Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Nicely played. Relatively quiet while the players move pieces around. So will Japan try to push for more of an invasion in China to try and take it out early? Or try to more secure a buffer and go to buildup more forces?

The goal for Japan is to attack as much as they can into China. Its the main manpower drain, has resources they can put to use, allows for future cooperation with anti-communist forces (moreso than they already can) in addition to connecting them to nations like India, Burma, Siam, and Vietnam French Indo-China [soon no more... possibly!]

And since neither side has a lot of build points, whichever group can gear up fastest will either: help push the frontline deeper into China or stabilize the front closer to the coast. And since China will (almost) always have a problem with attacking, it means that Japan retains the initiative for a long while. If they ally Indochina, for example, those troops could be used to push in through China's southern border. Too many diversions elsewhere leaves Canton vulnerable, especially as Japan's fleet develops and allows for hard-hitting shore bombardments (not to mention for Shanghai either!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So the next year or so will go about how hard and far Japan can push into China then and how much it can build up it seems! Thanks for explaining.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
May/Jun 1936 - End of Turn Production, Re-organization, and more...

Partisan Phase

The Partisan 1d10 roll is... 9. There is a possibility of Partisans appearing in Burman and in China. The modifier for Burma is -1 for having 1 Infantry Corps in the country. The Partisan value in Burma is 2. 1d10 will be rolled and a Partisan unit will be created on a 1. The roll is a 5, no Partisan unit is created in Burma.

In China, the Garrison value is 20. Japan has 13 points of units, bringing the Garrison value down to 7. A roll of 7 or less will generate a Partisan unit. The 1d10 roll is a 6, a Partisan unit will placed next to the resource west of Peking. The unit is controlled by the Communist Chinese forces...

US Entry Phase

Several nations have markers in their respective pools. No actions are taken by USA.

Return to Base Phase

Japan's flotilla in the China Sea will rebase itself in Port Arthur. No other naval units are out at sea that must rebase.

Final Reorganisation Phase

China: Has no flipped units that require Oil to re-organize. They will not need to pay any Oil costs to re-organize.

Commonwealth: No units were moved.

France: No units were moved.

Germany: No units were moved.

Italy: Oil cost is less than 1 Oil - No Oil must be spent to re-organize units.

Japan: Oil cost is less than 1 Oil - No Oil must be spent to re-organize units.

Soviet Union: No units were moved.

United States of America: No units were moved.

Production Phase

Let's calculate all of the resources that each major nation gets, and how they will use it for production.

This should be up to date with all the loses China has suffered.

To break things down we have the following:

China: They have 7 resources and 13 factories (4 Red, 9 Blue) and their production multiplier is 0.25. They have 1 build points. They will receive 1 free build point for losing the Shanghai Militia Unit this turn.

Commonwealth:
- Australia: 3 resources and 1 factory (red).
- British Guyana: 1 resource. (sent to England)
- Trinidad: 1 oil. (sent to England)
- Burma: 1 oil
- Canada: 5 resources and 1 oil, and 6 factories (5 blue and 1 red).
- Cyprus: 1 resource in Cyprus (sent to England)
- Malaya: 2 resources
- South Africa: 4 resources, and 1 factory (blue) [1 resource is being sent to the UK]
- The UK: 2 resources, and 17 factories (13 blue and 4 red)

The Commonwealth has a build modifier of 0.25.

Australia will have 1 build point.
Canada will have 1 build point.
South Africa will have 1 build point.
The UK will have 1 build points.

France:
- Algeria: 1 resource [Convoyed to France]
- France: 6 resources and 14 factories (10 blue and 4 red)
- Indochina: 1 resource [Sent to France]
- New Caledonia: 1 resource [Not convoyed]
- Senegal: 1 resource [Convoyed to France]

France has a build point modifier of 0.25. They will have 2 build points.

Germany has 7 resources, 1 oil, and 16 factories (10 blue and 6 red). Finland is sending 1 resource to Germany.

Germany has a build point modifier of 0.75. They will have 6 build points.

