Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its time to get rid of the pernicious north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I like the part where this part of Derbyshire would have also gone batshit if anyone tried to put them in Mercia instead of Northumbria lol.

I think this was literally a plot thread on season 3 of the Last Kingdom.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

More fallout from the racism non-report:

BMJ not happy: https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1377537296895991810

Experts not actually consulted but named: https://twitter.com/blackpoppies14/status/1377522299570638848?s=19

Boris' ethnic minority advisor quits: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56601166

And the perfect response from a Tory minister: https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1377508684906041344?s=09

Why am I not surprised! I hope the BMJ comments get some airing on MSM!

Meanwhile, in other news:

My mifi battery has suddenly swollen up! It was ok when I put it in my handbag this morning as I had a hospital appointment, noticed my bag felt rather hot, got home and it's swollen so much it's pushed the casing off the mifi! It's lasted well though - 8 years!
Obviously taken it out and now trying to source a replacement that costs less than a mortgage! Not even Ali Express has one!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
To be sure that NIP dont get any more accusations of anti-Asian bias, they should rename the party The Northern Independence Group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile, in other news:

My mifi battery has suddenly swollen up! It was ok when I put it in my handbag this morning as I had a hospital appointment, noticed my bag felt rather hot, got home and it's swollen so much it's pushed the casing off the mifi! It's lasted well though - 8 years!
Obviously taken it out and now trying to source a replacement that costs less than a mortgage! Not even Ali Express has one!
I'd put it in a cup just in case.

Have it got any part numbers on it? There's a bunch on ebay but I guess not the right ones.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

keep punching joe posted:

To be sure that NIP dont get any more accusations of anti-Asian bias, they should rename the party The Northern Independence Group.

The Independent North Group Experience

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nuke Essex.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The Northern Social Democratic Alliance Party

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

radmonger posted:

I think this was literally a plot thread on season 3 of the Last Kingdom.

This comes as absolutely no surprise whatsoever. It’s all tied in to North Derbyshire being the traditional pack horse route down from Scotland and there being not much else there of any note besides sheep farming till Sheffield started up with Industry.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-is-a-disaster-britain-trade-european-union-boris-johnson-2021-3?r=US&IR=T

quote:

The UK government promised that Brexit would liberate Britain from European trading regulations and herald a bright new era for Britain on the world stage.

Yet after spending years campaigning for the UK's exit from the European Union, Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his colleagues have been oddly quiet about Britain's fortunes ever since it left.

The reason for their silence is becoming increasingly obvious. Since Britain left European trade and customs rules at the start of this year, there has been a dramatic decline in UK trade.

According to the UK's Office for National Statistics, trade between the EU and the UK was hit hard in January, with exports down by 40.7% compared with December and imports from the EU down by 28% in the same period.

This is the biggest overall fall in exports since records began, yet the decline for some sectors has been even worse.

Analysis by the Food & Drink Federation published last week showed that exports in January dropped to £7 million — or about $9.6 million — from £45 million year-on-year, while whisky exports dropped to £40 million from £105 million.

This is a colossal decline. For some sectors, including parts of the UK's world-renowned shellfish fishing industry, the decline could be permanent because of the EU's effectively locking Britain out of its market altogether.

quote:

Sales of many lower-value items have, in many cases, simply become unviable. Simon Spurrell, a cofounder of the Cheshire Cheese Company, stopped exporting his packs of cheeses, which were priced at about £30 each, to the EU because each parcel needed to be accompanied by a £180 health certificate, he told The Guardian.

He said he had been advised by a minister to simply focus on exporting to other markets instead.

All of this is a long way from the bright new trading future promised by Johnson and the UK government.

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 1, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's fine we can move into Bitcoin factories instead. I'm sure we can stick some nozzles or whirly bits on the workstations to create some busywork for the poors to do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphex- posted:

The Forest Anarchists Party extends a hand of friendship to the WAP.
I would be very reluctant to touch that hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

world reknowned shellfish fishing industry

you know them crazy brits with their shellfishing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm curious about how the shellfish thing will evolve long-term. It's completely hosed at the moment of course, but ultimately we have lots of the shellfish and it was a big industry because people in Europe wanted to buy it.

