Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

Hooray! We're back together from collaborating on Wake Me Up (On Christmas Morning)! I'll PM you when I've got my part of the recording done. If it really comes down to it I can finagle my voice into a Steven van Zandt as well, but here's to hoping another male steps up.

Ah hell, I can try to a van Zandt if nobody else is available. Not sure I can do him well, and my timing is always irritatingly off, but I can probably put a take together at least. Worst case scenario you're back to doing it yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Grammarchist posted:

Ah hell, I can try to a van Zandt if nobody else is available. Not sure I can do him well, and my timing is always irritatingly off, but I can probably put a take together at least. Worst case scenario you're back to doing it yourself!

yeah i'm not gonna be able to do patti super accurately either, don't sweat it

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Wrageowrapper posted:

I am so very sorry to everyone. I think I might have gone insane.

:siren: My Song is Under the Tree :siren:
https://soundcloud.com/user-128663089/a-letter-to-santa

This is amazing! Also kinda serial killer-y. It does make that weird off-putting shrine to Santa you have in your synth room make a bit more sense though. Santa might need a restraining order.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

my cat is norris posted:

yeah i'm not gonna be able to do patti super accurately either, don't sweat it

And I can't sing for poo poo in the first place. It's cool.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
It seems like this thread is wholly bereft of discussion concerning a brand new text-to-music generation tool you could be using that the AI Art thread discovered two weeks ago. It's called Suno.ai and it has the potential to rocket this year's Goon christmas album into the loving sun.

But don't take my word for it, here's a little teaser of what's possible (not a Christmas song but it gets the point across):

SCheeseman posted:

Prompt: "rap rock song with chorus "I simply must stop making GBS threads my pants in front of my wife""
https://voca.ro/1mKRVfSMKGqH

Content filters are definitely a thing so you'll have to get creative with how you spell certain words, but you CAN trick it to say "penis" and other super offensive poo poo because phonetics are hella tight and you can get really loose with how sounds are made. It's called Christmas Magic™, bitch!

Here's a quick and easy piece of poo poo that I don't intend to submit for the album but I generated just to show how stupid AND easy this is. These are all custom lyrics that I inserted myself, but if you give it a general idea of what you want and a genre to go for, it can do the whole thing for you if you want!

https://cdn1.suno.ai/2c6b8582-0e93-452b-96c2-18b3428c58db_0.mp4

The genius of this is that after it generates a ~45s to ~1m20s tune for you, you can then continue with that same song and generate additional addendums for it for as long as you want. They can sometimes work well straight back-to-back, but if you have Audacity or any other DAW software it definitely helps to be able to trim and fade continuous segments together. That said, I've personally found that the best songs are either quick and to the point, or completely obtuse and off-the-wall meandering poo poo-shows.

When you sign up (which is FREE) you get 15 song generations to start with and an additional 5 per day, but if you want to throw :10bux: at it you get 250 song generations to play around with and that's already lasted me nearly a week of near constant fuckery.

From the AI Art thread, Brown Moses has written a "How To," and all of this and more will be compiled into a megathread hopefully by this weekend.

Brown Moses posted:

I've put 22 of my best Suno.ai tracks into one playlist having spent way too much of my free time playing around with it. It should give you some ideas about the variety of styles you can produce:
https://soundcloud.com/brown-moses/sets/offcuts-vol-1

Here's a guide on creating music.

There's currently two main way to create music on the Suno.ai website.

Creating Music Based on a Prompt

Under the Create tab you have a single command line for entering a prompt. This can be anything you want, from specific quotes, requests for music in a particular style, themes you want included, etc.

A prompt like "A Beastie Boys song about cheese" will prompt Suno to use music tags associated with the Beastie Boys and create cheese based lyrics in the style of those tags. Often the tags will not be a perfect match, so don't expect to be replicating you favourite artists.

Creating Music Using Create (Custom)

The Create (Custom) tab allows you to enter your own lyrics, or enter any text and ask Suno to generate lyrics based on that text, or just Make Random Lyrics. You can then add tags for the Style of Music, but these do not appear to impact the style of the lyrics generated.

You can then generate your clip, which will be a maximum of 1 minute 20 seconds long, and will generally end early once the lyrics run out. Depending on the pace of the song you generate this can result in songs with lyrics that get cut off when the clip ends.

The 3 dots next to the generated music clip provides two options, Reuse this Prompt, which does exactly that, or Continue from This Clip. Continue from This Clip allows you to extend the song with additional lyrics, either using the same style tags as before, or changing them.

The clips generated from that will have an additional option, Get Whole Song, which adds the new clip to the original clip. You can then continue to add to the merged clips until you have a complete song.

I fully expect that this will open some huge doors for creators in this thread once you start learning how to abuse the gently caress out of suno. I honestly haven't laughed as hard at anything as I have in the last two weeks listening to the insane bullshit that this thing is capable of.

Come visit the AI Art thread's Page 384 with a post by SCheeseman that started it all if you're interested in seeing what this poo poo can REALLY do.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Suno's Worst Give Ever

https://files.catbox.moe/pi4hs0.mp4

Soundcloud link https://soundcloud.com/brown-moses/worst-gifts-ever?si=e8aba735f1c44b5fb1e8b1758ac22049

MY SONG IS UNDER THE TREE

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 30, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry
https://files.catbox.moe/rm4915.mp4
e: oops I forgot to actually follow the rules, please hold while I amend this

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 30, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I fixed it sorry again
https://files.catbox.moe/d6jpqk.mp4
https://soundcloud.com/sharkcheese-890071423/christmas-song-for-gbs

Oh I thought the I was supposed to put that sentence in the song. Oh well, it's better because of it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 30, 2023

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One of the enduring classics of these threads is the 2014 Otamatone version of Auld Lang Syne (not to mention Oh Holy Mouthpiece) so I'm absolutely down with using all the tools available for our annual aural assaults on the holiday.

https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/auldlangsyne.mp3

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm not anyone to dictate what goes on in this thread but hard pass on AI music and album art.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If (IF) we have AI music, it should be sequestered to its own disc.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd be fine with that. This AI stuff is lower effort, lower quality and shouldn't displace those who put actual work in.

Excluding is dumb though. We're on a forum where one of the main art activities is creating pastiches of copyrighted art thrown together in photoshop to make stupid jokes, this is basically the aural equivalent.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 1, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying I personally don't like it and it's not funny to me. I don't understand the fascination with AI art and it's irritating when it permeates into threads I like.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

How about you can use ai to generate the song but you have to reproduce it yourself to be eligible?

Anyways. Here is an album title generated from my mind's eye. Santachrist Superstar

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No Mistletoe, No Kissinger. Also thanks very much for the feedback.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying I personally don't like it and it's not funny to me. I don't understand the fascination with AI art and it's irritating when it permeates into threads I like.
Presumably you have a problem with AI generated anything on principle, that kind of hated for something would suck any fun out of it. That doesn't make it hard to understand why others might enjoy it though, the fascination in this case mostly comes from it's ability to make music out of any lyrics you provide it, so you get this (arguably) funny dichotomy between stupid in-jokes and lyrics about making GBS threads your pants with backing music that (vaguely) resembles a well produced music track. That it's a reminder that capitalism is going to crush us all is easy for me to shrug off at this point, I've been cognizant of that long before this AI stuff was a thing.

sporklift posted:

How about you can use ai to generate the song but you have to reproduce it yourself to be eligible?
That would be the same as exclusion for the most part. Not saying this just as an excuse because I can't make music for poo poo, but because the lyrics I wrote hinge on it being delivered by the AI. It's part of the joke.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 1, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SCheeseman posted:

That would be the same as exclusion for the most part. Not saying this just as an excuse because I can't make music for poo poo, but because the lyrics I wrote hinge on it being delivered by the AI. It's part of the joke.

Yeah I was kinda kidding but I think it would lead to funnier results. I feel it is a slippery slope banning ai songs. This is the Awful Xmas Album after all. I say if there are only a few pepper them in. If there end up being a lot they might warrant their own album.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For one of my previous submissions, I used the old Microsoft novelty app Songsmith. It had very particular and laughably bad approximations of musical genres that I wanted in my track, and then I tinkered with the resulting midi a bit in FL Studio. I also used AI tools to remove vocals for some other songs that I couldn't find instrumentals of (or was too lazy to attempt to recreate from tabs). Tools are great! I draw the line, however, at just feeding a meme prompt to the thing, getting a full song, and submitting it as is.

