Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's something incredibly funny about your confused demon saying, roughly, "no prob bro!" then finishing the fight. There truly was no problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game gets more dope the farther in you go.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
As much of a confusing mess as demon negotiation seems to be, I do appreciate some of the bizarre dialogue.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

Full HP and TP restore, nice.

Someone's been playing too much Etrian Odyssey :cheeky:

TomatoPawah posted:

Everyone has memories they've buried... But sometimes, evil takes hold of those memories. Once possessed by evil, the memory twists in the shadows of the heart, and eventually gives birth to a personal demon.

SMT If... is usually credited as the precursor of the Persona spinoff series with its high school setting and guardian angel system but I believe the VR dungeons in this game are the precursors of the personal dungeons that became a staple in those games later on.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Petiso posted:

Someone's been playing too much Etrian Odyssey :cheeky:

In on hand, I'm flattered that you're actually reading all of it. :allears: On the other hand, I've played too many Atlus games and I still get confused when talking about SP, TP and MP. :argh:

quote:

SMT If... is usually credited as the precursor of the Persona spinoff series with its high school setting and guardian angel system but I believe the VR dungeons in this game are the precursors of the personal dungeons that became a staple in those games later on.

Huh. While I was aware of SMT IF and the guardian system (Thanks Marsh) I never really saw the VR dungeons as precursors... But you might be onto something.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Rather enjoying this LP, thanks. I'd always heard of Soul Hackers as this beacon in the SMT series when it wasn't generally available, and while that ended up being to some degree the usual hype cycle around a title that hadn't been localized, it was a good time when they released the 3DS port. I'd forgotten some of the out-there demon designs from the earlier era of SMT.

Out of curiosity, when you're doing the dungeon crawling, are you leveling demon loyalty by just letting them do their preferred thing, or getting them drunk? I remember for the most part using the sake to change new demons to Calm and just sitting in a battle defending until they'd be maxed out, since Calm demons approve of that action.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Tortolia posted:

Rather enjoying this LP, thanks. I'd always heard of Soul Hackers as this beacon in the SMT series when it wasn't generally available, and while that ended up being to some degree the usual hype cycle around a title that hadn't been localized, it was a good time when they released the 3DS port. I'd forgotten some of the out-there demon designs from the earlier era of SMT.

Out of curiosity, when you're doing the dungeon crawling, are you leveling demon loyalty by just letting them do their preferred thing, or getting them drunk? I remember for the most part using the sake to change new demons to Calm and just sitting in a battle defending until they'd be maxed out, since Calm demons approve of that action.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Update 14 should be up in the next two days. The Devil Summoner games are quite underrated and I love Soul Hackers, but I don't think it's the pinnacle of the series like so many people say. That spot goes to games like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey.

To answer your question, I need to clarify something first. I'm still not entirely sure if Sly demons gain loyalty or not when used in battle, what I do know is that the amount they gain is either pitiful or non-existent. While using gifts is the "intended" method, I prefer to change their personalities to Kind/Wild since you can just order them to use basic attacks/guard. The sake to make a demon Sly is quite useless since they'll will gain next to no loyalty during combat. Unless you have a ton of gifts to spare, just stick to order them around.

quote:

I remember for the most part using the sake to change new demons to Calm and just sitting in a battle defending until they'd be maxed out, since Calm demons approve of that action.

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. Like I said in the Amami Airport update, Calm demons are by far my favourite. Having to calculate the damage I'll deal/take and the speed of my allies/enemies to give a proper command is really satisfying. Another trick you can do is let a Calm demon run out of MP and make them use basic attacks for a while. As long as their HP isn't low enough (or else they'll start guarding) or the enemy nulls/repels phys, the AI will consider basic attacks as the proper action.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a touch grindy to just get demons drunk and sit around defending for a while, but assuming you're not dealing with actually threatening enemies you just need to do it for one battle then you can roll with your level 5 loyalty crew as you see fit. Can be good for those stubborn types, anyway.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 14: VR Haunted Mansion

"Virtual Horror House"

A good chunk of enemies can use Mudo to instantly kill the MC. Try wearing armor to Null Death.

As you explore, you'll hear conversations between Shingo and his...sister? Huh, he never mentioned anything like that. There are three rooms in this area, let's explore them from left to right.

Sometimes.

The gimmick is simple, there are several rooms scattered through this floor. One of them will take you to a secret room to clear the area, the rest of them... Well...

Do you like teleporter mazes? Yeah, me neither...

Oh gently caress off! Shiwanna is here, too?

Just need to survive this turn...

:kingsley: :kingsley:

Good thing I used that Tetraja Stone.

I'd rather not get ambushed by Shiwanna, only to get killed by Violet Flash. Let's get rid of that Expel weakness.

"Normal Battle"

Uh-oh...

:gibs:

Get up, Nemissa!

Can you please die already!?

Sheesh... Oh we got the Head-Hunter.

This is a male-only cursed weapon, it will grant the MC a massive ATK and HIT bonus! But...

...the Head-Hunter has a chance to fail the attack; mind you, this isn't the same as missing. If you think the damage boost is worth risking your turn entirely, then go for it, I'll keep using my Ice Muramasa.

As for Nemissa, she needs to null Fire damage.

