Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
World In Flames: Days of Decision III Hyper Ultra Mega Tournament Edition

Complex, annoying, befuddling, bloated, and so many other definitions could be applied to World in Flames, yet for all its warts, it has a delightful charm to those of us who enjoy pushing cardboard counters across oversized maps accompanied by wild dreams of invading Panama as Italy, or nuking Madagascar after they closed their borders to the new virus du jour. World in Flames, to my knowledge, never actually ends when its supposed to, it just peters out or gets called because one of the major powers is eliminated. It doesn't help that, without the "expansion" that is Days of Decision, you start at the open of World War 2 in Europe, making it near impossible to change the status quo. With the module, however, one can make radical changes to the world, and play out wars that wouldn't normally be seen in a "normal" playthrough. This also allows for far more units to see the light of day, and for people to root for more participants.

With that said, I would be remiss to mention that I don't fully grokk all of the rules, at all times. Errors may occur, but I hope that people following with more experience than I will be willing to share and correct. At worst, we won't be able to go back in time to fix the issues that arise, but otherwise it'll be retracted and fixed so that "proper" play can flourish as it was intended. And since I've barely even touched this game, and Days of Decision 3 is kinda-sorta klugded together, I do have some house rules I'll be applying to level the field so that the obvious USA-hyper production capacity doesn't ramp up immediately, and makes the differences in ideologies a little more interesting (those who's to say fun, right?!)

Days of Decisions III adds a whole political mode, which we'll see later, and I've expanded on it because of some shameful omissions, as well as a lack of options for certain players. Although I couldn't radically add things, I think I've put in enough to make things interesting.

So with a lot of rules and things to cover, which can be boring, I'm just going to open up with images of the game at start and the game in progress. As I come across stuff, it can be expanded upon. There's a lot to write about, regardless, so let's make it gameplay!

It is January/February of 1936 - all of the Major Powers are alive and well.

Italy is currently at war with Ethiopia. Ethiopian forces are controlled by the Democracy ideology; Ethiopia is un-aligned and treated as a neutral minor country. Communist China and Nationalist China are not at War; the Communist side controls ChiCom.

The USA, China, Commonwealth, and France are Democratic nations, at peace.
Germany, Japan and Italy are Fascist nations, only Italy is at war.
The Soviet Union is a Communist nation, and at peace.

No elections have been held yet (although this will likely be moot for some nations soon enough...)

The storms of war are brewing....

Rules Posts

Teams/Advisors

Heroes All

Banana Man [1/5 Cavalry Divison]: Eliminated Sep/Oct 1938 while attacking in Manchuria. Killed: Manchukuoan Harbin Militia.

By popular demand posted:

Never forget that brave final charge!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lucky Chits

Want to have your name in the playthrough? Want to cheer as your Yak-9D crashes and burns in the deserts of Ethiopia? Want to laugh at the Surcouf being sunk by a P-26? Why not toss your hat in and have your hopes of surviving until the end crushed.

Humbug Scoolbus

ETA: 1940

bunnyofdoom

ETA: 1942

MrYenko

ETA: 1937

Banana Man

Current Location: Vladivostok/Manchurian Border

That Italian Guy

ETA: 1938

Evil Imperial

ETA: 1942

Neophyte

ETA: 1937

Alikchi

Current Location: Norfolk

Serpentis

Current Location: Hull repair pool

Brettbot

ETA: 1940

Kangra

Current Location: North-east of Canberra.

Hypnobeard

ETA: 1939

Teams/Advisors

Due to the nature of World in Flames (with expansions/modules) is that it splits the Allies into two distinct groups, the Democracies and the Communists. As you might expect, this makes world domination just a tad bit harder when the US/UK/France need to beat down Germany, while also making sure that the Soviet Bear doesn't get to run amok. Numerous minor nations will also take to fighting, some in rather unique circumstances (Spanish Civil War, Italo-Ethiopian War, and others that I encourage with cards.)

So, do you think you have some good ideas for a nation's future? Why not choose a side [or nation!] to support and help out, and prevent me from doing more obvious choices.

If that sounds appealing, you should consult some of the below images, as these will be future decisions for you and your side of choice!

Chinese Cards

Commonwealth

French Cards

German Cards

International (All players/Common) Cards

Italian Cards

Japanese Cards

Soviet Cards

USA Cards

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 19, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Rules Stuff That May Not Be In The Books (RSTMNBITB)

The last time this game was played on the forums, the formula used was (x/20th of 1 Oil):

Carrier Plane = 1/20th
Convoy/Tanker = 1/20th
Submarine/Mini-sub/Frogmen = 1/20th
Cruiser/Destroyer/other = 1/20th
Battleship/Battlecruiser/Carriers = 2/20th
Land-based (2-turn) Aircraft = 1/20th
Land-based (+3-turn) Aircraft = 2/20th
Motorized/Armored/Mechanized Divisions = 2/20th
Motorized/Mechanized Corps = 3/20th
Armored Corps = 4/20th
Infantry HQ = 5/20th
Armored HQ = 6/20th

Additionally, fractions are rounded down, to lessen bookkeeping AND you can pay via saved oil and oil that your nation has access to on the map. Certain modifiers exist, such as using imported oil halves its value (If you need 1 oil to reorganize units in Britain but are only importing oil from the US, it would cost 2 imported oil to cover the cost)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 5, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jan/Feb 1936 - Political Phase

It is the Political Phase of Jan/Feb 1936, the initiative track is pre-set for this turn and no bidding may be attempted.

