Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:toot: Ho ho ho, it's Christmas time! :toot:

Yes, welcome one and all to the 2023 Awful Xmas Music thread! I think the first one was 2009, which by my count makes this.... I don't know, the 14th?

Doesn't matter!

For now, this OP is going to be quick and dirty, like I'm sure a lot of your wonderful submissions will be. I'll add gifs and poo poo later.

This is the time of year where you (yes, YOU!) can and should take some time, and write up some Christmas music. Original, parody, or something entirely different, just do it.

There are but three rules.

Rule the 1st: a proper submission should be accompanied by the words, in bold:

MY SONG IS UNDER THE TREE

Rule the 2nd:
:siren: Make sure your song is downloadable!!! If I had a Christmas present for every time I've had to remind someone to either send me a copy of their song OR make their Soundcloud link downloadable, I'd be just as disillusioned as the girl from Ernest Saves Christmas. Don't disillusion me, goons!

Rule the 3rd:
All tracks must be submitted no later than midnight EST on Dec 15th 2023. Why is this earlier than past years? Because I'll be travelling for Christmas, so I want it ensure everything is good to go before then.

Now, goons, I beg of you... deck my friggin' halls.

Some references to Awful Xmas' past:

Edward Mass posted:

As always, here's a Torrent of the best from 2009-2015 (I'm a bit lazy with regards to making a companion).

Flipperwaldt posted:

:neckbeard:

Here are some links!

Previous threads:
1st: (2009): threadid=3224294 (archived)
2nd: (2010): threadid=3366726 (archived)
3rd: (2011): threadid=3451851 (archived)
4th: (2012): threadid=3516742 (archived)
5th: (2013): threadid=3585618 (archived)
6th: (2014): threadid=3681788 (goldmined)
7th: (2015): threadid=3749494 (goldmined)
8th: (2016): threadid=3797981 (vaulted)
9th: (2017): threadid=3839261 (vaulted)
10th: (2018): threadid=3873186 (active forums, closed)
11th: (2019): threadid=3903086 (active forums)
12th: (2020): threadid=3946206 (active forums)
13th: (2021): threadid=3983685 (active forums)
14th: (2022): threadid=4016414 (active forums)

Downloads
2009-2016 on Rupert's site (Rupert Buttermilk)
2017 on Google Drive (Rupert Buttermilk)
2018 on DropBox (DeathTongue)
2019 on DropBox (Edward Mass)
2020 on Google Drive (Rupert Buttermilk)
2021 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
2022 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
2009-2022 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
◍ BitTorrent:
 ▷ The Best of Goon Christmas 2009-2015 (Edward Mass)
 ▷ Torrents per year duplicating my Google Drive

Playlists
Adnachiel
 ▷ 2009-2019 playlist (659/666 tracks)
 ▷ 2009 Part 1 - 2009 Part 2
   2010 Part 1 - 2010 Part 2
   2011 - 2012 - 2013
   2014 (edgy album art) - 2015 - 2016
   2017 - 2018 - 2019
 ▷ Adnachiel's favorites from 2009-2018

Fawf
 ▷ 2014 (bland album art) - 2020 - 2021

Kruxy
 ▷ A list of Yulelogs

Rupert Buttermilk
 ▷ 2009-2016 on Rupert's site
 ▷ 2020 on SoundCloud (43/61 tracks): here

Flipperwaldt
 ▷ 2021 on SoundCloud (33/47 tracks): here
 ▷ 2022 on SoundCloud (24/43 tracks): here

JossiRossi
 ▷ 2009-2015 on Bandcamp
   (don't pay for these, downloads above are free)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! :neckbeard:

The New Justice Team is already hard at work working on a song about a movie that isn’t about Christmas, but some people associate with the holiday.

And no, it’s not Die Hard, you humorless robots who want to debate about hot dogs being sandwiches.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

:siren: My first two songs are under the tree! :siren:

I worked on them while I was recovering from elbow surgery. I have two more songs planned as well as the fifth Santa Odin story.

Santa Scabies
I've never liked the original. Therefore, I have now written Christmas songs about both Goatse (last year's Kirk's Red Wreath) and now a skin parasite.

Work
For some reason it occurred to me that I should try to do a version of Johnny Cash's Hurt. I was trying to think of how and then it came to me: a mall Santa.

Also, I think Soundcloud makes tracks downloadable by default now. I don't see it as an option. Found it.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 3, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As always, here's a Torrent of the best from 2009-2015 (I'm a bit lazy with regards to making a companion).

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Oh dang it's that time again huh?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really should put my project in motion. Some year.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Here are some links!

Previous threads:
1st: (2009): threadid=3224294 (archived)
2nd: (2010): threadid=3366726 (archived)
3rd: (2011): threadid=3451851 (archived)
4th: (2012): threadid=3516742 (archived)
5th: (2013): threadid=3585618 (archived)
6th: (2014): threadid=3681788 (goldmined)
7th: (2015): threadid=3749494 (goldmined)
8th: (2016): threadid=3797981 (vaulted)
9th: (2017): threadid=3839261 (vaulted)
10th: (2018): threadid=3873186 (active forums, closed)
11th: (2019): threadid=3903086 (active forums)
12th: (2020): threadid=3946206 (active forums)
13th: (2021): threadid=3983685 (active forums)
14th: (2022): threadid=4016414 (active forums)
15th: (2023): threadid=4046379 (active forums)

Downloads
2009-2016 on Rupert's site (Rupert Buttermilk)
2017 on Google Drive (Rupert Buttermilk)
2018 on DropBox (DeathTongue)
2019 on DropBox (Edward Mass)
2020 on Google Drive (Rupert Buttermilk)
2021 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
2022 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
2023 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
2009-2023 on Google Drive (Flipperwaldt)
◍ BitTorrent:
 ▷ The Best of Goon Christmas 2009-2015 (Edward Mass)
 ▷ Torrents per year duplicating my Google Drive

Playlists
Adnachiel
 ▷ 2009-2019 playlist (659/666 tracks)
 ▷ 2009 Part 1 - 2009 Part 2
   2010 Part 1 - 2010 Part 2
   2011 - 2012 - 2013
   2014 (edgy album art) - 2015 - 2016
   2017 - 2018 - 2019
 ▷ Adnachiel's favorites from 2009-2018

Fawf
 ▷ 2014 (bland album art) - 2020
   2021 - 2022 - 2023

Kruxy
 ▷ A list of Yulelogs

Rupert Buttermilk
 ▷ 2009-2016 on Rupert's site
 ▷ 2020 on SoundCloud (43/61 tracks): here

Flipperwaldt
 ▷ 2021 on SoundCloud (33/47 tracks): here
 ▷ 2022 on SoundCloud (24/43 tracks): here
 ▷ 2023 on SoundCloud (27/33 tracks): here

JossiRossi
 ▷ 2009-2015 on Bandcamp
   (don't pay for these, downloads above are free)

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ManiacClown posted:

Also, I think Soundcloud makes tracks downloadable by default now. I don't see it as an option.
I don't see the download option for these tracks. Did they change the layout from the below?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

https://soundcloud.com/genghis-don/...=social_sharing

I haven't missed it!

Soundcloud still had the same permissions option for downloads as far as I could tell. Will have to double check to make sure the flac file is actually available though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you Maniac Clown for your wonderful submissions!

Grammarchist posted:

https://soundcloud.com/genghis-don/...=social_sharing

I haven't missed it!

Soundcloud still had the same permissions option for downloads as far as I could tell. Will have to double check to make sure the flac file is actually available though.

This is great, and I just wanted to say, but I couldn't directly because you don't have PM's, your Columbo Halloween costume was :allears:

Also, I know I say this every year but I'm genuinely going to give it a full and real try to get myself organized enough to put the missing albums up on my site so that it's ALL there.

Last few years, I haven't been feeling myself, but now I'm recovering from covid and hooooooly gently caress, do I need to get back into it all. I need this.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't see the download option for these tracks. Did they change the layout from the below?

Whoops. I found it now.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Let's loving go!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'll maybe participate if I hear some truly wretched submissions.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Yesssss!

Now if I could only remember what I was planning for this year.

I definitely want to do another Pastor Ned Sing-a-Long, I just have to come up with the song.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Grey Cat posted:

I'll maybe participate if I hear some truly wretched submissions.

You heard me "singing," yes?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ManiacClown posted:

You heard me "singing," yes?

Well now I have, lol.
Not all the links people posted were loading on the mobile app.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you Maniac Clown for your wonderful submissions!

This is great, and I just wanted to say, but I couldn't directly because you don't have PM's, your Columbo Halloween costume was :allears:

Also, I know I say this every year but I'm genuinely going to give it a full and real try to get myself organized enough to put the missing albums up on my site so that it's ALL there.

