Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Actually Vancouver getting Bedard would be great because it would actually make me happy and optimistic about this dumb team for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like when the Flyers are good, because even when they're good they're still really bad. They're chaos and that's what we need.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Flyers are by a considerable margin the best place for Bedard to end up. McDavid being in Edmonton was a huge detriment to the league. I'd like a young, exciting superstar to be in a big east coast market. It would be tons of fun to see the Flyers be truly relevant again.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Flyers are by a considerable margin the best place for Bedard to end up. McDavid being in Edmonton was a huge detriment to the league. I'd like a young, exciting superstar to be in a big east coast market. It would be tons of fun to see the Flyers be truly relevant again.

Have you considered that John Totorella would be his coach

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

pseudodragon posted:

Calgary dropping and getting him would be pretty funny for the Battle of the Connors.

agreed, Calgary needs a connor....

Sutter would pair him with Lucic.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Koopa Kid posted:

Have you considered that John Totorella would be his coach

Ohhhh baby... Think of the sound bites when Connor had a great offensive game but only had 1 shot block.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm conflicted about generational talent. I mostly have to go to YouTube to see Connor sicknasty plays which is a bummer, but on the plus side he rarely burns my team.

I guess since the Caps are going to stink soon anyway, I'd rather see him be good in the East. The current crop of Hart candidates in the Eastern Conference isn't going to challenge McD: Kucherov, Tage, Pasta... Weirdly Crosby has decent Vegas odds for the Hart too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1610350730061254658

what the hell

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Detroit put Jakub Vrana on waivers.

That sucks, I can only assume it's due to some bad off-ice issues he's still dealing with.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

So Detroit put Jakub Vrana on waivers.

That sucks, I can only assume it's due to some bad off-ice issues he's still dealing with.

Wow. Did any Red Wings sickos watch him play in his conditioning games?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well that's unexpected.

He has a pretty big contract though. I don't think there are many teams that could actually claim him, and those that could are trying to tank for Bedard.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 3, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I was sort of assuming he had caught the Kuzy taste for cocaine, but he must be up to some worse poo poo than that.

Only one year left on his contract.

e: I still really don't like Mantha but I guess we won that trade after all.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 3, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Detroit is in a weird situation roster-wise, in that they have 4 wingers (Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, and Zadina) returning all around the same time, and while they called up Jonatan Berggren as a replacement, he's playing too well to be sent back down. On top of that, They grabbed Magnus Hellberg off of waivers and he's been outplaying Nedejkovic for the backup job, so for the time being they're also carrying 3 goalies.

I guess Yzerman is banking on no one claiming $11 million over the next two years for a guy fresh out of PAP?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Vrana may very well clear and be sent down. Seems like coaches really dislike him.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Vrana may very well clear and be sent down. Seems like coaches really dislike him.

He made Laviolette’s poo poo list too, that’s why he was traded. Hope he gets whatever help he needs and gets back on the ice, he’d be good for several teams. Just maybe not at his current cost, I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Speaking of coaches disliking players I'm starting to sour a bit on Sullivan. I think he's a great coach but his player usage this year has been quite subpar and is hurting the team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Which player(s) should he be using more?

Obviously Dumo and Carter are washed up but we can't know if Sullivan's hands are tied in terms of continuing to play them, and also they have no cap space and no prospects worth mentioning.

Sullivan's obsession with veterans is problematic but a lot of the Pens' lack of talent and youth is on JR and Burke.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which player(s) should he be using more?

Obviously Dumo and Carter are washed up but we can't know if Sullivan's hands are tied in terms of continuing to play them, and also they have no cap space and no prospects worth mentioning.

Sullivan's obsession with veterans is problematic but a lot of the Pens' lack of talent and youth is on JR and Burke.

POJ should be used more. Dumo and Carter less. DOC should be used more. Probably Kapanen used more as well. Probably never should have done a Rutta-Dumoulin pairing, but went with that for too long. Carter at 3c for way too long and also deployed as a shutdown center despite him being anything but.

Sullivan also went a maddeningly long time sticking with GCR even when they were sucking and despite GCRakell putting up great results earlier in the year. He's now gone back to GCR now that they've started to lose games.

Not a huge fan of his deployments this year. I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's good or even great. But his player usage this year leaves much to be desired.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Agreed with all of the above including Kapanen's ice time. Sullivan has been relying on 3 lines for nearly a week now. Rust played the most of any Penguin last night. Also I think Todd Reirden should be demoted to WBS and someone else take his place.

Sullivan aside though I think Hextall needs to do something. Sullivan can't keep playing Dumoulin if he isn't there. So, for me, some of the team issues can be laid at the feet of management.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

Detroit is in a weird situation roster-wise, in that they have 4 wingers (Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, and Zadina) returning all around the same time, and while they called up Jonatan Berggren as a replacement, he's playing too well to be sent back down. On top of that, They grabbed Magnus Hellberg off of waivers and he's been outplaying Nedejkovic for the backup job, so for the time being they're also carrying 3 goalies.

This is all accurate but it doesn't make this situation any less weird. A functional Vrana is probably the best goal scorer on the Red Wings. Waiving him is bonkers on the surface when you can waive Erne or Ned first. Soderblom had played well too, but he could go back to Grand Rapids and not get his development messed up. And you'd have to imagine he has trade value, because again, great shot.

There's definitely something we don't know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Agreed with all of the above including Kapanen's ice time. Sullivan has been relying on 3 lines for nearly a week now. Rust played the most of any Penguin last night. Also I think Todd Reirden should be demoted to WBS and someone else take his place.

Sullivan aside though I think Hextall needs to do something. Sullivan can't keep playing Dumoulin if he isn't there. So, for me, some of the team issues can be laid at the feet of management.

Yes let's continue with the pleasant fantasy that Hextall and not Burke is making the moves. I'm sure taking the oldest team in the league and loading up even more heavily on old slow guys was 100% Hextall's idea.

As much as I would love to see the Moneyball scene re-enacted with Sullivan saying "Well, I am playing him 25 minutes tonight" and Burkestall staying "I don't think so... he plays for Detroit now" Dumo gets to block trades to 10 teams and there may not be one among the other 21 dumb enough to take Dumo's remains (:rip: Dumo, you were cool and good) without the Pens coughing up significant draft capital. That's even if we're pretending the team isn't run by Brian loving Burke who is not in a bazillion years going to trade a Proven Veteran to open up more ice time for a fresh faced youngster.

I think ownership will clean house after they miss the playoffs or get swept by the Bruins (as I said last page I think) and that'll probably include an amicable divorce with Sullivan. After that, who knows. They're not going to blow it up as long as Sid's there but I don't think they're going to sit on their hands anymore with the team sinking.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This is all accurate but it doesn't make this situation any less weird. A functional Vrana is probably the best goal scorer on the Red Wings. Waiving him is bonkers on the surface when you can waive Erne or Ned first. Soderblom had played well too, but he could go back to Grand Rapids and not get his development messed up. And you'd have to imagine he has trade value, because again, great shot.

There's definitely something we don't know.

Probably true, but it doesn't necessarily have to be any more complicated than Erne or Ned would probably be claimed and Vrana probably won't be. (And I'd be shocked if he had any trade value at his cap number.) If he isn't they can stash him in the minors in case of injuries and then probably buy him out this summer.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 4, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I have a feeling they just don't want to make those kind of hard decisions. Dumoulin is probably well liked in the locker room so even though the team would be better off without him the most they'll do is reduce his usage and then not re-sign him in the off season.

If he's being regularly used in the playoffs (if they even get there) it will really hurt their chances though

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Re: Vrana, the athletic hockey show podcast had an interview with chris therein on december 20th talking about his time in hockey and his struggles with substance abuse. Near the end he was talking about the player assistance program, and lamented that a player who had just gotten out of the program had essentially told him that after you exit the support completely ends. basically tell you to go to meetings and that's that
given the timing, it was almost certainly vrana he was talking about.
just interesting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage Thompson scored three goals to honor Damar Hamlin.

