Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

With no brand license, Blackberry Mobile fades to black

My last column discussed Motorola's latest attempt to revive the long-dormant Razr brand, one of a few phone brands from the pre-iPhone era that have made a pitch for market relevance, primarily through brand licensing. (Doing it well: Nokia. Not so much: Palm.) But perhaps no legacy phone brand was hit as hard philosophically by the iPhone transition as Blackberry. Its focus on quick, keyboard-centric navigation was swept aside by the multitouch display the same way DOS was swept away by the Mac.

Eventually, the company brought its own graphical OS to market. But it was too late by then. So Blackberry exited the smartphone market and licensed its brand to electronics giant TCL, which positioned Blackberry Mobile as a high-end, privacy-focused alternative to its low-end value-driven Alcatel brand. At CES 2020, the company made much of its new push to sell phones under its own brands, hoping to repeat or exceed the headway it has made with a line of self-branded TVs that once carried the RCA brand. But, it said, it still saw room in the market for both Alcatel and Blackberry.

Blackberry, though, apparently disagreed and has refused to renew its brand license with TCL for Blackberry Mobile devices. It's rare when a licensor decides to withdraw a license for reasons other than negligence. TCL did not release many Blackberry devices, and it had its share of shortcomings, but its last device, the Key2, honored the brand's legacy with privacy checkups and the best keyboard on a modern smartphone, complete with many clever shortcuts. Had such a marriage of Blackberry and Android surfaced instead of Blackberry 10 in 2010, Blackberry's smartphone business might have survived.

Why, then, would Blackberry, the company now focused on enterprise mobile security management and automotive technology, end the TCL license? Based on a TCL tweet, it seemed as if TCL was eager to keep producing Blackberry Mobile devices. That leaves a range of possibilities. Perhaps the sides simply couldn't agree on a price. Perhaps Blackberry considered the phone business a distraction (although, as my Techspansive podcast co-host Shawn DuBravac notes, the company still gets a third of its revenue from licensing including patents). Perhaps Blackberry's automotive customers wanted it to interface with more popular phone brands like Samsung and Apple and the license was seen as detrimental to those efforts. Or perhaps Blackberry saw TCL's push to pursue its own branded devices as too competitive.

There's also the far-fetched possibilities that Blackberry got a better offer or would re-enter the phone market itself. Such a direction would run counter to the "distraction" possibility, and no one can say what Blackberry may have cooked up in its labs in the past few years. It would not be the first time that the resilient smartphone brand had escaped an apparent deathtrap. And the timing of demise would be strange for a device with a following that was so passionate that its nickname combined its brand and a highly addictive drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is probably too much to hope the brand is now permanently dead, but i am nothing if not an optimist

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
huh, crackberrys still around

'actually, this is good for blackberry'

still goin strong

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

With no brand license, Blackberry Mobile fades to black

My last column discussed Motorola's latest attempt to revive the long-dormant Razr brand, one of a few phone brands from the pre-iPhone era that have made a pitch for market relevance, primarily through brand licensing. (Doing it well: Nokia. Not so much: Palm.) But perhaps no legacy phone brand was hit as hard philosophically by the iPhone transition as Blackberry. Its focus on quick, keyboard-centric navigation was swept aside by the multitouch display the same way DOS was swept away by the Mac.

Eventually, the company brought its own graphical OS to market. But it was too late by then. So Blackberry exited the smartphone market and licensed its brand to electronics giant TCL, which positioned Blackberry Mobile as a high-end, privacy-focused alternative to its low-end value-driven Alcatel brand. At CES 2020, the company made much of its new push to sell phones under its own brands, hoping to repeat or exceed the headway it has made with a line of self-branded TVs that once carried the RCA brand. But, it said, it still saw room in the market for both Alcatel and Blackberry.

Blackberry, though, apparently disagreed and has refused to renew its brand license with TCL for Blackberry Mobile devices. It's rare when a licensor decides to withdraw a license for reasons other than negligence. TCL did not release many Blackberry devices, and it had its share of shortcomings, but its last device, the Key2, honored the brand's legacy with privacy checkups and the best keyboard on a modern smartphone, complete with many clever shortcuts. Had such a marriage of Blackberry and Android surfaced instead of Blackberry 10 in 2010, Blackberry's smartphone business might have survived.

Why, then, would Blackberry, the company now focused on enterprise mobile security management and automotive technology, end the TCL license? Based on a TCL tweet, it seemed as if TCL was eager to keep producing Blackberry Mobile devices. That leaves a range of possibilities. Perhaps the sides simply couldn't agree on a price. Perhaps Blackberry considered the phone business a distraction (although, as my Techspansive podcast co-host Shawn DuBravac notes, the company still gets a third of its revenue from licensing including patents). Perhaps Blackberry's automotive customers wanted it to interface with more popular phone brands like Samsung and Apple and the license was seen as detrimental to those efforts. Or perhaps Blackberry saw TCL's push to pursue its own branded devices as too competitive.