You can also use Dormarth, she's fast enough to cast Makarakarn before anyone gets a chance to act.

The cross...?

Kicking it will cause the entire party a little bit of damage.

Come, I dare you.

:flip:

Another cursed weapon. When using the Idle Katar, you have a very high chance to fall sleep. Wait... Sleep? Doest this mean you can just use armor to null Mind? Nah, the Sleep effect bypasses immunities. :)

Dead end, really...?

You're no longer a threat, Urban Terror.

You, you there! Tell me the correct path. Huh? You don't know? Thanks for nothing! Maybe I'll call Paradigm X support...

Just how big is this basement?

I just want to find the exit, bye.

I love it when horror is based on actual events. It's so interesting to peek into the hearts of others like this. I hope this becomes a series. I love anything that's based on a true story.

...You're only saying that because it's not about you. No one wants others to peek into the dark corners of their heart.

Way to ruin the fun. Who are you to talk, anyway? You're here, too. Besides, this is virtual reality. Nothing that happens here is real, so none of it counts. I can do whatever I want!

Thanks, weird talking cross. I guess should fuse some demons now that the basement is fully mapped.

"Hotel Goumaden"

:allears:

Future Tomato here, I hate this demon with a burning passion. His resistances are pretty crazy, though.

I hate this guy too!

I'm sorry artificial hee-ho, but I can't fuse you with anything.

"Kingdom House"

Hmmhmm~ I'm going to enjoy this.

Thanks to the Scathach I got as a reward, I can finally talk about Elemental Fusion..

Let's start with the basics. If you're interested in getting a certain race, you can check the combinations at the Goumaden. For example, the screenshot above is listing the multiple ways to get a Herald. But what if you decide to fuse 2 demons of the same race...?

Doing that will result in an Elemental instead. The list goes as follows:

Gnome: Night, Fallen, Holy, Jirae, Brute, Tree
Sylph: Genma, Yoma, Divine, Avian, Flight, Beast
Undine: Kishin, Fairy, Dragon, Snake, Femme
Salamander: Herald, Avatar

Note: Nemechi has a Sylph too and it works just like her Soul Hackers variant.

While elementals do have skills, that's not the reason you want to fuse one. Fusing an Elemental with another demon will rank them up or down. Let's give it a try.

The Megami demon with the lowest level is Fortuna at level 30, right after is Scathach at level 36. Fusing a Megami demon with Undine will rank them down by 1 level. The only exception to the rule are the secret races such as UMA, Enigma, etc.

The Elemental fusion list is, to put it bluntly, loving huge. For the sake of your eyes, I'll leave for a mini-update. For now, let's focus on getting Enigmas and UMAs.

The app Copernicus will make COMP fusions have a very high chance to result in an accident. Even if you use the app to stabilize fusion accidents called Albert, using Copernicus will set the fusion loss percentage to 5.

By fusing a Megami, and getting a fusion accident...

You will get one an Enig-- Wait, what...? :pwn:

Oh right, I need to be in a New Moon, eheheh... Whoops. :cripes:

Ehem... as I was saying. Go to COMP, then fusion.

Enigmas come with their own skillset and can inherit skills. If you're just trying to fill the compendium, I suggest using a low level demon as the second ingredient.

What a design, eh? Any Devil Survivor 2 players remember this fucker?

The skills are pretty poo poo, sure, but those resistances... Strong against all? drat!

But tomato, you may be asking, how can I get more Enigma demons?

Remember what Victor said about Dark demons?

quote:

As fusion materials, though, you could say that darkness is only born from darkness. Once you make one DARK demon, pretty much any fusions you create using that demon will also be DARK. If you plan on creating DARK demons, take this into consideration.

If you use Copernicus when fusing an Enigma you'll get another one. Using this method, you can get all four of them with some luck. However, Atlus was smart enough to lock the rest of them behind your level. The other 2 Enigma demons are Lv. 42 and 62 so I won't be able to get them just yet. Now that Enigmas are out of the way, let's talk about UMA demons.

You'll need a beast demon.

And to be in a full moon.

By getting a fusion accident...

You'll get an UMA demon. UMA stands for Unidentified Mysterious Animal, and it's mostly composed by mystical beasts.

The trick of using UMAs to get UMAs still work, if you want to get all of them at once. The highest level UMA is 50.

Now you can know how it feels to have 2 Olivers as party members! And speaking of Oliver...

I have no use for Oliver at this point in the game, so I'll just send it to Dr. Thrill to get another artificial frost.

Just like Oliver, I have no use for Fortuna, so I fused her with the recently acquired La Llorona to make this... Deer-fish called Makara to act as my healer.

And finally, Moloch. No reason behind this one, I just like his design.

Yeah, Yeah, I know this bit.

Wow, we haven't made any progress yet, let's fix that.

Maybe not...

*sigh*

Ugh...

I'm not showing Mishaguji's recruitment, because I already saw that dialogue.

O h

Another Nemissa-only cursed weapon. Every time you use the Tyrfing , it has a chance to instantly kill her! Fun, right? I'll equip it anyway, the power boost it grants is massive and I can easily revive her.

Sorry if I'm not showing the dungeon all that much, but there's barely anything to show! Look at how many empty rooms/teleporters this place has. There is no strategy, just open a door and... whoops! Wrong teleporter, back to the basement with you!

