Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terebus posted:

I'm really surprised you can be this heated about how the US treats black people yet ignore and belittle all the progress black leaders and the black community have made in the last century+ to strengthen the civil rights of all Americans. I don't think the US is the same country it was 150 years ago because that's not how human society works and to view it as such is beyond useless. You've just decided on a boogeyman and you're trying to make everything fit into that world view.

They are brave people who are fighting against immense institutional pressure and still are to this day. I'm baffled that you think things have significantly changed, when we have multiple officer shootings of children the past two weeks. We got lucky, that one of these murderers felt so emboldened about killing a black man, that he did it so publicly, so egregiously. that even his comrades were willing to break the wall of blue and allow him to be sentenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

forbidden dialectics posted:

Does being a relentless pedant ever get tiring? Or does the death of a black child at the hands of an explicitly racist paramilitary gang just force you to keep going?

Wow, you sure have a normal view of the world that's totally not tainted by consuming wayyyy too many cop shooting videos on twitter. I'm posting because there's a lot of people denying reality. I also don't base my worldview on immediately assuming every officer is a racist gang member because that's not what's actually happening in the real world.

Absolutely sickening that in the span of less than 24 hours from the Chauvin verdict we’ve got posts on this forum that could fit in just as well on /pol/ or Stormfront.

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this? Because I think people shouldn't be spreading lies about what happened I belong on /pol/? Do you just accuse everyone that disagrees with you of being racist/nazi?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Terebus posted:

Wow, you sure have a normal view of the world that's totally not tainted by consuming wayyyy too many cop shooting videos on twitter. I'm posting because there's a lot of people denying reality. I also don't base my worldview on immediately assuming every officer is a racist gang member because that's not what's actually happening in the real world.

Well, cops that speak out to the contrary seem to be hard to find. Most of them seem pretty fine gassing up protests and standing behind the "Blue Line".

So many times in these cop videos you just see fellow officers standing there not doing much or actively cheering the violence on. Commissions and investigations into police forces always seem to find a non insignificant number of openly racist and far right officers everywhere they look.

Then you get to the courtrooms and judges and the system continually provides harsher sentencing and more frequent convictions to people of color.

It's hard not think the rot extends down the whole tree.

https://www.aclu.org/news/criminal-law-reform/what-100-years-of-history-tells-us-about-racism-in-policing/

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3924852-White-Supremacist-Extremism-JIB.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/opinions/systemic-racism-police-evidence-criminal-justice-system/#DeathPenalty

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Terebus posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this? Because I think people shouldn't be spreading lies about what happened I belong on /pol/? Do you just accuse everyone that disagrees with you of being racist/nazi?

OK, buddy, take a deep breath and try to control your hyperbolic hysteria.

Nobody is saying that every cop is a racist gang member, but anyone living in reality can recognize that the most extreme actions by American cops are often racist and that the sort of closed ranks protection that cops provide for each other resemble the actions of gangsters.

And nobody called you a Nazi, you're at best a neo-Nazi. The difference is subtle, but we can all imagine how your hairstyle and clothing differs, even if your rhetoric is the same.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's hard to picture the "just asking questions" schtick as anything but a bad faith attempt to sow FUD. They're asking you not to believe your lying eyes in order to further their narrative. Folks who understandably don't want to watch the video of someone being killed won't know which side to believe and favor whichever jives with their existing assumptions. Good faith folks who have watched will question themselves and possibly not want to come off like an rear end in a top hat for calling out the gaslighting.

To lurkers who haven't watched the video, please do take a moment if you can. It's awful, but it's also pretty drat clear cut and you're better off steeling yourself to face it and judging for yourselves.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Famethrowa posted:

They are brave people who are fighting against immense institutional pressure and still are to this day. I'm baffled that you think things have significantly changed, when we have multiple officer shootings of children the past two weeks. We got lucky, that one of these murderers felt so emboldened about killing a black man, that he did it so publicly, so egregiously. that even his comrades were willing to break the wall of blue and allow him to be sentenced.

I do think things have significantly changed since the days of US slavery, yes. I'm pretty sure back then no one would have batted an eye at a black person getting lynched. You can be as negative as you want, but the US has made significant progress when it comes to civil rights and there's still a long road ahead. Pretending like the US is the exact same country it was even 20 years ago is pointlessly naive.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's hard to picture the "just asking questions" schtick as anything but a bad faith attempt to sow FUD. They're asking you not to believe your lying eyes in order to further their narrative. Folks who understandably don't want to watch the video of someone being killed won't know which side to believe and favor whichever jives with their existing assumptions. Good faith folks who have watched will question themselves and possibly not want to come off like an rear end in a top hat for calling out the gaslighting.

To lurkers who haven't watched the video, please do take a moment if you can. It's awful, but it's also pretty drat clear cut and you're better off steeling yourself to face it and judging for yourselves.

This post right here is on the money.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've looked at the video multiple times and this doesn't really look like a case where the cop obviously did something wrong. The deceased was charging one person and then another person with a knife.

But I will say that the cops always have a choice. I've lived in Singapore, a city with next to no violent crime. In one incident, police responded to a call and the guy ended up charging them with a knife. They opted to disarm him rather than use tasers or firearms. It led to one officer getting stabbed in the thigh. But everyone emerged alive.

Probably everyone will have their own opinion on what's the right thing to do. But when there's low community trust of police, they probably should err on the side of less fatal methods.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terebus posted:

I do think things have significantly changed since the days of US slavery, yes. I'm pretty sure back then no one would have batted an eye at a black person getting lynched. You can be as negative as you want, but the US has made significant progress when it comes to civil rights and there's still a long road ahead. Pretending like the US is the exact same country it was even 20 years ago is pointlessly naive.

I think it's tremendously pedantic and tedious to argue that folks are being hyperbolic about institution racism because, on some imagined sliding scale you have in your head, we are 5%? 10%? less racist then a half generation ago.

and, have to say, saying that things are better because we no longer are performing lynchings....is also ignoring the fact that we have had literal unsolved lynchings in the last 50 years.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 22, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

I've looked at the video multiple times and this doesn't really look like a case where the cop obviously did something wrong.

Put yourself in the place of the lady in pink. Who do you figure was a more likely fatal threat, knife girl or gun cop? Would you rather have a white American cop unloading his pistol in your direction or some lady stumbling at you with a knife?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I think it's tremendously pedantic and tedious to argue that folks are being hyperbolic about institution racism because, on some imagined sliding scale you have in your head, we are 5%? 10%? less racist then a half generation ago.

and, have to say, saying that things are better because we no longer are performing lynchings....is also ignoring the fact that we have had literal unsolved lynchings in the last 50 years.

That’s a whole lot less lynchings than hundred years ago. that’s all. We are headed to a better direction.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

That’s a whole lot less lynchings than hundred years ago. that’s all. We are headed to a better direction.

sure. but let's not scold others for being angry at just how far we still have to go.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Terebus posted:

These two posts are kind of scary, its weird how some posters have been conditioned by selective content to think that all police officers are raging racists just waiting to pull the trigger on black people. Policing needs major reform in the west to root out systemic racism and abuse of power, but trying to find racism in every interaction that police have with black people is incredibly harmful.
1) My post was mostly based on the white supremacist rallying cry poo poo of Blue Live Matters that happened after the incident, but my intent was more that regardless if it turns out that the cop is lovely or white supremacist, there is a reasonable argument that he was in this moment trying to save a Black life. I think my phrasing could be better, I really don't know that individual cop.

2) A Black person still died and police were shouting Blue Lives Matters. Once again, one incident should not fully shade the other, I think it's silly to accuse people of reading racism into it. Even if the cop is Officer McWoke, of course you can read racism into it because racism is a system not a mental illness of some people. Lots of Black people die by the police while legitimately doing wrong or dangerous things. The reason they are disproportionately killed is still rooted in racism in one way or another.

3) Not everyone lives fully online lives dude. Some of us have actually been in the protests and seen poo poo. Some posters are Black and have actually experienced the daily subtle weight of policing. For me, I am a white teacher, but I teach Black and Brown kids. My feelings on cops are not rooted in "selective content." They are rooted in teaching amazing kids who are traumatized by cops who come from mostly white enclaves on Long Island treat them like assumed criminals and not the amazing people they are and at best take part in community policing efforts where they interrupt my loving class of actual intellectual debate to lecture them on how they might be tried as adults if they commit a crime. And then shake their head at me when the kids get bored and start talking over them because I can't "Control" them. My feelings on cops are rooted when I was mugged by a Black kid when I was seventeen and I just wanted to naively make a police report and the police bullied me into the back of the police car, randomly drove me around, and tried to pressure me to say a random kid crossing the street was the one who did it. It's rooted in my Uncle who was a cop explaining to me and my cousin how to interact with cops at traffic stops because he was literally terrified of some of the people he worked with.

And look, you're right that none of that should mean I should drat this one actual human being who legitimately was in a tough scenario. I dunno him, I don't fully understand the situation, and I should have phrased my stuff better. But remember that you're talking to people on the internet and you don't know their actual experiences. I think your concern has some validity to it, but to imply that the issue it is rooted in a strictly "content" experience is condescending and unnecessary to your point. And I'm saying that recognizing that my personal lived experiences with the police that jade me are very, very minor compared to what many others experience.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Vahakyla posted:

:yikes:

America: Now with 40% less lynching!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

That's one small measure. William Julius Wilson argues in his book The Truly Disadvantaged that black communities post Civil-Rights movement are actually trending in the wrong direction, arguing about the existence of what he describes as the concentration effect of poverty, where American society lifts a handful of individuals out of communities of color to strut and preen about how much it is doing to combat racism, but then leaves vast numbers behind in ever worsening conditions.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

litany of gulps posted:

Put yourself in the place of the lady in pink. Who do you figure was a more likely fatal threat, knife girl or gun cop? Would you rather have a white American cop unloading his pistol in your direction or some lady stumbling at you with a knife?

I'd take the word of that person and her words while talking to the police officer after that happened. Including the first words that were spoken about what happened. That she said Bryant was coming at her. Not simply "stumbling". But, hey, that's just me :shrug:

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Famethrowa posted:

I pointed out that YOU were being hyperbolic since you stated that policing and the US haven't changed since their inception. That's a pretty accurate assessment and I'm sticking with it. I'm not going to give you a racism barometer because my point isn't that we're done with racism; my point is that statements like yours, implying that nothing has changed in a century and a half feel like they're just meant to rile up division and hate, rather than provide room for any sort of useful or constructive conversation.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ryde posted:

I think those hypotheticals are a bit unfair. You might also ask how they’d feel if the officer didn’t shoot and Ma’Khia stopped short of stabbing the girl, or how they’d feel if Ma’Khia stabbed the girl but she survived and the cop was able to subdue her non lethally.

This was from last page but I really think one thing we're all missing is really this is an extreme circumstance and regardless of the other potential outcomes, the officer in the video is pretty much in multiple no win-situations. What if he doesn't fire and the other girl gets stabbed, and then dies? What if he manages to subdue Ma'Khia? Or she stops and everyone de-escalates. There are so many what ifs.

But he's going to be acquitted because it's such a extreme situation where realistically he potentially took the least bad option available to him.

I'd rather everyone in the video, including the cop did better and made different decisions but that isn't what happened.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

1) My post was mostly based on the white supremacist rallying cry poo poo of Blue Live Matters that happened after the incident, but my intent was more that regardless if it turns out that the cop is lovely or white supremacist, there is a reasonable argument that he was in this moment trying to save a Black life. I think my phrasing could be better, I really don't know that individual cop.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you should really go watch that video in the OP. The cops at the scene were definitely not yelling "Blue Lives Matter", one of the civilians noticed a Blue Lives Matter sign or flag and was reacting to it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

2) A Black person still died and police were shouting Blue Lives Matters. Once again, one incident should not fully shade the other, I think it's silly to accuse people of reading racism into it. Even if the cop is Officer McWoke, of course you can read racism into it because racism is a system not a mental illness of some people. Lots of Black people die by the police while legitimately doing wrong or dangerous things. The reason they are disproportionately killed is still rooted in racism in one way or another.

3) Not everyone lives fully online lives dude. Some of us have actually been in the protests and seen poo poo. Some posters are Black and have actually experienced the daily subtle weight of policing. For me, I am a white teacher, but I teach Black and Brown kids. My feelings on cops are not rooted in "selective content." They are rooted in teaching amazing kids who are traumatized by cops who come from mostly white enclaves on Long Island treat them like assumed criminals and not the amazing people they are and at best take part in community policing efforts where they interrupt my loving class of actual intellectual debate to lecture them on how they might be tried as adults if they commit a crime. And then shake their head at me when the kids get bored and start talking over them because I can't "Control" them. My feelings on cops are rooted when I was mugged by a Black kid when I was seventeen and I just wanted to naively make a police report and the police bullied me into the back of the police car, randomly drove me around, and tried to pressure me to say a random kid crossing the street was the one who did it. It's rooted in my Uncle who was a cop explaining to me and my cousin how to interact with cops at traffic stops because he was literally terrified of some of the people he worked with.

And look, you're right that none of that should mean I should drat this one actual human being who legitimately was in a tough scenario. I dunno him, I don't fully understand the situation, and I should have phrased my stuff better. But remember that you're talking to people on the internet and you don't know their actual experiences. I think your concern has some validity to it, but to imply that the issue it is rooted in a strictly "content" experience is condescending and unnecessary to your point. And I'm saying that recognizing that my personal lived experiences with the police that jade me are very, very minor compared to what many others experience.

Hey, these are some very good points and I agree that systemic racism needs to be removed from western institutions yesterday, but I also recognize that its an incredibly difficult process that doesn't have a simple solution, rather its a prolonged push of social reform. On the other hand, I don't think that the ACAB sentiment is useful since we need policing for a modern society and radicalizing people to hate police as an institution will just lead to more lovely situations, not less. I think the reform that is happening right now in the US is the right way to go, and I just want to see it happen much faster and I don't see how treating every cop as a caricature will help with that reform.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Terebus posted:

On the other hand, I don't think that the ACAB sentiment is useful since we need policing for a modern society and radicalizing people to hate police as an institution will just lead to more lovely situations, not less. I think the reform that is happening right now in the US is the right way to go, and I just want to see it happen much faster and I don't see how treating every cop as a caricature will help with that reform.

Why do we "need" policing for a modern society? What reform do you think is actually happening right now?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vegetable posted:

I've looked at the video multiple times and this doesn't really look like a case where the cop obviously did something wrong. The deceased was charging one person and then another person with a knife.

But I will say that the cops always have a choice. I've lived in Singapore, a city with next to no violent crime. In one incident, police responded to a call and the guy ended up charging them with a knife. They opted to disarm him rather than use tasers or firearms. It led to one officer getting stabbed in the thigh. But everyone emerged alive.

Probably everyone will have their own opinion on what's the right thing to do. But when there's low community trust of police, they probably should err on the side of less fatal methods.
Agreed. It certainly seems like they didn't give much thought to how they'd approach the situation, things escalated before they even had time to engage, and the cop fell back on what his training and kit were set up to prioritize: his pistol. I've seen an argument that a taser doesn't perform well when countering a violent attacker, but... surely we could overcome those deficiencies with a bit of effort?

Law enforcement must be in the service of the public and that necessitates a drastic reworking of the role someone takes on when they don the uniform. It might even require scrapping some departments entirely as incorrigible, replacing them in whole or splitting up their duties to other agencies. Preventing further tragedies like this also requires a drastic investment in social programs to eliminate the circumstances that produce such bad outcomes in the first place.

I can't get into the headspace of the folks outright spreading FUD thinking it will help things, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Terebus posted:

Hey, these are some very good points and I agree that systemic racism needs to be removed from western institutions yesterday, but I also recognize that its an incredibly difficult process that doesn't have a simple solution, rather its a prolonged push of social reform. On the other hand, I don't think that the ACAB sentiment is useful since we need policing for a modern society and radicalizing people to hate police as an institution will just lead to more lovely situations, not less. I think the reform that is happening right now in the US is the right way to go, and I just want to see it happen much faster and I don't see how treating every cop as a caricature will help with that reform.

Why do you think that the incremental, almost imperceivably slow reform we've seen over the last few decades is the way to go? Why do you think that being nice to cops will make them less likely to murder people? Why do you think that people should not be radicalized when outrageous crimes are being perpetrated by the cops in front of our eyes?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Terebus posted:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but you should really go watch that video in the OP. The cops at the scene were definitely not yelling "Blue Lives Matter", one of the civilians noticed a Blue Lives Matter sign or flag and was reacting to it.

You've posted about this video a lot and I'm still confused. Why do you say that one of the civilians noticed a blue lives matter sign or flag? I don't see that in the video.

From my perspective, when I first watched this video, I interpreted it as one of the cops said it before the video started, then one of the people near the person taking the video was repeating it in disbelief. Now, did one of the cops actually say it or not? Who knows. The twitter account posting this video seems to belong to a person in Portland, so I'm thinking it's not the same person as the video taker.

So... I'm not 100% sure of the actual context of it, but that's how I interpreted it. I just wanted to share my perspective of it and how it might not be misleading.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 22, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

good to know that threatening people with a knife is a capital offence in your world and that the police are certified judge, jury, and executioner

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

good to know that threatening people with a knife is a capital offence in your world and that the police are certified judge, jury, and executioner

They are not. Nobody is saying that. It was simply an emergency in self defence, not a judgement of guilt. The police should not use force for punishment, only as an emergency resort to prevent greater harm.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Hi, because this is a heated subject, I'm going to queue big fat probations for anyone who posts like a dipshit in this thread.

Please take a moment before hitting the post button to ask 'does this post suck?' and if it does, please just close the tab and go on with your day. You're free to apply this to other threads, too, but I particularly recommend it in this one.

Reposting this warning

Also arguing whether any police should exist at all, belongs in the 'gently caress the police: defund/abolish' thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926317

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 22, 2021

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Why do we "need" policing for a modern society? What reform do you think is actually happening right now?

Because people are not rational actors and we need an impartial organization that prevents eye for an eye scenarios.

Theres a bunch of examples at all levels of govenment. Biden has started a push but it hasn't gotten anywhere yet, congress and senate are in talks but federally movement is pretty slow.

Maryland is about to eliminate extra police protections, theres movment to remove qualified immunity in various states.

On a city level, theres lots of movement within city councils about police funding and other community resources. That's off the top of my head.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terebus posted:

I pointed out that YOU were being hyperbolic since you stated that policing and the US haven't changed since their inception. That's a pretty accurate assessment and I'm sticking with it. I'm not going to give you a racism barometer because my point isn't that we're done with racism; my point is that statements like yours, implying that nothing has changed in a century and a half feel like they're just meant to rile up division and hate, rather than provide room for any sort of useful or constructive conversation.

I never claimed that the US and policing has stayed the same. In fact, yes, I agree it has changed.

It's true:

You can't legally bar a black person from owning a house in a specific neighborhood (Lake Forest, a wealthy white neighborhood near Chicago, ended it's anti-Black housing covenants in 1990), but red lining and blockbusting has redrawn lines of segregation.

We no longer have slavecatcher patrols, but the police still disproportionally pulls over and harasses black motorists for minor offenses.

We don't have mass organized lynchings, but white strangers will still threaten and occasionally murder PoC on the streets.

The legal framework of Jim Crow has been dismantled, yet a common lived experience of the PoC in our nation is feeling like a second class citizen.

So, yes, I do still think we are a society in which whites have supremacy. The police, as a part of that society, both reinforce and replicate the former.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
:siren:HEADS UP:siren:

If you accuse a fellow poster of being a neo-Nazi or describe their posts as "Stormfront-level", they'd better have posted some really loving vile poo poo. If not, you're getting probated. That's not the sort of poo poo you should be getting wildly hyperbolic about.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Terebus posted:

I mentioned this in my big post but I want to single this out because I've seen posters repeat it as if its gospel. The bald guy on the left in the video is the one who's saying Blue Lives Matter, and then he goes on to say "Crazy! It's an insult especially at this place right now". Listen to the video yourselves, don't buy into twitter or other propaganda. Stop repeating bullshit.

If you actually pay attention and listen to all the audio in the clip the first thing that can be heard is someone (sounds like a radio to me) saying something that sounds like "show your <something> blue lives matter" at about the 1-2s mark then the lady filming says "uh yes" then the guy on the left yells back "Blue Lives Matter! Crazy!" and it goes on from there.

The bald guy on the left, yelling back, is definitely not who they're referring to.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Terebus posted:

Because people are not rational actors and we need an impartial organization that prevents eye for an eye scenarios.

I'm sorry are you describing the police here as an "impartial organization" or am I misreading this

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Terebus posted:

Theres a bunch of examples at all levels of govenment. Biden has started a push but it hasn't gotten anywhere yet, congress and senate are in talks but federally movement is pretty slow.

Maryland is about to eliminate extra police protections, theres movment to remove qualified immunity in various states.

On a city level, theres lots of movement within city councils about police funding and other community resources. That's off the top of my head.

There is no such thing as impartial.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's some seriously American exceptionalist poo poo to see bad policing and conclude:

Of course we need to imagine some revolutionary utopia rather than look at any number of existing countries with high police trust and low violent crime. 'merica :911:

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

You've posted about this video a lot and I'm still confused. Why do you say that one of the civilians noticed a blue lives matter sign or flag? I don't see that in the video.

From my perspective, when I first watched this video, I interpreted it as one of the cops said it before the video started, then one of the people near the person taking the video was repeating it in disbelief. Now, did one of the cops actually say it or not? Who knows. The twitter account posting this video seems to belong to a person in Portland, so I'm thinking it's not the same person as the video taker.

So... I'm not 100% sure of the actual context of it, but that's how I interpreted it. I just wanted to share my perspective of it and how it might not be misleading.

RandomBlue posted:

If you actually pay attention and listen to all the audio in the clip the first thing that can be heard is someone (sounds like a radio to me) saying something that sounds like "show your <something> blue lives matter" at about the 1-2s mark then the lady filming says "uh yes" then the guy on the left yells back "Blue Lives Matter! Crazy!" and it goes on from there.

The bald guy on the left, yelling back, is definitely not who they're referring to.

When I listen to it I only hear the bald guy on the left saying Blue Lives Matter but I didn't listen with headphones. I'm very open to being wrong on this one, I'm just not convinced that the cops yelled blew lives matter based on that video.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

romanowski posted:

I'm sorry are you describing the police here as an "impartial organization" or am I misreading this

No, I don't believe that US police forces currently act as impartial arbitrators, I'm just saying society needs an impartial organization that can intervene in irrational situations.

RandomBlue posted:

There is no such thing as impartial.

I don't think there's a magic group of impartial people, but, as I've said earlier in the thread, I think that we need a well trained and well regulated police force, that acts as impartially as possible, to have a well functioning society.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Why do you think that the incremental, almost imperceivably slow reform we've seen over the last few decades is the way to go? Why do you think that being nice to cops will make them less likely to murder people? Why do you think that people should not be radicalized when outrageous crimes are being perpetrated by the cops in front of our eyes?

The way I see it, over the last 100+ years, there have been significant improvements in the lives of minorities in the US. But, since the war on drugs started, black people have faced increasing discrimination which is finally visible to the general public now. I believe that once the US, through protest, reform, and social movements, removes the systems in place that encourages discrimination against minorities, we'll see a much fairer and more equitable society. It's not an easy or quick change because these are systems that have been in place for centuries, but it's happening. You can be frustrated that it's happening very slowly and I'm right along there with you, these problems should be fixed yesterday. That's not reality though and the only thing that will get the US there is perseverance and organized political action.

My question for the both of you is what do you think this incredibly adversarial attitude towards all police will achieve?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: One other angle of this is that, regardless of the situation with the knife, it is extremely stupid to use a firearm when there are a bunch of bystanders very close to the person you're planning to target.

Terebus posted:

These two posts are kind of scary, its weird how some posters have been conditioned by selective content to think that all police officers are raging racists just waiting to pull the trigger on black people. Policing needs major reform in the west to root out systemic racism and abuse of power, but trying to find racism in every interaction that police have with black people is incredibly harmful.

What are you worried about? What is an example of one of the harmful outcomes you imagine occurring as a result of people thinking the police are "raging racists"?

Our criminal justice system is a profoundly racist and harmful set of institutions and is directly responsible for what should be considered various crimes against humanity (for a variety of reasons, like the way our prisons subject people to what any reasonable/sane society would call torture). Quibbling over the racism of individual members of it is no less ridiculous than someone feeling the need to point out that not every individual in any other obviously abominable institution is bad. It's an attitude revealing that you don't really grasp what these institutions have been responsible for throughout our country's history (up to and including the present). This isn't a nuanced situation that is "morally grey."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 22, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

PT6A posted:

You know how, about a lot of things, we say "oh wow, this is a systemic problem?" This is probably one of those things. We can debate the last 7 seconds of this poor child's life forever, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the more tractable problems are: "how does a 16-year-old foster child come to be involved in a knife fight?" Because, if you prevent that, you've prevented this shooting.

Yes, this. We had cops kill a guy who had knives here a few years ago, and based on the news coverage at the time it sounded to me like by the time things were at the point of "disturbed man charges cops with knives", shooting might be the only outcome, but the fact that things got to that far represents a systemic failure.

The US is really bad at taking care of people in poverty, and children and the elderly get shafted the hardest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I mean for all the back and forth and bad faith stuff calling people Nazis for calling out the bullshit, there was a shooting like just a week ago where a 13 year old boy was shot while he had his hands up, and a decades+ veteran claims they made a whoopsie and unloaded their gun when they thought it was a taser.

All the insane theorycrafting and alternative facts like claiming the witnesses were coerced on the bodycam is just paranoid ranting. There's way more going on beyond this specific shooting of a girl swinging a knife around that you can point to as the real problem.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Speaking only for myself here, but the reason for the "paranoid" response of certain people is because of events like those you mention.

Essentially no-one trusts what police say, and it has become axiomatic to believe that the police are lying bastards who will murder PoC and children for little to no reason. So you have a situation where people go "oh this could be argued to be fine" and it just sets off those same warning sirens that you'd feel if people justified the shooting of Adam Toledo.