Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How is the Neutral payoff compared to the Chaos one? Is it just the bunch of named generics that's the real pull there or...

In the PSX version, neutral was the only way to get all the shamans since the way to do so on a different route (chaos?) was bugged.

Not that it matters too much since the forbidden magic was outright worse than dragon magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How is the Neutral payoff compared to the Chaos one? Is it just the bunch of named generics that's the real pull there or...

Not great. I mean you get an actual zombie on your team but he sucks. Neutral was the only playthrough I hadn't completed so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Also Denam is a wishy-washy little bitch on the route. No wonder Arycelle has no time for him.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

victrix posted:

per action is so loving bad and I do not understand why it keeps getting used in trpgs

Beat me to it. Trying to get a new party member to catch up by repeatedly skipping the turn of his 11 mates is not fun. If the player is going to have to play catch-up, and that may be inevitable, it should be via doing things efficiently.

I'm probably not going to like the leveling system regardless of what they do for the reason that it will make leveling a new character/class/whatever very tedious. I don't see why they couldn't make a new c/c/w who joins the group be the average level of all existing toons, or something like that.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
There's a new interview about the remake in Japanese. Some new info that stood out to me:

-The Union level you can see in some screenshots is a level cap that goes up as you progress through the game. It sounds like you can (optionally?) ignore it when you World back to battles you've already completed.
-Training battles are back. Also enemies can sometimes drop consumables that grant EXP? It sounds like they wanted to make it as painless as possible to catch units up level-wise. No word on whether experience is granted for each action or only at the end of battles, unless machine translation butchered that detail somehow.
-All the story content added to the PSP version is back, but it sounds like no new story content is being added. Matsuno rewrote some of the dialog to better accommodate voice acting. Every line of dialog is voiced, as well. No word on whether the English script has seen any changes.
-A bunch of skills were removed, but I think everyone expected that with only 4 skills slots.
-There's a 2x speed toggle in combat.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

-A bunch of skills were removed, but I think everyone expected that with only 4 skills slots.

God, I'm glad. There was a lot of extra, unnecessary crap in there. Attenuate/Augment [Element] (not necessary, could be combined), [Whatever]tology (species-based attack boost), the individual boosts to individual stats (e.g. Fortify, Spellcraft, Truestrike, Spellstrike, Dodge, etc). Even worse, if I recall correctly, you had to have the correct elemental magic skill equipped to use magic of that element. There's just a lot of unnecessary bloat.

This makes me wonder if we're back to 6 elements (Light, Dark, Water, Wind, Earth, Fire) or if lightning and ice are in again. Lightning had some cool stuff, but ice was pretty awful.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Prowler posted:

This makes me wonder if we're back to 6 elements (Light, Dark, Water, Wind, Earth, Fire) or if lightning and ice are in again. Lightning had some cool stuff, but ice was pretty awful.

Some of the screenshots they've put out have characters with ice and lightning as their innate element, so they're definitely back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

There's a new interview about the remake in Japanese. Some new info that stood out to me:

-The Union level you can see in some screenshots is a level cap that goes up as you progress through the game. It sounds like you can (optionally?) ignore it when you World back to battles you've already completed.
-Training battles are back. Also enemies can sometimes drop consumables that grant EXP? It sounds like they wanted to make it as painless as possible to catch units up level-wise. No word on whether experience is granted for each action or only at the end of battles, unless machine translation butchered that detail somehow.

I don't think per battle or per action will matter as much if training battles are back because you can just throw new and low level characters into training to get them up to speed.

A level cap based on progress is weird, but I guess they don't want to let people just ignore it outright and do the 2 unarmed cleric trick to make a level 50 bulldozer party as soon as you have two heal spells. It'll be curious to see how generous that cap is compared to enemy level.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Leveling individual party members is super annoying. Just have a party level. MC levels up, everyone levels up. Solves class changing and training problems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Naramyth posted:

Leveling individual party members is super annoying. Just have a party level. MC levels up, everyone levels up. Solves class changing and training problems.

Agreed. This is what I would do in the BG games as well... any time a character joins the party, their exp is set to the main character's. Simple.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Not great. I mean you get an actual zombie on your team but he sucks. Neutral was the only playthrough I hadn't completed so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Also Denam is a wishy-washy little bitch on the route. No wonder Arycelle has no time for him.

