Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

another inexplicable home loss to the Colts probably

I need something like aliens telling Lamar his home planet needs him, let's get really freaky with it

BrownThunder posted:

I hope it's a second loss to the Steelers

That's inevitable anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Dango Bango posted:

Purdy over CMC?? Interesting...

MVP is a QB award.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder how many teams would trade their league average QB for 2 years of cost controlled CMC.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Definitely a big question

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

wandler20 posted:

MVP is a QB award.

If it goes to a niner it should be CMC but yeah QB only club now.

Which is a shame because CMC honors us all with his establishment of The Run.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

wandler20 posted:

MVP is a QB award.

Sometimes RB (adrian peterson) and this is the one year it miiiiiight go to a WR (Tyreek)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The 49ers went to the Superbowl with Jimmy G and a marginally worse roster. Purdy is good but is also the least impressive 49er on the majority of his passing plays.

The 49ers might've reached the Super Bowl last year if not for the injury to Purdy basically ending the game. Hell, a Purdy who could barely throw still managed to be a better QB than Josh Johnson.

Yeah, the 49ers are loaded on offensive talent, but you still need to have some basic competence as a QB to make that offense thrive, or otherwise the run game can be shut down like Philly did in the NFCCG post-injury. Zach Wilson obviously ain't gonna do poo poo on the 49ers. Yeah, Mahomes would probably make that 49ers squad into the 2007 Pats, but Purdy has to be at least a good QB to keep the offense running so well for so long. He's definitely legit as a QB so far, and could end up proving to be elite with a couple more seasons like this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Illegal Hen
The case against Purdy for MVP is when CMC & Deebo were out.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Really should just stratify the awards. Name them after former players and have a QB award, RB award, WR, OL etc. Make a dumb show that will broadcast on NFL network, go hog wild

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

The case against Purdy for MVP is when CMC & Deebo were out.

he was concussed in 1.5 of those 3 games that trent and deebo were hurt, and moody missed a game winning kick in 2 of them

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OneMoreTime posted:

Really should just stratify the awards. Name them after former players and have a QB award, RB award, WR, OL etc. Make a dumb show that will broadcast on NFL network, go hog wild

Do an awards show at the pro bowl imo, air it on NFL Network.

Have Brady at the Superbowl every year to hand out the Tom Brady Superbowl MVP

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

feller posted:

he was concussed in 1.5 of those 3 games that trent and deebo were hurt, and moody missed a game winning kick in 2 of them

I think trying to diagnose a concussion based on whether a QB is playing badly or not is pretty silly. Sometimes guys just have bad games or bad stretches. You don’t need to go looking for a bump to the head to explain it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think trying to diagnose a concussion based on whether a QB is playing badly or not is pretty silly. Sometimes guys just have bad games or bad stretches. You don’t need to go looking for a bump to the head to explain it.

he went in concussion protocol ???

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe Zach Wilson's been concussed for the past three years.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe Zach Wilson is only three years old.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mega64 posted:

And the career of Jameis Winston.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

feller posted:

Yea, and cleared it in time for the game the following week. And the hit to the head came in the 4th quarter. So he played a portion of one quarter with a concussion then cleared protocol and played another game and wasn’t very good. Explaining that away as concussed for 1.5 games is a really generous interpretation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

feller posted:

Then if he played that’s gross negligence from the niners

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The fact that everyone and thier mother is putting thier mortgage on the under scares me

feller
Jul 5, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yea, and cleared it in time for the game the following week. And the hit to the head came in the 4th quarter. So he played a portion of one quarter with a concussion then cleared protocol and played another game and wasn’t very good. Explaining that away as concussed for 1.5 games is a really generous interpretation.

If you'd rather pretend the NFL handles this stuff well instead of admitting you were wrong and only looked up what I said after than that's cool :cheers:

That quibbling over the 4th quarter is just silly imo, I forgot when it happened exactly and rounded

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then if he played that’s gross negligence from the niners

yeah agreed, also didn't Hurts leave for a concussion evaluation then re-enter the game whcih should be against the rules now? This is still not being treated seriously enough by the league imho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He got concussed and threw INTs in his next 2 passes. Odds are they win without the concussion. That was Monday night. They then played the Bengals who were coming off a bye and he just didn't look right. I think that was more the massive rest disadvantage, though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

feller posted:

If you'd rather pretend the NFL handles this stuff well instead of admitting you were wrong and only looked up what I said after than that's cool :cheers:

I didn’t have to look anything up because watch football games and I watched him play the Bengals the very next week. What is your evidence that he was still concussed on the Bengals game other than being not very good?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

Buffalo is actually less screwed than I thought. I even snuck them in with three more losses, though it would take complete meltdowns from HOU and PIT.

yeah. there was way too much doom and gloom given how all the wildcard teams look and how many of them are sitting at 7-5 or 6-6

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I didn’t have to look anything up because watch football games and I watched him play the Bengals the very next week. What is your evidence that he was still concussed on the Bengals game other than being not very good?

6 days of rest and a flight vs 14 days of rest.

Also no deebo or Trent.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wonder how many teams would trade their league average QB for 2 years of cost controlled CMC.

he would be awesome on the panthers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Purdy is much more efficient, and careful with the ball than Jimmy G. He seems to have a very good understanding of when to be aggressive and when to play it safe. Unlike Jimmy G who would throw the dumbest possible interception with the game in the balance. Also, no self-preservation skills.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think you clearly didn't know he was in protocol at all and now are trying too hard to win an online argument tbqh. I don't have evidence beyond mere skepticism that he fully recovered in less than a week and him playing obviously much worse than he was before and after

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Purdy over CMC?? Interesting...

giving mvp to a rb? what year is it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Despera posted:

The fact that everyone and thier mother is putting thier mortgage on the under scares me

The Patriots are Iowa except they have to play other NFL teams instead of Big 10 West teams. I mean, if you think Trubisky can score several touchdowns, be my guest.

If it's more that people are just gambling huge amounts recklessly in general, very fair.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm not married to him as an MVP candidate and I think it would be fun if a non-QB won it for a change, but so much of the argument against Purdy feels a little too disconnected from his tangible production for my liking. It'd be one thing if he was just doing game manager poo poo and costing on QB Wins en route to a narrative-based MVP candidacy, but you go to the QB leaderboards and he's #1 in passer rating, QBR, yards/attempt, yards/completion, any/a, completion percentage, TD%, #4 in passing TD, #7 in passing yards...it's pretty easy to land on him as "guy having the best year at the most important position," which is a totally reasonable way to pick the MVP.

Trying to undercut that by going "ah but his teammates are too talented and his coaching makes his job too easy" feels weird to me. I guess it makes sense to invoke if you're trying to compare people with equally strong candidacies, but to use it to dismiss him altogether doesn't really feel like it's in the spirit of the award? Like, I've never seen the NFL MVP as a "Who is objectively the best player in the league" award, and this isn't the MLB where you can fairly confidently isolate an individual player's value. Guys like Kurt Warner have won before playing on incredibly stacked teams. I don't know why Purdy is the breaking point where people are going "Oh but his numbers don't really count"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Frank Gore shouldn't be in the Hall what the gently caress are you on?

You can easily and trivially tell the story of the NFL while utterly and completely omitting Frank Gore. Being the 5th to 15th best RB every year isn't fame-worthy even if you do it for 10 years. I don't care about the consistency. He's one of the greatest 49ers but he does not remotely qualify to be mentioned in the same breath as Payton, Dickerson, Faulk, Sanders, Tomlinson, Brown, etc.

Gore is a Ricky Watters who managed to play five extra seasons. Don't kid yourselves.

Filing this post away under Enemies of the Run.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

6 days of rest and a flight vs 14 days of rest.

Also no deebo or Trent.

I agree that the short week and limited practice and Deebo being out are better explanations for that performance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Maybe Purdy is just really scared of tigers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I agree that the short week and limited practice and Deebo being out are better explanations for that performance.

Due to concussion protocol, IIRC, Purdy didn't even practice that week at all.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I think MVP is dak because the cowboys without Dak are 5-11 and the 49ers without Purdy are still capable of being a juggernaut. That's not at all a swipe at Purdy, and more of a compliment to Dak. In the same way that Matt cassel could go 11-5 on the patriots, but the colts shriveled into a 2-14 mess without Peyton.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

feller posted:

I think you clearly didn't know he was in protocol at all and now are trying too hard to win an online argument tbqh. I don't have evidence beyond mere skepticism that he fully recovered in less than a week and him playing obviously much worse than he was before and after

You said he was concussed for 1.5 games which is untrue based on all of the available facts but I’m the one who didn’t know what was going on? He wasn’t even much worse before and after, his worst game was against Cleveland but maybe he had another undiagnosed medical condition you’d like to weigh in on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Maybe Purdy is just really scared of tigers.

No fear of jaguars though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

If Josh Allen isn’t good then yes, Pat Mahomes is the only good QB.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

DancingMachine posted:

BTW did you know Christian McCaffery's cap hit for this year is 3.2MM?? Aiyuk is only 4MM. What sorcery has constructed this loving roster.

Make trades with desperate suckers the Carolina Panthers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Due to concussion protocol, IIRC, Purdy didn't even practice that week at all.

They can still do some things with the team while in protocol depending on the stage so he probably had some prep time but I doubt he did any full contact practice.