There's also the far-fetched possibilities that Blackberry got a better offer or would re-enter the phone market itself. Such a direction would run counter to the "distraction" possibility, and no one can say what Blackberry may have cooked up in its labs in the past few years. It would not be the first time that the resilient smartphone brand had escaped an apparent deathtrap. And the timing of demise would be strange for a device with a following that was so passionate that its nickname combined its brand and a highly addictive drug.

F

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
say what you will about blackberry, they knew how to make a fuckin keyboard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my first smartphone was one of those blackberry curves that verizon would throw at everyone. had the trackball. blew my mind.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

blackberrys curve

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
so who won the deadpool

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
congrats to everyone who voted for the ancient egyptian month of Tybi

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the pearl was baller as hell and I wish I still had mine

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

Poopernickel posted:

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Poopernickel posted:

My roommate in college stayed up all night writing his final paper for a class on a pearl after his laptop died. Pretty sure he passed. Kind of amazing to think about, no way I'm writing anything longer than 100 words on an iPhone.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:mad:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flutieflakes017 posted:

My roommate in college stayed up all night writing his final paper for a class on a pearl after his laptop died. Pretty sure he passed. Kind of amazing to think about, no way I'm writing anything longer than 100 words on an iPhone.

i reread this like three times before i figured out the guy isnt dead

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

so who won the deadpool

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i don't think i've ever held a blackberry phone in my hands

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i used to repair them in the early 2000s.

they were poo poo. they were always poo poo. it's just that for the first decade everything else was comparatively worse.

pictured, the only two good models of blackberry ever made

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat now what telephones will Real Workers do Real Work on?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the same 8 year old blackberry they will take to the grave with them

i know some of these people. they will retire before they'll give up their rickety old bby

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm the < entity

pram
Jun 10, 2001

this one was very dope

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Isn’t this the one based on a 386?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Isn’t this the one based on a 386?

yes it is!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
send the yosberry

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

perhaps not

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

President Beep posted:

my first smartphone was one of those blackberry curves that verizon would throw at everyone. had the trackball. blew my mind.

had a trackball like the screen had a pointer? never heard of a phone with a mouse before

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

had a trackball like the screen had a pointer? never heard of a phone with a mouse before

I had a trackball blackberry, it fucken owned.

the UX wasn't mouse-like at all, it was more like an omnidirectional scroll wheel. So you'd use it to scroll through your apps, or to page through a document, or to cycle through the clickable things on a webpage. Mine was responsive as hell, with some kind of crazy magic acceleration curve that made it easy to move precisely, and also easy to move super fast.

It was also clickable like a button if memory serves.

the whole trackball UX paradigm kind of fell apart once devs started writing apps for multi-touch devices - like beyond just code portability, any app written for Android would need a total redesign to work on trackball-era Blackberries.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 10, 2020

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
also they wore out with use, so Blackberry made them into a user-replaceable component with no soldering required.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah mine fell out once so i replaced it with a cocoa puff.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

dead trackball so what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the whole :jerkbag: BlackBerry :jerkbag: stylization is so forced and angers me and I am glad this phone is dead solely for that reason.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Poopernickel posted:

also they wore out with use, so Blackberry made them into a user-replaceable component with no soldering required.

then they made it an optical sensor, because, duh.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

then they made it an optical sensor, because, duh.

yeah, cheeto dust would foul the little rollers

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when i worked at the school district, management went absolutely nuts for those things. yeah, email on the go was nice, but what they really loved was the push-to-talk functionality. it got so bad that they started excitedly talking about getting signal boosters put in wherever they got poor reception in the buildings (and then backed off when they found out how much mid-2000s cell repeaters cost).

i wound up changing the push-to-talk alert sound on my issued blackberry because it was such a nerve-jangling sound.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
who won the dead pool?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

all of us

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

when i worked at the school district, management went absolutely nuts for those things. yeah, email on the go was nice, but what they really loved was the push-to-talk functionality. it got so bad that they started excitedly talking about getting signal boosters put in wherever they got poor reception in the buildings (and then backed off when they found out how much mid-2000s cell repeaters cost).

i wound up changing the push-to-talk alert sound on my issued blackberry because it was such a nerve-jangling sound.

But nextel phones had this in the late 90s

I remember it because you'd be sitting in a restaurant and you'd hear *chirp* BRO WHERE THE gently caress YOU AT *chirp*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah idk. maybe combining email was the killer combo after all. or maybe blackberry was just how they got introduced to PTT. either way they had the biggest fuckin' boners on them.

lol i just remembered one time when i was out at a school with a co-worker, and he was having a PTT convo with someone back at the office, and dude at the office started trash-talking someone at the school who was like right next to us. co-worker couldn't say "dude shut up, they're right here" because PTT was not duplex, so he just held the PTT down so it would blank/beep out everything the office dumbass was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah idk. maybe combining email was the killer combo after all. or maybe blackberry was just how they got introduced to PTT. either way they had the biggest fuckin' boners on them.

lol i just remembered one time when i was out at a school with a co-worker, and he was having a PTT convo with someone back at the office, and dude at the office started trash-talking someone at the school who was like right next to us. co-worker couldn't say "dude shut up, they're right here" because PTT was not duplex, so he just held the PTT down so it would blank/beep out everything the office dumbass was saying.

yeah i had a friend or two lose their gfs over PTT stupidity