Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Martials been there for 8 years lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
He got hosed by injuries and played into the ground while he still had em instead of being given a decent recovery, pretty rich trying to pressure him into loving off with anonymous PR instead of letting see out his last few months. Scummy club

quote:

I regularly played injured, remembers Martial. People don't know, I couldn't accelerate during the four months that followed the Covid season. The coach tells me that he needs me, so I play. But, given my game, if I can't accelerate, it becomes very complicated anyway. And I got burned... The coach never bothered to tell the media. Obviously, I ended up getting injured for good and when I came back, finished, I didn't play anymore. I took it very badly, I had a feeling of injustice, you are asked to sacrifice yourself for the team and then you are pushed aside. For me, it's almost treachery, it's everything I hate."

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 11, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure a poo poo flinging battle in the press will do a world of good for Utd. "We want rid of these players we don't like, they're poo poo, please make a good offer", negotiating genius at work.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel like someone will pick Sancho up as long as he doesn't do the full Bogarde and decide to sit out his full contract/try to outlive ten hag

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He gets some game time but is wearing a fluorescent starburst tag with a price on while a market trader stands on the side

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Feel like someone will pick Sancho up as long as he doesn't do the full Bogarde and decide to sit out his full contract/try to outlive ten hag

He's supposedly on like 300k/week which is an awful lot to ask for a guy who now has "disciplinary problems???" circled in red on every scouting report. I'm looking into my crystal ball and seeing a repeat of the Maguire/West Ham stuff from last summer where everybody wanted the deal to happen but the money at Man U was just too good to give up.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

vyelkin posted:

A no quotes article in the Guardian claims Man U want to sell a long list of players: Casemiro, Varane, Sancho, Martial, and Van de Beek, because United need to sell before they can buy now due to FFP. It also notes that selling most of these players will be problematic because they either make huge money or are old or both. And Martial's contract is up this summer so he doesn't have much incentive to leave in January when he could probably get a bigger contract signing somewhere on a free.

i hope those guys refuse to go to saudi arabia

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mila kunis posted:

He got hosed by injuries and played into the ground while he still had em instead of being given a decent recovery, pretty rich trying to pressure him into loving off with anonymous PR instead of letting see out his last few months. Scummy club

He’s probably the player who got hosed the most by every new manager bringing in some stopgap forward. Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Alexis, Falcao, Oghalo, Weghorst, even Ronaldo. He stopped getting consistent games and has never really regained that form

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He could, you know, just leave. He sticks around because no one will pony up for his massive wages. I don’t think he needs any sympathy.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Vegetable posted:

He could, you know, just leave. He sticks around because no one will pony up for his massive wages. I don’t think he needs any sympathy.

why the hell would he give up on that contract

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think that was my point

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

You understand how transfers work, yes?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My point is he could just accept less money and leave if he was unhappy. There’s no need to pity him. He didn’t get “hosed” by his managers.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

My point is he could just accept less money and leave if he was unhappy. There’s no need to pity him. He didn’t get “hosed” by his managers.

I don’t think Shrapnig actually feels sorry for Martial, OP. He’s just pointing out that his development got stunted by United clown car transfer policies.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mauricio Pochettino eyes top striker as Chelsea look to transfer market again

quote:

Mauricio Pochettino’s hopes of strengthening his squad in January are likely to depend on Chelsea making space for signings by embarking on another clearout.

Pochettino, who has only five victories from his 16 Premier League games, said Chelsea may need to go back into the transfer market after they lost 2-0 against Everton on Sunday. The club have spent about £1bn since being bought by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital in the summer of 2022, but are 12th after a poor start.

Chelsea brought in 14 players last summer, offset by 15 first-team players leaving permanently or on loan. But they have continued to struggle for goals and will consider buying a top striker, with Brentford’s Ivan Toney and Napoli’s Victor Osimhen high on their wishlist. Chelsea have also been scouting the Sporting Lisbon striker Viktor Gyökeres.

Please bro just one more billion bro. I promise bro it's different this time, one more striker will fix everything bro. Just one more bro, i can fix the team bro. Bro just a couple more midfielders is all we need bro, I promise bro.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A few more transfers along the lines of paying £100m for Caicedo will fix Chelsea

This chart is very funny

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67681960

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Thanks Ants posted:

A few more transfers along the lines of paying £100m for Caicedo will fix Chelsea

This chart is very funny

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67681960

why are brighton behind newcastle on this chart lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Calendar year

Edit: Oh lol the bar, I've no idea. I didn't look at it any closer than was needed to confirm Chelsea are indeed funny.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The BBC received a brown envelope to push Newcastle up the table

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
They've sorted it by points-per-game but then displayed it with just points, which is very stupid.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:2022-Dec-31/todate:2024-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

This is the source table if anyone cares as much as I clearly do. Also Chelsea bad lol.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vegetable posted:

he did also get six months at Sevilla to put himself in the shop window

you can add your own narrator's voice

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
MUFC Problem Player Cycle:

1. Fresh Start
2. Early Success
3. Heavy Defeat
4. Team Under Pressure
5. Accused by Roy Keane of ''Lacking Desire"
6. Blamed and Benched
7.a) Manager Sacked
7.b) Injury To Overpaid Aging Superstar
8. Repeat

Sancho is already on step 6, so if he can just stay at the club through the January window, he'll be fine.