That's gross, Moloch.

OMG, that was the right teleporter. Wooohooo!

Is this Six when he was a kid? He was a cute little guy, huh.

Who's Six? My name's Shingo.

Oh, right...

What are you doing here? You're not bad guys, are you?

What should we do, Tomato? If we take him back with us, maybe Six'll return to normal.

The choices you make here will affect the fight against the boss at the end. Choosing to leave Six alone will make the boss easier, trying to take Six will make it harder.

Nuh-uh! You're not taking me anywhere! I'm not going! You're trying to take me to the Night Kingdom, just like that monster does!

Nooooo! Help me, Big Sister! Heeeelp!

If you're not a good boy, the giant bug Goggie will come and eat your head! Now you got to sleep. Your sister will protect you. I won't let anyone take you away.

We're back to the first floor. One down...

...two more to go.

My demons dying.

Rawr

This is the second level, the wind of recollection. The gimmick, just as the name suggest revolves around wind. You need to focus on the sound of the--

I'm kidding, It's another teleporter maze... :cripes:*sigh* I'll just go back and fuse some demons in the meantime.

"Hotel Goumaden"

BoooooooOOooooOoom to you to, Python.

I'll ignore Meat Bullet for now and focus on Rolwoy's Ice affinity...

And Pellaidh because... idk, fusion fodder for later.

"Hakkaku Liquor Store"

I know... Just sell me sake, please.

Well, back the the VR Haunted Mansion.

"Virtual Horror House 2"

Okay that one is definitely the demon pretending to be Six's sister...

Brother, you're the literal God of sex and a Vile demon. How on earth are you even Law aligned? :pwn:

Oh, right. I've been putting some points into Nemissa's Endurance stat. I'll try to buy her ultimate armor later.

Nice beatboxing!

Thanks to save states I complete this floor without issues. Just look at that map, sheesh... I hope it helps if you decide to play the game.

Second door, let's go.

"Horror House Trauma"

You can't come in here. This is a secret base for me and Big Sister.

What should we do, Tomato? We need to bring him back...

Sorry, Six.

Huh? What's wrong? Are you taking me away? I don't wanna go. I don't wanna leave here...

Let's make our lives harder.

I don't wanna go! Sister, help!

If you don't quiet down, the dwarf Lukoje will come and blind you!

Who are you? Are you trying to take Shingo away? Don't worry Shingo, your Big Sister will make sure you're safe from these bad people...

Last one.

More teleporters?

And the gimmick is the exact same as the previous two... I don't want to just keep ranting about a game I love but come on...

A small warning, this scene is quite heavy compared to the previous memories. If you've suffered from Post-Traumatic Amnesia or have painful memories related to childhood trauma/sibling loss, proceed at your own caution.

"Horror House Trauma"

What should I do? What can I do...? The blood won't stop... It keeps gushing out, even when I press on it...

...Blood? The doll's bleeding?

It's going to die... The doll's gonna die... It's all my fault...

This is getting crazy, Tomato. We need to do something of Six is going to...

Sorry, Six.

Then I'll be all alone... No... I don't wanna be alone... W-Waaaaah...!

That voice... It's that little girl...

*sniff* *sniff* I'm sorry, Big Sis. I broke your doll... No, I didn't break a doll...

This scene hits like a truck every single time...

Ahhhhh, noooo... I'm sorry, Sister....

This isn't over. We're coming for you Six!

Now you can access the upper areas, well, kind of. From 1F to 5F every single floor is shaped like this. The 6th floor is where the boss resides.

If you don't want to go all the way back to Algon NS, you can find the Directional Armor Set inside a few of these rooms. These are the locations:

2F Upper Right Corner

3F Lower Right Corner

4F Lower Left Corner

5F Upper Left Corner

6F Upper Left Corner

Something worthy of mention is the treasure chest on the 5th Floor.

This chest will trigger one of these fights.

Once you kill the demon, you'll be rewarded with a Chakra Pot. But what if you already have the max amount?

This will trigger the fight again! You can repeat the fight as many times as you want. While the EXP this Virtue gives is pitiful, performing this neat trick will be very useful much later in the game. You'll see.

The encounter rate is quite high, too.

But as much as I would like to avoid random encounters, I need to work on the loyalty of my newer demons. We'll be fighting the boss of this dungeon at its prime, after all.

What would my past self say if they saw my MC putting points into STR...

You absolute idiot!

Actually, I am...

Holy poo poo! I forgot that Aka -Manto/Red Cape was in this game too!

Aka-Manto will appear to people who use the last stall in the bathroom. It will then ask: "Do you want the red or blue paper." Picking the red paper will make Aka-Manto cut your throat to make the victim look like they're wearing a red cape. If you pick blue, you'll be choked to death until your face turns blue. The "correct" answer tends to be ignoring the question entirely. :eng101:

I have no idea what this thing does, so I used a Tetraja Stone just in case.

Ha... Nothing to worry ab--

OH, THERE WAS ANOTHER ONE BEHIND IT, YOU SLY FUCKER! Good thing I used a Tetraja Stone...

Even though I'm using Dark Man, I can't talk to it yet. I'm probably underleveled, too bad...