Working on a Northern Boys thing, by the way. Didn't notice the early deadline this year but should be able to finish it by then.

E: Exactly one AI song about AI would be okay, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Paladinus posted:

For one of my previous submissions, I used the old Microsoft novelty app Songsmith. It had very particular and laughably bad approximations of musical genres that I wanted in my track, and then I tinkered with the resulting midi a bit in FL Studio. I also used AI tools to remove vocals for some other songs that I couldn't find instrumentals of (or was too lazy to attempt to recreate from tabs). Tools are great! I draw the line, however, at just feeding a meme prompt to the thing, getting a full song, and submitting it as is.

One of the big differences between this and AI generated art is prompting with image generators is mostly about supplying a mish mash of words that eke something out of noise, which isn't analogous to any typical art workflow. Lyrics are significant enough part of the song writing process that songwriters often get specific credit for it. Suno.ai lets you straight up supply them and they play a big part in controlling the overall structure of the music.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was looking for inspiration in the history of Santa Claus, Indiana and came across this photo of an early painting of Santa Claus by Emil Strauss.

Dark General Santa was probably less terrifying outside of mid-century newsprint, but he was nevertheless retired in favor of a less scary version, which was later used in postcards for the early attractions in the town. The end product also replaced the cavalry saber for a bugle, hence the circle around the sword in the old article.

Might be some album art potential there. Didn't come up with much inspiration song wise, at least apart from that "History of Santa Claus, Indiana" narrative thing I did years ago.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dude belongs on the side of a van

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Grammarchist posted:

I was looking for inspiration in the history of Santa Claus, Indiana and came across this photo of an early painting of Santa Claus by Emil Strauss.

Which spell is Santa casting here?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Which spell is Santa casting here?

Klaatu Barada NAUGHTY

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Goofin' around led to this. Needs more blingy sparkles probably.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Grammarchist posted:

Klaatu Barada NAUGHTY

We have our album title, ladies and germs.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

sporklift posted:

Goofin' around led to this. Needs more blingy sparkles probably.

I support the Pen and Pixel style.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

All right, Grammarchist and my cat is norris, I have the vocals done. Here's the Audacity project, assuming you use that. I put in a label track with marks to help your timing. It definitely helped mine. Don't worry about emulating the actual voices of the people whose roles you're filling. Both of you sing the word "holidays" and Grammarchist has anything in red in the lyric sheet. If you don't use Audacity, here's the .wav export to sing along with.

EDIT: Also, I've done a bit of remastering and…

:siren: My song is under the tree :siren:
The Sound of Snowmen

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 3, 2023

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

ManiacClown posted:

All right, Grammarchist and my cat is norris, I have the vocals done. Here's the Audacity project, assuming you use that. I put in a label track with marks to help your timing. It definitely helped mine. Don't worry about emulating the actual voices of the people whose roles you're filling. Both of you sing the word "holidays" and Grammarchist has anything in red in the lyric sheet. If you don't use Audacity, here's the .wav export to sing along with.

EDIT: Also, I've done a bit of remastering and…

:siren: My song is under the tree :siren:
The Sound of Snowmen

I'm a bit worried that I gave myself a cold tonight, so I went ahead and made a version with my lines/interjections while I still have a voice. I can try again if needed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G4S9C_VEQDXWSoO4UMv18rwH4PoDrhMD/view?usp=drive_link

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I really like this time of year. It gives me a chance to flex my brain.

I'm almost done with "Santas Elf" a Christmas cover of "Semi Charmed Life"

To do this i have to listen to the song like 1000 times to make it work and in my experience it's not a real song till you cry.

Even as I move the lyrics around to be Christmas themed I still hear the words.

"Feel myself, heading off the ground
I'm scared, I'm not coming down
No, no
And I won't run for my life"

This is the crux of the song, not mine but theirs.

It stabs like a knife. It's a lamenting stanza soaked in the brine of addiction wrapped in 3 minutes of pop perfection. I know what it's like to be prepared to face oblivion instead of change my behavior .

