Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jelly posted:

Lately on Paramount+ they've been advertising this medicine that stops you from getting HIV.

It's not for people who already have HIV, and it doesn't stop you from getting any other STD's so you still have to practice safe sex.

I imagine it's probably for people with a partner who has HIV but as they never mention that it just comes across as a really weird drug.

how is there still anyone this naive and sheltered on the internet in tyool 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I take a number of herbal/ayurvedic supplements because they can't be any worse than the last two decade's worth of booze, drugs, and cigarettes I subjected myself to.

I take an actual antidepressant, too, because I might be open minded but I'm not entirely ignorant lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know if this counts as "alt medicine" but i quit sugar, or rather drastically reduced the amount of sugar i eat outside of occasional fruit, and i feel a lot better. and i wasnt particularly into it in the first place, never had a "sweet tooth", but removing any kind of processed sugar from my diet has been a noticeable change all the same. i know thats something alt medicine types are into and ive certainly never been told to do so by a legit doctor. but it feels good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Remember Airborne? Developed by a schoolteacher! My mom was big on that stuff. I guess it helps keep up your vitamin C, if you like overpriced "supplements" that taste like zesty orange rear end

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

airborne is just vitamin c and zinc, there's nothing "alternative" about it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I drink tons of kombucha. But that doesn't seem like it's alt medicine?

I never have any gut issues as long as I stay on the straight and vinegar path.

I also cut sugar out of my diet majorly and only have it on Fridays / Saturdays.

Lol vitamin C is such a loving joke my mother loves to claim how great it is and how many times she's felt sick and drank airborne then felt netter

I used to eat vitamin C supplements when I was in my single digit years

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

airborne is just vitamin c and zinc, there's nothing "alternative" about it

Anything that has the magic disclaimer* in size 0.2 typeface on the back of the package is trying to sell you snake oil.

*"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Remember Airborne? Developed by a schoolteacher! My mom was big on that stuff. I guess it helps keep up your vitamin C, if you like overpriced "supplements" that taste like zesty orange rear end

Remember Head On?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Remember Head On?

Apply directly to the forehead.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Anything that has the magic disclaimer* in size 0.2 typeface on the back of the package is trying to sell you snake oil.

*"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

of course its snake oil, i'm not saying its beneficial, i'm saying its just a vitamin supplement like any other you can buy in literally any major pharmacy chain in the us, its made by a large publicly traded corporation, there's nothing "alternative" about it, its just good old western corporate snake oil.

like no one who takes vitamin c thinks it has magic powers or aligns your chakras or means you dont have to go to the doctor. its something you find in cvs or at the grocery store, not in a special hippy health food store. whether beneficial or not, vitamin supplements are extremely mainstream and very much pushed by the corporate pharma world, not as an "alternative" to it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 13, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

Apply directly to the forehead.

APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!!!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

it's for men who have sex with men you silly goose

lol

lmao

I would like to request that the person who reported this post to the mods for being homophobic to show yourself so that I can make fun of you

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Come on. You enjoy having chiropractors give you permanent back damage. You might even drink some herbal poo poo on the regular. Post here so we can laugh at you

Imagine hating women this much

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I would like to request that the person who reported this post to the mods for being homophobic to show yourself so that I can make fun of you

holy poo poo, what?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Iff you want to get cursed. he had Itaalyt famikly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Well grapefruit apparently potentiates my SSRI prescription, so I guess there are random bits of 'natural' bullshit that actually do something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

of course its snake oil, i'm not saying its beneficial, i'm saying its just a vitamin supplement like any other you can buy in literally any major pharmacy chain in the us, its made by a large publicly traded corporation, there's nothing "alternative" about it, its just good old western corporate snake oil.

like no one who takes vitamin c thinks it has magic powers or aligns your chakras or means you dont have to go to the doctor. its something you find in cvs or at the grocery store, not in a special hippy health food store. whether beneficial or not, vitamin supplements are extremely mainstream and very much pushed by the corporate pharma world, not as an "alternative" to it.

