Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Fish sticks can he used to make a reasonable quick and easy facsimile of a fish taco if you shred them and use seasonings and make a sauce but I'm pretty sure that's not what was happening and I'm lolling at the idea of sticking a sad looking whole fish stick into a tortilla as a meal.

It was the latter. My parents then beat my in-laws at making a bad meal a month later by making a soup for a vegetarian that had fake cheese and other vegan ingredients that wouldn't be too bad by themselves, and then dumped a whole can of chicken broth in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Was at my friends house after school and his dad ended up cooking dinner, which was a plate of chicken hearts. I don't remember what else he served I just remember trying to eat those...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Was at my friends house after school and his dad ended up cooking dinner, which was a plate of chicken hearts. I don't remember what else he served I just remember trying to eat those...

fried chicken hearts are good as hell

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My parents made "meatballs" that were balls of cooked ground beef with huge chunks of crunchy onion in them. No sauce or anything, just cooked in vegetable oil

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

fried chicken hearts are good as hell

I'd be willing to give it a try but how big can a chickens heart actually be to make meals out of it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'd be willing to give it a try but how big can a chickens heart actually be to make meals out of it

You put several of them onto bamboo skewers and baste them with tare/teriyaki/satay sauce as you grill them.

Or a mix of orange and lime juice and dust with chili powder.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That sounds good as hell

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

my brother, our buddy and I got out of a Sleep concert a long time ago and the only place open to buy anything was a Wal-Mart supercenter and we ended up making dirty rice with chicken hearts and livers because it was the only available meat at 3AM, back in the before times when you could go to a store past 10PM here.

It wasn't the best dirty rice I've ever had, but it was extremely serviceable.

The circumstances surrounding this event may have colored the reception, as well.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

ninjoatse.cx posted:

When I was 10 my friend's family invited me to have lunch with them, and they served some kind of really thin soup with what I now know is fermented broth. This was way outside my palette range at that age. I don't remember how I reacted, but they sent me home whenever they had lunch from then on.

it sounds like they just drank beer for lunch and you werent cool enough to keep up

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

MrQwerty posted:

my brother, our buddy and I got out of a Sleep concert a long time ago and the only place open to buy anything was a Wal-Mart supercenter and we ended up making dirty rice with chicken hearts and livers because it was the only available meat at 3AM, back in the before times when you could go to a store past 10PM here.

It wasn't the best dirty rice I've ever had, but it was extremely serviceable.

The circumstances surrounding this event may have colored the reception, as well.

sounds like it could be pretty good

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

it sounds like they just drank beer for lunch and you werent cool enough to keep up

Lmao

This really thin broth makes me feel weird, could it perhaps be poisoned?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good way to shut up some annoying rear end kids.
"Give em the soup and put em down for a nap already"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

My parents made "meatballs" that were balls of cooked ground beef with huge chunks of crunchy onion in them. No sauce or anything, just cooked in vegetable oil
i’d eat this with zero complaints, not sure what’s the problem here

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Big Beef City posted:

You put several of them onto bamboo skewers and baste them with tare/teriyaki/satay sauce as you grill them.

Or a mix of orange and lime juice and dust with chili powder.

I've never tried chicken hearts because it was never something I grew up with but I'm considering giving this a shot, idk I've never tried organ meat in general but am not afraid of trying new things

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Good way to shut up some annoying rear end kids.
"Give em the soup and put em down for a nap already"

The 1850s are due for a comeback retro style

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Chicken hearts are pretty tasty, it’s basically just muscle. More lean than other chicken parts.

I ate the heart of the chicken I slaughtered in an animal husbandry course. It was pretty metal

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

teen witch posted:

I once remember as a kid having grape jelly and meatballs somewhere and no, no. It was like unnaturally metallic sweetness but with meat.

Huh.

I worked at a soda plant 18 years ago and we had regular potlucks. Someone would make and bring this exact dish in in a crockpot every time. I tried it once. It was savory and sweet and honestly not half-bad, but I would not admit to liking it. It was something different, though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Huh.

I worked at a soda plant 18 years ago and we had regular potlucks. Someone would make and bring this exact dish in in a crockpot every time. I tried it once. It was savory and sweet and honestly not half-bad, but I would not admit to liking it. It was something different, though.

Bear in mind it was the late 90s, so I have a feeling that the grape jelly used was loaded with artificial sweeteners, similar kind of metallic twang.

If I had it today, it’d probably be lightyears better.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

It’s common to cook little smokies in a crock pot with bbq sauce and grape jelly. I’m not a huge fan - bbq sauce alone is good - but most people seem to enjoy them at the parties I’ve seen them served.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Not me personally but growing up I learned that one of my best friends absolutely hated vegetables. It was because his parents were horrible cooks.

One of his examples was a yearly fall dinner that was essentially just boiling a whole chicken.

Pan frying broccoli with a little salt and oil blew his loving mind.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stuxracer posted:

It’s common to cook little smokies in a crock pot with bbq sauce and grape jelly. I’m not a huge fan - bbq sauce alone is good - but most people seem to enjoy them at the parties I’ve seen them served.
What the hell is a smokie

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the hell is a smokie

Mini smoked sausages commonly sold as "L'il Smokies"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean we have cocktail weiners in cans although I've never had them in America. But thanks for the education

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Not me personally but growing up I learned that one of my best friends absolutely hated vegetables. It was because his parents were horrible cooks.

One of his examples was a yearly fall dinner that was essentially just boiling a whole chicken.

Pan frying broccoli with a little salt and oil blew his loving mind.

Whole boiled chicken can be p good honestly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

teen witch posted:

I once remember as a kid having grape jelly and meatballs somewhere and no, no. It was like unnaturally metallic sweetness but with meat.

Ugh I had an ex that loved that recipe, woof

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'd at least try it. It sounds like the same kind of idea as cranberry jelly or lingonberry jam on meat, and those work well enough. Grape sounds too sweet and not tart enough, but I'll admit I'm kind of curious now.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its a tailgate staple and doesn't really read as "sausages in jelly". Most American BBQ sauce is already loaded with sugar so it just sort of makes its own sauce and is sweet smokey and salty. They're good in a trashy superbowl food kinda way.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

I'd at least try it. It sounds like the same kind of idea as cranberry jelly or lingonberry jam on meat, and those work well enough. Grape sounds too sweet and not tart enough, but I'll admit I'm kind of curious now.

Yeah if it’s a tart grape, I could see it working decently. Not as tart as lingon, which I love, just not with savory things.

Actually now that I think of it, I’ve never liked a meat-fruit paring. Love the Brady Bunch, pork chops and apple sauce wasn’t exactly my thing as a kid.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean we have cocktail weiners in cans although I've never had them in America. But thanks for the education

These aren't that.
I mean, they are small sausages but the ones in a can are more 'mushy hot dog' and lil smokies are closer to like a brat or Italian sausage in texture, firmer with a courser ground interior (though not flavor profile, if anything the flavor would be pretty close to landjaeger

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright I would try those. I wasn't aware there was a difference

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

(Lil smokies are nothing like those canned weiners... its not a paste and it has a bite to the casing although i have no idea what its made of or what it might be similar to in other countries... its pretty Midwestern i'd guess. They come in a bag pre-cooked and you just toast them in a skillet until they brown and pop, drain the fat, dump them in a slow cooker with some form of BBQ sauce and hand out tooth picks and little plates)

they are pretty good even just as a breakfast sausage though with some eggs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish someone had described them 2 entire posts above yours

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I wish someone had described them 2 entire posts above yours

me too BBF me too

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
K so what are these things exactly

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Those are best used as pigs in a blanket

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

One time a :airquote: friend :airquote: served up enchiladas made with cream of mushroom soup. Just a grey slime covered tube of a single texture gooshing unpleasant mushroom taste as you bite into. Completey inedible. This is after a solid week of this lady talking up her BEST IN THE WORLD enchiladas. I knew the lady wasn't a great cook but come the hell on. It was like eating grey eggroll that you dip into a big glass of mushroom milk between every bite. Blasphemous rear end enchilada.

How about you goons?

I always think it's funny when people make enchiladas with zero chile. The word basically means "all chile-ed up". That is just a tortilla casserole.

Anyway, to answer the question: probably hostess snack cakes that were full of ants.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I always think it's funny when people make enchiladas with zero chile. The word basically means "all chile-ed up". That is just a tortilla casserole.

Anyway, to answer the question: probably hostess snack cakes that were full of ants.

I took a shot of whiskey once that had sat out overnight and it was filled with ants so that's probably my grossest drink ever

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
For the worst drink served, probably orange juice that had started to turn and was beginning to get that cheap, alcoholized fermented sangria smell and being the only one to notice it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

I took a shot of whiskey once that had sat out overnight and it was filled with ants so that's probably my grossest drink ever

Fool. Should've marketed it as an aphrodisiac and charged morons $500 a bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

When I was about 10 I went over to a friend's place for supper for the first time. They made an entire stock pot of Kraft Dinner macaroni and each person had about the equivalent to 4 servings on gigantic dinner plates. I got through about a sixth of it and then was yelled at by his family members for wasting food.

:(