Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I like that we are finally at the fireworks factory that was promised almost 2 years ago. I dislike that greater then 10% of the runtime was flashbacks to things that happened in the last episode or literally 30 seconds previously.

My Hero Academia is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Ahhh, poor Twice. Boy, this spurred a lot of arguments when it happened in the manga. How justifiable is it for a hero to kill a villain on purpose? IMO, Hawks was pretty justified - he tried to just arrest Twice and even saved him from Dabi immolating both of them (because Dabi is a moron) but realistically, Twice is just too dangerous to risk him getting away. If the only way you can stop him from joining the fight is by putting a sword through his skull then, well. You do what you gotta do, Hawks.

Yeah, you can pity Twice but there is no justified reason to criticize Hawks for his actions here. I teared up but he chose the wrong side and then refused to accept he fought for the wrong side, even when he was offered the chance to redeem himself.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Didn’t hawks kill Jeanist? Dudes a villain just as much as twice

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RIP a bunch of generic hero goons. For a second there I thought they were going to have the balls to kill Mic, the doctor, and fast old man. That would have been wild. But no.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Goodbye characters introduced this arc with no individual arcs that would be cut unsatisfying short by their deaths. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We had met Crust before.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Why would you name yourself after the worst part of a sandwich?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

We had met Crust before.

But did we remember Crust before?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You had one job, X-less :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This could've been avoided if laser eyes just zapped Shigaraki before he got up or just after rather than being all shocked.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
crust had an incredible amount of composure

Electric Phantasm posted:

You had one job, X-less :mad:

yeah, you have to wonder how he's going to get written up in the history books

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

History books will be X-Less-less

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Yeah yeah, whatever Shigaraki's got a bunch of narratively convenient asspull powers now, yawn I want to know more about Funkman and the dude whose head is just a gun.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
last episode was p cool but now shigaraki just getting a million powers made it uninteresting

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Shigaraki getting more powers is fine since that’s what AFO is all about but Shiggy doesn’t have the scenery chewing monologues like AFO does to make it work. the shifting of what Decay is able to do is also stupid

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Fellas, he can aim where he shoots his decay powers. You know this. Why would he kill Nomus? Cmon.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RIP Funkman

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

RIP Funkman

In the end, they did stop the funk.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the day the music died

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So nobody mentioned one of the biggest dangling plot threads - the Quirk-erasing bullets Shigaraki stole from Overhaul - being conveniently wrapped up in one fell swoop. Almost an afterthought. Is there only like one left right now?

But yeah, pretty hype episode. All the big name villains are finally on the move so we're gonna see some real action! ...next week. I'm excited but gently caress, a whole other week before it really begins. Oh well, I guess it's good storytelling.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

So nobody mentioned one of the biggest dangling plot threads - the Quirk-erasing bullets Shigaraki stole from Overhaul - being conveniently wrapped up in one fell swoop. Almost an afterthought. Is there only like one left right now?

The quirk-removing bullets mostly seem like ways to take a character fighting Shiggy out of the story without explicitly killing them, so I guess Hori decided he couldn't do that and had to keep everyone he could around to fight.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 14, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the quirk erasing bullets being wrapped up with no fanfare is just another way for shirgaraki to twist the knife and drive home what a chump overhaul was

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Sumo (Japanese: 相撲, Hepburn: sumō, [sɯmoː], lit. "striking one another")[1] is a form of competitive full-contact wrestling where a rikishi (wrestler) attempts to force his opponent out of a circular ring (dohyō) or into touching the ground with any body part other than the soles of his feet (usually by throwing, shoving or pushing him down).

Sumo originated in Japan, the only country where it is practiced professionally and where it is considered the national sport.[2] It is considered a gendai budō, which refers to modern Japanese martial arts, but the sport has a history spanning many centuries. Many ancient traditions have been preserved in sumo, and even today the sport includes many ritual elements, such as the use of salt purification, from Shinto.

Life as a wrestler is highly regimented, with rules regulated by the Japan Sumo Association. Most sumo wrestlers are required to live in communal sumo training stables, known in Japanese as heya, where all aspects of their daily lives—from meals to their manner of dress—are dictated by strict tradition.

From 2008 to 2016, a number of high-profile controversies and scandals rocked the sumo world, with an associated effect on its reputation and ticket sales. These have also affected the sport's ability to attract recruits.[3] Despite this setback, sumo's popularity and general attendance has rebounded due to having multiple yokozuna (or grand champions) for the first time in a number of years and other high-profile wrestlers grabbing the public's attention.[4]

The spoken word sumō goes back to the verb sumau/sumafu, meaning 'compete' or 'fight'. The written word goes back to the expression sumai no sechi (相撲の節), which was a wrestling competition at the imperial court during the Heian period. The characters from sumai, or sumō today, mean 'to strike each other'. There is also an alternate spelling of 角力, which can be found in the Nihon Shoki.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
???

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Delphisage posted:

Flesnolk is being ridiculous.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like Shiggy could Decay these fools when he's getting punched. The heroes are blocking Eraser's sight while doing so, yeah? Especially with those huge flames shooting out.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Deku disgraced an entire state pulling out all the stops for such in inscrutably bad blow despite his position and everything else simultaneously happening---it serious took Shigaraki being the one to do a bit of the obvious with Gran Torino?

I really don't understand the fight choreography the show has arrived at...generally a fan of unhinged chaos, but this is just ???

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The fight with all the students against Colossal Titan was cool but all the stuff with Shiguraki feels like bullshit DBZ fighting with the villain no selling everything until Goku shows up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This season is going to be perfect when it's finished. Every episode leaves me on the edge of my seat for more. But it's like, as intense as it was to have Shiggy going after Deku, I'm so excited to see Gigantomachia in action against the side characters. They've all shone so much in this season.

So when I can just sit back and watch all of this in a row, it'll be the best.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
the gigantomachia parts were pretty good

the shigaraki parts were less good. im not sure how they can justify deku presumably beating shigaraki with all of his quicks active at some point in the future if he can't even stop him, with his quirks inactive and half dead, with one for all at 100%.

the suspension of belief is too much for me right now but i guess i'll see whatever the bullshit is

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How will [anime protagonist] possibly beat [overpowered villain]

The answer is always that the anime protagonist pulls something out of their butt at the last moment and wins the day

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The answer is always that the anime protagonist pulls something out of their butt at the last moment and wins the day

sometimes you just get their mom to make them stop being bad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They need a cannabis-powered hero whose ability is to make people, like, just chill out dude

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They need a cannabis-powered hero whose ability is to make people, like, just chill out dude

that's midnight's power

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Sometimes they actually set things up well. And sometimes, even more rarely, the hero loses and dies, and the story moves on.

I mean, in this episode we had the heroes beat an overpowered villain through group tactics and planning, in addition to old fashioned gumption.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kild posted:

that's midnight's power

She doesn't have marijuana powers, she has rohypnol powers

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kild posted:

that's midnight's power

Midnight's power is being a sexual predator.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Zzulu posted:

sure, of course. it's just they spent 4? 5? episodes setting up how scary shigaraki is and they need a billion heros including the one who can deactivate all his powers just to barely be able to hurt him and now ??? suddenly deku at 100% does absolutely nothing to him

idk the pacing is just really off

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As a manga-only now I checked out the anime version of this fight and it looks like they really hosed up and censored Deku's 100% Wyoming Smash. Just a weakass shockwave and not even any blood. In the manga it looks like this:

And Shiggy doesn't just shrug it off, Deku is almost ripping his jaw off:

So it's not that Deku's 100% did nothing, the anime just made it look weak as gently caress for some reason. I know it can be annoying to compare the anime to the manga but seriously, this is a major fight scene. I just hope they don't drop the ball on the next part of the fight because it's probably my favorite section in the whole series.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All they really need to do is go get that guy from the OVA before this series who can make anyone laugh so much they can't move by looking at them and Shigaraki would be no problem at all.