The Initiative track is:

Germany
Italy
Commonwealth
France
Soviet Union
Japan
USA
China

Since bogging things down immediately with feedback from the thread isn't conducive, I asked a discord server to provide some helpful nudging towards nation's actions, the following is somewhat of the result...

Germany plays IPO3 - Minor Alliance. This allows them to attempt to create an alliance with a minor country. (One discord poster suggested this, and the target being Thailand - this was changed for a set of 10 random, closer, minors - the random selection choosing Finland.) The d10 roll is 10, modified to a 9 (10 on OG roll + 5 for willpower - 1 for initiative - 5 for distance on PM chart). A 1 or greater is needed. Finland is now allied with Germany, all possible units are placed on-map - Germany agrees to add their remaining troops to their force pool. The USA rolls 1d10 to determine if they will add a US Entry Chit against them, they need a 4. The 1d10 roll is 4, 1 US Chit is added against Germany.

No end of political phase die may be rolled.

It is now Italy's turn, they play IPO1 - New World Order. This allows them to attempt to leave their ideology (This was the 2nd discord suggestions). As Italy is deeply entrenched within Fascism, as a Dictatorship, they are only able to move a total value of 7 (8 modified by their Initiative [2] to 7), changing them to a Paternal Monarchy. While this is not enough to stop being a Fascist nation, they are far closer to being neutral at this moment. The end of political phase die roll is 8, politics continue.

It is now the Commonwealth's turn, they play IPO3 - Minor Alliance. They will attempt to ally the Netherlands. The 1d10 roll is 5 modified to a 0 (5 + 3 willpower - 3 for initiative position - 5 for distance on the PM chart). Because the modified roll is NOT more than 0, the alliance is not completed but they do not have to pay the cost of the card as a result. The EoPh roll is a success on a 2 or less. The roll is 5.

It is now France's turn, they play FR0 - Increase Political Effectiveness. They pay $5 to increase their PE by 1. The EoPh roll is successful on a 3 or less. The roll is 3. The Political Phase is over.

In future turns, Major nations will be able to "Activate" minor nations, allowing them to push the nation in question towards, or away, an ideology. Due to time constraints and a lack of an original design document from AGD's offices, I haven't attempted to give all of the minor nations I've added to the game a national willpower or their own attitudes towards every other nation - its a complicated mess that maybe I'd work on for a 2nd go around, or if AGD paid me. Either way, the additional nations are important to help nail down who exists and who is on who's side.

After the political phase is over, it is now on to the regular World in Flames turn sequence, starting with:

Reinforcement Phase

It is Jan/Feb, all force pools have their 1936 forces added, no new units are deployed as they are all being built.

Lending Resources Phase

No major countries are lending resources.

Only Germany has an alliance with a minor country (Finland) and will receive 1 resource from them.

Japan and USA have a treaty; USA gives 2 resources and 2 oil for 1 Japanese build point.

Initiative Phase

The Fascists have a +2, Communists have a +1, Democracies have a +0.

The rolls are 6, 6, and 5. Only the Fascists and Communists can demand a re-roll, neither side will ask for it.

Determining Weather

There are no modifiers to weather, the 1d10 roll is a 7.

It is now:

Arctic: Snowing
North Temperate: Snowing
Mediterranean: Storms
North Monsoon: Fine
South Monsoon: Storms
South Temperate: Fine

Action Phase - Jan/Feb 1936 - Fascist Impulse 1

No declarations of war are made by the Fascists.

Germany will choose to Pass.

Italy will choose a Naval Impulse. They will have unlimited Naval moves, 2 air missions, 0 land moves, and 0 land attacks.

Japan will choose a Naval Impulse. They will have unlimited Naval moves, 2 air missions, 0 land moves, and 0 land attacks.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

Italy moves convoys into the Mediterranean all the way to eastern Africa.

Japan transports an artillery unit and an infantry corps to Port Arthur. The transport and AMPH unit are flipped face down.

Naval combat

There are no naval combats taking place.

Strategic bombardment

No strategic bombardments take place.

Ground strike missions

No ground strikes taking place.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

The units in Port Arthur have already debarked.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

No land combats have taken place.

Air rebases

Japan uses 2 air missions to rebase a Ki-10 and D1A2 to Pyong Yang.

Reorganization

No reorganization takes place.

Action Phase - Jan/Feb 1936 - Communist Impulse 1

It is still:

No declarations of war are made by the Communists.

