Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I’m on a bus right now. So far, nobody is wanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

bitterandtwisted posted:

I’m on a bus right now. So far, nobody is wanking.

be the change you wish to see

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Does Wizard Master always start a thread on controversial topics then never get involved in the debate? Is this how he gains his powers, by starting threads to no where and watching us spin in circles, meanwhile in the background he's planning his next move? Is he a derail vampire? Are we slowly having our life force drained from us by this so called "Wizard Master" everytime we engage in a meaningless debate?

code:
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I                     E
Z                     T
A                     S
R                     A
D                     M
M                     D
A                     R
S                     A
T                     Z
E                     I
R E T S A M D R A Z I W
only watches from his wizard tower, lolling

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

My god, it's like the phrase "settle down beavis" writ flesh

*A black cloud of shame forms over you as we progressively roll this piece of poo poo state back to the industrial pollution levels of 1930s Pittsburgh while we all choke on the ashes of our feverish ecowarrior hindsight* :hb:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

woah wow what a wizard master truly playing us like fools fuckin essay questions on a high school civics test bull poo poo bog poo poo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0m0hTrtlWM

Hmm.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

wizard master is an AI training itself on bad gbs threads

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I should tell you about how to break a car down for demolition derby. Have a proper tool set !

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't mind riding the bus if it's an option but most places I have lived it hasn't been. A lot of places are just set up assuming you have a car at this point. It would take a lot to change that. I did buy an electric car so I'm attempting to do something but from what I understand the bulk of pollution comes from big companies and not individual people so some people say electric cars are pretty pointless because of that. I don't know, it helps my peace of mind knowing I'm not contributing as much to pollution. Plus I don't have to do smog tests anymore, suck it california!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Panzeh posted:

Also in a broad sense I think the car-centric development of the US is portrayed in conspiratorial tones when it's way more just, the US was much more motorized than any other part of the world since the dawn of the automobile, and cheap, highly available land made development patterns very different from Europe. Once these developments were made, well, it's just not really possible to change course.

On the other hand, the federal highway system combined with the urban renewal movement was weaponized against black people and used to literally flatten neighbourhoods and destroy minority owned businesses. Not sure what else to call that aside from conspiratorial.

And its also entirely possible to change course.

Look at I-375 in Detroit. Its a mile long highway to nowhere. It's construction flattened a once thriving commercial hub, "black bottom", and bisected downtown.

Now, Detroit, a city with zero money, is planning on filling this freeway and creating more inner city urban land.

More and more downtown entertainment areas are opting for pedestrian only modes on weekends. Placemaking efforts are transforming alleyways, etc.

Also, BRT systems can be as comfortable and fast as trains with dedicated lanes without needing as much trunk infrastructure.

So, again, it's entirely possible to change course the US is just completely controlled by private interest and any conversation involving public good is shot out of the air by many guns.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ban OP

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

My city put up bike lanes with little barriers to separate them from the cars and now ambulances cant get down the street because cars cant pull into the shoulder anymore.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Poohs Packin posted:

On the other hand, the federal highway system combined with the urban renewal movement was weaponized against black people and used to literally flatten neighbourhoods and destroy minority owned businesses. Not sure what else to call that aside from conspiratorial.

And its also entirely possible to change course.

Look at I-375 in Detroit. Its a mile long highway to nowhere. It's construction flattened a once thriving commercial hub, "black bottom", and bisected downtown.

Now, Detroit, a city with zero money, is planning on filling this freeway and creating more inner city urban land.

More and more downtown entertainment areas are opting for pedestrian only modes on weekends. Placemaking efforts are transforming alleyways, etc.

Also, BRT systems can be as comfortable and fast as trains with dedicated lanes without needing as much trunk infrastructure.

So, again, it's entirely possible to change course the US is just completely controlled by private interest and any conversation involving public good is shot out of the air by many guns.

say it with me, friends...

:capitalism:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Poohs Packin posted:

That, and General Motors (with support from other auto adjacent companies like Firestone Tires and Standard Oil) bought up public transport systems in the 30s and 40s specifically, so it could destroy them. There was a Disney movie about this in the 80s. Modern American car culture happened i large part because there was a deliberate effort to make sure people didn't have the option of not being dependent on automobiles.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don'r remind me of back-end Volkwagen.I was confronted by a sherrif on it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

That, and General Motors (with support from other auto adjacent companies like Firestone Tires and Standard Oil) bought up public transport systems in the 30s and 40s specifically, so it could destroy them. There was a Disney movie about this in the 80s. Modern American car culture happened i large part because there was a deliberate effort to make sure people didn't have the option of not being dependent on automobiles.