Italy has 4 resources and 11 factories (8 blue and 3 red).

Italy has a building point modifier of 0.333. They will have 1 build points.

Japan:
- China [Occupied]: 3 resources [Convoyed to Japan]
- Formosa: 1 resource [Convoyed to Japan]
- Japan: 1 resource, and 14 factories (9 blue and 5 red)
- Korea: 1 resource, and 2 factories (1 blue and 1 red)
- Manchuria: 4 resources, and 2 factories (1 blue and 1 red) [1 resource convoyed to Japan]

Japan receives 4 resources in exchange for 1 build point to the USA. [Trade agreement]

Japan has a build point modifier of 0.5. They send 1 build point to the USA. They will have 6 build points.

Soviet Union has 21 resources, 10 oil, and 31 factories (23 blue, 8 red).

Soviet Union has a build point modifier of 0.1. They will have 3 build points.

United States of America:
- Philippines: 1 resource [Convoyed to Japan]
- USA: 24 resources, 18 oil, and 40 factories (28 blue and 12 red). [1 resource and 2 oil convoyed to Japan]

USA has a build point modifier of 0.05. They receive 1 build point from Japan. They will have 3 build points.

[I'm pretty sure I got it right this time!]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
May/Jun 1936 - Production Phase

Now that we've determined everyone's available resources and factories, including losses to strategic bombing, trading, etc. you proceed to build units and move things down the chain.

China has 2 build points.

China will spend 2 build points to purchase a Cavalry Corp in Changsha. I'm not sure if Nanking will survive that long, nor Shanghai proper...

Australia will have 1 build point.
Canada will have 1 build point.
South Africa will have 1 build point.
The UK will have 1 build points.

Every minor will build another convoy, while the UK will purchase the 2nd stage of construction for HMS Newcastle.

France has 2 build points.

France starts repairs on the Bearn and adds the Marseille's 2nd stage to production.

Germany has 6 build points.

Germany adds the Submarines 2nd stage to production and starts building 2 more Infantry Corps (Dusseldorf and Cologne).

Italy has 1 build points.

Italy's production continues, they add the Garibaldi's 2nd stage to Genoa's production line.

Japan has 6 build points.

Two territorial units are built in Korea and Manchuria respectively.

Japan adds a Transport unit to the production lines of Kobe.

Soviet Union has 3 build points.

Soviet Union starts an Infantry Corps in Kiev.

USA has 3 build points.

The USN St. Louis is added to Los Angeles naval yards and the Vincennes starts 2nd stage production in San Francisco.

Production Phase is now over.

May/Jun 1936 is now officially over.

Next up will be the Jul/Aug 1936 Political Phase. Is there a nation you support? What should they aim for? Is there a card in mind for them to play? :iiam:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Huh, weird seeing Japan having more BP's than the US. That for balance or just how the game treats them earlier?

But, it is fairly early for heavy buildup I guess. No one can really take losses at this point and replace them in good order.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Huh, weird seeing Japan having more BP's than the US. That for balance or just how the game treats them earlier?

But, it is fairly early for heavy buildup I guess. No one can really take losses at this point and replace them in good order.

1936 US has pitiful numbers for production, worse than the Soviet Union! (0.05 vs 0.1)

I believe it's also meant to prevent an immediate and huge ramp up by the US at the start of the game. If you play it straight, as it were, you could easily empty out the US's force pools very early and start jumping to future tech ahead of everyone else, forever.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

1936 US has pitiful numbers for production, worse than the Soviet Union! (0.05 vs 0.1)

I believe it's also meant to prevent an immediate and huge ramp up by the US at the start of the game. If you play it straight, as it were, you could easily empty out the US's force pools very early and start jumping to future tech ahead of everyone else, forever.

