Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Have you guys heard about this? Apparently there's been a growing movement in online communities in backlash to the harmful effects of car dominance on communities, environment, safety, and public health. These movements supposedly aspire towards more sustainable and effective alternatives like mass transit and improved pedestrian and cycling infrastructure. This is due to both the effects of pollution - cars are responsible for a significant amount of global emissions - but also dying urban centres and a lack of "walkable cities". It's interesting to note that the popular subreddit r/fuckcars has nearly a quarter of a million subscribers. What are your thoughts? Is there too much of a reliance on "car culture" in society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I don't think any proper wizard should own a car.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Discount pencilhands

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

If I was a
code:
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I                     E
Z                     T
A                     S
R                     A
D                     M
M                     D
A                     R
S                     A
T                     Z
E                     I
R E T S A M D R A Z I W
I would probably not own a car because I would not need to leave my sweet wizard castle, and thusly would not contemplate on such topics

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I wish I had a wizard castle that was so insulated from normal human life I could make topics like this all day trying to understand non-magical humans without any real risk. That'd be nice. But instead I got hosed up retinas and the future of brain surgery isn't here to help me out that way, so I'm stuck hoping that people maybe agree it'd be cool to put cities together a little differently so that walking was cool and good again or at least that public transit shouldn't be looked at as a last resort mode of transportation.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

cars own, especially crew cab pick up trucks. im making GBS threads right now actually so im going to finish this post later

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

Have you guys heard about this? Apparently there's been a growing movement in online communities in backlash to the harmful effects of car dominance on communities, environment, safety, and public health. These movements supposedly aspire towards more sustainable and effective alternatives like mass transit and improved pedestrian and cycling infrastructure. This is due to both the effects of pollution - cars are responsible for a significant amount of global emissions - but also dying urban centres and a lack of "walkable cities". It's interesting to note that the popular subreddit r/fuckcars has nearly a quarter of a million subscribers. What are your thoughts? Is there too much of a reliance on "car culture" in society?

They're right.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigBadSteve posted:

They're right.

close topic

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A good place to learn about this is the PYF memes thread which has an anti car derail every three pages or so.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I've never owned a car and it's awesome, but like everything extremely online a lot of "Urbanism" people are obsessive weirdos and the ones local to me just focus on really stupid "traffic calming" projects that involve bike lanes nobody ever uses. It seems like a lot of people who were really phobic about covid latched onto pickup trucks and "don't walk" signs recently.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Penhands

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It's just what happens when a minority gets to pretend its not a minority on twitter

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
what the gently caress is a "car"

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My car can suck your cars dick

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I have a car culture in my dilz does anyone have any antibiotics

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wipe some WD40 on it should be good to go

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cars are cool and fun bu the sprawl where you have to drive for everything is a nightmare. I love being able to walk to work or the grocery.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pretty funny as someone who's been involved in urban planning for over a decade, to see insane conspiracy theorists decry the "15 minute city" as a method for totalitarian social control. These people will glom on to pretty much anything.

even funnier when you realise the people that designed the car centric cities were actual authoritarian maniacs

in conclusion reddit sucks?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m not sure if this is the hippie rear end bullshit you are talking about op but there’s a huge culture around here where people spend all day tooling up their cars with hot wrenches and then they take them out to drive and blow out all the heads and gaskets to impress all the other car people with how loud that poo poo was. People trash literally thousands of cars every day and then go buy ones the next day and use every tool at their disposal to crack the engine block, and I think the name of the game is to have the loudest blowout. Some guys went out and painted tire tracks on one of the stone roads out here and everyone is super impressed and proud of them. Anyways I guess this is anti car culture, but I mean guess people can afford a new car every week or whatever. Obamanomics I guess. :shrug:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pretty crazy there is an entire group of people who would choose to literally let their lives slip away sitting in traffic than let the libtards build a grocery store within walking distance of their home.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i have a liquor store in walking distance of my house

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
its not a very nice one though. not gentrified at all

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
What is less morally objectionable: a wizard car powered by an imprisoned demon, or a wizard car powered by the tears of a unicorn (tears of sadness/suffering, not joy)?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

What is less morally objectionable: a wizard car powered by an imprisoned demon, or a wizard car powered by the tears of a unicorn (tears of sadness/suffering, not joy)?

What about a wizard castle powered by the bones of wizard cars and the souls of imprisoned demon unicorns

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

What about a wizard castle powered by the bones of wizard cars and the souls of imprisoned demon unicorns

Finally, a way to turn Teslas into safe and reliable transportation.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Really wish I could use marquee text for WIZARD MASTER :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrQwerty posted:

I can hook u up. :hmmyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Really wish I could use marquee text for WIZARD MASTER :(

:(

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Like, I moved to Chicago from AZ specifically so that I could sell my car and depend on public transport alone and it's worked out well enough for me so far. I didn't do it out of a deep conviction that cars cause blight and misery though; never actually met someone who would sound off on it the way you're describing. Maybe the attitude is specific to one particular internet corner - avoid that place if it troubles you.

If on the other hand you are actually feeling tempted to make a change in your own life and that's why you're bringing it up, have faith in your ability to handle the consequences and try it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Me again. posted:

Like, I moved to Chicago from AZ specifically so that I could sell my car and depend on public transport alone and it's worked out well enough for me so far. I didn't do it out of a deep conviction that cars cause blight and misery though; never actually met someone who would sound off on it the way you're describing. Maybe the attitude is specific to one particular internet corner - avoid that place if it troubles you.

If on the other hand you are actually feeling tempted to make a change in your own life and that's why you're bringing it up, have faith in your ability to handle the consequences and try it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out.

Buddy,
code:
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I                     E
Z                     T
A                     S
R                     A
D                     M
M                     D
A                     R
S                     A
T                     Z
E                     I
R E T S A M D R A Z I W

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Methanar posted:

its not a very nice one though. not gentrified at all

these are most fun

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Cars were a mistake

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Big trucks have built in shitters.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Riding to work on an e-bike owns bones. If I took the car I'd save maybe 5 minutes and have to spend most of that time in heavy traffic.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

BigBadSteve posted:

They're right.

:emptyquote:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Car culture is literally ruining the planet, so yeah the urbanists are 100% right. I just took a trip to Paris, and it was so easy and convenient to get around on public transit even in the midst of a transit strike, and I had never been there before. It was easier to get around by train there than by car in the place I've lived all my life, so the thing we're destroying the planet for isn't even convenient.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
On one hand, yeah, it's pretty true, on the other hand, the people perpetuating the movement often don't even know what the hell they're talking about and just sort of assume that money is no object and private property rights don't exist.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

a lot of those people are anxiety stricken NEETs who have latched onto their inability to get a driving license as the reason why they're a shut-in who doesn't go out and do things OP, hth

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I thought wizards got around by shoving brooms up their keesters and flying everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Panzeh posted:

On one hand, yeah, it's pretty true, on the other hand, the people perpetuating the movement often don't even know what the hell they're talking about and just sort of assume that money is no object and private property rights don't exist.

they shouldn't exist, hth