He’s scored 30 goals and 3 hat tricks and it’s Jan 3rd lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tage Thompson scored three goals to honor Damar Hamlin.

He’s scored 30 goals and 3 hat tricks and it’s Jan 3rd lmao

I was wrong about Tage Thompson and his very good contract

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was wrong about Tage Thompson and his very good contract

I do not at all understand how I am wrong, but yes I was wrong also.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was not wrong about Tage Thompson, but only because I had only the dimmest awareness of who Tage Thompson was before three months ago.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think Tage is this good. But he is certainly very good. Probably a safe bet for 40 goals and 80+ points per year for most of that contract, which is excellent.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1610463085227315202

I immediately thought of the time two pairs of Leafs collided with each other, leaving just one skater standing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubV_tKfkUI#t=5s

... but I could swear there was another incident in the mid-late 00s?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1610463085227315202

I immediately thought of the time two pairs of Leafs collided with each other, leaving just one skater standing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubV_tKfkUI#t=5s

... but I could swear there was another incident in the mid-late 00s?

With all apologies to my Canuck friends, this is the go-to moment for teammates colliding in the NHL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsG4i8kadw

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/Mcbearcat7557/status/1610475350529540096

This sounds fake but I’ll take it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Habs lose, Caufield scores, the tank is working beautifully

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://www.nhl.com/video/zibanejad-scores-ppg/t-336123538/c-14527948

Hot mic moment. Sounds like "sticks across the fuckin chest...stop fuckin yellin"? maybe a ref/linesman saying it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yikes that Florida line

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think Tage is this good. But he is certainly very good. Probably a safe bet for 40 goals and 80+ points per year for most of that contract, which is excellent.

He's got a fantastic shot, is big, and does sicknasty dangles to create for himself. Not sure what part of that would be unsustainable. I guess if at some point the team decided they cared about defense it might put a damper on things.

That was a really fun game and I was happy the Caps got away with a point. I still think Buffalo is challenging for WC2 easily.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

He's got a fantastic shot, is big, and does sicknasty dangles to create for himself. Not sure what part of that would be unsustainable. I guess if at some point the team decided they cared about defense it might put a damper on things.

That was a really fun game and I was happy the Caps got away with a point. I still think Buffalo is challenging for WC2 easily.

I just mean I'd be shocked if he shot 18% or whatever forever, if teams don't key in on him a bit more, etc. He's definitely going to have a big season, but he's on pace to score like 60 goals and 100+ points and I don't think he's going to score that much every year, because very few players do. Especially that many goals.

Edit: he's actually shooting 19% right now which is almost definitely not sustainable. Most of the best shooters are around 15-16% which doesn't sound like a huge difference but if he was shooting that he'd "only" have 23-25 goals right now.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 4, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Draisaitl has shot 20% over his last 4 or so seasons so it can be done.

Edit: Actually this season's 17.6% has dragged him all the way down to 19.7% over his last 326 games (since 2018-19)

Second edit: There are quite a few players that stick above 17% over the last 5 seasons (Schiefele and Point are another couple I always remember that are pushing 18% over that time, I'm sure there's others.)

Its definitely possible to shoot a higher % than is commonly thought as "sustainable". The tricky thing is that volume shooters generally don't shoot a high %, and Tage shoots A LOT, which is one of the reasons I thought the deal he signed was probably decent since his shooting % needed to fall under 10% for him not to be scoring 25 goals a season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 4, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's hard to know whether or not players can sustain huge breakout seasons because teams start watching the tape and planning around the player.

To me, his size is a major asset, and I think the person who said 40 goals and 80 points can be penciled in as regular production is pretty spot on, with maybe a couple of 90 pt seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya he only needs to shoot 13% over 300ish shots to score 40 (and he's on pace for 360 shots this season).