The Soviet Union will choose to Pass.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Air rebases

None.

Reorganisation

Action Phase - Jan/Feb 1936 - Democratic Impulse 1

It is still:

No declarations of war are made by the Democratic nations..

The United States of America will choose to Pass.

The Commonwealth will choose to Pass.

France will choose to Pass.

China will choose a Land Impulse.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

China moves units from TianShui and TungKwan in order to surround Sian.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Due to the weather, China will not attempt an attack.

Air rebases

None.

Reorganisation

It is the 3rd side's end of Impulse 1, the Impulse track moves 3 spaces due to the weather...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wild. So how much control over stuff like production and research do you get in this?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I went cuckoo one day and purchased the 9’x24’ map for this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pirate Radar posted:

Wild. So how much control over stuff like production and research do you get in this?

Production!

Each major nation, and some minor powers, have factories, split in between two categories (Blue and Red, more on this later). These use resources identified on the map, as well as oil, in order to generate what the game calls "Build Points". This represents a nation's capacity to turn raw material into weapons of war. Then, a nation uses those Build Points (BPs) to produce units, each of which is assigned either a cost or a duration, most often both.

Let's take Japan, as an example. Below, we can see that Japan will have the following additions to their Force Pool at the start of 1937. This includes such units as Marines, Infantry, a Flak unit, an HQ unit, and so forth, not to mention the various military ships and aircraft.

When added to the force pool, shown below, the player selects a unit type to add to the production chart. There is, however, one large caveat, the player doesn't get to select the SPECIFIC unit within that type. As an example, there are 2 CVLs available to begin building (the #2 below the unit chit represents how many are in the pool).

In this instance, it could either be the IJN Chiyoda or the Shinyo. This is important to recognize as there is an option to scrap old units. Normally, when a unit is sunk or otherwise destroyed, it returns to the Force Pool in order to be rebuilt. Some ships, infantry corps, aircraft, and so on have very poor statistics. Imagine a Hawker Hurricane fighting a F-86 Sabre and you have an idea of how one unit could be outmatched by the other. Instead of wasting time, and money, producing a unit that would clearly be defeated by superior enemy technology, you may want to remove it from the force pool altogether, never to be built again. Doing so does risk diminishing your force pool, however, so there is a risk/reward aspect to it.

Once you choose a unit type and are assigned a chit, you then get to choose where you will build it, with the assigned nation's factories listed in its Factories in Flames chart. You'll note that Japan has a LOT of ships in the REPAIR POOL (RP), and some awaiting final construction in the CONSTRUCTION POOL (CP). Others still are being built, such as 3 cruisers in various stages of completion, one carrier's first stage, and the nearing-completion Zuiho. Each of these are on the "FREE" track as they have been paid for in full. You may choose to pay a portion of a units cost, but require to finish payment before or as it finished, otherwise production cannot continue. Costs with naval units are represented by a X/X formula. The former number is the first time you build the ship, representing building the hull (among other things), while the second value is the cost for the rest. The number in a crude-looking clock is the number of turns the unit must start away from completion. The Zuiho, for example, has three more turns before being capable of being deployed.

The module I use also has some handy-dandy stuff like a build point calculator, here seen being 5 (10 total resources, 10 factories [the rest simply don't generate BPs] and a production multiplier of 0.5). This isn't an exact number since I haven't marked the Lent or Received due to the ongoing trade with the US, but its representative nonetheless.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AARP LARPer posted:

I went cuckoo one day and purchased the 9’x24’ map for this game.

:aaa:

Not sure I could ever spend the money for it, but it'd be great for a bunker or hangar wall with magnetized pieces!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:aaa:

Not sure I could ever spend the money for it, but it'd be great for a bunker or hangar wall with magnetized pieces!

Once a year it goes on sale for $50. I think the first two weeks of January, but I'm not sure. Yeah, I was planning on a giant wall map...thing... but it never happened. : (

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AARP LARPer posted:

Once a year it goes on sale for $50. I think the first two weeks of January, but I'm not sure. Yeah, I was planning on a giant wall map...thing... but it never happened. : (

What the shipping on something like that?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
$40 or so from Australia : (

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Action Phase - Jan/Feb 1936 - Fascist Impulse 2

Weather

There is a +1 modifier to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 6.

It is now:

Mediterranean: Rain

Italy will choose a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited Land moves, 1 air mission, and unlimited land attacks.

Japan will choose a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited Land moves, 2 air missions, and unlimited land attacks.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Italy will attempt a ground strike with the SM.81 near Asmara against the Ethiopian forces in Addis Ababa.

The weather is Rain, the Tactical Bombing factor (bottom left of the Pipistrello) is halved to 1. The dice rolls are 8 and 10, neither unit is hit. The aircraft is flipped face down.

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

All nearby eligible Italian units move adjacent to Addis Ababa.