So basically the US is nerfed compared to reality.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

1936 isn't a big production year for the USA though?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Hey Jobbo please do everything you can to make sure our home on Native land is the best in the game :canada:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey Jobbo please do everything you can to make sure our home on Native land is the best in the game :canada:

Not until you come over and play Perfect Dark :whatup:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Never played DoD or even saw the rules, but the production multiplier for China seems very low. 0.25 when partially occupied? To be sure, last time I checked the rules dor WiF wad at least a decade ago.. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Letmebefrank posted:

Never played DoD or even saw the rules, but the production multiplier for China seems very low. 0.25 when partially occupied? To be sure, last time I checked the rules dor WiF wad at least a decade ago.. :shrug:

They start at 0.1 as a production multiplier, and I'm trying to make sure nobody instantly ramps to max in the first year of a conflict :)

(I could be playing it wrong, to be fair, I definitely don't have experience with the system, and right now things are chugging along for fun)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You're playing against yourself for fun/learning rather than competitive. So if some things are off I don't think it matters that much. You can always decide to make a change to have something ni the game be more interesting!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

You're playing against yourself for fun/learning rather than competitive. So if some things are off I don't think it matters that much. You can always decide to make a change to have something ni the game be more interesting!

Yeah, and also good luck getting other people to play this monster :D

Hence why I appreciate when the thread suggests cards/attitudes for individual nations.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

wedgekree posted:

It looks to me like the production multiplier is essentially measuring how much the country's economy is on a war footing. So the US has an absolutely enormous economy, but in 1936 that economy isn't bent toward war materiel. Meanwhile Germany's economy is roughly a third the size but much more focused on war production, so Germany produces more war materiel for now.

It's difficult to get a grasp on how the game works from this distance, and I definitely do not have the energy to read the rules, so I'll just suggest that I'd like to see a more active United States in this reality, with US interventionism focused on (1) maintaining democratic ideologies in the Americas and (2) preserving countries' independence (e.g. pro-Chinese actions as long as Japan is invading China).

Also I'll grab USS Texas: She may be old, she may be slow, she may be poorly protected by modern standards, but unlike all her contemporaries, she still exists.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It's almost like ya'll are forgetting that the US deliberately made a treaty with a certain Iberian Peninsula nation the political turn before a possible civil war breaks out :eng99:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not until you come over and play Perfect Dark :whatup:

Ugh fiiiine. After Thanksgiving

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Political Phase

It is the Political Phase of Jul/Aug 1936.

Each country gains money ($) equal to their build points received in the last production phase.

China has 2$
UK has 4$
France has 2$
Germany has 6$
Italy has 1$
Japan has 6$
Soviet Union has 3$
USA has 3$

Each nation can spend a certain number of bid points, which are used to determine who gets to go first. The formula is BID$ + Bid Modifier = Initiative score. Highest initiative score is 1st, then the rest slot in behind in descending bid value order. 1st place last turn gets a +4 bonus to their bid, so staying on top costs less, or at least forces your opponents to spend more.

Once the initiative positions have been determined we proceed to playing the various political cards. All cards in a nation's card pile are available from the start, as are International cards. However, not all cards can be played without the pre-requisite being completed (see the beige box in the top right). Any cards with the word "PLAYED" on it means they cannot be played a 2nd time.

As more turns take place, and more cards get played, we'll see even more re-alignments and shifts in ideology. Especially so when something like the Spanish Civil War starts...

Should anyone wish to suggest a card be played for a specific nation, I invite you to peek at the cards below. Just let me know what the card's "code" is (seen in the upper left box) and I will attempt to work it in. Note that its best to aim for a specific goal so you aren't just wasting money and time. I may veto the truly outrageous ideas, but I want to keep that to a minimum. Lastly, some cards may not be played simply because the turn ended before they had a chance. There's a bonus to your next turn bid to help with that, but we'll get more into that later.

Chinese Cards

Commonwealth

French Cards

German Cards

Italian Cards

Japanese Cards

Soviet Cards

USA Cards

International (All players/Common) Cards

Politics will be actioned tomorrow, Oct 7th in the AM.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Political Action Phase

It is the Political Phase of July-August 1936.

