Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

what about like, Garfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

seems like a good cat name idk

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
western culture didn't really give a poo poo about loving teens back then, judging people on modern mores is lame.
german culture was even more crude back then than it is now. they used to just bring kids
to whore houses to teach them about sex. they were a weird, hosed up and brutal people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

EA Sports posted:

western culture didn't really give a poo poo about loving teens back then, judging people on modern mores is lame.
german culture was even more crude back then than it is now. they used to just bring kids
to whore houses to teach them about sex. they were a weird, hosed up and brutal people.

uh one of them was 12 and also what the gently caress is this post. EA Sports, its in the game

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EA Sports posted:

it was quite mean of the germans to make children visit your mom's house

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

EA Sports posted:

they still are, lol @ diesel cartels

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Anyone henceforth solving the Schrödinger equation is complicit. Instead physicists ought to solve the Mooey Cow equation, which is just as good but without the pedophilia (may contain traces of forced insemination with bull cum)

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

So did we decide? Was a paedo or not?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Worf posted:

this makes the schrodingers cat reference i wrote in a poem to my partner a couple weeks ago a little awk

No it's ok, the cat wasn't a paedophile

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SatansOnion posted:

heard promising things re: “Weird Al” Yankovic :shobon:

Weird Al is great and it would break my heart if it turned out he was secretly bad.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Applewhite posted:

In all fairness he wasn't a pedophile until they observed his diaries.

I was here and I quoted the best GBS post in years.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Prole posted:

So did we decide? Was a paedo or not?

Impossible to say. All we can say for sure is that he diddled, impregnated, and was sexually attracted to, minors.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

EA Sports posted:

Alternative take - pedos will thrive everywhere there isn't an active witch hunt because there are so drat many of them.

Solution - they need to live in constant terror of putting a toe out of line

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What has scientsits accomplished the last few decades anyway

Lots of theories and nothing of value

bunch of good for nothing dorks

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It seems surprising this isn’t better known. Everything I know about this guy I found out after that book was published, but somehow this fairly big whoopsie escaped me. I’d say he’s more famous than Eric Gill for example, whose proclivities are apparently well known enough for UK Qanon types to latch onto.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

Impossible to say. All we can say for sure is that he diddled, impregnated, and was sexually attracted to, minors.

Lol

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Physics is cancelled, time to go back to four elements theory

e: poo poo, Aristotle probably diddled kids too. Maybe go back all the way to mysticism

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EA Sports posted:

If they don't want to be judged by my standards maybe they shouldn't have been a bunch of pedophiles. Ever think of that, smart guy?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Worf posted:

i have always regretted not being able to see the expression on the other persons face as this was happening

what was that goons reason for doing it, i remember it was to uh.. i think, avoid embarrassment on a date as you intimated but im trying to think of what would have been the worse option to take

this seems like a way funnier idea for a thread than the time the internet was scaring cats with cucumbers tbh

He got a boner and needed a way to hide it.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Prole posted:

Anyone know any other famous celeb paedos? I've been racking my brain but I can only come up with Schrödinger and that bear off Rainbow.

lewis carroll

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Edgar Allen Poe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Applewhite posted:

I'm tired of all these people turning out to be bad.

i mean everyone is lovely to various degrees. i am fine with outing poo poo like this but i always get annoyed with the weird "actually gandhi or lenon deserved to get murdered because they were sorta lovely" hot takes.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prole posted:

Anyone know any other famous celeb paedos? I've been racking my brain but I can only come up with Schrödinger and that bear off Rainbow.

The prophet Mohammed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Zzulu posted:

this is the kind of bold statement I expect from a LEADER have you considered running for office and abolishing smart things

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

Stupid science bitches can't even make I smarter.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Does Captain Planet count as a celebrity? I would say definitely 'yes absolutely'. And I think it's more than questionable for a man in full body makeup and skin tight spandex to hang around with a bunch of underage teenagers and give them all promise rings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cubone posted:

that's kinda the point

he was trying to say that it's stupid and crazy
we have instruments that detect the presence of subatomic particles, so, theoretically you could hook other machines up to do things (e.g. murder a cat) in response to whether those instruments detect the presence of the particle
the point of the thought experiment is that it's absurd to think that the cat is both alive and dead until you open the box, so what the gently caress?

iirc neils bohr had kinda the most "oh, duh" response, which is that you collapsed the wave function when you put an instrument which can detect subatomic particles into the box you loving twerp

as I understand it there's pretty much no reason to think that the "observer" in quantum physics means "a human being looking at it" and not "any physical phenomenon whose current state is contingent on the state of the particle being definite"
which seems pretty reasonable to me and I have no idea why einstein and schrodinger were being such goddamn babies about it

no, bohr and heisenberg had the response that "yeah, a cat can be alive and dead at the same time. why not?"

The cat experiment is not meant to be literal, it's a physics-land experiment where a box is magically isolating the interior from all interaction with the outside universe. In that case the cat is in a superposition of alive and dead as far as the outside universe is concerned. The child molester wasn't an idiot. He was just carrying the objection against superposition to the absurd case -- if a particle can go left and right at the same time, can a cat be alive and dead?

Einstein and some other guys separately wrote a different thought experiment about non-locality, "spooky action at a distance", which the classicists were also uncomfortable with. But it's posed as a more sciencey experiment with particles, way less poetic than an imperiled cat so it's not in the popular consciousness. And the answer to that one is that quantum mechanics is non-local, get over it.

And the thing you have to understand is how completely hosed up this was back in the 1920s. It would be like if I told you in 2010 that america was only a decade away from a fascist coup led by Donald Trump. Today an educated person is exposed to "quantum mechanics is weird", schrodiddler's cat, and related ideas well before they decide to get a physics PhD.