Law Denam is the only Denam that has an interesting or compelling character arc. He is a completely reactive doormat in both Neutral and Chaos. Especially Neutral though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Naramyth posted:

this sort of thing may be trivial to mod (assuming it's actually annoying anyway)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Oblivious posted:

Law Denam is the only Denam that has an interesting or compelling character arc. He is a completely reactive doormat in both Neutral and Chaos. Especially Neutral though.

Law is the most interesting route by a country mile, best Vyce too.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

Law is the most interesting route by a country mile, best Vyce too.

People always say that and I guess I should really try Law if I get the new version of this game, but I have a strong aversion to agreeing to do war crimes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Item Getter posted:

People always say that and I guess I should really try Law if I get the new version of this game, but I have a strong aversion to agreeing to do war crimes

Ditto. I've done Chaos on SNES (in Japanese) and again on PSX in English so I'd understand more of what was going on, and started Neutral on PSP, but I've never touched Law for exactly that reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can understand calling Denim a static character on some routes but "reactive doormat" seems like a misnomer given some of the reactions in question.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
LEONARD: “put on the uniform and chop grandma’s head off unless you want Gargastan to continue wiping its boots on Walsta like it’s Valeria’s doormat.”

> I’m through being treated like a doormat! I will kill the elderly.

> No; I will not kill the elderly. Walsta IS a doormat, and I am proud to play my part in keeping Branta’s foyer free of unsightly boot-prints.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bonaventure posted:

LEONARD: “put on the uniform and chop grandma’s head off unless you want Gargastan to continue wiping its boots on Walsta like it’s Valeria’s doormat.”

> I’m through being treated like a doormat! I will kill the elderly.

> No; I will not kill the elderly. Walsta IS a doormat, and I am proud to play my part in keeping Branta’s foyer free of unsightly boot-prints.

Truly it is only bootlicks and cowards that have real issues with going only with a resistance movement that already buddied up with the fuckers who put their town to the torch but has decided that the only way to save their people is if they kill them first.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Actually, the only reason anyone should commit war crimes is if there's a cute anime spear waifu to play with afterwards

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Item Getter posted:

That’s the entire point of Law route. Chaos Denam and Neutral Denam mostly just dither around and wait for events to put a solution in their laps. Law Denam has to learn that while yes you do need to proactively seek out solutions, no the ends do not justify the means. At no point does the narrative let him off for war crimes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

That’s the entire point of Law route. Chaos Denam and Neutral Denam mostly just dither around and wait for events to put a solution in their laps. Law Denam has to learn that while yes you do need to proactively seek out solutions, no the ends do not justify the means. At no point does the narrative let him off for war crimes.

I feel like this is another reason TO has aged so well

It was telling a story (stories, really, insanity) that was considerably over the heads of many of its players - but years later it holds up incredibly well for that same reason

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Please marry me Ravness I would commit every crime against humanity for you, at the same time,

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As cool as Ravness is I never found her overly useful.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what I'm saying is I want this to sell millions so Matsuno can team up with YoshiP on ogre battle act 8

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

victrix posted:

what I'm saying is I want this to sell millions so Matsuno can team up with YoshiP on ogre battle act 8

Yeah! At the same time I got the impressions from their collabs that the japanese were not fond of his style of storytelling

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Let Ishikawa write act 8, complete the ffxiv takeover

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Playing Knight of Lodis, one of my units got an Archangel Medal and she meets the stat requirements (HP/MP/STR/AGI/INT/L-Alignment) to become one. I tried to change her to it but there's no option in the class field, so I looked up a guide.

Well, after looking it up, I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm actually supposed to do to make her one. I can't even save scum it because I can't tell if the RNG rolls when she dies or when she's resurrected. :psyduck:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Playing Knight of Lodis, one of my units got an Archangel Medal and she meets the stat requirements (HP/MP/STR/AGI/INT/L-Alignment) to become one. I tried to change her to it but there's no option in the class field, so I looked up a guide.

