Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Harold Fjord posted:

both are interesting but I agree that the latter is more likely to be common in this election and is more specifically relevant to what's going to happen down-ballot

So, we saw an example of this in 2016 with what became known as Panera districts. 23(?) districts went from Romney->Clinton but still sent a Republican to the House. Flipping the bulk of those districts blue was the backbone of the Dem takeover in 2018.

Ballot splitting for 2020 features two questions, I think.

1. What happens to the freshman reps in the actual Panera districts? Trump is on the ballot and he wasn't on 2018. Do they hold those seats?

2. What will happen in Trump->Biden districts with GOP incumbents?

Anyone who tells you they know the answer on that is lying, of course, but it helps to disaggregate the two for speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

So, we saw an example of this in 2016 with what became known as Panera districts. 23(?) districts went from Romney->Clinton but still sent a Republican to the House. Flipping the bulk of those districts blue was the backbone of the Dem takeover in 2018.

Ballot splitting for 2020 features two questions, I think.

1. What happens to the freshman reps in the actual Panera districts? Trump is on the ballot and he wasn't on 2018. Do they hold those seats?

2. What will happen in Trump->Biden districts with GOP incumbents?

Anyone who tells you they know the answer on that is lying, of course, but it helps to disaggregate the two for speculation.

The generic house ballot is pretty much tracking the Biden lead, so it seems likely that Democrats are likely to hold their 2018 gains, if it stays that way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am curious about Cunningham in 1-SC, that win was a real confluence of mistakes by the R candidate and some excellent wedgework from Cunningham. The new R candidate is a generic trumplicker.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Discendo Vox posted:

I am curious about Cunningham in 1-SC, that win was a real confluence of mistakes by the R candidate and some excellent wedgework from Cunningham. The new R candidate is a generic trumplicker.

The Post and Courier and Charleston had a great write-thru on what happened with the Cunningham victory. It was a lot more than just offshore drilling that sunk Katie Arrington: https://www.postandcourier.com/poli...cb20045be1.html

Also, his opponent now has been sniffing around SC politics in some form for several years now. She finally got elected to a State House seat a few years back. She also tried to primary Lindsey Graham in 2014. She's also the first woman to graduate from The Citadel. Strong candidate by Republican terms, but yes, a total Trump bootlicker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so the bolton book has started to leak and holy gently caress its bad. i am curious how much it will effect polling.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so the bolton book has started to leak and holy gently caress its bad. i am curious how much it will effect polling.

It's going to make great fodder for Lincoln Project ads, but there's a point at which Biden hits a ceiling, and I don't know if any of the voters Trump has left will care about this - because the ones who do have already abandoned him for much better reasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

It's going to make great fodder for Lincoln Project ads, but there's a point at which Biden hits a ceiling, and I don't know if any of the voters Trump has left will care about this - because the ones who do have already abandoned him for much better reasons.

true but like you said, its gonna be a hell of an ad. also i dont think trump has hit his floor yet but we will see.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

it might convince the endangered Republican foreign policy voter to stay home

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it might convince the endangered Republican foreign policy voter to stay home

yeah. i think this will probably piss off the hawk types and poo poo enough to stay home. idk we will see as more of the book comes out.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bolton book is hot garbage and anyone saying Bolton is speaking sincerely forgets how much of a liar and a lunatic he is. Take everything with a massive brain of salt

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bolton book is hot garbage and anyone saying Bolton is speaking sincerely forgets how much of a liar and a lunatic he is. Take everything with a massive brain of salt

bolton is a vengeful rear end in a top hat who has made a career out of ruining his bureaucratic enemies through leaks, speaking sincerely isn't in his vocabulary but leaking stuff to hurt people he doesn't like is very much in it

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Gonna get my name changed to "A massive brain of salt" :v:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I stand by my statement :colbert:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

How so?

As far as I’m concerned Bolton’s is an awful neoconservative but at the same time he isn’t stupid. He’s strongly against foreign intervention and doesn’t want anyone using the government for purely personal gains. Like Trump.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Gabriel S. posted:

How so?

He’s strongly against foreign intervention and doesn’t want anyone using the government for purely personal gains. Like Trump.

