Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I can't really see Greg getting control of the companies unless there is some major family reconciliation and they all convince each other they'd rather just be billionaires and happy, with Greg being the only remaining option to keep it kind of in the family. What I think is far more likely is that Greg gets credit for something else and gets to become a financial adviser, similar to what we say in this episode. So he gets to make insane amounts of money for just saying "yea, that sounds good" for the rest of his life. They even kind of foreshadowed something like that with their current financial adviser this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I don't see that happening in any form. The writing has been too good and that path doesn't play at all (other than fan service).

The path is if they need a fall guy no one actually cares about. He is incredibly expendable and incredibly easy to manipulate. Good or bad depends on whatever the context is, but there's a pretty clear *general* path for a two day rule of King Gregory the First of his Name.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

succession is back and I’ve loved every second of it so far

at this point in the show’s run every character’s motivations and personality are so clearly delineated and established that it’s a joy just seeing them interact with each other. it also makes me feel smart while watching because the direction doesn’t overemphasize details that speak volumes, like tom wearing his wedding ring to bed but not while in public, or logan lamenting that no one jokes anymore because roman’s not in the room, or the roy kids getting bigleagued by nan pearce in the same way that they did the saudis earlier in the episode. glad the pandemic didn’t gently caress the show and that, unlike logan, it’s coming to a gracious end.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah it's definitely that she thinks the separation was going to swing her way and now Tom is loving models and has Logan's ear in a way that she never did. That phone conversation is as Gotten To as Shiv has ever been. You can see she's trying to grasp one last bit of power back by denying Tom sex in the bed, but I'm pretty sure Tom was even offering that as pity.

It's all so wonderfully double-edged but walks a fine line between possible and absurd. Tom is such an incredible actor I want him to face off against White Lotus Murray Bartlett for some reason.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Kerry berating Greg was so hilarous as she tries to get in his face but ends up having to look straight up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
With so many premiere moments I feel like Tom's laugh at Greg's date asking Logan for a selfie has gone under the radar

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

She was funny about it!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Henchman of Santa posted:

If Logan is turning 83 or 84 now, I think it's reasonable for Connor to be around 60. But I guess he also was involved in bullying Roman as a child so maybe he's closer to 50.

In the first episode, Logan calls Connor “primo” as in first born, but that’s also Spanish for cousin, so that’s what I figured they were for the first episode and a half. The Reverse Arrested Development, I call it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or did the opening theme sound a bit distorted and scratchy in a way it didn't before? I was wondering if they'd been doing the Better Call Saul thing this whole time and I hadn't noticed.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

stev posted:

Is it just me or did the opening theme sound a bit distorted and scratchy in a way it didn't before? I was wondering if they'd been doing the Better Call Saul thing this whole time and I hadn't noticed.

lol what's the better call saul thing, i didn't notice it there either

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the saul intro degrades in fidelity every season, getting scratchier and less saturated, as gene wears out the vhs by watching it regularly

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

stev posted:

I genuinely thought the quality of the opening theme audio was bad. I also blast the theme song a lot on Spotify so idk maybe I’m just picky. But that would be very cool if it’s intentional!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ShowTime posted:

I can't really see Greg getting control of the companies unless there is some major family reconciliation and they all convince each other they'd rather just be billionaires and happy, with Greg being the only remaining option to keep it kind of in the family. What I think is far more likely is that Greg gets credit for something else and gets to become a financial adviser, similar to what we say in this episode. So he gets to make insane amounts of money for just saying "yea, that sounds good" for the rest of his life. They even kind of foreshadowed something like that with their current financial adviser this episode.
I can definitely see Greg getting an eight-or-nine-figure career out of having been tangentially associated with something that made lotsa money. A Vince Russo of high finance.

Comedy option: Ewan sells out, creating a role for Greg as the face of a kindler, gentler Waystar-Royco in partnership with Greenpeace and the Roy Foundation for Meretricious Crapulence.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I just rewatched the intro to this seasons ep and it sounds normal fidelity and like every other season. maybe you got a blown speaker.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
*Kendall, talking about "the money" that showed up*:

"Yeah yeah, they're fine, they love it. Jess, find them a journalist to burn with cigarettes while they wait."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Willa just digging and digging into Connor with the percent talk was incredible, especially her crack about everyone else having all the rest of the percents.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

stev posted:

I noticed this too. I was watching on SkyGo on a PS5 in the UK.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 29, 2023