Japan moves two units from Port Arthur on hex towards the Chinese border.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

No units debark.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Italy attacks Addis Ababa from the two adjacent hexes. The Italians have 17 factors against 4 Ethiopian factors. Ethiopia is doubled to 8 for defending in a mountain hex. The initial 2 to 1 ratio provides a +4 to the 2d10 combat roll. Italy will flip Badoglio's HQ to provide a +1. It is raining, providing a -2 to the attack. Addis Ababa is a city, further providing a -1 to the attack. The final DRM is a +2. Ethiopia will defend on the Assault table.

Italy rolls a 16, increased to 18. -/1: Italy flips all participating units, Ethiopia loses the Addis Ababa Militia unit.

Air rebases

Japan uses 2 air missions to rebase a Ki-10 and D1A2 to the Chinese border.

Reorganization

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AARP LARPer posted:

$40 or so from Australia : (

That's not so bad... considering I paid twice that for books from France.

Also, game related, but I'm sure there's something I don't quite understand with Italy in Ethiopia regarding its supply situation, but I refuse to believe that Ethiopia has NO ROADS, despite the fact that Italy famously drove into the capital with an absurd motorized column as a show of force and prestige to Ethiopians.

Ethiopia was also very luck not to lose more troops, and Italy can say the same. Though they have the divisions tagging along to throw away, should losses occur.

(Also thank you Advanced Squad Leader for helping me learn that)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 12, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
For anyone currently on the fence about whether or not they would want to offer suggestions, see below:

Also, question for current readers. Do you prefer, for this thread, to have text above or below the relevant image?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jan/Feb 1936 - Communist Impulse 2

It is still:

No declarations of war are made by the Communists.

The Soviet Union will choose to Pass. (They have no desire to shore up any borders and Communist China is effectively surrounded for the moment.)

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Air rebases

None.

Reorganisation

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Give me a US P-38 squadron and modernize it to P-51s when they show up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Give me a US P-38 squadron and modernize it to P-51s when they show up.

So I had to learn VASSAL to add the name up top because it didn't come by default...

We'll see the P-38E in 1940(!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jan/Feb 1936 - Democratic Impulse 2

It is still:

No declarations of war are made by any Democratic nation..

The United States of America will choose to Pass.

The Commonwealth will choose a Naval Impulse. They will have unlimited Naval Moves, 3 air missions, and no land moves/attacks.

France will choose a Naval Impulse. They will have unlimited Naval Moves, 2 air missions, and no land moves/attacks.

China will choose to Pass.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

France and the UK move convoys everywhere to be able to transport resources and oil for later building point conversion. Imagine seeing like, 18 different shots of convoys moving into various sea zones.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Haille Selassie decides to go out in a blaze of glory. Any kills here will hurt Italy, who will need to rebuild them, wasting precious BP they do not have to spare, ever.

The attack is 2 to 8, for a 1:4 ratio. The base modifier for the combat is -4. It is raining, for another -2. All three Italian units are flipped face down for a +6. The final DRM is 0.

The 2d10 roll is... a 6. Haile Selassie's HQ unit is eliminated.

Air rebases

None.

Reorganisation

There is no possibility for an end of the turn. Next time, Fascist Impulse 3.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Never forget that brave final charge!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I'll take command of a US Marine infantry unit, if you don't mind!
Also can you explain the "Fascist Impulse" table? I assume it's some sort of ticking clock to encourage belligerence/invasions?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brettbot posted:

Also can you explain the "Fascist Impulse" table? I assume it's some sort of ticking clock to encourage belligerence/invasions?

Turns, Actions, Impulses

Impulses fall within regular play per turn, and is a direct consequence of who wins initiative and what order they choose to take. Each year is divided into 6 turns, each representing a two-month period of time, while impulses are the representation of time passing within those two months. Lastly, actions comprise the various things one does (or doesn't) do in those impulses.

In this game's first turn, the Fascist (Axis) forces won the initiative and thus are allowed to go first, should they choose. They did, so they are the first Impulse. However, every faction gets a first Impulse, so:

IMPULSE 1
Weather > Faction 1 > Faction 2 > Faction 3. [Determine if Turn Ended]

If the turn didn't end:

IMPULSE 2
Weather (Modified by last weather check) > Faction 1 > Faction 2 > Faction 3 [Determine if Turn Ended]

and so forth.

The Days of Decision 3 Impulse track offers a LOT more turns, and it will likely come down to all turns passing as everything has fought or exhausted its capabilities, but on the flip side Weather, especially bad weather in colder months, can drastically shorten it.

Looking at the Impulse Tracker posted earlier, we can see there's a Maximum of 28 impulses, which is double what World in Flames normally has. That is significant, but keep in mind that bad weather could affect how many overall impulses you have. If I roll a 12 (or greater) on the next weather, it will add a +3 to the Impulse # change, going from Impulse Track 4 to 8. Warm months and good rolls will only move the needle by 1, giving almost a guaranteed minimum of 8 impulses for each side. And since World in Flames (+DOD) is huge, you'll definitely want the chance to fight with everything and everyone... so long as you can pay the Oil tax.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can you make me a Canadian squadron of any kind?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

USS Enterprise should be in the latter stages of construction. Put my name on top of the fightingist ship in the US Navy, please.