Also some of the quantum physicists really did put a conscious observer in a special place as the ultimate observers.

Schrodiddler's cat was a big deal. The EPR paradox was a very big deal. It influenced how the quantum physics guys thought, and were problems that the field spend actual decades to resolve. And some of the attempts along the way were wrong, so it's not like these were stupid baby objections.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Klyith posted:

no, bohr and heisenberg had the response that "yeah, a cat can be alive and dead at the same time. why not?"

The cat experiment is not meant to be literal, it's a physics-land experiment where a box is magically isolating the interior from all interaction with the outside universe. In that case the cat is in a superposition of alive and dead as far as the outside universe is concerned. The child molester wasn't an idiot. He was just carrying the objection against superposition to the absurd case -- if a particle can go left and right at the same time, can a cat be alive and dead?

Einstein and some other guys separately wrote a different thought experiment about non-locality, "spooky action at a distance", which the classicists were also uncomfortable with. But it's posed as a more sciencey experiment with particles, way less poetic than an imperiled cat so it's not in the popular consciousness. And the answer to that one is that quantum mechanics is non-local, get over it.

And the thing you have to understand is how completely hosed up this was back in the 1920s. It would be like if I told you in 2010 that america was only a decade away from a fascist coup led by Donald Trump. Today an educated person is exposed to "quantum mechanics is weird", schrodiddler's cat, and related ideas well before they decide to get a physics PhD.

Also some of the quantum physicists really did put a conscious observer in a special place as the ultimate observers.

Schrodiddler's cat was a big deal. The EPR paradox was a very big deal. It influenced how the quantum physics guys thought, and were problems that the field spend actual decades to resolve. And some of the attempts along the way were wrong, so it's not like these were stupid baby objections.

He wanted to gently caress kids

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

It's kinda cool to think the experiment through from the perspective of the cat. Once you open the box and if the cat is alive it will only ever remember to have been alive. That's the only reality it has known. What happened to the dead version of the cat? Where did it go? Will it be back? Or if the cat is dead then what happened to the 5 minutes or whatever of the cat being alive in the box? Did you just snuff out 5 minutes of cat life out of existence by opening the box? These are the great questions of our time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

I really don't think this is true at all. The whole point of his thought experiment was to illustrate how ridiculous and absurd it was that this was the result of the theory. At no point is the cat actually both alive and dead at the same time in actual reality. That there is the appearance of such is just a limitation of our ability to gain information without affecting the system we're looking at.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Klyith posted:

And the thing you have to understand is

don't tell me what I have to do

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mozi posted:

I really don't think this is true at all. The whole point of his thought experiment was to illustrate how ridiculous and absurd it was that this was the result of the theory. At no point is the cat actually both alive and dead at the same time in actual reality. That there is the appearance of such is just a limitation of our ability to gain information without affecting the system we're looking at.

No, the cat is really both dead and alive. That's the whole point. He made the thought experiment to illustrate the absurdity of quantum physics, but the absurd thing is still real.

We can do experimental analogues to the double slit experiment with larger molecules (C60 IRC) nowadays and there is nothing special about quantum mechanics in large scale objects. I hope someday someone builds a cat gun to shoot cats at double slits

e: or at least it's both dead and alive in the Copenhagen and many worlds interpretation, if you subscribe to that pilot wave poo poo it might actually be dead or alive. I dunno

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 14, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Copenhagen interpretation is just a mathematical abstraction that works well to describe what we observe but is still a huge abstraction. The cat is at no point both dead and alive in reality, in any case. It's an obvious impossibility!

I'm not able to find sources but I'm certain that Schrodinger himself said this was to illustrate this absurdity and was not meant to say 'yeah this actually happens, weird huh?'

In any case the cat would be observing its own state so :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The scientific community sure seems a lot like Vatican

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

chaosbreather posted:

the really interesting thing is that they're numbers

each particle corresponds to a field that extends through the entire universe. a field is mathematical object that assigns a number to every point. when the number is high at a specific spot, we see a particle there. ultimately everything is just mathematics, some mind boggling complex systems of which can feel consciousness, and, in the case of Erwin Schrodinger, young girls

Show me a photograph of a subatomic particle. :crossarms:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

kalel posted:

please just goldmine now, there's no need to suffer 4 pages of people trying to reclaim the glory of the first page

Reporting back from Page 4, the thread was unable to recapture this lightning in a bottle. Sorry to inform you of this.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

FPzero posted:

Reporting back from Page 4, the thread was unable to recapture this lightning in a bottle. Sorry to inform you of this.

i have been gradually reducing my vote for the thread since mashing 5 several times on page 1. it is now a 2. you hate to see it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I am enjoying the physics discussion. Grooming 15 year olds is wrong.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i have been gradually reducing my vote for the thread since mashing 5 several times on page 1. it is now a 2. you hate to see it

Voting casualties have been sustained. Back to you in the studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GABA ghoul posted:

No, the cat is really both dead and alive. That's the whole point. He made the thought experiment to illustrate the absurdity of quantum physics, but the absurd thing is still real.

We can do experimental analogues to the double slit experiment with larger molecules (C60 IRC) nowadays and there is nothing special about quantum mechanics in large scale objects. I hope someday someone builds a cat gun to shoot cats at double slits

e: or at least it's both dead and alive in the Copenhagen and many worlds interpretation, if you subscribe to that pilot wave poo poo it might actually be dead or alive. I dunno

Why can't the cat collapse the wave form? It's alive, it can observe and meadure its own state of being.