me one of those keyboards for my iphone

Some weird company based out of a P.O. Box in Florida probably bought the patent so that they could file lawsuits against like, CNC machine manufacturers for daring to produce something with a keyboard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

i saw the last stock of those up at auction recently and i'm kind of mad i forgot to bid

i mean i like being here so:

Achmed Jones posted:

in the good timeline, the world is a lush jungle and capitalism never evolved

rotor posted:

in the good timeline, everyone in 2021 is using a Palm 13 Pre Max and Palm is the biggest tech company in the world\

gently caress me yes

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i said a boom boom plaow :sassy swipes:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

In the best timeline, General Magic made a Magic Cap that people actually used

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i miss my blackberry bold 9000

I often say I miss my Nextel BlackBerry 7510 but really I think I just miss that time in my life where I could get drunk as gently caress, yell at people on the beep-beep, wake up the next morning and power through another day of cjing to do it all over again, and also not get covid.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
kevin

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

I often say I miss my Nextel BlackBerry 7510 but really I think I just miss that time in my life where I could get drunk as gently caress, yell at people on the beep-beep, wake up the next morning and power through another day of cjing to do it all over again, and also not get covid.

yeah its probably more that, it was my first work-issued cell phone

those trackballs were pieces of poo poo that got jammed up with grime from my disgusting sweaty paws pretty quickly

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
here in the worst timeline someone's going to buy this dead brand for a fiver and start selling cheese phone nft

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
so does the death pool finally pay out?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Antlerhill posted:

here in the worst timeline someone's going to buy this dead brand for a fiver and start selling cheese phone nft

it's be the guy that bought radioshack.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

so does the death pool finally pay out?

i was trying to find the bby deathpool thread for my post but i guess it got goldmined or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

infernal machines posted:

i was trying to find the bby deathpool thread for my post but i guess it got goldmined or something

is this it? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606909&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
also this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571347&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
on a completely unrelated note, clicking though those threads showed me migishu still has his wozzet. i think he's the last.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, yes. i though it was newer than that though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

infernal machines posted:

oh, yes. i though it was newer than that though

bby's been circling that drain for a loooooooong time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i remember a board member at one of my clients getting quite mad at me when i told them to switch to iphones for the next round of hardware because blackberry was done, back in 2011

turns out he still had a lot invested in bby at the time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RIM in peace :rip:

quote:

Many of BlackBerry Ltd.’s mobile phones will stop reliably working on Tuesday, after the company decommissions several of its services.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based business is decommissioning services for BlackBerry 7.1 OS and earlier, BlackBerry 10 software, BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 and earlier versions, as it transitions away from producing phones and toward being a software company.

The decommissioning will not impact BlackBerry phones running on Android software, but means devices running the company’s legacy services and software through either carrier or Wi-Fi connections will no longer have reliable data, phone call, text message and 9-1-1 functionality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, you should have necro'd the thread to post that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Maximo Roboto posted:

early Android phones had it, including the Nexus One

the blackberry pearl was the big trackball phone in like 2007? maybe 8?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nvrgrls posted:

iphone fits in pocket so I don't need the holster.

c
o
w
a
r
d

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

nvrgrls posted:

I often say I miss my Nextel BlackBerry 7510 but really I think I just miss that time in my life where (…) and also not get covid.

same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bump

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I'm reading through losing the signal right now and this could be fun casting. i wonder if they'll start with the iphone launch and then work back, too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i want a margin call-esque board room meeting after the iphone was announced, i dont care if it's 100% made up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

I'm reading through losing the signal right now and this could be fun casting. i wonder if they'll start with the iphone launch and then work back, too

they're making a movie out of it

quote:

A new movie from “The Dirties” and “Operation Avalanche” director Matt Johnson, simply entitled “BlackBerry,” will detail the rise and fall of the once-ubiquitous device as its Canadian parent company Research in Motion floundered in legal disputes and eventually lost its market advantage to competitors such as Apple and Samsung. At the heart of the story is the business relationship between co-founders Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

The film’s cast is led by Jay Baruchel (“This Is The End,” “Knocked Up”) and Glenn Howerton (“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” “A.P. Bio”). Though it’s not yet confirmed, it’s likely they will play the firm’s founders.

Other cast members include Cary Elwes (“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning,” “Saw”), Saul Rubinek (“Hunters,” “True Romance”), Rich Sommer (“The Devil Wears Prada,” “Mad Men”), Martin Donovan (“Tenet,” “Big Little Lies”), Michael Ironside (“Total Recall,” “Scanners”) and Johnson (“The Dirties,” “Operation Avalanche”).

Johnson and Miller adapted the screenplay from the bestselling 2015 book “Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry” by Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff, reporters at Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail.

“BlackBerry” has now wrapped production.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i already linked to that :mad:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

BlackBerry was way more of a status symbol than iPhone is now so that's why I miss having a BlackBerry.
Finally admitting this to myself.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
i never owned a blackberry but i admired their keyboard making skill

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat op I just heard that blackberry phones are dead. RIP to a real one

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RIM used to hoover up all the CS grads from every Canadian university and put them to work kludging away at their awful tech stack so I'm glad I avoided that whole mess

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Juul-Whip posted:

RIM used to hoover up all the CS grads from every Canadian university and put them to work kludging away at their awful tech stack so I'm glad I avoided that whole mess

kevin...

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i want a margin call-esque board room meeting after the iphone was announced, i dont care if it's 100% made up

if it's just that and glen howerton quoting sun tzu while slamming his fist on the table it'll be the perfect rim movie

rotor posted:

i never owned a blackberry but i admired their keyboard making skill

same here. it's kinda wild to hear how they sensibly stumbled into the best compact keyboard design

looking back, i somehow avoided every physical mobile keyboard at every turn :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

who won the death pool