:black101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Jan/Feb 1936 - Fascist Impulse 3

Weather

There is a +1 modifier to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 6.

It is now:

Italy will choose to Pass.

Japan will choose a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited Land moves, 2 air missions, and unlimited land attacks.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

None

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

Japan moves the two units near Port Arthur further towards the Chinese border.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

No units debark.

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

None

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

Both other factions will also choose to Pass, so I'll just skip all the paperwork and go to the end of the turn stuff! (Italy could not have captured Addis Ababa as none of the adjacent units are Face Up (Only Face Up units can move, face down units must sit around and get beat on).

End of Turn Phase

Several steps need to be taken before we can move on to March/April. First is Partisans

Partisan Phase

On the left, we have a table we roll on to determine where Partisans could appear. Green countries only have Partisans appear if they are occupied. Red countries can always have Partisans appear. Partisans also start out as rather puny, ineffective fighting forces, but slowly become something that can, at the very least, survive a round or two of combat.

The Partisan 1d10 roll is a 5. The only one with all Greens...

If any other number had been rolled, we would then check for Partisans based off of the Partisan Number. Each conquering nation's units have a Garrison value (0.5 for Divisions, 1 for Corps/Aircraft, 2 for Armor/special cases)

Note the 20 in China and 3 in Manchuria. China requires 20 infantry divisions within its borders for Partisans to not appear. As you can imagine, the values here can be important manpower draining factors.

US Entry Phase

Ok, I have to state something right away. I'm using house rules in this playthrough, if that wasn't obvious from the custom cards I made (typically the last one or two in a nation's set, but at least a dozen for the international [IPO] cards). One of the rules for merging Days of Decisions 3 and WiF is to triple the US Entry values on the cards. This is, frankly, insane, and in my experience only serves to immediately put USA in a position to start a war, something it wasn't geared towards in 1936. There are also options that can be played against any/all sides, and all nations now have US Entry and Tension pools.

Commonwealth dissolves, then UK goes Fascist, and starts antagonizing Sweden? Well, perhaps the US decides to start embargoing the UK, and the war that wasn't melts under the pressure of a thousand habbakuks patrolling Canadian Waters.

For right now, only Italy has any markers in its pool, and no actions can be taken. For those playing along...

quote:

The only WiFFE US entry options that may be chosen are 1, 4, 11, 13, 16, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, 36, 38, 40, 41, 43, 44, 46 and 50.

Also of note is a rules limitation that makes it so that the US can't start causing concern until Japan is at war with China and another major fascist power is fighting a democratic nation. Additionally, in order to support a democratic nation, it must be at war with a non-democratic power [IE: communist or fascist, or neutral].

Return to Base Phase

This is where the various navies would return to port. Since convoys do not need to return to base, no actions will be taken here. The side that ends the turn leaves for port first, allowing some interceptions despite no longer being a combat phase.

Final Reorganisation Phase

The reorganization phase allows players to flip their units face up again, provided they are 1. In Supply and 2. Pay their oil costs (if applicable). Infantry don't need to pay for Oil, but armor does. You can safely assume which units do and don't cost Oil, but more importantly, it is not simply a "pay 1 oil to reorganize everyone". In fact, there's one very not fun way to do this... You see, in the rulebook I use, it forces you to pay for Oil when an Impulse type is chosen (Naval, Air, Land, Combined) then and there using your saved oil.

The last time this game was played on the forums, the formula used was (x/20th of 1 Oil):

Carrier Plane = 1/20th
Convoy/Tanker = 1/20th
Submarine/Mini-sub/Frogmen = 1/20th
Cruiser/Destroyer/other = 1/20th
Battleship/Battlecruiser/Carriers = 2/20th
Land-based (2-turn) Aircraft = 1/20th
Land-based (+3-turn) Aircraft = 2/20th
Motorized/Armored/Mechanized Divisions = 2/20th
Motorized/Mechanized Corps = 3/20th
Armored Corps = 4/20th
Infantry HQ = 5/20th
Armored HQ = 6/20th

Additionally, fractions are rounded down, to lessen bookkeeping AND you can pay via saved oil and oil that your nation has access to on the map. Certain modifiers exist, such as using imported oil halves its value (If you need 1 oil to reorganize units in Britain but are only importing oil from the US, it would cost 2 imported oil to cover the cost)

The module I'm using has a nice function to track all the units that have used Oil. We can see that Italy had an infantry HQ flipped, as well as a Motorized Corps, and a +3-turn Land-Based Aircraft, for a total of 0.5 total Oil cost. Since the cost isn't above 1, it is rounded down to 0. No oil is required to be used. The same process applies to Japan's transport and amphibious landing unit.