Bids are revealed, the initiative for this political phase is:

Italy
USA
Japan
France
Commonwealth
Germany
China
Soviet Union

Italy plays IT 2, War Drive, increasing their production multiplier (which they desperately need for $$$) - their production modifier goes from 0.333 to 0.5. They will activate Greece and push them 1 hex away from the central "Neutral" hex. The end of turn roll cannot be made as no other cards have been played. The US Entry chit 1d10 roll is a 2, a chit is added against Italy.

The USA will play IPO 26, Crisis in Iberia! Spain will start a Civil War, with the procedures to follow in the next post. The USA chooses to activate Bolivia Saudi Arabia to push it 2 hexes away from Democracy. USA automatically adds 2 Entry chits against itself. The IPO 26 card can never be replayed. The Political Phase may end on a 1 or less. The roll is a 3, the phase continues.

Japan plays IPO3, Minor Alliance, and targets Siam. They roll 1d10, and will subtract their initiative (-3) and add the country's willpower (+6), then subtract the distance between the two powers on the political chart (-6). If the final result is above 0, they are allied. The roll is a 7, and the final number is 4. Siam is now Allied with Japan, and will place possible units on the map. Siam is not at war with China. The reserve unit will be placed in the Reserves pool in Japan's production pool, and the HW Militia unit will be added to the force pool as well (although is technically unavailable until 1944.) The US Entry roll of 1d10 needs a 2 or less to generate a chit, the roll is a 5, no chit is added. Japan will activate Chile and bring it one hex closer to the Fascist ideology group. The Political Phase may end on a 1d10 roll of 2 or less. The roll is a 1, the Political Phase end.

Well, that was a bust for the other nations... I was hoping to have France ally the Netherlands, CW to ally Belgium, Germany to ally Austria, China to increase production, and, well, the Soviet Union had no good options at the moment. Bummer... It does mean that some nations get some nice bonuses to initiative to the next Political Phase due to their political effectiveness.

Next up, the Spanish Civil War. Rolls, and setup.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - The Spanish Civil War

The Spanish Civil War is a little bit more involved than other wars, particularly due to the high number of units it generates. As a result, I want to treat it as a separate item for the moment.

Firstly, for a Civil War, one must roll a 1d10 and use the Civil War Table to determine how many units each side will get. Usually, this is because the Government and Rebels use the same unit force pool - this is NOT the case with the Spanish. Both the Nationalists and the Republicans have unique Force Pools, and the % will be used to determine the number of units they can start with out of the possible number. (Strangely, the SCW is specifically singled out in the rulebook yet doesn't get to simply place all possible units.

In any case, the 1d10 roll is a 6, which means either side gets 50% of their possible units to deploy immediately.

The units in question:

Nationalists

Republicans

Not all of these units are possible for the start, and the naval forces are rolled for independently, meaning another 1d10 roll will be needed to determine how many ships are activated on either side. The roll is a 5, each side will get 50% of their possible naval assets to deploy as well.

As for actually setting things up, I'll go to a special DISCORD event, but if anyone responds here first, we'll see how I can work things with both.

Italy is the initiative leader. Do the Nationalists deploy first, or do the Republicans get to place units first? (For reference, the side that starts places 1 unit ANYWHERE in Spain, and the other side then places 2 units, then the first side places 2, and so on and so forth.)

(Italy shall go first)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jul/Aug 1936 - The Spanish Civil War Deployments

Thanks to D_V on discord for producing whatever this is

I'd partially messed up initial Naval assets deployment thanks to thinking they each had unique units, but that wasn't the case. Surprisingly, the outcome is pretty even, with the Republicans having 1 more attack than the enemy. To make things more interesting initially as well, I put all units that could be built on the production lines in their respective cities, paid in full. The order for each build list was chosen at random, and the same was done to determine which units would be placed on the map when deploying initially.