The idea that capitalism will allow a natural resource to go unexploited for long is not very credible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I'm curious about how the shellfish thing will evolve long-term.
Into a crab.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

world reknowned shellfish fishing industry

you know them crazy brits with their shellfishing.

It's big business in a lot of rural coastal places of Scotland where there isn't much else.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TACD posted:

Maybe! I connected well with Stoicism when I was reading about that and I understand that there's a lot of similarities between it and CBT (not so familiar with DBT), so perhaps that's something I should explore further.
Ooh there's an angry workday tech rant behind this and I want to hear it because then I can have a good scream next time Docker pisses me off

Just been doing some freelance work automating a data processing pipeline for a company that does retail analytics (their whole system is a shambles but that's no surprise) and as a part of that they export large amounts of data into files for consumption into some other sysem. Over 70+ exports but *one* of them needs to be in XML. They go "oh yes here's an XSD for it" and then there's a gigantic rabbit hole of dependencies on other XSDs and the kicker is that after all that crap the actual data they need is just dumped as CSV rows in <data></data> tags amongst the morass of boilerplate stuff.

Antigravitas posted:

Careful, lest you get JSON.

JSON is very good and I'm very happy using MongoDB in another project I'm working on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

It's big business in a lot of rural coastal places of Scotland where there isn't much else.

Sure I can get that it might be the primary industry in places with no other industry, but I don't know that that makes it necessarily "world reknowned" as I don't think many people think of the UK and go "and what about all their shellfish"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jippa posted:

I have been watching my local doctors website for covid vaccine updates. They just announced they aren't doing any more 1st vaccines and are moving on to 2nd.

Is this normal? I see some of you guys are in your 30's/40's with no health complications and got called up right? Ot were you just edge cases or something?

43, no health complications, registered with my GP, no jab for me rip me I guess

I think it's meant to be people 50+ who've had the jab at this point, and yeah the rest of us aren't getting one for a while.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Flayer posted:

It's fine we can move into Bitcoin factories instead. I'm sure we can stick some nozzles or whirly bits on the workstations to create some busywork for the poors to do.
I have long wondered why Gyms don't hook machines up to some kind of resistance motors to produce power, instead of having the universe's limited supply of energy burnt up making bits of metal go up and down.

In an ideal world this would benefit the environment, make the population healthier, and in theory at least mean that you could pay people to exercise.

It would also have the knock-on effect of giving us an absolutely jacked homeless underclass, which would be great for various reasons.

Perhaps the electricity going to bitcoin mining is a stupid enough setup that the infrastructure for something like this could actually happen in this hell world. No I do not see it turning into 6 Million Merits, why do you ask?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

London of course will just continue to do its own thing and sell guns to all sides, and as there are pubs in Barking that have more and better weaponry available than the Royal Marines I suspect all sides will respect this.

WE WILL RULE YOU ALL WITH AN IRON FIST

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

43, no health complications, registered with my GP, no jab for me rip me I guess

I think it's meant to be people 50+ who've had the jab at this point, and yeah the rest of us aren't getting one for a while.
My partner (40s, healthy) just got offered hers. Which is a bit of a nuisance really considering she's pregnant & it's going to be a hassle telling them that she can't have it now but would still like it in ~6 months please, but at least they're rolling them out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/dhothersall/status/1377216229233025029?s=19

Labour Big Brains trying to convince me to vote SNP I guess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That may be why she was offered it, the evidence shows that the antibodies get passed on to the child and are even present in the fore milk - US have been vaccinating pregnant women since the start.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NHS advice is specifically not to have the vaccine whilst pregnant unless you're clinically vulnerable because it hasn't been tested rigorously (very few pregnant women want to volunteer for studies, for some reason), so that wouldn't be it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/dhothersall/status/1377216229233025029?s=19

Labour Big Brains trying to convince me to vote SNP I guess.

Duncan Hothersall is an extremely online example of why Scottish Labour probably won't win a majority in Scotland for the foreseeable future. "Actually it's bad to give money to feed poor children instead of support businesses" Why the gently caress are you even in a political party that was founded by working class people to act on the behalf of the working class?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have long wondered why Gyms don't hook machines up to some kind of resistance motors to produce power, instead of having the universe's limited supply of energy burnt up making bits of metal go up and down.

In an ideal world this would benefit the environment, make the population healthier, and in theory at least mean that you could pay people to exercise.

It would also have the knock-on effect of giving us an absolutely jacked homeless underclass, which would be great for various reasons.

Perhaps the electricity going to bitcoin mining is a stupid enough setup that the infrastructure for something like this could actually happen in this hell world. No I do not see it turning into 6 Million Merits, why do you ask?

A typical healthy person could produce about 100W of electricity. Or at current electricity prices, about 1.5p per hour. Particularly athletic people, of the sort you might find in gyms, could produce more, but not enough more to make it actually worth the costs of connecting generators to the gym equipments, and definitely not enough to be worth paying people to exercise.

I think there are some gyms which do it but it's basically a gimmick to attact customers who think they're making a difference.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think that this was literally a plot point in season 1 of Black Mirror.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Duncan Hothersall is an extremely online example of why Scottish Labour probably won't win a majority in Scotland for the foreseeable future. "Actually it's bad to give money to feed poor children instead of support businesses" Why the gently caress are you even in a political party that was founded by working class people to act on the behalf of the working class?

"My daddy was a union rep and managed to get me a good education and I'm spending every moment destroying the route that got me here. " appears to be the only way these people operate.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Gonzo McFee posted:

"My daddy was a union rep and managed to get me a good education and I'm spending every moment destroying the route that got me here. " appears to be the only way these people operate.

that and new labour was basically a vehicle for people who wanted to be tories but lacked the connections to become tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nuke Essex.

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(Seriously, basically all the evils that people like to lay at the feet of England and/or London are actually East of England and South East problems, white flight having done all the hard work of getting most of the cunts out of London over the years)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Leftists, 2021: Actually the problem is those people over there

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

kyojin posted:

Leftists, 2021: Actually the problem is those people over there

I live in Wiltshire, the problem is those people right here.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The only universal rule we can ascertain is that the common problem is always people. If we get rid of all the people, we get rid of all the problems.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
how about Northern And North Derbyshire Organising Separation, should get change uk on board

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

radmonger posted:

I think that this was literally a plot point in season 1 of Black Mirror.

It was - 15 Million Merits.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No I do not see it turning into 6 Million Merits, why do you ask?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Brexit or covid - you decide!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-spain-british-ex-pats-airport-b1825498.html

quote:

A group of British nationals living in Spain were denied re-entry to the country and forced to return on a flight back to the UK after a dispute over post-Brexit paperwork at the airport.

Around 40 people on a flight from Manchester were turned back upon arriving at Alicante-Elche airport in Spain on Tuesday, according to reports.

Describing the situation as “absolutely diabolical”, 47-year-old Mancunian Stuart Miller told Olive Press that a sign was put up at the terminal at Alicante saying: “No TIE card, no entry.”

https://twitter.com/Suewilson91/status/1377350303348051974?s=20

etc

Guavanaut posted:

I'd put it in a cup just in case.

Have it got any part numbers on it? There's a bunch on ebay but I guess not the right ones.

Found one on Amazon :guillotine: that claims to be compatible and ​is a reasonable price so I've ordered it. (The original doesn't seem to exist anymore).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

how about Northern And North Derbyshire Organising Separation, should get change uk on board
Northern Organisation of Neo Communist Environmentalists. Free pie with every membership, sure to go down well in Essex!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Northern Organisation of Neo Communist Environmentalists. Free pie with every membership, sure to go down well in Essex!

Rod Liddle is applying for membership as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Given that the TIE card is the Spanish equivalent of settled status/ILR, but given under more generous conditions.

Well, honestly, they have no-one to blame but themselves.