Production Phase

NOW we have some bookkeeping to do. Moreso than usual, and some house rules start to be applied.

First, we have to calculate all of the resources that each major nation gets, and how they will use it for production.

Guess what, there's a chart! And this one is connected to the production value counters to help you out. It doesn't streamline everything however, as it doesn't take into account who is transporting what via convoys, and so on.

To break things down we have the following:

China: They have 11 resources and 14 factories (4 Red, 10 Blue) and their production multiplier is 0.1. They have 1 build point.

Commonwealth:
- Australia: 3 resources and 1 factory (red).
- British Guyana: 1 resource [Not convoyed]
- Trinidad: 1 oil [Not convoyed]
- Burma: 1 oil [Convoyed to India]
- Canada: 5 resources and 1 oil, and 6 factories (5 blue and 1 red).
- Cyprus: 1 resource in Cyprus (sent to England)
- India: 4 resources, and 3 factories (2 blue and 1 red)
- Malaya: 2 resources [sent to India]
- South Africa: 4 resources, and 1 factory (blue) [1 resource is being sent to the UK]
- The UK: 2 resources, and 17 factories (13 blue and 4 red)

The Commonwealth has a build modifier of 0.25. (I don't think you can go below one, and I'm house-ruling it to a minimum of one if you can.)

Australia will have 1 build point.
Canada will have 1 build point.
India will have 1 build point.
South Africa will have 1 build point.
The UK will have 4 build points.

France:
- Algeria: 1 resource [Convoyed to France]
- France: 6 resources and 14 factories (10 blue and 4 red)
- Indochina: 1 resource [Sent to France]
- New Caledonia: 1 resource [Not convoyed]
- Senegal: 1 resource [Convoyed to France]

France has a build point modifier of 0.25. They will have 3 build points.

Germany has 7 resources, 1 oil, and 16 factories (10 blue and 6 red). Finland is sending 1 resource to Germany

Germany has a build point modifier of 0.5. They will have 8 build points.

Italy has 4 resources and 11 factories (8 blue and 3 red).

Italy has a building point modifier of 0.33. They will have 3 build points.

Japan:
- Formosa: 1 resource [Convoyed to Japan]
- Japan: 1 resource, and 14 factories (9 blue and 5 red)
- Korea: 1 resource, and 2 factories (1 blue and 1 red)
- Manchuria: 4 resources, and 2 factories (1 blue and 1 red) [1 resource convoyed to Japan]

Japan receives 4 resources in exchange for 1 build point to the USA. [Trade agreement]

Japan has a build point modifier of 0.33. They send 1 build point to the USA. They will have 2 build points.

Soviet Union has 20 resources, 10 oil, and 31 factories (23 blue, 8 red).

Soviet Union has a build point modifier of 0.1. They will have 3 build points.

United States of America:
- Philippines: 1 resource [Convoyed to Japan]
- USA: 24 resources, 18 oil, and 40 factories (28 blue and 12 red). [1 resource and 2 oil convoyed to Japan]

USA has a build point modifier of 0.05. They receive 1 build point from Japan. They will have 3 build points.

Before I get to production itself, I do need to point out something that is obvious to people who know about the US during WW2.

A nation like America can ramp up very quickly by virtue of a maximum peacetime build point modifier of 0.75. At the current rate, that could take as little as 3 turns and give them 30(!) build points per turn. That's... broken, this early.

Each nation receives money based on their build points as well, which is also out of whack when you consider that the US could just start pumping out factories soon after upping its modifier. Dominating the initiative track is not very hard, with that in mind.

So, I'm going to make it so that the production multiplier card can't be played at will without being at war. It's either that or try some formula where nations spend money based on their ideology:
- Fascists must fully pay for any new units. Their money is two equal, independent amounts (meaning they can pay for units and policies up to their $ amount on hand)
- Democracies must choose to spend their money on units or policies, but cannot do both in the same turn.
- Communists pay for everything from their $ amount. (Essentially, the opposite of the fascists)

If anyone has any other potential options, I'm all ears while I look at building stuff for Turn 1.

Brettbot posted:

Did you want a Corps or a Division? (Divisions are smaller and not nearly as strong/good)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can you make me a Canadian squadron of any kind?

A Hurricane squadron we'll see in 1942

MrYenko posted:

USS Enterprise should be in the latter stages of construction. Put my name on top of the fightingist ship in the US Navy, please.

:black101:

Currently in San Diego and in the process of launching next year.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I’ll snag an early Soviet division if possible

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Banana Man posted:

I’ll snag an early Soviet division if possible

1st Cavalry Division (Divisions are smaller than Corps) currently on the Manchurian border, just north-west of Vladivostok.

(Play and/or influence your cards right and there could be some action here early enough!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Production

Once you've determined everyone's available resources and factories, including losses to strategic bombing, trading, etc. you proceed to build units and move things down the chain. China, our first example, has nothing being built. If they had, any units would be shifted down 1 row. Units that are in the Deploy box are placed on map in the following turn. Units in the CP box can be built (this is for naval units that require 2 production phases), and units in the RP box must be repaired before they can be re-deployed.

As you may have guessed, land units must be built in Factories, while naval units must be built in Ports. There are potential stacking limits to adhere to, so choosing when and where to build something can be important.

China has 1 build point.

China will spend 1 build point to purchase a Cavalry Division in Shanghai.

Australia has 1 build point.
Canada has 1 build point.
India has 1 build point.
South Africa has 1 build point.
The UK has 4 build points.

Every minor will build a convoy, while the UK will purchase the 2nd stage of construction for HMS Furious and HMS Iron Duke

France has 3 build points.

France builds an Infantry Corps in Paris.

Germany has 8 build points.

Germany will build an Infantry HQ unit and an Infantry Corps (Randomly selection picked the Finnish Guards unit!)

Italy has 3 build points.

Italy begins the 2nd cycle for the Archimedes and begins production of the Sparviero aircraft carrier.

Japan has 2 build points.

Japan starts the 2nd cycle for both the Soryu and the Shoho.

Soviet Union has 3 build points.

Soviet Union builds an Infantry Corps in Moscow.

USA has 3 build points.

USA starts the 2nd cycle of the USS Langley and starts repairs on the USS Salt Lake City. (Christ look at all those factories!)

Production Phase is now over.

There are no Conquests completed yet. There are no facilities, factories, or oil destroyed. There is no possible victory.

Jan/Feb 1936 is now officially over. Next post will dive into Mar/Apr 1936 and its political phase. For those interested in suggesting actions for "your" nation, consider checking out the cards. (I'll get a post with more detail on them in the future)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mar/Apr 1936 - Political Phase

It is the Political Phase of March-April 1936.

Each country gains money ($) equal to their build points received in the last production phase.

China has 1$
UK has 18$
France has 3$
Germany has 8$
Italy has 4$
Japan has 7$
Soviet Union has 8$
USA has 13$

Each nation can spend a certain number of bid points, which are used to determine who gets to go first. The formula is BID$ + Bid Modifier = Initiative score. Highest initiative score is 1st, then the rest slot in behind in descending bid value order. 1st place last turn gets a +4 bonus to their bid, so staying on top costs less, or at least forces your opponents to spend more.

Once the initiative positions have been determined we proceed to playing the various political cards. All cards in a nation's card pile are available from the start, as are International cards. However, not all cards can be played without the pre-requisite being completed (see the beige box in the top right).

Above is the current political chart of the major powers, and a number of neutral countries. These countries can be influenced towards a faction, allowing you to gain control of their forces, call on them in times of war, provide resources, and so on. Major nations can forcefully leave their ideology, allowing for Communist England, Democratic Italy, and so on. Also noteworthy is that only Germany, England, France, and the Soviet Union may conquer the world. The others may only control portions of it.

Should anyone wish to suggest a card be played for a specific nation, I invite you to peek at the cards below. Just let me know what the card's "code" is (seen in the upper left box) and I will attempt to work it in. Note that its best to aim for a specific goal so you aren't just wasting money and time. I may veto the truly outrageous ideas, but I want to keep it to a minimum. Lastly, some cards may not be played simply because the turn ended before they had a chance. There's a bonus to your next turn bid to help with that, but we'll get more into that later.

Chinese Cards

Commonwealth

French Cards

German Cards

Italian Cards

Japanese Cards

Soviet Cards

USA Cards

International (All players/Common) Cards

I will be finishing up the political phase in the AM tomorrow.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm using house rules in this playthrough, if that wasn't obvious from the custom cards I made (typically the last one or two in a nation's set, but at least a dozen for the international [IPO] cards).

Times New Roman Empire is inspired, by the way

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Times New Roman Empire is inspired, by the way

I loving hated all the bullshit alliteration ones Australia Game Designs gave.

So, thanks :D

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mar/Apr 1936 - Political Phase

It is the Political Phase of March-April 1936.

Bids are revealed, the initiative for this political phase is:

Commonwealth
Germany
Japan
USA
Italy
Soviet Union
France
China

The Commonwealth will play IPO 27, as the Suppression portion, reducing India's partisan value by 1 (down to 4.) Their PE is reduced by 1. USA automatically adds 1 US Entry chit against the UK. They will activate Iraq, bringing it 1 hex closer to the Democratic ideology. No end of turn die can be rolled for.

Germany plays GE 6, Occupying the Rhineland. They immediately gain control of the resource and 3 factories in that area. The USA rolls 1d10 to determine if they will add 1 US Entry chit against Germany - the roll is a 1. Germany will activate Belgium, bringing them 1 hex closer to Fascism. As there has been 1 card played before this one, Germany will roll for the end of the Political Phase. The 1d10 roll is a 3, the political phase continues.

As GE 6 has a black ID box, it can never be played again.