Last few years, I haven't been feeling myself, but now I'm recovering from covid and hooooooly gently caress, do I need to get back into it all. I need this.

Thanks! Hope the rest of the year is good to you and yours. These these threads always make November a little easier to get through. No matter how bleak the world appears I can always think of "Little Mumble Boy" and know that all the Goons down in Goonville will still be singing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

Thanks! Hope the rest of the year is good to you and yours. These these threads always make November a little easier to get through. No matter how bleak the world appears I can always think of "Little Mumble Boy" and know that all the Goons down in Goonville will still be singing.

Thank you so much :glomp: I should really complete the Mumble trilogy.

Sorry... "Blessed Holy Mumble Trinity".

Also, here's a Soundcloud link to most of the 2020 album (every submission that ended up on Soundcloud that year, I mean).

https://on.soundcloud.com/yJXjC

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 3, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I love this tradition! Looking forward to hearing some talented goon music

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I absolutely love goon Christmas tunes, it's one of my favorite things about this season and this forum. I hope many people submit!!!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I love this tradition! Looking forward to hearing some talented goon music

Don't forget the untalented music! That's some of the best.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

Don't forget the untalented music! That's some of the best.

There is talent in properly recognizing and fostering a lack of talent.

Not being able to sing, compose, mix, or record are secondary to the talent of recognizing and developing a good joke.

My favourite almost-meta example of this is 2012's "O Holy Mouthpiece". :kiss:

Also, special request: is there any way, under the umbrella of 'parody', we could get all of these onto YouTube music? I was shocked when I found out that "Chicago? No, Sheboygan...", my 2020 track, was up there. My son kept requesting it through our google home.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 3, 2023

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
how do I, a person who has not made music but who is positively frothing with ideas, make songs on my personal computing device?

what equipment and or computer software program applications do I need?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

how do I, a person who has not made music but who is positively frothing with ideas, make songs on my personal computing device?

what equipment and or computer software program applications do I need?

For extremely basic recording that still gets into the weeds a bit, Audacity is free.

For more involved but still very user-friendly (in general) work, get Reaper.

Reaper is fsr and away my recommendation, because it follows many, if not all, of the normal conventions of recording, both home and commercial, so learning it ALSO pushes you into learning well-known info. Track management, multi-track editor and mixing, all of that stuff. Audacity, while versatile, is meant as more of an audio scratch pad, at least to me. Reaper can do everything Audacity does, and about 1000% more.

That's what I can offer in terms of suggestions for software. When it comes to hardware, recording theory, plug-in management and usage, or mixing help, well, you're best looking to the Musician's Lounge to help out. It's not that I don't know the info, it's just that there's a near infinite amount of it, and it's being added to every day.

When you DO get into looking for plugins, KVR audio is pretty much the gold standard for digital audio plugins. Not just commercial ones, but freeware ones as well. It's a massive database for all things plugin-related.

What's a plugin? It's added functionality to a digital audio workstation (DAW), like Reaper. You can get plugins for all sorts of things, from synths, to guitar amps, to highly-detailed mixing tools. Even some that make 8 bit beeps and boops.

In short, there are two types of plugins:

- generators: these are things that make sounds (pianos, synths, drums, etc)

-effects: these affect your sound (reverb, delay, chorus, flanged, etc)

Keep in mind that many goons ITT are open to collaboration, so that's definitely an option, especially if you're just getting started.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 3, 2023

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

For extremely basic recording that still gets into the weeds a bit, Audacity is free.

For more involved but still very user-friendly (in general) work, get Reaper.

Reaper is fsr and away my recommendation, because it follows many, if not all, of the normal conventions of recording, both home and commercial, so learning it ALSO pushes you into learning well-known info. Track management, multi-track editor and mixing, all of that stuff. Audacity, while versatile, is meant as more of an audio scratch pad, at least to me. Reaper can do everything Audacity does, and about 1000% more.

That's what I can offer in terms of suggestions for software. When it comes to hardware, recording theory, plug-in management and usage, or mixing help, well, you're best looking to the Musician's Lounge to help out. It's not that I don't know the info, it's just that there's a near infinite amount of it, and it's being added to every day.

When you DO get into looking for plugins, KVR audio is pretty much the gold standard for digital audio plugins. Not just commercial ones, but freeware ones as well. It's a massive database for all things plugin-related.