At Lv. 40, Nemissa learns Diarahan, a healing skill that restores HP fully.

Well, this is it...

Our stats.

I'm feeling chaotic today, so this will be our party.

"Horror House Organ"

You'd always tell me that you were gonna be with me forever. And yet, you've completely forgotten about Erika. I feel betrayed.

That's... not true.

It's all a lie. You're the one who locked me away. I was in your heart all this time, in a place where no light could reach me...

But it's okay now. Because now, Shingo and Erika will be together again... forever.

But this isn't the real world, and Sister... isn't really alive...

That's not true. I can live in this world. You just don't know it yet. Plus, I'm the only person who knows your true heart. You may act tough, but you're actually scared and lonely on the inside...

But as long as you're here you don't have to pretend anymore.

I've heard enough! :argh:

...Who's there?

I'm not going to let you have him. Shingo is going to stay here with me forever!

She's a...fabricated ghost. A demon, the memories in his heart that have been twisted and changed.

Wait, that's what that guide said...

The memories in Six's heart created a demon that appeared here in this world...

If I eliminate you here, Shingo will be mine.

Every time you try to take Shingo away, one of this bosses will help Erika. If you leave Shingo alone during all three memories, she will start the fight alone.

"Event Battle 2" :siren: Vs. Erika :siren:

There is a massive mistake in my formation, and it will come to bite me in the rear end later.

Ghost - Erika

HP: 2845
Lv. 43
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Gun.
Repels: Curse
Weakness: None

Skills:
Mabufula: Deals heavy Ice damage to all enemies.
Marin Karin: Attempts to inflict Charm on a single target.
Gun Beam: Attempts to Mark a single target.
Question Box: Forces all allied demons but "Calm" to return to the COMP.
Mudola: Death-based skill. Attempts to insta-kill a row of enemies.

Yes, they gave Marin Karin to a child. :pwn: Erika relies mostly on Mabufula to deal damage, Gun Beam/Marin Karin to annoy you and she uses Mudola very rarely. The real threat is Question Box. Once used, every demon that isn't "Calm" by default will return to the COMP. Try to kill the other three demons before that happens.

Vermin - Goggie

HP: 843
Lv. 31
Resists: Expel, Curse, Gun
Null: Death
Weakness: Fire, Ice

Skills
Paral Web: Attempts to inflict Paralysis to an entire row.
Feral Bite: Deals Skill damage to a single target.
Eat Whole: Deals heavy Slash damage to front row and splash damage to the rest.

Both the most pathetic and gross demon of the bunch. Seriously, that sprite is horrifying... Paral Web is annoying, but Goggie should be dead by turn 2 if you focus your damage on it.

Night - Lukoje

HP: 837
Lv. 30
Nulls: Death, Curse
Resist: Magic

Skills:
Mazanma: Deals heavy Force damage to all enemies.
Aeon Rain: Deals Ice damage to all enemies.
Sukunda Reduces enemy accuracy. Stacks up to 4 times.
Lullaby Attempts to put the entire party to sleep.

Now Lukoje on the other hand, is extremely dangerous. Okay, not extremely but his spells hit really hard and being resistant to magic means Nemissa will take longer to kill it. Use Phys damage and pray you don't fall Sleep.

Wilder - Bugs

HP: 1093
Lv. 34
Nulls: Death, Mind, Nerve
Resists: Ice, Elec, Force, Expel, Curse, Phys
Weakness: Fire

Skills:
Frenzy: Deals Strike damage to one target with splash damage to the rest.
Scratch: Deals Slash damage to an enemy in the front row and splash damage to back.
Twist Off: Deals Skill damage to a single target.

Bugs is... Uhm... His role is... He hits hard? N-Not really?

"Boss Event End"

I did such a horrible thing to her... and yet...

Huh? Who's there...?

Your sister might not be in this world anymore, but she's still in your heart, right?

But... I killed....

What we saw of your sister just now was really scary, but that's because your heart has the wrong image of her...

You don't have to think about her all the time, but if you reminisce about her once in a while, she'll return to normal. She'll be back... the real sister, who was always so kind to you... Right?

...You're right. I should think about her more often...

Yeah..... Thanks, man.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

That's depression for you, Hitomi.

Hmm? Do you have something to share, Hitomi? A memory you don't want to remember?

...A memory? My... past? Huh...?

Wait...? What's wrong?

I don't know... I...

Hitomi?

I-I'm sorry. I just got confused all of a sudden. Maybe I'm just tired.

It was a sad memory... I hope he isn't depressed...

"Kuzunoha Event End"

I'm still kind of woozy. When I woke up, Lunch's face was right there in from of me... scared the hell outta me.

Shut up! You freaked me out WAY more when you started moving out of the blue!

P-Pft...

Suddenly falling into a coma, jumping right back up with no warning... You don't ever ease into anything, ya know?

At any rate, we're all back to normal. We're gonna head back to HQ. What about you, Six?

I'll rest some more before I go. I'm still a little groggy.

Hey, don't push yourself.

We'll see you later, Six.

Six... :ohdear:

Huh?

Er, n-never mind. I just... I just felt like I needed to say that.

Stop it you idiot, my heart can't take it anymore!

A few of them even started to get violent without warning. I guess Six just got off lucky.