Japan plays JA 6 - Peking Bridge Incident. They begin a limited war against China (No other countries or factions may join). China's production multiplier increases by 1 column. The USA will automatically add 1 chit against Japan, and will roll for another. They will need to roll a 3 or less on a 1d10 roll. The roll is a 9, no additional chit is added. Japan will activate Chile to bring it one hex closer to Fascism. Two cards have been played prior to this one, the EoPh 1d10 roll is a 1, the Political Phase will end.

All sides that paid for bids will receive points next turn according to their Political Effectiveness.

We go to an actual war soon!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 14, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mar/Apr 1936 - Initiative/Weather/Impulse

Reinforcements Phase

It is time to place reinforcements, if any. The only things to move are the US' Yorktown and Vincennes completing their first halves. It is not a new year, so there are no new Force Pool additions. As this will be the first impulse for the Sino-Japanese conflict, Reserves only come out during a nation's respective first impulse. Other Militia and Reserves are added to an at-war nation's force pool.

Lending Resources Phase

Germany has an alliance with Finland and will receive 1 resource from them.

Japan and USA have a treaty; USA gives 2 resources and 2 oil for 1 Japanese build point.

All other nations receive or send resources and oil to their parent/controlling nation.

Initiative Phase

The Fascists have a +2, Communists have a +1, Democracies have a +0.

The rolls are 7, 6, and 6. Only the Fascists and Communists can demand a re-roll, neither side will ask for it.

Determining Weather

There is a +1 DRM to weather, the final 1d10 roll is a 3.

It is now:

Mediterranean: Raining
North Monsoon: Raining
South Temperate: Raining

Action Phase - Mar/Apr 1936 - Fascist Impulse 1

Japan declared war on China. China will suffer from surprise on the first impulse.

Italy will choose a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited Land moves, 1 air mission, 0 naval moves, and unlimited land attacks.

Japan will choose a Land Impulse. They will have unlimited Land moves, 2 air missions, 0 naval moves, and unlimited land attacks.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

Reinforcements are placed for Japan, with units appearing on Formosa, in Korea, Manchuria, and a number of powerful units appearing in Japan itself.

This includes the Imperial Guards unit, and several good Militia units. These will be transported over to China as soon as possible.

Japanese troops cross the border. Peking is already at risk.

Italy moves into Addis Ababa, conquering Ethiopia.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

Next up: Communist Impulse 1

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 15, 2023

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question can I have the American 28th Infantry Division?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosDragon posted:

Question can I have the American 28th Infantry Division?

I can't seem to spot the 28th ID. Because the game is generally at the Corps level, it often leaves out some of the Divisions either for not being famous enough or different enough. I'll peruse some more later, but it may not be possible to find. I'll see if there's any customization I can do for it...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mar/Apr 1936 - Communist Impulse 1

It is still:

The Soviet Union will choose to Pass.

Communist Chinese reserves arrive in Lan Chow. (Just the 1 4-2 Militia unit)

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

None

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

None.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

The turn cannot end yet.

(For the curious, the Soviet Union controls Communist Chinese actions, but Nationalist China produces both units. Communist China gets its supply from cities owned by them. If I had moved CHICOM units across the river and abandoned the city, just for the Nationalists to take Sian well... things would be pretty bad for the Communists. I thought ground movement was doubled in Snow, but apparently not? Its only for Rain, Storms, and Blizzards. Not quite sure why. Either way, the communists are forcing the Nationalists to leave first in order to survive)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mar/Apr 1936 - Democracies Impulse 1

It is still:

The USA will choose to Pass.

France will choose to Pass.

The UK will choose a Naval Impulse. They will have infinite Naval moves, 0 land moves, 0 land attacks, and 3 air missions.

China will choose a Land Impulse. They will have infinite Land moves, infinite Land attacks, 0 Naval moves, and 1 air mission.

China receives a number of troops, mobilized from its reserves, these include 3 Militia units, of average quality, one infantry unit and a garrison unit.

Port attacks

None.

Naval air missions

None.

Naval movement

The UK extends its convoys to include British Guyana and Trinidad for more resources to England.

Naval combat

Strategic bombardment

Ground strike missions

Rail movement

None.

Land movement

There's a trail thing you can activate, but it doesn't help when multiple units overlap. The regular chinese troops in the west return to Tian Shui so that the Communists don't take the city. The Militia unit (and Infantry Corps) in Peking retreat to prevent being destroyed immediately, and also reinforce the line down south, behind the river. Everyone around Sian move East. They must form a defensive line... or else.

Air transport

None.

Debarking

None

Invasions

No invasions take place.

Paradrops

None.

Land combat

Air rebases

None

Reorganization

The turn cannot end yet.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We go to an actual war soon!

Representing all the world's political positions on a Chinese Checkers board is inspired. Why does Venezuela spawn way out there?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
As a policy suggestion, the democratic countries better make drat sure that the right team wins the Spanish Civil War this time around. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Since Italy is moving towards democracy, make me the best Fiat tank in the land! (or a ship if Italy has no Fiat mechanized divisions) :italy: