Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I was in JROTC in high school so I'm a troop. I got demoted my junior year from staff sergeant (or whatever the automatic rank was for juniors) to private but I can't remember why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

stolen valor (wongly) implies theres some kind of valor in there to steal

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ex-troops are the most entitled fucks of all time, just insufferable

Yeah yeah you did or supported the doing of war crimes you don’t have to be smug about it

I was a troop and I never tell anyone i meet in person about that because it’s shameful as gently caress

bruh I work and retail and vets are the rudest motherfuckers you'll ever meet. They're even worse than older white religious people and chuds.

gently caress you and your Vietnam vet hat and the war fought in you obnoxious condescending piece of poo poo I don't owe you a drat thing.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hey now, credit where it's due. they hosed it up so hard they ended the draft

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Back at the start of quarantine I was working at an animal shelter and a guy walked in with his girlfriend and tried to get a cat without making an appointment because he was a marine. She was so embarrassed it was hilarious.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the 'troop was the only job available in my post-industrial town' argument is so fail. should have become a drug dealer or something instead.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
at least the guys who enlisted for patriotic reasons have the defence of stupidity

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the thing i remember at recruitment age, mid 2000s, is that even as a dumb lib in high school i saw that joining the military was for loving morons and dweebs. it was possibly the lamest thing you could do.

you have to really suck to pale in comparison to the summer painting jobs or Cutco knives of all things

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

exmarx posted:

the 'troop was the only job available in my post-industrial town' argument is so fail. should have become a drug dealer or something instead.

a lot of troops end up doing that too!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

exmarx posted:

Both have the same life expectancy tho

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my dad joined the marines but on the day he was to get on the bus to go to training he just decided not to. they gave him an honorable discharge, so he can brag about being an ex marine despite never having done a single day of that poo poo, lol

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPquarz16wQ

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my dad joined the marines but on the day he was to get on the bus to go to training he just decided not to. they gave him an honorable discharge, so he can brag about being an ex marine despite never having done a single day of that poo poo, lol

That owns and would 100% be the funniest way to steal valor

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
trueanon just did an ep on SF idiots murdering each other over incredibly shifty but simultaneously stupid and petty reasons if you need a good cheap yuck.
incredibly timely

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

trueanon just did an ep on SF idiots murdering each other over incredibly shifty but simultaneously stupid and petty reasons if you need a good cheap yuck.
incredibly timely

Yeah, JSOC is the military saying "hey, the CIA, that poo poo is great, we need our own" and like any other spook organization immediately turns to drug and probably human trafficking.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
also chromite

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

they forgot to include the tuesday special, Biscuits & Grave

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I prefer my P.O.W.s M.I.A.dium-well done

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when i went through sere they were very adamant that torture was mostly pointless and counterproductive, and less psychotic methods of interrogation are far more dangerous and effective. a few years later i found out that they consulted sere instructors on devising the brutal torture programs which are used to this day. whoopsie doodle!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

they forgot to include the tuesday special, Biscuits & Grave

(the Eternal Flame unlimited coffee special has been discontinued due to overwhelming popularity)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I knew a guy in college, he was a libertarian trans chaser and loved doing student government. He "ironically" started supporting trump, was constantly telling people he was named after two confederate generals, and ended up joining the marines after his boyfriend broke up with him.

Happy pride, serving in the military is morally wrong and has been from the first rear end in a top hat hominid to the last cybertank operator, and no troop has ever gone to heaven.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

what about the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not recognized by international law as troop, they go to illegal combatant hell instead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Voice of Labor posted:

there's a real disgusting amount of we honor veterans poo poo here. makes sense, there's no industry or culture or anything so pretty much the only "accomplishments" people accrue are doing military service and high school football

This could be about 99% of america at this point

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Womyn Capote posted:

stolen valor (wongly) implies theres some kind of valor in there to steal

There are free pancakes out there, for the taking.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

indigi posted:

my parents were both bigly Clinton-style libs but I was raised by my mother to never even consider joining the military because it was for idiots who wanted to die for nothing, even though they supported poo poo like the Gulf War and Afghanistan etc. her attitude was probably influenced by her father and older brother having severe PTSD from WWII and Vietnam, respectively. my dad's opinion on it was "if they bring back the draft we're sending you to Canada"
probably even moreso since for pigs it's easy to get out once you realize how poo poo it is. if you're afraid of jail you might see out the rest of your enlistment term but cops can just quit like that day and they'll still deposit your last check

Yeah I graduated high school a couple years after the Iraq war started and my Reagan-voting mom told me the same thing lol. My folks are PMC types and generationally, everyone in my family skirted serving in WWII or Vietnam due to age. Even my great grandfathers didn't go to war because they worked on the railroad or in a foundry etc. The military was for folks who couldn't hack it in school, the most shameful possibility. Even people with money know America isn't worth fighting for.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Gresh posted:

bruh I work and retail and vets are the rudest motherfuckers you'll ever meet. They're even worse than older white religious people and chuds.

gently caress you and your Vietnam vet hat and the war fought in you obnoxious condescending piece of poo poo I don't owe you a drat thing.

Yeah!!! You tell em!!!!

K9
May 6, 2007

thank you for your service troop haters

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

New TrueAnon all about our very best and most elite troops is very good but if anything it undersells just how deranged and psycho troops are

Tag yourself I’m the troops who went out camping with their buddy and then he got beheaded in the woods

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah!!! You tell em!!!!

you mad bro

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Anyone stupid enough to enlist shouldn't be legally allowed to do so

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

HashtagGirlboss posted:

New TrueAnon all about our very best and most elite troops is very good but if anything it undersells just how deranged and psycho troops are

Tag yourself I’m the troops who went out camping with their buddy and then he got beheaded in the woods

Brace is One Of The Good Ones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

less psychotic methods of interrogation are far more dangerous and effective

more dangerous than torture?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah!!! You tell em!!!!

they’re right. in particular marines are the worst. just the dumbest most entitled people I’ve ever been forced to work with. either quality might be tolerable without the other, but god drat marines are so loving stupid and can’t figure anything out unless someone is holding their hand

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

T-Paine posted:

Anyone stupid enough to enlist shouldn't be legally allowed to do so

that’s an interesting paradox. someone should write about it at length

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

indigi posted:

more dangerous than torture?
they’re right. in particular marines are the worst. just the dumbest most entitled people I’ve ever been forced to work with. either quality might be tolerable without the other, but god drat marines are so loving stupid and can’t figure anything out unless someone is holding their hand

it was training on resisting interrogation. so, dangerous in the sense that interrogators would learn stuff from you that didn't want to give away. it is exceedingly well documented that torture doesn't work for poo poo and it was taken as a given throughout the course. there's nothing much to be done about it from the receiving side except to not do the aggressive machismo poo poo from movies, because deliberately pissing off your captor who can kill you at any time means they will probably just kill you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oooh I thought you meant more dangerous as in “more likely to result in an unintentional death”

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Joining JROTC in high school was probably the best decision that I’ve ever made.

Like obviously I was miserable and rightfully picked on endlessly, but at least I got a taste of how dumb and insane the military was before actually joining and ending up getting my taint blown off in Fallujah

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when i went through sere they were very adamant that torture was mostly pointless and counterproductive, and less psychotic methods of interrogation are far more dangerous and effective. a few years later i found out that they consulted sere instructors on devising the brutal torture programs which are used to this day. whoopsie doodle!

did they break one of your fingers during the training?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

all primo usernames