By the same measure chiropractic isn't alternative! I can right now get 20 chiro sessions a year covered by my health insurance, the same health insurance that pays for my family doctor and ER visits and all of that real medical stuff, at a clean modern downtown office by a man with a degree on his wall, not some robed guru in a failing mall or whatever.

Anything that isn't orthodox scientifically-derived medical practice but purports to treat or cure a disease is, by definition, alternative.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We used to box. i like the left hook.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Dick Fontaine posted:

holy poo poo, what?

I came home from the raunchy leather bar where a meetup group that I run was hosting a party for a queer film festival and saw that I had a DM from a mod asking if I could clarify the post for them because somebody reported it for being homophobic

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
O(f cours I come e swinging will nilly.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

zedprime posted:

Yeah I believe in ALT medicine.

A
Lesbian
Three-way

There's no way a lesbian three-way cures cancer but I'm open to have that administered to me in an effort to prove that it does!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol if you don't believe in alt medicine. It's right there in the shelf at Walgreens. You can see it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I came home from the raunchy leather bar where a meetup group that I run was hosting a party for a queer film festival and saw that I had a DM from a mod asking if I could clarify the post for them because somebody reported it for being homophobic

:lmao:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McSpanky posted:

By the same measure chiropractic isn't alternative! I can right now get 20 chiro sessions a year covered by my health insurance, the same health insurance that pays for my family doctor and ER visits and all of that real medical stuff, at a clean modern downtown office by a man with a degree on his wall, not some robed guru in a failing mall or whatever.

Anything that isn't orthodox scientifically-derived medical practice but purports to treat or cure a disease is, by definition, alternative.

lmao. sorry but no, science and logic lost out a while ago. if it's backed by big money and made by publicly traded companies and covered by your insurance, its Normal, and if its something you have to seek out and pay for yourself and they don't want you to know about it, its Alternative. the scientific process itself will be Alternative before long, you'll need brand endorsement for something to be considered True. what determines the validity of medicine is not FDA approval nor what it does to your body, it's how professional the packaging looks.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 13, 2023

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Torquemada posted:

Well grapefruit apparently potentiates my SSRI prescription, so I guess there are random bits of 'natural' bullshit that actually do something.
furanocoumarins prevents proper absorption and thus fucks with bioavailblity calculations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bro-science and natural/alt poo poo can be correct, it just will be basically by accident because there's not enough data yet to do actual science

Go ahead and try whatever if it makes you happy but lol if you forgo actual treatment in favor of it.

But there's plenty of poo poo that's just laughable on its face or proven to be complete nonsense and people should probably be discouraged from pushing it on the desperate and gullible

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Imo some chiropractic treatments absolutely work for some specific problems when combined with PT, but the theories and cobbled together tradition are of course hokum. Some of them do have neurological training and view things like somatic dysfunction more from that lens, and less from the lens of sublaxations or voodoo ghosts or whatever.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"Some chiropractic is actually just massage"

I don't mean to be dismissive but man how can a "good" practitioner hitch their wagon to that poo poo

It's like the dinner with 11 Nazis principle

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Imo some chiropractic treatments absolutely work for some specific problems when combined with PT, but the theories and cobbled together tradition are of course hokum. Some of them do have neurological training and view things like somatic dysfunction more from that lens, and less from the lens of sublaxations or voodoo ghosts or whatever.
Were laughing at you

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I have to give them props for a slogan laser-focused at the target audience. "Ooohhh, a teacher is around germy kids all day, they'd know what to do. Better pop one before my southwest flight to family in dallas."

I loled when CVS put their generic version right next to it and it had clearly been run through the lawyers because the name was something like "Aviation-themed herbal capsules that do not do anything"

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

maybealabia posted:

"Some chiropractic is actually just massage"
I mean basically, but massage therapists or PTs won't do some things that chiros do, for better or for worse (often worse). For example, I needed a good crunch or two in a few spots and it instantly improved my back mobility. PT and medical massage wasn't helping, and they even said if "I was an insured chiropractor I would do X but I can't". What I was trying to say is more like a few chiropractic techniques have a practical benefit that's hard to get elsewhere, rather than that chiropracty is legitimate

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

lmao. sorry but no, science and logic lost out a while ago. if it's backed by big money and made by publicly traded companies and covered by your insurance, its Normal, and if its something you have to seek out and pay for yourself and they don't want you to know about it, its Alternative. the scientific process itself will be Alternative before long, you'll need brand endorsement for something to be considered True. what determines the validity of medicine is not FDA approval nor what it does to your body, it's how professional the packaging looks.

I graciously hand the crown of King of Alt Medicine to you, o wise one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mean basically, but massage therapists or PTs won't do some things that chiros do, for better or for worse (often worse). For example, I needed a good crunch or two in a few spots and it instantly improved my back mobility. PT and medical massage wasn't helping, and they even said if "I was an insured chiropractor I would do X but I can't". What I was trying to say is more like a few chiropractic techniques have a practical benefit that's hard to get elsewhere, rather than that chiropracty is legitimate
The chiro almost definitely hosed up your back in ways that you just dont feel right now. Theres a reason licensed medical practitioners dont do that poo poo. You didnt just discover some loophole in the medical system.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I graciously hand the crown of King of Alt Medicine to you, o wise one.

you don't have the crown to hand over, and if i had it i wouldn't be sitting here shitposting i'd be on a yacht or whatever

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol vitamin C is such a loving joke my mother loves to claim how great it is and how many times she's felt sick and drank airborne then felt netter

I finally had enough of the bullshit and decided to cut vitamin C out of my diet a while ago.

Surprise surprise I feel completely fine, except for my gums bleeding and being kinda tired.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Crespolini posted:

I finally had enough of the bullshit and decided to cut vitamin C out of my diet a while ago.

Surprise surprise I feel completely fine, except for my gums bleeding and being kinda tired.

like you stopped taking vitamin C supplements or you stopped eating any food that had vitamin C in it?

there's nothing wrong with vitamins in and of themselves, they are naturally occurring in all kinds of healthy foods, its just much better to get them in your actual diet instead of taking supplements

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Vegetable posted:

The chiro almost definitely hosed up your back in ways that you just dont feel right now. Theres a reason licensed medical practitioners dont do that poo poo. You didnt just discover some loophole in the medical system.
They didn't per my orthopedic doctor. Once again, chiropracty is not legitimate. However, I think that a rigorous discipline fulfilling a similar role that contains elements of PT, physiology, somatic therapy, massage, and neurology would be immensely beneficial to people's physical and mental health, and it's a shame that people fall back on quackery because it's the only thing available and covered by insurance.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Earwicker posted:

like you stopped taking vitamin C supplements or you stopped eating any food that had vitamin C in it?

like there's nothing wrong with vitamins in and of themselves, they are naturally occurring in all kinds of healthy foods, its just much better to get them in your actual diet instead of taking supplements

Cold turkey. Thought it was going to be way more of a pain than it was, but once you sit down and start planing your meals you find you can still actually eat most things. All kinds of meat, obviously, but also bread, rice, and pasta for instance. The only carbs you really have to be careful with are potatoes.

If you find there's vegetables you just can't do without, sufficient heat treatment will destroy the C anyway, so it's just a question being thorough.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

They didn't per my orthopedic doctor. Once again, chiropracty is not legitimate. However, I think that a rigorous discipline fulfilling a similar role that contains elements of PT, physiology, somatic therapy, massage, and neurology would be immensely beneficial to people's physical and mental health, and it's a shame that people fall back on quackery because it's the only thing available and covered by insurance.

i mean, there is regular non-chiropractic massage that is covered by insurance, it might not be super common but i don't think its that rare either? i know some sports massage type places that accept insurance. PT too. i get what you are saying and the insurance companies are absolutely assholes, but chiropractics is not at all the only thing available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
ALt Medicine isn't total bullshit if you consider diets part of alt medicine. I mean you can go on a gluten free diet for Crohn's Disease and your symptoms will get better.

Not sure if that counts as alt medicine though.