What's a plugin? It's added functionality to a digital audio workstation (DAW), like Reaper. You can get plugins for all sorts of things, from synths, to guitar amps, to highly-detailed mixing tools. Even some that make 8 bit beeps and boops.

In short, there are two types of plugins:

- generators: these are things that make sounds (pianos, synths, drums, etc)

-effects: these affect your sound (reverb, delay, chorus, flanged, etc)

Keep in mind that many goons ITT are open to collaboration, so that's definitely an option, especially if you're just getting started.

holy poo poo that's helpful thank you

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Keep in mind that youtube-to-mp3 websites exist, to allow you to rip any sort of karaoke version, guitar/piano cover of pretty much any song to sing over. The more obscure the source, the less likely an automated copyright strike when you upload the result is. You can do the same for sound effects, like sleigh bells or whatever. There are also websites where you can upload existing music and AI splits it up in music and vocals. Midi versions of varying quality of lots of famous songs can be found if you want to craft something that just rips a melody, chords or a specific drum pattern.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh! Don't forget Freesound.org for any and all free sound desigbln/sfx need.

It's important to note, however, that a number of sounds up there are for educational purposes. The last time I used it, I filtered it so I ended up only with files that have a Creative Commons license that is totally open for anything (I think it's license 0, but it's been a while). That way, you know that everything you use, at least according to the uploader, is good to go.

Obviously, someone could have uploaded some copyrighted sounds, but by and large, CC-0 (again, double-check if that's the level of licensure I mean) is fine.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Keep in mind that youtube-to-mp3 websites exist, to allow you to rip any sort of karaoke version, guitar/piano cover of pretty much any song to sing over. The more obscure the source, the less likely an automated copyright strike when you upload the result is. You can do the same for sound effects, like sleigh bells or whatever. There are also websites where you can upload existing music and AI splits it up in music and vocals. Midi versions of varying quality of lots of famous songs can be found if you want to craft something that just rips a melody, chords or a specific drum pattern.

I noticed the other day that Tuberipper seems to have stopped working for me. One of the other ones I have bookmarked tried to give me an .exe file lol. Any other good ones?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I noticed the other day that Tuberipper seems to have stopped working for me. One of the other ones I have bookmarked tried to give me an .exe file lol. Any other good ones?

I use savemp3.app

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I use savemp3.app

Thanks!!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

If I need to download a video from YouTube I used to use youtube-dl (I think it was called) with the youtube-dlg GUI tacked on but that stopped working and has basically been replaced by Tartube, which works very similarly.

If you need to strip the vocals (or music) from a song there is, as with many things these days, an AI for that and it's pretty good at it.

As far as the recording, everything I've done to date I've done in Audacity.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Yeah I usually write my lyrics based on a karaoke version of a song and just record using that music.

I use an app called unMix that also lets you rip tracks and vocals from a music file.

The kiddo has asked if I try to make The Wednesday Song/Bloody Mary about Christmas so that's where I'm starting this year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Back in my day, if there wasn't a vocal-free version of a song, you just dealt. Or made one yourself :corsair:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i'm horny for christmas

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

i'm horny for christmas

Who isn't?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I put "the Vitruvian Krampus" into Bing AI Image Creator and this was one of the results. I don't know that it's cover material, but it is pretty metal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Pastor Ned is BACK!

:siren:MY 1ST SONG IS UNDER THE TREE:siren:

You're a Mean One, Beelzebub

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

I put "the Vitruvian Krampus" into Bing AI Image Creator and this was one of the results. I don't know that it's cover material, but it is pretty metal.

While this indeed looks cool as poo poo, I'd choose goon art, either legitimately amazing or just funny, over AI any day.

The future is not set!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Canned Panda posted:

Pastor Ned is BACK!

:siren:MY 1ST SONG IS UNDER THE TREE:siren:

You're a Mean One, Beelzebub

Yay! Pastor Ned is back!

In an unrelated note, I came across an actual physical copy of the 1865 Harper's Weekly Christmas Cartoon by Thomas Nast. It's hanging up at the old Santa Claus, Indiana Post Office where volunteers answer letters from children that wind up routed there. The little Union boy angrily tooting his horn, crazy Santa, and General Grant standing atop a pile of decapitated confederates really fill the old post office with Christmas Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

While this indeed looks cool as poo poo, I'd choose goon art, either legitimately amazing or just funny, over AI any day.

The future is not set!

Oh, I was making this fate for myself. I just thought I'd share it.