Like Detroit, Toon Town was bisected by a freeway but unlike Detroit there are no plans to fill in the freeway to nowhere with urban land, sadly.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Poohs Packin posted:

you dont need a conspiracy to explain why weird technocrats, mostly white men, were lovely and perpetuated discrimination against african americans in the early to mid 20th century

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

none of this is true but it sounds good online so people keep saying it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you dont need a conspiracy to explain why weird technocrats, mostly white men, were lovely and perpetuated discrimination against african americans in the early to mid 20th century

none of this is true but it sounds good online so people keep saying it

general motors and firestone were literally convicted of conspiracy in 1949. it's a matter of public record, not a theory or something that people just talk about online.

there are many places where you can still see remnants of old street car systems. i remember seeing some tracks dug up in pittsburgh during a construction project, and in brooklyn the old streetcar rails sometimes show through the asphalt on the roads when it gets worn down enough

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 14, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
you see here, america would never have adopted the automobile as its primary form of transportation if someone hadn't destroyed streetcars, which is why... oh wait, what's that, you're saying we were already the automobile country in the 1930s? whoa

if the US was going to be anything but that, we would have needed to take fairly strict control of land use a long time ago because otherwise the cheap land, cheap cars, and cheap gas was going to lead to this

Earwicker posted:

general motors and firestone were literally convicted of conspiracy in 1949. it's a matter of public record, not a theory or something that people just talk about online.

these were antitrust convictions- the companies they bought were themselves monopolistic and highly dependent on arrangements based on their monopolistic power

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

i dont know if this is related but i think it is a sad indicator of These Times that some people said "hey it would be cool if all the stuff you needed was within a short walking distance of where you live" and then a part of the public response was turned into "government is going to literally prevent you from going more than 15 minutes away from your home" because everything is a conspiracy now

this isn't new though, this is an exact rehash of the Agenda 21 conspiracy theory freakout back at the turn of the willenium

the UN had a document for an agenda for the 21st century, hence Agenda 21, and it was just a vague wish list and guide for stuff like "it would be cool if people did more walkable cities and used less cars". really anodyne, common sense stuff. the "15-minute cities" discussion is just a repackaging of the same kind of ideas that go back decades, just framed in terms of walking a short distance to get anywhere. and the same weird assholes are reading this as some kind of looming (((globalist))) threat to force everyone to live in boxes and eat gruel or whatever the gently caress

Earwicker posted:

there are many places where you can still see remnants of old street car systems. i remember seeing some tracks dug up in pittsburgh during a construction project, and in brooklyn the old streetcar rails sometimes show through the asphalt on the roads when it gets worn down enough

they were convicted of conspiracy of steering the systems they owned towards purchasing GM vehicles, particularly diesel buses and trackless trolleys. this is way, way more boring than the idea that GM dismantled streetcars. people prefer the exciting, non-factual conspiracy to the very boring and very real conspiracy, because it very neatly explains why we don't have streetcars anymore - the capitalist bastards killed them

not a single bit of this argument is true though. streetcar systems in the united states were universally for-profit systems built by speculators until a wave of government takeovers in the mid 20th century because streetcar systems were universally failing or being converted. less than 10% of streetcar systems had anything to do with GM/ACL/NCL or any subsidiaries at the time they failed. pretty much every streetcar system fell to pieces though outside of a few exceptions. imo a conspiracy theory that explains less than 10% of why something happened is a pretty unworkable theory

these systems were not government run, there was basically no concept of government-run public transit in american cities in the early 20th century. NYC pioneered such things through the consolidation of multiple for-profit, privately owned subway lines in the early 20th century. this process happened as industrializing cities realized that truly publicly run transit systems were actually pretty critical to have. but these systems mostly died due to a combination of excessive competition from rising automobile ownership as well as popular government restrictions on fare caps clamping streetcar profits to the point of insolvency. it's not a surprise that the heydey of streetcars in america is the 40 years before widespread automobile ownership, and streetcars decline as more people drive cars

i hate to say it but this argument has legs online because the truth is shockingly boring and so people naturally drift towards the more interesting conspiracy theory that is more relevant to our modern world, regardless of whether or not it has any factual support behind it (it does not)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 14, 2023

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rxThjYWsE

klniow and learn about ther MAch %.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Cars suck and having to use one to get to work and get groceries and deal with other basic needs sucks but we've never invested more than a token consolation prize amount into infrastructure to move away from car-centric cities and towns.

I live in the rear end end of nowhere and so even on a bicycle with one of those baby carriers for hauling stuff there's no way I could get groceries and return home before the sun sets if I needed to go get something from the store after work because the nearest store is miles and miles away from me.
Instead I can drive and be there and back in about an hour. Suburban sprawl and, to a degree, rural spread really demands infrastructure spending that Americans simply don't have the stomach for if we wanted to move away from needing cars. Like it or not cars are basically necessary in this country.