Martial is probably going to end up at Chelsea since that would be the most hilarious outcome.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Turns out he was right.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/12/howard-webb-admits-simon-hooper-made-mistake-in-citys-draw-with-spurs

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Yeah, Hooper was right that comedy was the necessary outcome

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

There's no getting away from their Champions League performance being terrible, but I think a lot of the press were ready for ETH to be sacked in October and are now trying to wish it into being. It's really close at the top end of the table - ten points covers 1st to 7th, last season by week 15 that would only have covered 1st to 4th.

It feels a bit like Bournemouth sacking O'Neil at the end of last season, you want to ask the people responsible what they thought the results were supposed to be because it looks a bit crazy otherwise.

Honestly I still don't get Ten Hag out. He has won the carbao cup, made the fa cup final, finished 3rd last season. He is currently higher in the league than Eddie Howe but Eddie Howe is considered a genius. Newcastle also finished bottom of their group, of course it was a harder group but I feel like Onana really by himself ruined their UCL run. How can we blame Ten Hag for buying the UCL goal keeper of the year and then the guy turns out to completely choke out of his mind?

The media are just very anti Ten Hag. Whether it's his foreign accent or the media calling him robotic. It's just stupidity. Pochettino and Eddie Howe are both doing worse but they have 0 pressure on them. Poch spend 300m?and Howe has the richest club in the world.

Not saying Poch or Howe(they both have had good results vs top teams) deserve the sack but its weird the media just ignores them.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 14, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We could maybe blame Ten Hag for making Onana one of his top transfer targets because he insisted the club needed a keeper who fits his preferred style of play and wanted Onana (a player he knew from their time together at Ajax) for that, in the process driving out a keeper who was not good with his feet but was a very good shot stopper, and then just watching in horror and changing nothing as his new signing turned out to be a very bad shot stopper.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
More to the point though, I feel like people are mad at Ten Hag because they expected this season would be a step forward from last season when they finished third, made two finals, and won one of them. It's his second season and his first seemed like a step in the right direction to Man U fans, and now he's had the real chance to sign more of his own preferred players like Onana or Mount, get rid of some players he thought were holding the team back like Ronaldo, and really continue building the club in his own image the way visionary managers get to do... and the result is they've taken a big step backwards. People expected improvement and instead they haven't even got treading water, they've gotten worse.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

More to the point though, I feel like people are mad at Ten Hag because they expected this season would be a step forward from last season when they finished third, made two finals, and won one of them. It's his second season and his first seemed like a step in the right direction to Man U fans, and now he's had the real chance to sign more of his own preferred players like Onana or Mount, get rid of some players he thought were holding the team back like Ronaldo, and really continue building the club in his own image the way visionary managers get to do... and the result is they've taken a big step backwards. People expected improvement and instead they haven't even got treading water, they've gotten worse.

It feels less like a rebuild and more like Solskjaer again

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ulio posted:

Honestly I still don't get Ten Hag out. He has won the carbao cup, made the fa cup final, finished 3rd last season. He is currently higher in the league than Eddie Howe but Eddie Howe is considered a genius. Newcastle also finished bottom of their group, of course it was a harder group but I feel like Onana really by himself ruined their UCL run. How can we blame Ten Hag for buying the UCL goal keeper of the year and then the guy turns out to completely choke out of his mind?

The media are just very anti Ten Hag. Whether it's his foreign accent or the media calling him robotic. It's just stupidity. Pochettino and Eddie Howe are both doing worse but they have 0 pressure on them. Poch spend 300m?and Howe has the richest club in the world.

Not saying Poch or Howe(they both have had good results vs top teams) deserve the sack but its weird the media just ignores them.

bald apologism shoud be a bannable offence

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They need a good transfer window. Maguire/Evans/Varane is a weird center back situation, McTominay shouldn’t be starting and Antony is obviously a dud. And then there’s Onana.

Honestly the more I look at it, the more that squad seems trash and I’m pretty surprised they’ve done as decently in the league as they have.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ulio posted:

It's a combination of the press desperately needing any kind of copy that involves Manchester United in any way and then getting upset that nothing comes of the massive drama they've built up

plus a bunch of Liverpool fans texting in to the BBC feed on a Tuesday night to explain why United aren't a big club any more but that it's still somehow very important to ragetweet every game they play in a competition Liverpool didn't qualify for

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I think it's because Manchester united play like poo poo and they've lost half their games this season and finished last in a champions league group that had danish and Turkish teams in it, OP

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mila kunis posted:

I think it's because Manchester united play like poo poo and they've lost half their games this season and finished last in a champions league group that had danish and Turkish teams in it, OP

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

but yes I did a little lol at all the Brave Plucky Toon Underdogs articles despite them also finishing last and getting beaten at home by a team whose best midfielder Newcastle bought for 70m

that dismal shower at Old Trafford could learn a thing or two from them

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i am somewhat sympathetic to keeping ten Hag as i think the problems solely due to him are relatively small compared to those he's inherited. plus injuries.

on the other hand, these things don't really justify the pasting at home to bournemouth or that lifeless performance against a fairly docile bayern to keep themselves in europe.

in conclusion manchester is a land of contrasts and he still has a job because sacking him doesn't actually fix anything

appendix: based on his public defense of overmars and keeping antony in the squad i think he's a wrongun

appendix 2: bald

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Yeah, the UCL is the damning one. Sure, Munich were always going to win that group, but there is really no excuse for a team with the resources of MU to finish bottom.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It was a good attempt. Hire a bald manager and buy a tall scandinavian striker. That should work.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mila kunis posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It was a good attempt. Hire a bald manager and buy a tall scandinavian striker. That should work.

Christmas break will be devoted to creating large straw copies of successful players and presenting them in jungle clearings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
They should definitely keep him. He just needs a bigger war chest.