Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Kind of LOLing at commentators talking up Acosta's racecraft. He tried going around the outside at the hairpin multiple times and lost places almost every time, his racecraft seems about right for a 16 year old, he's just faster than everyone. He caught up the half second gap he had on the penultimate lap in like 6 corners.

Edit: Quaterarro had arm pump, he'll get the surgery and win the championship probably now that the Yamaha can pass Ducatis on the brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

idk what the issue is

right here:

quote:

if it wasn't for being a brit he'd have less hype

For further reading see: bradley smith, danny kent

Also, moto 3 damp squibs don't go to BSB, they go to SS600 generally. I wouldn't trust mcphee with 200 raw gay horsepowers.

I'm enjoying watching morbidelli synthesise the best of rossi and lorenzo's yamaha stints, transforming into an unstoppable resentment elemental.

ROFLBOT posted:

oh so this is where i can talk poo poo about Binales instead of the F1 thread with all the squares? Why isn’t this thread in SAS?

Anyway, uh, go Franky! and Fabio! and maybe Jack....

Cause bieks live here

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Kind of LOLing at commentators talking up Acosta's racecraft. He tried going around the outside at the hairpin multiple times and lost places almost every time, his racecraft seems about right for a 16 year old, he's just faster than everyone. He caught up the half second gap he had on the penultimate lap in like 6 corners.

Edit: Quaterarro had arm pump, he'll get the surgery and win the championship probably now that the Yamaha can pass Ducatis on the brakes.

My money's still on marc.

Acosta is a carbon copy of marc on 125's. No wisdom but insane speed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Enjoyed Acosta's win there, and holy lol at Rins' low speed topple. Like c'mon son, win some races already. No taking away from Jack's win though, always good to see him take a top 3.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm starting to get old Marc vibes from Acosta and that's awesome. I'm also starting to get old Marc vibes from current Marc and that's awesome too.

Acosta wins rider of the week for wishing his mom a happy mother's day in his post race interview.

JohnClark posted:

Yeah, not a great one for Vinales, though he managed to save 11th thanks to all the crashes up ahead.

I figure I can salvage my fandom by just becoming a Yamaha Factory guy now, I just sold one Yamaha and bought another so this is legit, go Quatararo! ;)

So about that...

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

right here:

For further reading see: bradley smith, danny kent

Also, moto 3 damp squibs don't go to BSB, they go to SS600 generally. I wouldn't trust mcphee with 200 raw gay horsepowers.

I'm enjoying watching morbidelli synthesise the best of rossi and lorenzo's yamaha stints, transforming into an unstoppable resentment elemental.

Cause bieks live here

My money's still on marc.

Acosta is a carbon copy of marc on 125's. No wisdom but insane speed.

Funny - Danny Kent was exactly who I had in mind as an example... Obviously minus the weird poo poo (was rather baffled by that whole knife incident) and actually winning the bloody championship. Maybe not BSB straight away, but eventually...

gregbest90 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah he won that championship after moving to moto 2 then back down to 3, after which he melted into the ocean. Still more than mcphee or smith ever did though.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

KodiakRS posted:

So about that...

You guys told me so, but I'm gonna hang on to my Yamaha dudes for the season, see how it goes.

That said, although I was happy to see Jack Miller get the win in MotoGP since it seems like everyone likes him and he was also incredibly emotional and excited, the Moto3 race was the one to watch this week. My daughter and I watched it together and, since she's only 8 months old, she had to suffer through my horrific play-by-play commentary. But holy poo poo was that intense from beginning to end. The battle at the front was incredible, the crash at the final turn was horrific but also fascinating, just awesome stuff from beginning to end.

I don't know anything about this sport so forgive me if this is an insane question, but am I gonna tell my daughter that we watched Acosta's rookie season in several years when he's cleaning up hardware like crazy in MotoGP? Am I gonna be That Dad who talks about seeing Michael Jordan in his rookie debut?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There have been false dawns of a new Marquez many times but this is by far the most convincing and dramatic, if it's gonna be anyone it'll be that guy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

There have been false dawns of a new Marquez many times but this is by far the most convincing and dramatic, if it's gonna be anyone it'll be that guy.

This is a good response.

I remember Pedrosa tearing it up and beating Casey Stoner.