Next up: Starting the turn properly...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Was going to sugges tyou could extend the political phase to get some more interesting things going! Figure you could give each country an 'auto' for the card they were going to play to make it even so the turn isn't a bust? That makes things more interesitng from a gameplay perspective and also since everyone gets to do it it doesn't effect balance

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Was going to sugges tyou could extend the political phase to get some more interesting things going! Figure you could give each country an 'auto' for the card they were going to play to make it even so the turn isn't a bust? That makes things more interesitng from a gameplay perspective and also since everyone gets to do it it doesn't effect balance

There's no way this game is balanced to begin with, and I think it at least highlights the necessity of spending cash to be first to play cards

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Fair. I'd still think that it's okay to give the rest of the countries a 'freebie' to go!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Initiative/Weather/Impulse

Reinforcements Phase

China deploys the two shattered units in Nanking, as well as a cavalry division in Shanghai.

The UK deploys the HMS Glasgow in London, the HMS Sheffield in Hull, finishes the first half of the HMS Penelope and the HMAS Perth, and deploys the HMS Aurora in Edinburgh.

France finishes the first half of the Strasbourg and the Richelieu.

Germany deploys Von Bock's HQ in Berlin.

Italy deploys the Archimedes in Taranto.

The Soviet Union deploys a 4-3 Infantry Corps in Gorky.

USA deploys the USS Salt Lake City in San Diego.

Lending Resources Phase

Germany has an alliance with Finland and will receive 1 resource from them.

Japan and USA have a treaty; USA gives 2 resources and 2 oil for 1 Japanese build point.

All other nations receive or send resources and oil to their parent/controlling nation.

Initiative Phase

The Fascists have a +2, Communists have a +1, Democracies have a +0.

The rolls are 10(+2), 8(+1), and 10. Only the Fascists and Communists can demand a re-roll, neither side will ask for it. The Fascists will go first, Democrats second, and Communists third.

Determining Weather

There is a +0 DRM to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 9.

It is now:

Arctic: Fine
North Temperate: Fine
Mediterranean: Fine
North Monsoon: Storms
South Monsoon: Fine
South Temperate: Fine

Action Phase - May/Jun 1936 - Impulse #1 Fascist

Italy will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 0 naval moves.

Japan will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 2 Air Missions, and 0 naval moves.

Germany will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 4 Air Missions, and 0 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

There are no naval combats taking place.

Strategic bombardment

No strategic bombardments take place.

Ground strike missions

No ground strikes taking place.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

Italy moves a motorized unit to Italy proper, and shuffles a lot of units around in Spain. (They have the lowest initiative, hence why they are the ones to control them.) The goal will be to eliminate the southern group, as they are the ones that have decent movement.

In China, Japan advances numerous units and preps for two attacks.

Germany shuffles some units along the western front to better prepare for a Netherlands/Belgium attack.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Japan will attack China's 2-4 Cavalry Corps in open ground with the two adjacent hexes. The attack is a 24 to 2, giving a maximum ratio of 10:1 for a +20 modifier. Japan will not flip the HQ, and will attack on the Assault table. The 2d10 roll is an 11, increased beyond the maximum 23. The Cavalry Corps is eliminated, all of Japan's units remain face-up. The Japanese 8-3 will occupy its location.

On the eastern side of the line, Japan will attack the 1-1 Garrison Division from both the 6-2 and 6-3 unit across the river. The end result is a 6 to 1 ratio for a +12 DRM to the combat roll. China will defend on the Blitz table. The roll is 11, increased to 23. The Garrison unit is eliminated, all of Japan's units remain face-up. The 6-2 Militia unit will move into the hex.

Air rebases

The two Japanese aircraft south of Peking rebase south, closer to the frontline.

Italy rebases the Spanish Nationalist aircraft just east of Madrid.

Reorganization

No reorganization takes place.