Well, after looking it up, I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm actually supposed to do to make her one. I can't even save scum it because I can't tell if the RNG rolls when she dies or when she's resurrected. :psyduck:

If it works like it does in original LUCT it's a chance that a unit that meets the requirements will auto-revive as an angel knight when killed in a non training mode battle.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If it works like it does in original LUCT it's a chance that a unit that meets the requirements will auto-revive as an angel knight when killed in a non training mode battle.

I tried save scumming on death again and it worked this time after about ten state loads. How the hell were you supposed to find this out legitimately?

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

I tried save scumming on death again and it worked this time after about ten state loads. How the hell were you supposed to find this out legitimately?

The chance of transformation in LUCT seems pretty high- it took me like 2 tries on the playthrough I'm doing now to get it to happen- and because there's nothing like the emblem requirement pretty much any lawful generic female unit will be eligible by mid-late chapter 3. It wouldn't be preposterous to get one accidentally eventually, and iirc the class description once you have one spells out exactly how it happens.

In Knight of Lodis I guess you're supposed to know how to get one in LUCT and try similar conditions until it works, or just get really lucky with a unit that keeps dying all the time but you decide to drag along anyway for whatever reason.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Chillgamesh posted:

You're supposed to luck into it, just like you're supposed to luck into stuff like the Princess transformation item in Ogre Battle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zurai posted:

You're supposed to luck into it, just like you're supposed to luck into stuff like the Princess transformation item in Ogre Battle.

In other words, they wanted you to buy the drat strategy guide (said the dumb bastard who has a colllection of 100s of them).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Naramyth posted:

This sounds like an even worse version of the PSP leveling system.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

While Ravness wasn't super useful, the other new Law recruit was incredibly powerful.

At least with LUCT, the neutral route let you keep Arycelle, but you do have to actively work to do so since it bottoms out her loyalty. It sounds like they'll be keeping that in the remake. I wish they'd at least give you Leonard on that route so you'd get someone actually useful considering you miss out on a number of other units.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Kagon posted:

While Ravness wasn't super useful, the other new Law recruit was incredibly powerful.

At least with LUCT, the neutral route let you keep Arycelle, but you do have to actively work to do so since it bottoms out her loyalty. It sounds like they'll be keeping that in the remake. I wish they'd at least give you Leonard on that route so you'd get someone actually useful considering you miss out on a number of other units.

"Gee Law Route Denam, how come you get to have two dommy mommies?"

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This sounds like an even worse version of the PSP leveling system.

I’m what world having underleveled classes or characters is actually fun? Grinding in training is just getting things to the same level as your MC with no respect for the players time.

I’d also cut all growths based on being a specific class. Just bake those bonuses into being the actual class.

Also turn off animations

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kagon posted:

Your post reminded me... does the loyalty system in the PSP game serve any useful gameplay purpose? From everything I have seen it is either utterly inconsequential or a massive annoyance that interferes with keeping characters around.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kagon posted:

Sure would be nice if the remaster/remake gets rid of the oversight where if you first do Chaos then Chariot back to Neutral she doesn’t try to leave, speaking of.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Sure would be nice if the remaster/remake gets rid of the oversight where if you first do Chaos then Chariot back to Neutral she doesn’t try to leave, speaking of.

My understanding is that you can keep her as long as you kill her off when she is an npc.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Naramyth posted:

I’m what world having underleveled classes or characters is actually fun? Grinding in training is just getting things to the same level as your MC with no respect for the players time.

I’d also cut all growths based on being a specific class. Just bake those bonuses into being the actual class.

Also turn off animations

Grinding in training is getting things to the same level as your highest-level character. Which isn't always the MC. Also, if you don't want to grind in training, don't.

Individual levels allows you to customize your characters more by leveling them in the classes you want instead of taking some random growth rate. As for removing character growths completely, sorry, that's a poo poo idea. I like that characters who have trained extensively in physical combat classes are better at doing physical damage and worse at doing magical damage. It's both verisimilitude and encourages actually thinking about your characters' builds instead of every character being whatever you want it to be at any given time. It gives choices weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Everyone not being the exact same level isn't a big deal and yeah low level characters catch up pretty fast in PSX Tactics Ogre.

Tying stat games to a class and nothing else is bland as hell.

You're just describing the system the PSP version used, with some arguably worse changes, and they're moving back away from because it was terrible in practice.