It looks like all the patients were playing Paradigm X when they were hit by the disease. Just like Six. I have a feeling that this disease is somehow connected to the Phantom Society. If Paradigm X is the cause, then the disease is limited to people within Amami City.

The Phantom Society has plans for this city, and there's a disease that only appears here? It can't be a coincidence!

Huh?

Excuse me, and you are...?

Hmhm... I didn't think that your HQ would be a trailer. Locating it took time. I am Mayone. I have come to deal with some particularly loudly buzzing flies.

Are you with the Phantom Society?

I see... With the project underway, you can't afford to have the secret of Paradigm X revealed now.

...Exactly. You're much deeper into this than I'd first thought. I thought that I would send you out with a glorious bang.

A Parasol shaped COMP, Dark Summoners have a lot of style, eh?

"Event Battle 1" :siren: Vs. Mayone :siren:

Yuuuuup, another surprise boss fight. If you're saying "Tomato, why do you still have the same 2 demons from Erika's fight? Does the game lock you out of using the COMP?" Well... No, not really. But the fight is supposed to be a surprise, so I just went along with it. This is what I meant when I said my formation had a huge mistake. Nemissa should've been behind me during the Erika fight, that way even if she used Question Box, I would've been able to protect her. The first 2 turns against Mayone are very rough since her demons follow the same strategy as Finnegan, which is to kill someone each turn if possible.

Summoner - Mayone

HP: 1245
Lv. 43
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse, Strike

Skills:
Zionga Deals heavy Electric damage to a single target.
Mazio Deals Electric damage to a single target with splash damage to the rest.
Mudola Death-based skill. Attempts to insta-kill a row of enemies.
Diarama Heals a hight amount of HP to a single ally.

Mayone, just like Finnegan, loves to finish off your weaker units with Zionga and Mazio. Mudola is very dangerous if you don't have Tetraja active, but she doesn't use it that often. Her worst skill by far is Diarama... Everyone hates when a boss heals, sure, but what if the boss constantly heals their allies? That's what Mayone does best. Seeing her spamming Diarama non-stop is soul crushing, and her demons have a relatively small HP pool, making this skill even worse! At least she doesn't summon demons for free like Finnegan, and talking about her demons...

Haunt - Vetala

HP: 814
Lv. 40
Nulls: Death, Mind, Curse, Strike
Resists: Ice, Elec, Expel, Gun, Skill
Weakness: Force, Nerve

Skills:
Mabufu: Deals Ice damage
Dekaja: Nullifies all enemy buffs.
Twist Off: Deals Skill damage to a single enemy.
Fold: Deals heavy Skill damage to a single enemy.

Say hi to Nemissa's worst nightmare. Vetala will spend the entire fight punching, twisting and folding Nemissa to death. His resistances are pretty crazy, and his weaknesses are pretty irrelevant. Take care of this douchebag as soon as you can, or you'll lose 90% of your damage in a single turn.

Rumor - Purple Mirror

HP: 351
Lv. 42
Nulls: Strike
Repels: Magic
Weakness: Physical

Skills:
Makarakarn: Repels all Magical attacks, except for Almighty, for the entire party. Only usable during the same turn it was casted.
Makakaja Increases Magical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times.(50%/150%/250%/350%)
Morning Curse: Death-based skill. Attempts to instantly kill a target

gently caress this thing. Seriously, gently caress this thing. It's weak to Phys damage, but nulls Strike? Just how much do you hate Meat Bullet, Atlus? Purple Mirror has a very dangerous skill, Makarakarn, but it's way too slow to use it in time. Makakaja is annoying and Morning Curse can be a very rude game over.

Snake - Mizuchi

HP: 357
Lv. 38
Resists: Ailments, Phys
Nulls: Expel, Death
Repels: Ice

Skills:
Ice Breath: Deals Ice damage to one front row enemy, dealing damage to adjacent allies.
Water Wall: Nullifies incoming fire damage to all allies once.
Wrab Around: Deals Skill damage to one Front enemy, dealing damage to adjacent allies.

Nozuchi is...funny. If your Nemissa is fast and is using the fire/electric build, it's entirely possible to kill Mizuchi during the first turn of the fight before he even gets a chance to move. His skills are fairly annoying. Water Wall works differently from Makarakarn, first of all it doesn't last a single turn, instead it will remain active until you dispel it. While the skill protects the entire party, you only need to attack a single enemy to remove it. Fun Fact about the walls, they overwrite resistances, this means that attacking an enemy that repels fire with fire won't bounce the damage back.

Beast - Kaso x2

HP: 306
Lv. 37
Resists: Ailments, Phys
Nulls: Expel, Death
Repels: Fire
Weakness: Ice

Skills:
Fire Breath: Deals Ice damage to one front row enemy, dealing damage to adjacent allies.
Diarama: Heals a hight amount of HP to a single ally.
Petradi: Cures Petrification.

Prepare for trouble, and make it double! Kaso is back, and more annoying than ever. They're pretty fast and dodgy, Fire Breath hurts and they have Diarama too. You know, in case Mayone wasn't enough...

Nemissa, please...

Y-You think so...? I shall... complete... m-my mission... There isn't much time left... Will you make it...? Ha... ha ha ha...

Yeah.

Six, you're back.

Sorry for being late. So what just happened...?

"Tension"

Huh? What's this...? Oh crap. It's plastique! It's a bomb!!

So that's what Mayone meant...

Dammit , we've got to get out of the garage. It's too dangerous here.

What're you babbling about!? This is a real bomb we're talking about! You wanna die trying to act cool!?

Get out of here, you guys... I'll start to disarm it...

Stop it, you idiot!

...All right, everyone wait outside. Six and I will stay behind.

H-Hey, Leader...

I'll drive this thing a safe distance away. Are you sure you can disarm it?

Don't be crazy, you two! You'd better be safe! ...You'd better!

The Phantom Society's starting their assault on us.

That means we're getting close to the truth. Paradigm X... The disease...

...They're late... They should be back by now...

...!

Six, Leader! Thank goodness you're safe.

Haha, talk about getting out just in the nick of time...

Uh, didn't you say you were gonna disarm it!?

:cripes:

Haha! I knew you couldn't disarm it. But I'm glad you guys made it out. Not bad, for you!

I'll tell you, though, I was really sweating! I can't have my trailer blown to bits... I haven't paid it off!

Ha ha ha!

This was the point where I fell in love with the game. I'm not entirely sure why, but watching this scene always puts a huge smile in my face...

I say we get a move on to somewhere else. If we're still here when the police show up, we're screwed.

Right... I'm wondering how the Phantom Society found where we were. At any rate, we need to move our HQ.

I considered using this place for the last move, too. I need to let Yu-Ichi know... Let's get inside.

I'll go research Paradigm X, then.

Paradigm X? What about Paradigm X?

I'll explain. Come over here.

:siren:

You see, Dad... He's in a riot with a bunch of other people at Akane Mall!

I got worried when I didn't see him for a while. But I wasn't expecting something like this to happen!

I tried calling out to him, but he didn't respond, and I'm too scared to go near him with the rioters around...

Please, brother! Help him... Help Dad! Bring him home!

Tomato, what's wrong?

Your father's caught up in a riot at Akane Mall!? What's going on!? If Tomoko said it was him, then he has to be there, but I can't imagine your dad ever joining in a riot...

Anyway, let's go to Akane Mall! We need to bring him home! Um, Leader, we're going to Akane Mall!

Poor MC, he can't catch a break. In the next update, we'll return to monke. No, that wasn't a joke, I mean it. :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 8, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You repeated the image 653 (Erika saying humans forget about people once they're dead) in the update. I'm not sure if she says it twice, it does fit both times but it's the exact same image so better check.

You also both posted then transcribed image 685 (Six getting bashful about thanking the player) with a line in-between. Here I'm pretty sure he didn't say it twice.

Also also the Mayone video link starts 4 seconds in. One of the songs does too.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

You repeated the image 653 (Erika saying humans forget about people once they're dead) in the update. I'm not sure if she says it twice, it does fit both times but it's the exact same image so better check.

You also both posted then transcribed image 685 (Six getting bashful about thanking the player) with a line in-between. Here I'm pretty sure he didn't say it twice.

Also also the Mayone video link starts 4 seconds in. One of the songs does too.

Both repeated screenshots have been deleted, thanks a lot!

About the Mayone fight and the Boss Event End song, I have no idea how that happened. :confused: I had to use "Copy video URL at current time" to fix it.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 15: Primate Intelligence Lab

From a story standpoint, what I'm about to do will look really stupid.

But I did get my hands on some interesting data yesterday. I'm working on finding evidence right now.

So you finally found it? Haha, nice. You really are persistent, you know.

Heh. Was that a compliment?

Get a room, you two.

...Oh, hey, Tomatoe. What's up, Hitomi? Everything okay at Akane Mall? Sorry I can't help with that. Let's get going, Leader.

Okay. We'll see you two later.

Really? How lame... I guess I'll have to take care of it myself.

The weapon shop doesn't have anything useful, armor on the other hand... Just look by yourself.

Another good reason to use Finders Keepers is to get a lot of weapons to sell later.

H u h?

Oh, I'd love to meet her, but I can't leave this place. They'll get all lonely if I were to leave them here...

It means it's so bad that the government doesn't want to cause a panic, so they're hushing up the media.

They should come eat my food so they can get full of energy!

I'm about to fuse demons but... I think everyone deserves a good meal.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

"Hotel Goumaden"

I myself do not know the reason behind them, so I cannot say anything. But, there is something Master Victor said to me once:

"I can figure out how God made the demon body, as well as the human one. However, I still have no understanding as to how He created the heart. Perhaps... the human heart was created by humanity itself."

I do not know what he was talking about, but for some reason that conversation is a vivid memory for me...

...I see. Okay, thanks.

This fusion wasn't a good idea. Exchanging a demon with a very high magical resistance and my only source of Dark damage was dumb.

And this yeti, because it's pretty much a better Rolwoy.

Oh, I can't fuse Scathach with anything... I guess I'll stick with her for a bit longer.

And finally, I change my Shichisei Muramasa to a Denkou Muramasa, swapping the Ice property for an Electric one.

"2D Field"

Nemissa has this to say about the previous HQ.

Obviously, I was shocked, but we actually ended up being a pretty good match. I guess I owe Algon Soft one. Heh.