The folks that are the loudest against cars seem like over privileged, rich (but I repeat myself), city folk to me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

this isn't new though, this is an exact rehash of the Agenda 21 conspiracy theory freakout back at the turn of the willenium

the UN had a document for an agenda for the 21st century, hence Agenda 21, and it was just a vague wish list and guide for stuff like "it would be cool if people did more walkable cities and used less cars". really anodyne, common sense stuff. the "15-minute cities" discussion is just a repackaging of the same kind of ideas that go back decades, just framed in terms of walking a short distance to get anywhere. and the same weird assholes are reading this as some kind of looming (((globalist))) threat to force everyone to live in boxes and eat gruel or whatever the gently caress

people are really stupid yeah, lol, the rich already can afford to live in new urbanist places which are in fact developed, even in the US, it's just they're expensive, probably because they're attractive to people with a lot of money

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and the same weird assholes are reading this as some kind of looming (((globalist))) threat to force everyone to live in boxes and eat gruel or whatever the gently caress

before covid it seemed like a lot of those same weird assholes wanted to live in survivalist bunkers underground where everything was less than a 5 minute walk away, let alone 15. but now they need to go to a walmart on the other side of town

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The once diverse and thriving neighbourhoods of toon town were razed by anthropomorphic evil bulldozers owned by a faceless man who only ever appears as a pair of tuxedo pants and shiny black shoes. Its former denizens forced to live in residential towers.

Notable residents include Killa from DBZ, The Crows from Dumbo, and King Louie from The Jungle Book.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgrKDBHlgo

Bumblebee, no!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Savage For The Winjun posted:

My city put up bike lanes with little barriers to separate them from the cars and now ambulances cant get down the street because cars cant pull into the shoulder anymore.

Sounds like you need to ban nonessential cars from the emergency access routes

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don;t think you ever raced your own engine.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chainchompz posted:

Cars suck and having to use one to get to work and get groceries and deal with other basic needs sucks but we've never invested more than a token consolation prize amount into infrastructure to move away from car-centric cities and towns.

there's a lot of progress being made! many developers are aware and have been aware for decades now that there is demand for well planned, walkable residential development. since the year 2000, a lot of american cities have greatly expanded their light rail networks - dallas, texas has gone from having pretty much no transit to speak of to being the largest light rail operator in north america. these places are being built and they're good!

e: i looked it up and los angeles juuuust squeezed out dallas in terms of light rail network length

the main problem is that it is way easier and cheaper to do lazy, car-based development. it doesn't take nearly as much time or effort to buy a plot of land, subdivide it, and just hook it into the road network vs. doing mixed retail 5-over-1s in a transit adjacent development or something. places where walkability is an inherent part of the design tend to be highly desirable, and thus expensive, and thus it seems like it's all just playgrounds for rich people

people often mistake car-based development as being something that was done nefariously or deliberately, to gently caress with people or exploit them or whatever. there are a lot of legal prerequisites for this kind of development, like how the FHA created and enforced new standards of exclusionary zoning as part of mortgage guaranty standards and thus gave birth to american suburban sprawl as we know it. however, the major factor is this - automotive-based sprawl is way, way easier and cheaper to build than anything else, and human nature being what it is, if something is easy and cheap to make, you're going to get more of that thing than things that are more difficult and expensive to make

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 14, 2023

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Astrochicken posted:

I live in houston, a city made for cars. Once they gain sentience rumor is the local human population will die off.

I've driven there, and it was always a nightmare

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Some jackass gave me the finger yesterday because she didn't yield

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Is Rat Fink a part of car culture? I kind of like Rat Fink.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Public transit users are mostly free loaders who aren't paying fuel tax or vehicle insurance or auto licensing.

If everyone did that the whole system would collapse.

Same with cyclists. Literally paying nothing for the roads they use.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Methanar posted:

Public transit users are mostly free loaders who aren't paying fuel tax or vehicle insurance or auto licensing.

As someone who's obsessed with (not paying) taxes, you sure know gently caress all about how roads are funded.

I bet you think it's car owners that pay for most of it, don't you?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Methanar posted:

One weird trick town tax collectors don’t want you to know

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Poohs Packin posted:

pretty funny as someone who's been involved in urban planning for over a decade, to see insane conspiracy theorists decry the "15 minute city" as a method for totalitarian social control. These people will glom on to pretty much anything.

even funnier when you realise the people that designed the car centric cities were actual authoritarian maniacs

in conclusion reddit sucks?

100 years of the entire western world marketing cars as not just a but the symbol and guarantor of freedom is a hell of a drug.

E: also right wingers nowadays believe that essentially all forms of expertise, planning, or institutions are 100% evil and society should be abolished in favor of totally mercenary and contractual relations between atomized invidiuals and patriarchal family units. They trust absolutely nobody and cannot cooperate with anyone.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2023

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

olives black posted:

say it with me, friends...

:capitalism:

ah yes the three gorges dam was textbook capitalism...

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Woolie Wool posted:

100 years of the entire western world marketing cars as not just a but the symbol and guarantor of freedom is a hell of a drug.

They are guarantors of freedom, that and more! They’re glorious, and open up our majestic nation to exploration by the lowest common denominator. Travel expands your horizons mentally in a way that can’t be replicated, enriching us all. We should continue continue developing zero-emissions vehicles is what I’m saying, taking a train ain’t the same. You can’t see a roadside carnival museum or Bonnie & Clyde’s Deathcar or the property of a weirdo who’s decorated the grounds entirely in decapitated baby dolls in a train.

I would just be very, very sad if 2000+ mile roadtrips disappeared.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Driving in this stupid country would be better if cops and pick up trucks didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

counterpoint: tourism and enrichment are a sin and anyone who leaves tyheir home town is going to HELL