Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rinkles posted:

Kinda a deeper philosophical question here, but how would you rehabilitate a mr weinstein in that sort of system?

Promote acceptance for people of the Mutant Dick N' Balls community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes I'm glad he's going to prison but prison rape and prison violence in general is partly why our system is so poo poo and produces criminals that come out more violent than going in.

Either you want a just, effective system that rehabilitates people and prevents further people from being victimized and undoes violent conditioning or you get a system where the people you hate suffer and are destroyed, you get either one or the other, you can't have both nor can you have exceptions.
Huh. I didn't take you for the sort of poster to say serious things

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rinkles posted:

Kinda a deeper philosophical question here, but how would you rehabilitate a mr weinstein in that sort of system?

Who knows but most convicts are not Weinsteins nor were able to carry out their crimes because of any power, financial or otherwise, they held over others.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Have you been alive for very long? Evil has been winning prettily handily for quite some time now.

nonsense

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Who knows but most convicts are not Weinsteins nor were able to carry out their crimes because of any power, financial or otherwise, they held over others.

hey booger baby

how's your day

you're a good poster

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i guess this is a case of a good old case

a classic

who started it

what hurt was done to the man

how bad his decision is or is not

you're judging or seeing something that's not there

the rules: don't hurt yourself or others

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i don't believe in evil or negativity

just mistakes that we all make

so it starts from 0 and it goes as far after that as it needs

levels of good, doing a better job

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Rinkles posted:

You can always rehabilitate the basic biological building blocks...

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
also fake news

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So let's convert the system to a rehabilitative model with the following exception: On conviction for a felony if your personal wealth exceeds x percentage of median wealth compared to the rest of the population you do not pass go and report directly to :guillotine:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My god could you imagine the US if they had the like Norwegian Playstation and golf prisons.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

My god could you imagine the US if they had the like Norwegian Playstation and golf prisons.

i like this post

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
But then what would all those private prisons do without their state-subsidized slave labour :confused:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Think of the number! That's the real crime, depriving it of the free labor of these miscreants and tramps!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChubbyChecker posted:

court drawings:

I'm the bailiff

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I think taking former Mr. Money & Power and putting him in a world where he has little to no say in his schedule or activities should be humbling at worst and give him an appreciation for those who have to dance to another's tune at best.

This sentence is also getting some play in the schadenfreude thread, which it should, because I am drinking rich schadenfreude at this fat poopy gently caress's conviction. Suck it loser.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
All Im seeing now is the mermaid in The Lighthouse. But with stink lines.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

US prison system is broken but what good would it be to rehabilitate a disgusting monster like Harvey Weinstein? You need to look at prisons as providing a public good. Weinstein isn't any good to anyone outside of prison. What's he going to do? make more films and more money so he has even more agency to perpetrate sexual violence? In any society you're going to have a percentage of people that use their influence, wealth, physical strength, intellect, etc. to take advantage of others. Prisons suck because they concentrate all of those people into one place.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The_Continental posted:

US prison system is broken but what good would it be to rehabilitate a disgusting monster like Harvey Weinstein? You need to look at prisons as providing a public good. Weinstein isn't any good to anyone outside of prison. What's he going to do? make more films and more money so he has even more agency to perpetrate sexual violence? In any society you're going to have a percentage of people that use their influence, wealth, physical strength, intellect, etc. to take advantage of others. Prisons suck because they concentrate all of those people into one place.

The point is that barbaric and archaic practices and standards in the prison system need to be wholesale abolished and replaced with effective measures that address the majority of cases for the common good and the very notion of destroying "monsters" or it being a means of the government channeling public anger and resentment through the prison system is a symptom of a sick society that cares more about base emotional satisfaction and vengeance over pragmatism and humanity.

So basically in that system Weinstein would serve a long, long sentence but he wouldn't be subject to the hell on earth that modern American prisons are because there is literally no point to it other than making us happy to see that people who "deserve" it being harmed.

That desire is entirely incongruent and incompatible with a healthy justice system. They cannot exist together. Our prison system in this country is just a reflection of our social mores and customs. People here are vengeful and umempathetic pricks who look for short term satisfaction over longterm results, so the prison system is the same.

If you want a good justice system you'll just have to accept the fact that people like Weinstein are allowed to live in humane conditions for two decades or until they die so that hundreds of other people can get the real help and rehabilitation they need. In the end we will have less victims of violence in the world. Fair exchange.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The "US prisons need to rehabilitate" crowd need to realize that prisons have psychologists, social workers, medical staff, and parole officers in place for this reason. The system needs to rehabilitate, but inmates need to take personal responsibility for their actions before that can happen. As someone who's been close to the CJ system, I'll say that there is definitely a "prison culture" of denial, deflection, and minimization of offences. In order for "rehabilitation" to begin individuals need to accept that they have agency in their own lives and part of that is admission and acceptance that their own actions have been (often extremely) harmful to others. Very few inmates have this ability, and if they do, they don't want to play along.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The_Continental posted:

The "US prisons need to rehabilitate" crowd need to realize that prisons have psychologists, social workers, medical staff, and parole officers in place for this reason. The system needs to rehabilitate, but inmates need to take personal responsibility for their actions before that can happen. As someone who's been close to the CJ system, I'll say that there is definitely a "prison culture" of denial, deflection, and minimization of offences. In order for "rehabilitation" to begin individuals need to accept that they have agency in their own lives and part of that is admission and acceptance that their own actions have been (often extremely) harmful to others. Very few inmates have this ability, and if they do, they don't want to play along.

No one disagrees with that, but the system here is increasingly privatized and used for slave labor while practicing human rights abuses and formenting environments that produce violent criminals. The current method doesn't work and in fact is counter productive.

Also how is anything you said an excuse for brutalizing prisoners and inhumane conditions?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If you want a good justice system you'll just have to accept the fact that people like Weinstein are allowed to live in humane conditions for two decades or until they die so that hundreds of other people can get the real help and rehabilitation they need. In the end we will have less victims of violence in the world. Fair exchange.

I agree with this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No one disagrees with that, but the system here is increasingly privatized and used for slave labor while practicing human rights abuses and formenting environments that produce violent criminals. The current method doesn't work and in fact is counter productive.

Also how is anything you said an excuse for brutalizing prisoners and inhumane conditions?

I never said anything calling for the brutalization of prisoners, actually. I'm against prison violence. I just believe that man of Weinstein's caliber should be effectively removed from civil society and not be offered counselling and rehab opportunities.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The_Continental posted:

I never said anything calling for the brutalization of prisoners, actually. I'm against prison violence. I just believe that man of Weinstein's caliber should be effectively removed from civil society and not be offered counselling and rehab opportunities.

I can agree with that, given the severity of offenses, the age of the perpetrator, and the likelihood of meaningful rehabilitation, some people are just better off in institutions. The institutions just can't be monstrous.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Besides Tom Hanks (God rest his soul) are most of Hollywood people terrible human beings?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Outpost22 posted:

Besides Tom Hanks (God rest his soul) are most of Hollywood people terrible human beings?

A lot of them are rich so yes.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

AkumaHokoru posted:

dont be so sure about this one. lifers will be the first ones to try to violate him as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing it.

Especially if he has a vagina

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The_Continental posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/japan-aging-prison-2018-3
Elderly people in Japan are getting arrested on purpose because they want to go to prison

Some senior citizens in Japan are intentionally committing petty crimes because they view life in jail as better than life outside

In prisons, one out of every five inmates is a senior citizen. And in many cases — nine out of 10, for senior women — the crime that lands them in jail is petty shoplifting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JK Fresco posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/japan-aging-prison-2018-3
Elderly people in Japan are getting arrested on purpose because they want to go to prison

Some senior citizens in Japan are intentionally committing petty crimes because they view life in jail as better than life outside

In prisons, one out of every five inmates is a senior citizen. And in many cases — nine out of 10, for senior women — the crime that lands them in jail is petty shoplifting.

Old person prison.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_Continental posted:

The system needs to rehabilitate, but inmates need to take personal responsibility for their actions before that can happen.
while youve got the lamp out just have people stop doing negative things altogether

youre
Dec 30, 2019

The_Continental posted:

I agree that it's a bad idea to gather a group of people together with shared backgrounds, isolate them for years, expect them to conform to an artificial system of rules and inputs and then expect something good to come from them.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Promote acceptance for people of the Mutant Dick N' Balls community.

this would be one hell of a redemption arc for Harvey Weinstein!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

was he the guy that jacked it into a pot plant? and made some lady watch? i'm confusing my hollywood sex pests, there's so many

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

toggle posted:

was he the guy that jacked it into a pot plant? and made some lady watch? i'm confusing my hollywood sex pests, there's so many

yup
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegation_n_59d7ea3de4b046f5ad984211

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I can agree with that, given the severity of offenses, the age of the perpetrator, and the likelihood of meaningful rehabilitation, some people are just better off in institutions. The institutions just can't be monstrous.

Yeah I think we probably agree far more than we disagree.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The point is that barbaric and archaic practices and standards in the prison system need to be wholesale abolished and replaced with effective measures that address the majority of cases for the common good and the very notion of destroying "monsters" or it being a means of the government channeling public anger and resentment through the prison system is a symptom of a sick society that cares more about base emotional satisfaction and vengeance over pragmatism and humanity.

So basically in that system Weinstein would serve a long, long sentence but he wouldn't be subject to the hell on earth that modern American prisons are because there is literally no point to it other than making us happy to see that people who "deserve" it being harmed.

That desire is entirely incongruent and incompatible with a healthy justice system. They cannot exist together. Our prison system in this country is just a reflection of our social mores and customs. People here are vengeful and umempathetic pricks who look for short term satisfaction over longterm results, so the prison system is the same.

Did u stop smoking pot or something?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Burt Sexual posted:

Did u stop smoking pot or something?

No what never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The_Continental posted:

US prison system is broken but what good would it be to rehabilitate a disgusting monster like Harvey Weinstein?

Well for starters people wouldn't be getting raped by him and he wouldn't be a drain on the system so it's a win/win. If you care more about punishment than the prevention of further crimes then I guess your way works.