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Logan is spiteful enough to ruin the GoJo deal to gently caress over the kids, but I can also see him going through the deal and using the merger to revitalize ATN and more throughly crush the kids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wasn't part of the deal he brokered at the end of season 3 that he would basically be left in charge of (or outright own as its own entity ala Murdoch and Fox News) ATN while everything else went to GoJo?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I think he was looking to sell everything but ATN to Mattson. And he intended to use the profits to buy PGN, the news company owned by the Pierces.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

saw jeremy strong say in some press video on youtube that one of the episodes this season will have a 30+ minute one-shot take with multiple characters across multiple levels of a building —— gonna keep an eye out for that

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

saw jeremy strong say in some press video on youtube that one of the episodes this season will have a 30+ minute one-shot take with multiple characters across multiple levels of a building —— gonna keep an eye out for that

Good news, if that's true it's going to be very hard to miss so you probably don't need to.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Maybe it'll be Ken having a meltdown and going John Wick on a bunch of people like Shiv joked

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finally had time to catch the episode. Reading the thread, surprised that people think the kids won. Logan got them back in his orbit without him making direct overtures to them, and they did so by abandoning the capital and time to take their own -- stupid, buzzworthy -- product online. Look at his mood, he went from being a miserable old gently caress contemplating his mortality to cracking jokes about Greg; it was the best birthday present they could have given him.

He needs those three, since they're the only ones in his orbit that have any protected status (as opposed to Gerri etc.) whose backbone he hasn't snapped in two (Connor). And I doubt Shiv has the self-awareness to recognise that she's generated the same relationship with Tom.

They could have got out, but they keep going back. But they thought they won because they said the biggest number.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Life imitating art…

https://twitter.com/believekarolina/status/1641447489609007105?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look at his mood, he went from being a miserable old gently caress contemplating his mortality to cracking jokes about Greg

Definitely didn’t interpret it this way at all tbh. I saw it as angry and lashing out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"You're a mean old man" just cracked me up. It's true! He's such a bastard that he doesn't have a single friend. Not a single person who isn't scared to rib him a little bit. Billions of dollars can only buy you so many blank black baseball caps.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Don't forget that the entire Pierce thing happened because Tom called Shiv to "give her a heads up" that he was seen with Naomi - business not sex. Weirdly, on the same exact day the deal was scheduled to go down. Unless Tom masterminded the whole thing, Logan was just playing for his own crowd by pretending to be caught off guard.

It immediately sent Shiv off the rails, and Ken was right there too. If anything changes with the GoJo deal then the kids are hosed. Logan probably plans to get a huge discount and own his kids by covering 51% of the sale price for control.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The entire time Roman is suggesting that the other two are moving too fast and overcomitting, but they both feel emasculated thanks to Tom's phone call and keep pushing. I dunno if Logan's got a more complicated play other than to get the kids back in his orbit, but I think that meeting (which he set up) was deliberately designed to provoke them into action, definitely.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
As others mentioned, the fact that Roman was being the most rational one is a cue that this is a really bad loving deal.

Culkin is such a drat joy to watch. :allears:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Can we put a poll-up on whether Logan dies or not?

I'm nt sure where I stand.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely didn’t interpret it this way at all tbh. I saw it as angry and lashing out.

It can be both. Logan doesn't have much except for being an angry dude, so getting one more big fight is what he needs even if it isn't what he wanted.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The fact that Roman went on and on about how much money $500m is and then seeing them outbid the next closest firm offer by another $3b removes any doubt at all that this was supposed to be some kind of “win” for the kids.

I think they’re capital F “hosed”. And I got a feeling Stevie is gonna be swooping in to “help” them out at some point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Nemo posted:

The finale will be when they discover he died in the pilot and since then it's been one of his automatons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Weekend At Uncle Fun's, starring Cousin Greg!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

It would be fitting if this ends with Logan having another heart attack and the kids waiting in the hospital from the first episode, not revealing if he made it or not. Like they are all trapped in a never ending cycle of abuse and misery.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mr. Nemo posted:

I feel like he has to die in like... episode 8 or something. They teased us with his death in the pilot, surely they have to deliver?

I also wonder if Logan will tell the world about Kendall's Chappaquiddick at some point

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

kendall diving into the water fruitlessly :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Eh, I doubt it. He'd be implicating himself in the cover-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

It would be fitting if this ends with Logan having another heart attack and the kids waiting in the hospital from the first episode, not revealing if he made it or not. Like they are all trapped in a never ending cycle of abuse and misery.

I'm going with this as my pet theory, yeah. Give me that The Shield ending where the worst punishment is endless purgatory.