Good for you...?

Once you check Summoner Net, you'll be able to access the Primate Intelligence Lab.

"Human Brain Research"

Katakirauwa at this point? Huh, Okay. Welcome to the Primate Intelligence Lab, this place has a very..."unique" gimmick.

The gimmick is--

The gi--

:shepicide:

Okay, that's enough. As you may have noticed, he encounter rate in this dungeon is absurdly high. All those encounters I showed you? They occurred after 3-4 steps! You can face up to 8 enemies at the same time, and all of them are very weak demons. Now I see why Phantom wanted to leave Dr. Thrill alone... So, how do we deal with this?

Buy a ton of these or use Estoma. Unless you're desperate for Magnetite (and to be fair these encounters give you over 1K MAG per fight) I DO NOT recommend exploring this place without an item or a spell to reduce random encounters against low level demons.

Other than that, you can slip on banana peels, taking damage.

To make progress you'll have to find these Test Rooms first and-- wait, test room?! :confused:

"Dungeon Q"

Hmm... Number 1? NONO WAIT! NUMBER 3!

:argh:

Trying to skip the Test Room is not possible. Let's show Dr. Thrill we're smarter than a monkey!

Number 3

Floor 2, same gimmick.

The Lucifer Panel... Sounds cool, huh?

Even those who are not familiar with Megaten probably know Lucifer. I mean, just look at his design! Introduced all the way back in SMT 2, it has remained unmatched to this day. Let's give our new app a try, I can't wait!

I'm sorry, did I say Lucifer? I meant...

...LUCIFROST!

For some reason this design has barely been used. Lucifrost appeared in Devil children, a very niche Megami Tensei spin-off and... Soul Hackers. Yes, Soul Hackers. While I'm not entirely sure of the exact amount, you'll need at least 2500 D-Souls to reach the ultimate demon of Nemechi's female form.

"Nemechi"

Once you reach the ultimate demon of your current Nemechi, you should reset its form.

Then, upgrade Nemechi to the Snake form. You can only evolve once per day, so I'll have to try my luck getting the male path during the next update. Just because you come from the Male/Female path, doesn't mean you'll get the opposite one when Nemechi evolves. You have a lower chance of getting the same path after you return Nemechi to its base form, but I suggest loading a save file/state to get the one you want.

What are these questions...?

The next scene needs to be seen to be believed.

Beware of banana peels.

Remember the Second Kalpa from SMT Nocturne/the final Sector in Strange Journey? If you do, brace yourself, because invisible walls are back.

Luckily, they're not as bad as the previously mentioned examples. Just pay attention to your minimap and bump against walls until you find a yellow door.

Still, be careful when entering rooms, you don't want to face the boss by accident without any demons summoned.

Oh, it's over. Let me just...

Better. You can complete this dungeon rather quickly as long as you have Repulse Water or Estoma.

Here it is. The yellow door where the boss resides, meanwhile the "!" door has our final and most challenging test so far.

Or not...

What to do... Hmm, how about...?

This should do.

"Suspicious Occasion"

You're expecting a giant banana? There's no such thing! KYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Y-You fiend...!

You're part of Phantom, aren't you? Who exactly are you?

Phantom? Oh, those guys...

Don't lump me in with those pedestrians. I'm not in their group. I simply loaned them my genius for a brief period. And because how that, I find myself and my research constantly under duress from Summoners.

Well, what were you expecting, Thrill?

Once I made that realization, I also found my solution! An eye for an eye! Tooth for a tooth! A Summoner for a Summoner! And my work is finally complete! I have created an unfailingly loyal Summoner to do my bidding!

*sniffle* That's my boy! It chokes me up to see the monkey that you've become, Romero!

A Monkey Summoner making a yo mama joke... Now I've truly seen everything.

Excellent! You've already unleashed your devastating psychological attacks! His will is breaking down!

That seems to be all you runts can handle. I'll finish thrashing you another time. Ook!

No, Romero! You must fight them now! They can't be allowed to leave!

My apologies! I didn't realize that they posed such a threat. Their appearance led me to believe otherwise. Ook ook!

"Event Battle 2"

quote:

Remember this? It happened all the way back in Update 2. Some mad lad working at Atlus decided to add this dialogue if the player finished Dungeon Q before facing Romero, what's even better is that is fully voice acted. Wow, just... Wow.

First question! There was a selfish King who loved new things. He always had to be the first to own and use new inventions! Eeek eeek! But... There was one thing he urged his subjects to buy as soon as possible.

What? Uh... Be the first one to own and use, then... O h! I got it.

A phone.

Question two! One day a slug decides to climb a 15-meter pole! He can climb 3 meters a day, but every night he slips back 2 meters. Eeek!

13 Days

You're a smart one!

Question three! Maybe I'll give you a normal question, and not a riddle this time. Eek, eek! Something you'll never question when you're alone, easily find with 2, and more difficult with 3 or more.

Who farted?

Eeek eeek! I'm surprised you figured that one out. Learned from experience, hee?

Fourth question!

What is a petard?

Suspenders...?

You think you would be hung up by your underwear, like a nerd in a high school comedy? That's not it.

I'm not a native English speaker, Romero!

I know that you are beyond their capabilities, but I can't create a minion for an underling. That's just absurd.