It depends if they can handle the difference between smaller bikes and big bikes. Some people just made a career out of hooning on 125s/250s but these days they gotta go big or go home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

This is a good response.

I remember Pedrosa tearing it up and beating Casey Stoner.

It depends if they can handle the difference between smaller bikes and big bikes. Some people just made a career out of hooning on 125s/250s but these days they gotta go big or go home.

That's the litmus test too. The middle class, especially now with the muscular triples, tends to weed out the riders that have skill but not the bravery for big power.

The 250's had like 90-100hp in a snappy tiny package so they were a good learner for the 500 deathspec, not so much for the meaty four strokes.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 4, 2021

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

That's the litmus test too. The middle class, especially now with the muscular triples, tends to weed out the riders that have skill but not the bravery for big power.

The 250's had like 90-100hp in a snappy tiny package so they were a good learner for the 500 deathspec, not so much for the meaty four strokes.

Agreed - really enjoying the switch to the 765cc triples. Reckon Moto3 will get a bump in the near future once the freeze thaws?

gregbest90 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 6, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk, I think they're careful about things like that because it can disrupt the overall balance of the championship structure. If the moto3 bikes get bigger it will disrupt the feeder system formed by various national championships and talent cups and such.

It would also disrupt the skill progression represented by the power to weight ratio increasing with each step:

Moto3: ~60kg, ~60hp
Moto2: ~120kg, ~140hp
MotoGP: ~170kg, ~260-300hp

One of the reasons for moving to the triples was to bring the middle class closer to the middle instead of only a little bit faster than moto3, they also have an intermediate character so they can be ridden in the traditional corner speed manner, or with a more stop-go style thanks to the engine's muscular character. The old 600's were a pure corner speed bike and left many dudes completely unprepared for the extreme stop-go demanded by the Honda and Ducati when they moved up.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiI-mqj3pYI
this was a fun watch. honestly i'm glad for jack and especially for ducati since i really can't imagine anyone thought they'd go well here.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Lol what the hell was that qualifying session.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

If Acosta wins in these conditions in Moto3, I’m a believer for life.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna say something sarcastic like "lol roberts" but that's a huge opportunity missed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This poo poo is off the chain so watch the race if you haven't.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

All takes welcome as always - if Aleix Espargaro and Aprilia do not yield notable results this season, is it time to step aside and give another rider a chance? 0 wins and 2 podiums across all GP classes since 2004. Sure, he hasn't always had the benefit of great machinery, but looking back 4-5 years, he had a Suzuki that Mav got a win and was consistently scoring on.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Aprilia needs to get Dovi on the bike, not necessarily because he will get wins or threaten for the championship, but to show they can get a big name so they have an easier time getting a big name in the future.

I think someone could have stolen that race by making the call to go to slicks around 10 laps to go, but the MotoGP paddock is way to conservative to make big pit strategy moves like that. The only one who seems to be able to do it is Marc, and that's when he makes the call himself. That one year in Australia the team tried to get cute with the strategy and got DQ'd. All the big teams have enough money, hire a guy from F1 to formulate pit strategies for the 2 races a year they are needed.

Also LOL Marc, I will never not laugh at a Marquez implosion.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Moto 3 reaction: That was a lot of crashes.
Moto 2 reaction: That was a lot of crashes.
MotoGP reaction: That was a lot of crashes.

Also LOL Marc, I will never not laugh at a Marquez implosion.

The only rider who has consistently been able to defeat Marc Marquez is Marc Marquez.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gregbest90 posted:

All takes welcome as always - if Aleix Espargaro and Aprilia do not yield notable results this season, is it time to step aside and give another rider a chance? 0 wins and 2 podiums across all GP classes since 2004. Sure, he hasn't always had the benefit of great machinery, but looking back 4-5 years, he had a Suzuki that Mav got a win and was consistently scoring on.

Imo Aprilia are missing the last ten percent to bring their bije to the front and aleix can't get them there cause he has no experience with not-poo poo bikes. Getting dovi on there isn't really about results but about getting the last little bit they're missing because he knows what that looks and feels like.

Also him and salvadori both had mechanicals and an Italian bike than doesn't function in wet races is just :kiss::italy:

Aprilia needs to get Dovi on the bike, not necessarily because he will get wins or threaten for the championship, but to show they can get a big name so they have an easier time getting a big name in the future.

I think someone could have stolen that race by making the call to go to slicks around 10 laps to go

Holy hell yes this, I was shouting at the screen. Zarco seemed to be the only one aware of the massive missed opportunity and said as much parc ferme.

Feel super bad for morbidelli, I think there's an argument to be made that his off and subsequent knee tweak was pol espargaro's fault because he once again blazed back onto the line, like always, after a gently caress up of his own making, like always, without checking to see if other bikes might be there. Like always. What I'm saying is gently caress that guy.

Also feel bad for Marc but I'm glad he bottled it, cause consecutive wins might awaken Miller's inner dovi and show him that if he calm and smart the races will come to him as he's on the fastest bike by far when the tyres aren't cooperating.

Also lmfao rins. Off to sbk you go.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 17, 2021

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
That was something else. My wife has not really been watching these with me, but she hears me hollering sometimes when I've got them going and she decided to join me for the MotoGP portion of today's affair. She said, "Well if they're all like that I'll keep watching with you!".

Moto3 was weird and, while fun to watch, not my favorite race of the year so far. But MotoGP was so weird and bizarre, I was engaged from start to finish. Great to see Miller get another podium, great to see Quatarao bounce back immediately from the arm pump surgery, and Maverick even lead the race at one point!

We were trying to figure out during the race, would there ever be a reason to pit twice in one race? It seemed like there might have been a moment as the track was drying where you could've gotten some benefit out of different tires, but I figure that would put you too far behind for that to actually pay off?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pitting for slicks around ten laps to go would've been a decisive winning advantage and yeah, there have been many races in the past with multiple wet-dry-wet pitstops with the teams frantically reconfiguring bikes as the weather goes this way and that. It's just been an unusually dry few seasons and you could see in the way the riders and teams did things that they were very out of practice. Marquez for example is the undisputed master of flag to flag races but you wouldn't know it watching that one.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the way the honda threw pol and marc off in the same way and corner in morning warm up really caught my attention. it's always been a tough bike to ride but that was just weird.

I'm happy for miller but the announcers reminded me he's still riding for a contract next year so as always I'm doubting him.

oh yeah I didn't see it mentioned here but finland got cancelled and is being replaced with another red bull ring race.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2nd boring Moto3 race of the season, unless you like attrition.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I think the teams/riders were thinking about the change back to slicks but the window between where the track was dry enough and where there was enough laps left to overcome the time loss from pitting with the long pitlane exit was only maybe a lap or two - i guess in Miller's case at least he felt he could get to the end without the tyres giving him 5 minute laptimes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Miller could have pitted, but he held on because no one else did.

Good poo poo great race imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Also lmfao rins. Off to sbk you go.

This, Suzuki pull from Moto2 all the time so won't be long before they grab someone new

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to think of anyone with a similar talent/equipment combo who chokes and fails to convert speed into results that often, all I can think of is 2016 iannone on the Ducati.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And ironically enough, the Le Mans Moto E race was more like a Moto3 race, albeit much much shorter lol.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

And ironically enough, the Le Mans Moto E race was more like a Moto3 race, albeit much much shorter lol.

What a wild end to the race that was...

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/matoxley/status/1395758218035572737?s=19

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That tweet makes it sound like he’s just gonna text Aprilia some hot goss every once in a while

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That tweet makes it sound like he’s just gonna text Aprilia some hot goss every once in a while

The fashion and gossip beat is already occupied.
https://twitter.com/lorenzo99/status/1394577907658510336?s=19

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do even Spanish people like Lorenzo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCLEH8TxePU

EHH PUTA MADRE PUTA

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I think it's regional, Jorge is Catalan and popular in the east? i'm not looking at a map of Spain, and gets poo poo on by other regions a la Oklahoma vs Texas.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Do even Spanish people like Lorenzo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCLEH8TxePU

EHH PUTA MADRE PUTA

All people whose hearts are good and right love Jorge Lorenzo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love Lorenzo

I just don't like Lorenzo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I love Lorenzo

I just don't like Lorenzo

Oh, yeah. Nobody likes Lorenzo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey there's a superbike round this weekend if anyone cares.

My predictions: rae will win, Redding will complain about the tyres or have an altercation with someone, the Yamahas will furiously battle for third.