Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

i don't see genuine ableism in scroto's post

it's not your say as you were not the affected party

it's that simple

you don't get to decide that for another person

Bad Purchase posted:

i have no idea how to respond to this.

first part was responding to you correcting the record on what happened since you'd mischaracterized it

the rest was directed to the mods and a general message to everyone being an idiot about this & not you

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Does calling another poster a mongoloid fall under ableism or racism? This is very important for my notes on the subject

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

It doesn’t matter if you’re “right” about the intent of the original post or not. The intent of the person who said it doesn’t matter, it’s how it’s perceived by the target. It’s why complementing a minority on how well-spoken they are is still considered racist even if that wasn’t the intent.

It’s not the end of the world to admit mistakes were made and to commit to doing better. It even sounds like Tarquinn has done exactly that!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nooner posted:

Does calling another poster a mongoloid fall under ableism or racism? This is very important for my notes on the subject

yes

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nooner posted:

Depends if you're a cspam mod yelling at someone for using the R word while doing so

Also Tarquinn apparently apologized via PM, so finally a solved issue.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

query: have the threadbans from the previous feedback thread been carried forward to this one? (voted 1 btw)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

query: have the threadbans from the previous feedback thread been carried forward to this one? (voted 1 btw)

yes (voted 2, will bump to 3 if I am given my buttons)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

My genuine feedback is that GBS really isn't that bad but some posters (BAGS, Sm/lugworth, the guy with the green lady avatar) get insanely aggro at even the mildest criticism and that's not a great environment for forum growth, if that is the desired outcome. Characterizing detractors or critics as being bloodthirsty or shrieking or whatever else is disingenuous. If you want a better feedback thread, maybe consider instituting rules to encourage posters to meet the conversation where it's at instead of whatever imagined argument they're having.
I was just attacked for a legitimate question, and I'm the aggro one? I don't honestly think I've ever used smooth brain as an insult (I'm prepared to be wrong if someone searches, since I'm familiar with it but not with the actual disorder, so I always assumed it to be harmless), and now definitely won't as I know it refers to an actual disorder. My only other comments in this whole debacle were that I think trolling should be dealt with firmly because I think it's an absurd way for adults to communicate. When 16bbh trolls, I ignore him, just now when he posted sincerely, I engaged with him sincerely.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Slugworth posted:

I was just attacked for a legitimate question, and I'm the aggro one? I don't honestly think I've ever used smooth brain as an insult (I'm prepared to be wrong if someone searches, since I'm familiar with it but not with the actual disorder, so I always assumed it to be harmless), and now definitely won't as I know it refers to an actual disorder. My only other comments in this whole debacle were that I think trolling should be dealt with firmly because I think it's an absurd way for adults to communicate. When 16bbh trolls, I ignore him, just now when he posted sincerely, I engaged with him sincerely.

I don't think you were insanely aggro or anything, but it was one of those questions that you should have realized was incredibly dumb to ask. Like, what did you think it was referring to? You don't have to know the exact order but it should just be really obvious that it's just another way of calling someone a slur. It's like if you called someone a 'stick-bundle' and then was confused that people were upset at you using a very blatant alternative to slide under the radar.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kchama posted:

I don't think you were insanely aggro or anything, but it was one of those questions that you should have realized was incredibly dumb to ask. Like, what did you think it was referring to? You don't have to know the exact order but it should just be really obvious that it's just another way of calling someone a slur. It's like if you called someone a 'stick-bundle' and then was confused that people were upset at you using a very blatant alternative to slide under the radar.
As douche wolf noted, I assumed it was as simple as "brains with a lot of folds are generally regarded as a sign of intelligence". It's a pretty reasonable assumption imo, but I also prefaced my post by saying I'm stupid, so...

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Slugworth posted:

As douche wolf noted, I assumed it was as simple as "brains with a lot of folds are generally regarded as a sign of intelligence". It's a pretty reasonable assumption imo, but I also prefaced my post by saying I'm stupid, so...

Well, okay. I'll shout at you less about it, then.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

curlingiron posted:

It’s why complementing a minority on how well-spoken they are is still considered racist even if that wasn’t the intent.

nah, bad example, that is a backhanded compliment that implies something derogatory about the rest of the minority population. scroto's post did not do that.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Bad Purchase posted:

nah, bad example, that is a backhanded compliment that implies something derogatory about the rest of the minority population. scroto's post did not do that.

I’m sorry my analogy was not sufficiently congruent. How about calling a woman beautiful? That could still make someone uncomfortable and would therefore be considered inappropriate, regardless of the intention.

Edit: Here is an explainer on intent vs. impact, albeit from a legal/HR perspective: https://nonprofitresourcehub.org/intent-impact-do-you-know-the-difference-does-it-matter/

As others have said, your (or my!) perspective on this is not the important one, here. And given that fact, I’ll drop it now.

curlingiron fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 17, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in this case the analogy would be a woman saying they're a woman, and then later that day someone else remembers it and says to a third person, "that person is a woman" as part of a joke

maybe it's a weird thing to point out, maybe it didn't need to be said, but i wouldn't see it as bigoted (well, unless the rest of the joke was bigoted)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:siren:

OK Goons that topic of discussion is over itt. DW is right, this is weird, let's drop it now

Go check out the new MS Paint thread and try your hand at making some cool or funny art.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
agreed, edited out reply to spinz unedited weird comment

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 17, 2023

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Karma Comedian posted:

Go check out the new MS Paint thread and try your hand at making some cool or funny art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karma Comedian posted:

OK Goons that topic of discussion is over itt. DW is right, this is weird, let's drop it now

jw say good on Tarquinn for talking to dw about it and apologizing

not on that topic but just in general:
i think it would be good for the mods to make a note of that outcome because a lot of other things that have happened or are happening could be resolved by reaching out and attempting to clear stuff up. even if it's escalated into open hostility, give it a shot. when people start shouting at mods for fuckups, they almost always just want an explanation and/or apology at first.

It's when the response seems to be perceiving it as posters calling for bans or to be demodded or whatever and double down/circle the waggys. then people start actually demanding they be demodded for, at the very least APPEARING to be valuing keeping the forum authority over being a good person or not giving a gently caress - idk about everyone else but for me it's to the point any time something happens where a mod/admin lets an issue people are upset about sit for more than about a couple days without addressing it, that's my first assumption.

idk if you (mods in general, not just GBS) are just really conflict averse or what, but social conflicts grow from them not being addressed. Nicolae Ceaușescu didn't get overthrown because he gave that speech, it's because it didn't address anything people were actually upset about and thought it would get em all to shut up

if you're thinking of what to say or busy at work or whatever just say that, to the people who are upset. be real about stuff. don't ignore feedback that's critical of your decisions or behavior, that only makes the criticism/disagreement grow and become exaggerated and makes more people think it's accurate.

facing that stuff is how you get posters who aren't just total assholes to not dislike you. they dislike those things and want you to address them in a way that resolves it or at least makes an attempt to. most people value effort with that kinda poo poo

thats all imma say on it but seriously, just be real with people. don't hide behind things or get other mods to do shuttle diplomacy or use your power to control or limit the conversation that they don't have access to, people do not like that, it's cop poo poo

ganbattaids:hehe:

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 17, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is amazing that's my feedback

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Meh, not worth it, saw KC's request after posting.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 17, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think GBS is in a good place and the current mods are doing a good job. They're not 100% perfect but that's not a reasonable expectation.

:thanks:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
some feedback, I really like the MSPaint thread and I like seeing a bit of positive vibe for a bit. It's nice and I hope for more of that from some of the lovely creative people on this site

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Seth Pecksniff posted:

To me it's never been neutral, and that's where I think my issues lie. If there was some semblance of moderation there, where we could actually discuss the issues at hand and people who are over the line get probed, then I'd be all for it. My experience has been I post there, get the e-crap beaten out of me and nothing's resolved and it just spirals into a shitstorm and nothing's actually done about anyone who breaks the forum rules.

My experiences are different than others and I'll admit that QCS has colored my vision on those types of forums. SAD is marginally better for the most part but I still don't see a lot of moderation there, which is my big issue frankly.

It veered into vitriolic towards the end, and I'm going to set the boundaries of no warnings this time. I've been a bit lenient in previous versions of this thread.

expecting a feedback thread to operate in good faith while generalising the general discussion forum as biased bullies is setting it up to fail. (which it immediately did looking at the probes)

do you have literally any examples of what you're talking about? what are these failed SAD threads? you can easily link them.

Mod Edit:

DW and I have PMd about this. I explained to them that it felt like they were bringing up a discussion we had said to stop, I apologized if I misread the context of their post, and I offered to ask an admin to rescind the 6r if requested.

Their response was that they didn't mind the probe, admitted it was a little between the pages, and to ask me to edit to let people know I misread the context and that we've spoken.

I genuinely hope that helps. If not, my PM's are open and so is my contact email for those without platinum. - KC

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 18, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

no offense seth but you once ran into a thread to make some really weird accusations against another poster because they had an anime avatar thats probably why you got such a negative reputation in SAD lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He was right

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

probe the people who can't let it go, don't let this start up again, jesus christ

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My fury knows no bounds, to be honest

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

My fury knows no bounds, to be honest

Morally Inept II: the Angry Years

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Steadiman posted:

some feedback, I really like the MSPaint thread and I like seeing a bit of positive vibe for a bit. It's nice and I hope for more of that from some of the lovely creative people on this site

:yeah: seriously gbs has had great mspaint threads over the years, they're fun

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Do not import interforum drama into this thread, goons

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karma Comedian posted:

Do not import interforum drama into this thread, goons

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

expecting a feedback thread to operate in good faith while generalising the general discussion forum as biased bullies is setting it up to fail. (which it immediately did looking at the probes)

do you have literally any examples of what you're talking about? what are these failed SAD threads? you can easily link them.

how is responding to the OP of the thread importing interforum drama

my feedback is start thread #4 in the gas chamber this thread is over 10% Bad Purchase running interference by weight and you're probating people for asking proof of claim? that seems pretty standard for good-faith discourse. you didn't even give a reason for that probe lol wtf

My feedback is that you should have to give an accurate descriptor for probations or bans in a feedback thread for transparency and clarity's sake and fhat probe should be rolled back because it makes no sense.

why is it so difficult or problematic to face basic-rear end questions in a forum you claim stewardship of?

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 18, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The GBS Feedback Thread is really not the venue for discussing problems with SAD. I'm not sure what the proper venue for discussing problems with SAD would be, but this ain't it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

Asking for examples to be posted here of "failed threads" in SAD seems rather clearly "importing interforum" matters. I think the "drama" aspect can be safely left for the learned reader to reflect upon?

This is *GBS* Feedback, after all!

You posted:

and seth everyone can tell you're having kc do that or at the very least not doing anything about it cmon bruhhhhhhhhhhh just respond to the poo poo you are being very weak here i am disappointed

This text however really is a bit concerning about your perception of other people.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 18, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The GBS Feedback Thread is really not the venue for discussing problems with SAD. I'm not sure what the proper venue for discussing problems with SAD would be, but this ain't it.

Rust Martialis posted:

Asking for examples to be posted here of "failed threads" in SAD seems rather clearly "importing interforum" matters. I think the "drama" aspect can be safely left for the learned reader to reflect upon?

This is *GBS* Feedback, after all!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Mekchu posted:

people who are over the line not getting probated? or people who break the forum rules there etc.

like in this thread and in the last gbs feedback thread, people are pushing the 'us vs them' narrative poo poo that people have pointed to as a problem with gbs (as well as other subforums/threads like the cspam covid thread as a quick example). they weren't probed or punished really for that until enough people called it out and so on.

I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you because I just posted and I'm about to go to bed but I'll grab some examples tomorrow when I have some breaks

:dafuq:

Rust Martialis posted:

This text however really is a bit concerning about your perception of other people.

nah 2 other mods showing up this confidently over this instead of leaving it to him is obvious lol

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If Seth wants to engage further that's on him, but demanding instant results and just getting more and more escalated is not helping anyone or anything. It's clear you don't like Seth - fine, whatever. You don't need to post pages and pages of crap about it, particularly when he's not here.

Everything does not need to be a high stakes emotional debate at all times.

dude i don't care about seth at all. I'm not emotional or upset at all this is just like I don't know, a pathetic display that's the best word for it, it's a pathetic display

it wss literally the same question, you clearly didn't read the thread so how can you punish him for missing it?

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 18, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If Seth wants to engage further that's on him, but demanding instant results and just getting more and more escalated is not helping anyone or anything. It's clear you don't like Seth - fine, whatever. You don't need to post pages and pages of crap about it, particularly when he's not here.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Realizing that is why I gave up on following the US and UK politics threads. They're just unhealthy. I can only imagine there are other threads with the same effect.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
esit: it w/e

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 18, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:dafuq:

nah 2 other mods showing up this confidently over this instead of leaving it to him is obvious lol

dude i don't care about seth at all. I'm not emotional or upset at all this is just like I don't know, a pathetic display that's the best word for it, it's a pathetic display

it wss literally the same question, you clearly didn't read the thread so how can you punish him for missing it?

What are you on about now? I did not want to see this thread derail into a tribunal over SAD, so threw a statement out there. And whether or not it's intentional, your posting style comes across as emotional, or at the very least aggro. Crafting a conspiracy theory about the mods is somewhat novel, at least, so I'll give you points for that.

In general, this thread is intended to be for feedback. I'd like to see it get back to that intended purpose.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is the post my post was referring to.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

no offense seth but you once ran into a thread to make some really weird accusations against another poster because they had an anime avatar thats probably why you got such a negative reputation in SAD lol

"You did XYZ in another forum" is interforums drama.

Eta: wow lmao let's :sweep: it up here fnln.

E2: anyway DW and I have PMd about this. I explained to them that it felt like they were bringing up a discussion we had said to stop, I apologized if I misread the context of their post, and I offered to ask an admin to rescind the 6r if requested.

Their response was that they didn't mind the probe, admitted it was a little between the pages, and to ask me to edit to let people know I misread the context and that we've spoken.

I genuinely hope that helps. If not, my PM's are open and so is my contact email for those without platinum.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 18, 2023