Next up: Impulse #1 - Democrats

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
First blood to the IJA this round. They're minor units, but it's still ones that the Chinese Naitonalists will have to replace and that can be open spots in their lines for exploitation. Particularly since the IJA units weren't flipped.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's almost like ya'll are forgetting that the US deliberately made a treaty with a certain Iberian Peninsula nation the political turn before a possible civil war breaks out :eng99:

Please, I can't even keep up with events in one world :v:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Jul/Aug 1936 - The Spanish Civil War

The units in question:

Nationalists

Republicans

What's up with all the duplicate ships here? Not just the Republican/Nationalist sides having the same list, but each list having duplicate Espaņa, Canarias, and Libertad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

What's up with all the duplicate ships here? Not just the Republican/Nationalist sides having the same list, but each list having duplicate Espaņa, Canarias, and Libertad.

I believe the idea is that, since ships can be captured, they erred on the side of the ships having counters for both sides in that event. Or because I fluked into doing it correctly where you roll for each ship to determine which side the crew joins at the start.

Also, some ships are duplicates because the Modules Cruisers in Flames and Ships in Flames added new boats with different stats (and you have to use the expansion ones instead of the OG versions)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On that note Siam should probably only have one of the Sri Ayudhya.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pirate Radar posted:

On that note Siam should probably only have one of the Sri Ayudhya.

True, true.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #1 Democrats

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

The Commonwealth will choose to Pass.

France will choose to Pass.

China will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 0 naval moves.

The USA will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 4 Air Missions, and 0 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

Spain, controlled by the US, shuffles units around in order to protect their main port and prevent the nationalists from overrunning the 1-3 Territorial unit that was there previously. The Militia unit in Vigo moves eastwards.

Without being able to strike back at full power, even a 6 to 1 initial attack against the 1-3 Division east of Suchow turns into a 3 to 2 attack... (6 halved to 3 for Chinese attacking, halved to 1.5 for attacking across a river)

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

The Spanish I-16 rebases to the port city.

Reorganization

Next up: Impulse #1 - Communists

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #1 Communists

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

The Soviet Union will choose to Pass.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

None.

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now. The next weather roll has a +0 DRM. The Impulse Track increases by 1.

Next up: Impulse #2 - Fascists

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #2 - Fascists

Weather

There is a +0 DRM to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 1.

It is now:

North Monsoon: Fine

Action Phase

Italy will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 0 naval moves.

Japan will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 2 Air Missions, and 0 naval moves.

Germany will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 4 Air Missions, and 0 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

Spanish Nationalists advance on the Territorial unit and will attempt an 8 to 2 attack later in the phase. The resource is a particularly valuable location...

Germany moves a pair of units.

Japan strengthens the eastern front via slow movement.

And cuts off the weaker Chinese units attempting to withdraw (which happened because even partially surrounding units causes movement problems, as far as I understand it in the rules regarding Zones of Control) Its a notable sacrifice in the event the attack somehow flubs but... it doesn't look like it would be the case. The Warlord unit, staying within 4 hexes of Peking, is going to attempt to protect the resource against the Partisans.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

The Spanish will attack the territorial unit as a 8 to 2 ratio attack, due to the defender's value being double in mountainous terrain. They will choose to defend on the Blitz table. The 4 to 1 DRM is a +8. They cannot afford to flip the HQ unit (as they would immediately be a target for the Republican unit in Cartegena.

Had the terrain NOT been Mountains, I would've flown the I-16 to add an extra 1, but since it is halved, it wouldn't round up (afaik), thus providing no support. The 2d10 combat roll is a 12, increased to 20 on the Blitz table which is a /* | B. The Nationalists lose the 1-3 Blue Division, the 2-3 Militia unit is flipped face down. The Republican territorial unit is shattered, but since they don't have a path to a friendly city with a deploy box, they are eliminated. (I believe I am doing it right - corrections welcomed).

In China, the Japanese set up a massive attack against two Chinese units for a 31 to 6 ratio attack. China will choose to defend on the Assault table, as there's a higher chance for Japan to lose troops or flip face down. The combat DRM for a 5 to 1 ratio is +10. The 2d10 roll is 11, increased to 21 for a % / 1S. Half of the Japanese units are flipped face-down, one Chinese unit is eliminated outright, and the other is eliminated for being unable to trace a path back to safety as per the retreat rules.

The 3rd flipped unit is the Marines under the 8-3 Infantry Corps.

Air rebases

The Spanish Chirri squadron rebases to Valencia.

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now.

Next up: Impulse #2 - Democrats

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #2 Democrats

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

China will declare a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited land moves, unlimited land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 0 naval moves.

The USA will declare a Combined Impulse. They will have 4 land moves, 2 land attacks, 7 Air Missions, and 3 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

The Republicans move forces into the Western Mediterranean Sea, occupying boxes 2 and 4 (Which ends up costing 2 naval moves since the group split)

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

None.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

REINFORCE THE LIIIIINE!!

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now.

Next up: Impulse #2 - Communists

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 10, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Were the units the Chinese lost good ones or just speedbumps? And did the Japanese lose more by having good units flipped that they can't use for the rest of the turn?

Just trying to get a feel in the game for what's a good result/bad result on things.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Were the units the Chinese lost good ones or just speedbumps? And did the Japanese lose more by having good units flipped that they can't use for the rest of the turn?

Just trying to get a feel in the game for what's a good result/bad result on things.

They were on the better side of China's available units, and their cost/build times aren't bad, so getting them back in action won't be a huge problem. As for the Japanese, only the worst units were flipped, but the issue of attacking across a river is creeping up again, on top of supply lines getting trickier. For example, they can't simply bust through the open hexes west of Nanking as the supply lines wouldn't reach that far. Getting Nanking and Chengchow are, essentially, necessary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #2 Communists

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

None.

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now. The next weather roll has a +0 DRM. The Impulse Track increases by 1.

Next up: Impulse #3 - Fascists

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #3 - Fascists

Weather

There is a +0 DRM to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 4.

It is now:

North Monsoon: Rain

Action Phase

Italy will declare a Combined Impulse. They will have 3 land moves, 1 land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 1 naval moves.

Japan will declare a Combined Impulse. They will have 3 land moves, 1 land attacks, 4 Air Missions, and 2 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

Japan sends the AMPH/TRS units to Hiroshima to transport them next turn.

They also send a fleet into the China Sea to prevent any interceptions...

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

The Chirri Squadron attacks the units in Cartagena, the I-16 will intercept it.

The Nationalists are at +1 on the air combat chart, while the Republicans is at -1. The USSR air combat roll is 11, which clears through the Nationalist plane. The Nationalists' 2d10 air combat roll is 7, which aborts the I-16 fighter. The Chirri squadron then bombs the infantry unit in the hex (as the I-16 is already flipped for being aborted). The Infantry unit is flipped on a 2 or less. The 1d10 roll is a 1 - the infantry unit is flipped.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

The Nationalists move units closer to Cartagena, grabbing the resource on the way. Italy sends their transport back to West Africa.

Germany moves Finnish troops to the border with the Soviet Union, V. Bock towards the French border, and the Finnish guards to be transported.

Japan shuffles units towards Nanking.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None

Air rebases

The Japanese aircraft in China rebase closer to Nanking.

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now.

Next up: Impulse #3 - Democrats

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #3 Democrats

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

China will declare a Naval Impulse. They will have 0 land moves, 0 land attacks, 1 Air Mission, and 1 naval moves.

The USA will declare a Combined Impulse. They will have 4 land moves, 2 land attacks, 7 Air Missions, and 3 naval moves.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

China will sortie its meager fleet and attempt to sink Japanese convoys in the China Sea.

Naval combat

China flips the Ying Swei, a 1d10 roll of 2 or less is required to find the Japanese ships. The roll is a 10. Japan rolls a 10. Neither side finds the other.

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

None.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

USA shifts a Republican unit to take advantage of the doubled defense in the mountainous terrain and the halved strength when attacking across a river.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

The turn cannot end now.

Next up: Impulse #3 - Communists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jul/Aug 1936 - Impulse #3 Communists

Weather

It is still:

Action Phase

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None.

Air rebases

None.

Reorganization

Next up: Impulse #4 - Fascists