I've got some real bad news for you about what Bolton believes in.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its poorly worded but i read that as a "bolton likes to dish it out, not so much take it" w/r/t "foreign intervention"

it is probably incorrect to ascribe any noble motives to bolton, but neocons have been one of the parts of the republican party that most consistently despise trump so there's likely some ideological clash there

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I know what he believes in and it’s ridiculous American Exceptionalism but I don’t think he’s a pathological lier like Trump.

Edit - Maybe his claims about Trump aren’t true but I’d be hesitant to dismiss them outright. On the other hand I’d throw Don Jrs book straight into trash.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 17, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

evilweasel posted:

its poorly worded but i read that as a "bolton likes to dish it out, not so much take it" w/r/t "foreign intervention"

I don't think anyone would describe Bolton as "against foreign intervention" because foreign intervention is literally his favorite thing and his entire foreign policy playbook. It's actually Trump that is leagues apart from the typical neoconservative in that he is actively against foreign intervention, Venezuela aside (and its not clear that he even knows where Venezuela is). I think it is true though that he is a skilled political knife fighter who is very interested in making Trump look bad.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't think anyone would describe Bolton as "against foreign intervention" because foreign intervention is literally his favorite thing and his entire foreign policy playbook. I think it is true though that he is a skilled political knife fighter who is very interested in making Trump look bad.

he likes being on the giving end of foreign intervention, he (probably) dislikes america being on the receiving end of foreign intervention (e.g. what russia did)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

well, he's against foreign intervention in a lot of countries, because that would distract from the primary goal of invading Iran.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
“Against foreigners” is more accurate

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

evilweasel posted:

he likes being on the giving end of foreign intervention, he (probably) dislikes america being on the receiving end of foreign intervention (e.g. what russia did)

Yea, Bolton is definitely not a fan of Russia.

I don't know if I'd call him a "pathological liar" but he is making a very particular argument with his book (Trump is uniquely unfit and I was one of the adults in the room who tried to reign him in! I quit and wasn't fired) while also trying to politically shank him out of revenge, because he is also legendarily petty.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yea, Bolton is definitely not a fan of Russia.

I don't know if I'd call him a "pathological liar" but he is making a very particular argument with his book (Trump is uniquely unfit and I was one of the adults in the room who tried to reign him in! I quit and wasn't fired) while also trying to politically shank him out of revenge, because he is also legendarily petty.

yeah i dont think he's a pathological liar because that's just not an effective trait: bolton is dangerous to his internal enemies because he finds damaging, true things and leaks them. if he leaked christie was sent for a big mac sort of damaging stories that weren't actually true, he'd have lost his ability to get his leaks published when and where he wants them.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

On the one hand, gently caress Bolton; but on the other, eh, Bolton. I hate how Trump has made heroes out of total villains.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Chalk another up to I don’t think Bolton would lie about anything trump related. He already knows this book will be picked apart legally and in the public sphere, motives and terrible politics aside I’d be fairly sure he was careful about that.

Now with his own bits of information like “I was the adult in the room!” Yes I can believe he would say whatever he wants to make himself sound good. I imagine he had a narrative throughout the book much like many have already.

“I’m not dumb I know trump was a character but I thought I could work with him / help him see this point of view etc”

“It started to become clear he was not interested etc”

“He only followed Fox News / himself”

“I tried to convince him!”

“I quit/ was fired”

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the war criminal John Bolton. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My take on the John Bolton book:

1) John Bolton is an utterly repellent human/walrus hybrid

2) No one should give him a dime for this book, because all it proves is that he cared more about making money off of Trump's criminality and incompetence than actually getting it out into the public sphere

3) That said, the leaks from this book will occupy Trump for another couple weeks' worth of rage-tweeting about how much he hates Bolton's mustache and his stupid dumb poopy face and how he FIRED HIM LIKE A DOG

Verdict?

let_them_fight.gif

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the war criminal John Bolton. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

Just to clarify - I’m not defending him. I’m just saying I believe what he is saying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teacup posted:

Chalk another up to I don’t think Bolton would lie about anything trump related. He already knows this book will be picked apart legally and in the public sphere, motives and terrible politics aside I’d be fairly sure he was careful about that.

Now with his own bits of information like “I was the adult in the room!” Yes I can believe he would say whatever he wants to make himself sound good. I imagine he had a narrative throughout the book much like many have already.

“I’m not dumb I know trump was a character but I thought I could work with him / help him see this point of view etc”

“It started to become clear he was not interested etc”

“He only followed Fox News / himself”

“I tried to convince him!”

“I quit/ was fired”

yeah. i dont think bolton lied about much outside the standard "i was the smart one" poo poo. dudes a loving monster imperialist rear end in a top hat but i think he probably hates the fact that trump would sell out his own country and etc because i do think Bolton does view himself genuinely as a patriot(with all the hosed up poo poo attached) and is probably disgusted by trumps various actions but since he is a gross ghoul, he wants to make money off of it.

basicaly i believe the book but i'll wait for the twitter threads or audible points/sale if i ever want to read it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wonder if Trump will fire Pompeo for passing a note to Bolton that Trump was full of poo poo. He's done even more immature things.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

FiveThirtyEight has dropped its first “polling average” of the race, showing Biden with an lead average of 9 points: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/our-new-polling-averages-show-biden-leads-trump-by-9-points-nationally/

Interesting to note is that this is not a forecast from them quite yet. Their math shows Biden winning with 368 EVs to Trump’s 170 EVs. The entire article is carefully worded, saying that the race could (and will) inevitably tighten.

No word on when they will drop their forecast model showing percentages and daily EV totals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Get ready for some angry tweets

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/1273738133839007751

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
Vice News has Republicans insiders on background telling them that their internal polls are pretty much as bad as what the public polls are saying, and that if the election were to be held today it would be a wipeout where they'd lose the WH, the Senate, and lose more seats in the House: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xg8wya/trumps-poll-numbers-are-so-bad-the-gop-is-starting-to-panic-about-a-wipeout

The big take aways:

• They have Trump down close to double digits in Michigan
  • He is significantly down in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, but not as much as Michigan
  • He is trailing in Arizona outside the margin of error
  • Biden is leading in Florida and North Carolina, within the margin of error
  • Republicans have small, within the margin of error leads in Texas, Iowa, Ohio, and Georgia.
  • Trump is in the low 80s of Republican voters
  • They are seeing significant erosion among seniors and Gen-Xers
  • Strategist from both parties expect Doug Jones and Martha McSally to lose. Notable that McSally appears to be considered even more DOA than Cory Gardner in CO.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DutchDupe posted:

They are seeing significant erosion among seniors and Gen-Xers

Boomers' lead addled brains will drive them forward forevermore.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DutchDupe posted:

Strategist from both parties expect Doug Jones and Martha McSally to lose. Notable that McSally appears to be considered even more DOA than Cory Gardner in CO.

Probably doesn't help that Hickenlooper keeps making monumentally stupid, unforced errors.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel bad for Doug Jones. Been a dead man walking for 3 years.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He still punked the poo poo out of Jeff Sessions and pantsed the Alabama GOP; he did what we needed him to do.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If it's any consolation, Jones has maintained a positive net approval rating which is a pretty stunning achievement considering how liberal he is compared to Alabama.

Still dead man walking but he did what he could.

Maybe he can be Biden's AG if Biden wins.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Still a good gig:

$174K/year for three years

access to the speaking circuit / lobbying / consulting gigs

for the rest of your life people will address you as "Senator"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DutchDupe posted:

Vice News has Republicans insiders on background telling them that their internal polls are pretty much as bad as what the public polls are saying, and that if the election were to be held today it would be a wipeout where they'd lose the WH, the Senate, and lose more seats in the House: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xg8wya/trumps-poll-numbers-are-so-bad-the-gop-is-starting-to-panic-about-a-wipeout

The big take aways:

• They have Trump down close to double digits in Michigan
  • He is significantly down in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, but not as much as Michigan
  • He is trailing in Arizona outside the margin of error
  • Biden is leading in Florida and North Carolina, within the margin of error
  • Republicans have small, within the margin of error leads in Texas, Iowa, Ohio, and Georgia.
  • Trump is in the low 80s of Republican voters
  • They are seeing significant erosion among seniors and Gen-Xers
  • Strategist from both parties expect Doug Jones and Martha McSally to lose. Notable that McSally appears to be considered even more DOA than Cory Gardner in CO.

yeah. its still early but i think trump is probably hosed. there will be more crisis, one of my worries is there are going to be protesters outside trumps ejacularium tomarrow and than the cops and such will go bug gently caress on them.