I guess all of this is a rambly thank you to the forums. I don't feel lost or out of place anymore. I don't have to run for my life. I'm ok being me and making things that make me happy.

I suggest you do the same. Action is Magic

Merry Christmas

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

:unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Everyone's submissions are wonderful, and I can't lie, I laughed out loud at the pants making GBS threads example, but I too am going to give the hardest of passes on AI. I want goon music made by goons, and everything that entails. Sure, one AI song specifically about AI would work, but if we fill the albums with this poo poo, then it'll all be worthless.

Maybe use it for backing music if you can't do it naturally or find a karaoke track, but while I can't literally stop you, know that, generally, not many people will be truly impressed or entertained by any effort AI puts into these songs.

Make John Connor music, not Skynet music.

Also, my vote is for Klaatu Barada Naughty (or Nicholas).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Grammarchist posted:

Cry 'Ho Ho Ho!' and Let Slip the Reindeer of the War on Christmas

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, my vote is for Klaatu Barada Naughty (or Nicholas).

Klaustu Barada Nickto?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Empty Sandwich posted:

Klaustu Barada Nick-ho?

:shrug:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I wound up coming up with a stupid track idea instead of an album name.

Army of Darkmas
https://soundcloud.com/genghis-don/...=social_sharing

I also agree that tracks shouldn't be entirely produced by AI in general. I just don't want to gatekeep anyone who wants to experiment with aspects of it as long as long as there's some human element to it. Bring on the Kazuma Kiryu Karaoke energy! Or try to play Silent Night with wiffleballs somehow. It's all beautiful.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

My take is: use AI for the music OR the singing but not both. That's personally how I'd split that baby. I mean, My Name Is WhyZodiac and This Christmas I Intend to Kill Eddie Murphy was brilliant and we'd not have gotten it but for that sort of tool. That was just the singing, right?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2023

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm not opposed to AI helping. I use AI to rip all the vocals off the tracks I use on my song, and I tried to use ChatGPT to help with the lyrics a bit. The problem is that AI does not know how to sing or talk. It can't take a existing song and just transmute it into a Christmas version of the same song that is really doable.

But I'd say if you have all the words or you make all the music and use AI to help, it's still your work with just some help. I don't know how to write music and if I had a way make take my lyrics and have a computer make a song around it, I'd be ok with that.

I'm almost done with my song, I've made a temp track. sounds p good soo far... i mean imma do it again and make the vocals better and take out my breathing, but for a fist pass it think it sounds..... good, the singing wibbles not withstanding. as a first pass i dont mind it. but you have mo better ears so whats should i do to improve?

for this one i really just made sure my gain levels were good as to not sound tooooo loud but im not an audio engineer. i just want my vocals to sound like they belong on the track, not just blasted on top of it

Edit: I think the music needs to be louder

If you go to soundtrap.com and make an account I can add you as a collaborator and you can tweak things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mEFOa-E4kA

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 7, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I'm not opposed to AI helping. I use AI to rip all the vocals off the tracks I use on my song, and I tried to use ChatGPT to help with the lyrics a bit. The problem is that AI does not know how to sing or talk. It can't take a existing song and just transmute it into a Christmas version of the same song that is really doable.

But I'd say if you have all the words or you make all the music and use AI to help, it's still your work with just some help. I don't know how to write music and if I had a way make take my lyrics and have a computer make a song around it, I'd be ok with that.

The song I generated for this thread was entirely my own lyrics, no AI help. The first half of that pants making GBS threads song example earlier in the thread was mostly generated, I just came up with That Line. The second half was made later once suno.ai added the ability to use your own lyrics (e: the version posted is only the first half, before I finished it up).

Suno.ai doesn't give a lot of control, but you can coax it into doing certain things with style/genre prompts as well as syntax in the lyrics like (intrumental), [verse], [chorus] and the like. There's very little control over chords or performances outside of this, though, so a lot of time is just spent pressing the button over and over. That said I can see it getting there, all that data is just as quantifiable as the lyrics are.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 7, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Spent all day yesterday listening through the old classics. There's some real holiday nostalgia in these awful songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's the m-most wonderful time of the year :toot: