Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

None

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I re-read through some of the Gorr storyline yesterday and yeah this movie loving sucked. God drat God Butcher, a story spanning centuries, three Thors, and a barrage of death and horror as Gorr goes through his plan with some insanely metal moments got turned into a wacky comedy adventure. What a waste.

Nothing came close to this and what immediately followed. Instead we got way too much Korg and screaming goats. gently caress.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Batman used it too

There is some good discussion at the middle of this video on when the Volume works and when it doesn't and how it's just another tool that shouldn't replace everything else.

Starting at 10:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkgAUYOtG8

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I re-read through some of the Gorr storyline yesterday and yeah this movie loving sucked. God drat God Butcher, a story spanning centuries, three Thors, and a barrage of death and horror as Gorr goes through his plan with some insanely metal moments got turned into a wacky comedy adventure. What a waste.

Nothing came close to this and what immediately followed. Instead we got way too much Korg and screaming goats. gently caress.

That entire run was dope as gently caress

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why is this a problem for people? There exists the Gorr storyline in Marvel Comics. The existence of Love and Thunder doesn't negate the awesomeness of the comic run. It's still there for everyone to enjoy it. Peeps can go buy it right now and read it.

But now, there also exists an MCU movie that takes some cues from the comic run but isn't a 1:1 recreation of every moment and every detail from it and that drives you dudes CRAZY.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I don't think anyone is going crazy, its a perfectly normal and sane criticism to say that the movie takes a pretty cool / dramatic comic run and turns it into a mediocre comedy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I guess that’s the core of my issue with the film? There’s literal decades of Thor stories. Why grab/borrow from two very serious very metal bombastic stories about death when what you want to write is a fun wacky funny adventure movie?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

"The original still exists" is a really silly cop-out argument to excuse an adaptation from being dogshit imo.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I guess that’s the core of my issue with the film? There’s literal decades of Thor stories. Why grab/borrow from two very serious very metal bombastic stories about death when what you want to write is a fun wacky funny adventure movie?

Yeah either have a goofy adventure romcom action movie with an appropriately absurd villain or have the badguy this movie has in a more serious metal adventure movie.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Zero One posted:

There is some good discussion at the middle of this video on when the Volume works and when it doesn't and how it's just another tool that shouldn't replace everything else.

Starting at 10:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkgAUYOtG8

Having a very limited interaction with the Volume a few months ago, this is what I will say - it is a giant time suck. The crew spent so much time tweaking the background, fixing the perspective, running the VFX numbers and camera tests and lighting, the actual "acting" part was way on the back burner. A small scene, a quiet moment on an alien world, became a labored prolonged agonizing 2-day odyssey. It makes amazing stuff, the crew was saying the flight scenes they had worked on the previous week were so accurate people on stage got motion sickness. But you have to devote so much time and energy to it, and the actual acting and story has to be secondary because if something/someone messes up the scene or negates all the pre-visual work that was done that's just more money spent.

And thank you for this link! Most of my friends are in post and I love hearing their horror stories of last-minute changes or lingering edits waiting for notes from execs. It's pure schadenfreude.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The tech backend is still very early days, and there are some aspects that no-one has a good answer to yet. Everyone's rushing to use it asap but that time sink will drop over time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

"The original still exists" is a really silly cop-out argument to excuse an adaptation from being dogshit imo.

making GBS threads on it because it isn't just like the comic is just as silly in my opinion. Like it was ever going to be that and like who expects this after 10 fuckin years of these movies?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just curious : what is this tech people keep referring to?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

It’s called The Volume and began with The Mandalorian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Instead of a green screen it’s a giant video screen that surrounds the actors that is powered by stuff rendered by Unreal engine. A couple of the documentaries on Disney+ about making the shows (specifically Mando) show it off.

E: dammit!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Did anyone else feel like all of Korg's lines were recorded in a bathroom or something? Something about the quality of the recording made it seem like Korg wasnt there in person with any of the rest of the cast (not helped by the fact that his CGI was also pretty cartoon-y)

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Riven posted:

Instead of a green screen it’s a giant video screen that surrounds the actors that is powered by stuff rendered by Unreal engine. A couple of the documentaries on Disney+ about making the shows (specifically Mando) show it off.

E: dammit!

I know this is reductive, but isn't it basically very fancy rear projection?

But maybe the old ways are the best

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

garycoleisgod posted:

Yes but it’s wonderful in terms of lighting and reflections within the space (since it’s been rendered in real time) and because the render is tied to the camera’s position and FOV it allows the camera to freely move around with the image in the background changing accordingly. So yes it’s a rear projection but there’s A LOT happening in the background.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The LEDs directly emit light so they're a lot more flexible in terms of brightness and contrast vs a projection, and simpler to set up in a physical space. You can do similar tricks with rear projection and modern projectors, like what they did for the hyperspace sequence in Solo.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

making GBS threads on it because it isn't just like the comic is just as silly in my opinion. Like it was ever going to be that and like who expects this after 10 fuckin years of these movies?

I’m not saying ( and I don’t think anyone else has) that it should be a 1:1 adaptation of the comic run. There’s 40+ years of Thor material to choose from and picking a dramatic/serious run and turning it into a goofy romcom doesn’t really work here as others have pointed out that the tone is all over the place.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Movie owned and was great. Just lol at critiquing it for having "child soldiers" you absolute fuckin' goober.

I'm just saying, the scripts a mess, that's one of a dozen issues. Cough, cancer, cough. Calling me a goober for wanting them to do more than one draft makes me think you thought Wanda was justified in mind rape in her show too. I like dumb comic book movies, but trying to say this wasn't a really dumb comic book movie that was half assing it is just... you're fooling yourself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

garycoleisgod posted:

It's infinitely better than the old one lump of rock and a wall of green option

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

Did anyone else feel like all of Korg's lines were recorded in a bathroom or something? Something about the quality of the recording made it seem like Korg wasnt there in person with any of the rest of the cast (not helped by the fact that his CGI was also pretty cartoon-y)

I've never been able to understand 40% of what Korg says without subtitles, personally.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LionYeti posted:

Also Boy having Eternity would have been useful during Endgame to go to there and wish everyone back and Thanos dead, they don't even try and explain why that's in play now as opposed to back then.

Who knew about that at that point? All the dead and dusted Asgardians? Depressed homebound drunk Thor? Maybe Thor knew what Eternity was but this movie sure did feature a scene where a character figured out that the way to get to her was the Bifrost and it sure did seem like a big discovery and not just obvious knowledge everyone was sitting on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

theironjef posted:

Who knew about that at that point? All the dead and dusted Asgardians? Depressed homebound drunk Thor? Maybe Thor knew what Eternity was but this movie sure did feature a scene where a character figured out that the way to get to her was the Bifrost and it sure did seem like a big discovery and not just obvious knowledge everyone was sitting on.

I think the only part that confused me about the end was where exactly the final fight took place. Gorr was essentially creating / warping the shadow realm into a temple of sorts which happened to have the gate to Eternity there? It wasn't something that necessitated stormbreaker for it, the axe was needed to unlock the key. Which makes me wonder what the hell was the point of the "eternity is at the center of the universe and it's a supermassive blackhole and no one has ever made it" but Gorr had no issues getting there AND thor had no issues warping there either using thunderbolt, which conveniently happens to be another weapon with instant transmission across the loving universe. Lucky!

And if he could warp himself/people with thunderbolt, why didn't he use it to send the kids away BEFORE fighting off everything and risking them getting hurt or killed fighting shadow monsters.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
When I saw this in the theater we had to run right at the end to make a family dinner, so we skipped the extra scenes. Now I want to see them, but everything on youtube is just weird men screaming about the scenes without actually just showing the loving scenes. Is there anywhere I can see these dumb clips on their own?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think the only part that confused me about the end was where exactly the final fight took place. Gorr was essentially creating / warping the shadow realm into a temple of sorts which happened to have the gate to Eternity there? It wasn't something that necessitated stormbreaker for it, the axe was needed to unlock the key. Which makes me wonder what the hell was the point of the "eternity is at the center of the universe and it's a supermassive blackhole and no one has ever made it" but Gorr had no issues getting there AND thor had no issues warping there either using thunderbolt, which conveniently happens to be another weapon with instant transmission across the loving universe. Lucky!

And if he could warp himself/people with thunderbolt, why didn't he use it to send the kids away BEFORE fighting off everything and risking them getting hurt or killed fighting shadow monsters.

Yes. Also great points. Total mess of a film. But the goats were funny. (Sorta)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

So at the end Christian Bale could wish for literally anything right? Like, the big worry was that he would wish all the gods dead, right?

So instead he wishes for one life to be restored? Couldn't be have wished for himself and all his people to be saved? Why are people always so loving bad at wishes?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I laughed Thor summoned the bifrost and the goats got sucked into it and screamed Sue me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I laughed Thor summoned the bifrost and the goats got sucked into it and screamed Sue me.

The one joke that actually landed well with me was : the crew arriving at the shadow realm and perspective fuckery making you think it’s a planet but no in a tiny rear end rock and the they crash goats first into the thing immediately.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

TIP posted:

So at the end Christian Bale could wish for literally anything right? Like, the big worry was that he would wish all the gods dead, right?

So instead he wishes for one life to be restored? Couldn't be have wished for himself and all his people to be saved? Why are people always so loving bad at wishes?

It's not stated in any way, but maybe he burned some bridges with them and wouldn't really want them back? They may not have been too keen on being brought back by the guy who killed their god considering they were probably a group of fanatics

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It's not stated in any way, but maybe he burned some bridges with them and wouldn't really want them back? They may not have been too keen on being brought back by the guy who killed their god considering they were probably a group of fanatics

he could have wished for them to be ok with it, or wished that his god came back to life as a loving and protective god

he could have wished for literally anything

but instead he decided this dude who he's been fighting should raise his child... alone

I mean, even if we say "he feels too corrupted by the things he's done to be a part of her life" he could have at least saved natalie portman so she'd have a happy home with two parents

marvel is on a run of people being really bad at wishing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

No? The tonal problems are when the movie goes from Thor being silly, celebrating his victory, and how ridiculous it is that is came at the cost of the tower, to immediately showing Jane in an MRI machine, and then dealing with stage 4 cancer. That’s a tonal shift they gives the viewer whiplash, and left me wondering what kind of movie I was watching. A question I don’t think the movie ever really answered.

, at times.
Y'all, they were drawing that parallel on purpose because Jane was going to choose fun viking space god adventures over dying of cancer.

We were intended to feel the difference in tone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I just didn’t think it was done that great. Guardians has the exact same tonal shift but reversed and that makes a huge difference. You feel the change but it goes down better.

My biggest issue in hindsight is I hate watiti’s Thor. He’s an absolute idiot in a really annoying way. It works in Ragnarok. And I was cool with Infinity War but endgame and this were really iffy.

He’s like beyond stupid in this movie. Maybe the dumbest character full stop.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I liked this movie. Might have been the three pints I drank before i went in, but it was pretty funny and enjoyable for me.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I just didn’t think it was done that great. Guardians has the exact same tonal shift but reversed and that makes a huge difference. You feel the change but it goes down better.

My biggest issue in hindsight is I hate watiti’s Thor. He’s an absolute idiot in a really annoying way. It works in Ragnarok. And I was cool with Infinity War but endgame and this were really iffy.

He’s like beyond stupid in this movie. Maybe the dumbest character full stop.

I think this version of Thor is as much Hemsworth as Watiti as he was apparantly bored as poo poo with the character in the first few movies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

AndyElusive posted:

Why is this a problem for people? There exists the Gorr storyline in Marvel Comics. The existence of Love and Thunder doesn't negate the awesomeness of the comic run. It's still there for everyone to enjoy it. Peeps can go buy it right now and read it.

But now, there also exists an MCU movie that takes some cues from the comic run but isn't a 1:1 recreation of every moment and every detail from it and that drives you dudes CRAZY.

I don't know the comics but I assume they're a good example of comics while this is a bad example of movie. They have the same character in a good thing and a bad thing, which registers as unfortunate. I hope my enjoyment maths adds up and you can get it now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know it’s not exactly unique to this movie but The gods bleeding gold reminded me of Gods of Egypt and let me tell you that’s not a movie you want to remind me of when watching your movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JBP posted:

I hope my enjoyment maths adds up and you can get it now.

Eh, not really. I don't get how anyone can actively dislike this movie with how much good feelings pours out of it but whatever. You dudes are more than welcome to keep trying to convince me of how bad it is.