But I'm not even using .009 of my brain power, and they're still woefully outmatched!

How can you even summon? You're more like a... none-oner! Ookahaha! Maybe they've got failure mutations on their dominant alleles.

That would literally make them born losers! Phwahahahahaha!

What is happening?

Failing against Romero will teleport you all the way back to the start of the floor. To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't send you to the start of the dungeon... Welp, let's get our revenge!

What's that? Oh, Romero, you must be more careful with your word choices. I didn't realize that you meant slow as in idiotic.

I'm sorry. Ook. I'll try to be more clear when I speak.

I'm shocked that you didn't just give up. Romero, just put them out of their misery.

ALRIGHT! ROUND 2!

Question one eeeeek! A plane crashes on the border between two countries.

Bury the survivors...? You can do better than that, Romero.

Nowhere.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight! You don't bury survivors! You think that's a stupid question, huh? Be happy you got it right!

The second question! No sooner spoken than broken.

Silence.

Question three! Maybe I'll give you a normal question, and not a riddle this time. Eek, eek!

A terrible life.

Ta-daaaah! Correct! You deserve an A, eek eek!

Question four! What is younger the older it gets?

A photograph.

That's it! An older picture is from farther back, so the things in it are younger. Good for you, eek.

That was the fourth question, wasn't it? :smug:

WOO HOO!

Inconceivable! Romero was raised on riddles, and yet, he was somehow defeated by them...

This isn't good! If his ego continues to degrade at its current rate, he's going to die! Your super intelligence is turning into your Achilles' Heel!

Ooooooook... I am slain...

You're lucky I love animals...

RAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

You've exploited humans' kindness towards endangered animals to gain the upper hand! Press your advantage and finish the cretins, Romero!

Why, you little...! :argh:

"Event Battle 2" :siren: Vs. Romero (With Physical Mirror) :siren: Vs. Romero (No Physical Mirror):siren:

Summoner - Romero

HP: 2352
Lv. 45
Resists: Mind, Curse
Nulls: Expel, Death, Nerve

Skills:
Demon Teeth Grind: Attempts to inflict Paralysis to all enemies.
Bad Breath: Attempts to Poison one enemy.
Scratch: Deals Slash damage to right front enemy and splash damage to back.
Feral Bite: Deals Skill damage to one enemy.
Diarama: Heals a hight amount of HP to a single ally.

Hey, Diarama is back to be a massive pain in the rear end! Romero will spend every single turn healing his minions to let them use Meat Bullet again. Once he's alone, the Demon Teeth Grind spam will start. Paralysis sucks, so if you get hit with it, you won't be in danger, but the fight will take another couple of minutes. The real threat are the Rolwoy squad, and speaking of which...

Yoma - Rolwoy

HP: 1294
Lv. 36
Resists: Expel
Nulls: Death
Repels: Ice

Skills:
Meat Bullet: Deals severe Strike damage to one enemy and the user.

These Rolwoys are quite fast and Meat Bullet is VERY dangerous. If you try to aid Romero, he'll spawn 5 of these. If you try to finish him off, he'll only summon three. During battle, Rolwoys will spam Meat Bullet, leaving any ally (and themselves) with 1HP, while Romero allows them to keep using it thanks to Diarama and Meat Bullet's low HP cost. They also have a ton of HP, so much that not even Nemissa will be able to one shot them unless she has a ridiculously high MA and/or several stacks of Makakaja. A neat trick against the Rolwoy squad, and a certain boss much much later in the game, is to use a Physical Mirror. Assuming one of your units is fast enough you can use a Physical Mirror to make them kill themselves thanks to Meat Bullet leaving the caster with 1 HP and then bouncing back the damage. Speaking of Meat Bullet, during this fight I made a terrible discovery. Are you ready...? Here it goes. If Meat Bullet misses, the caster won't take damage. Yeah, that sucks when you have 5 of them to deal with.

"Boss Event End"

That's pretty heartless, Doctor. I tried my best, and I employed the tactics learned from your tutelage. If I'm to blame, one could posit that you are culpable for my failure as well. And could you not call me a monkey?

Whaaaaa? How dare you get uppity on me, you failure!? Don't you talk back to me, monkey!

So that's how it is. Ook. I see now.

Oh, here it comes. :munch:

I followed your orders and guidance because I thought of you as my father, Doctor. But that thought has perished today.

Fine! Leave! See if I care! Why does everyone I work with have to get such an attitude? No gratitude!

Thrill would have a seizure if he realizes I'm the one who has been helping with his investigation. Oh well. :allears:

Unlike the other two side quests, the Primate Intelligence Lab will stay open if you need MAG. Now that we're done monkeying around, let's head to Akane Mall.

I just wonder if I was somehow to blame for this. I was talking about it with my wife.

Poor tutorial little girl.

"Akane Mall"

Looks...normal?

Nevermind.

That dirty ho-bag just has him whipped! If she didn't exist he'd come back to me...! I'm sure of it!

Now move! Do you want to die!?

Hey... Should we stop that person?

Do you want to get stabbed, Hitomi?

Are these the rioters? It looks like a bunch of crazy people.

Are these people that have been infected by the disease that Lunch was talking about? Remember? He said some of the patients started going crazy.

But people with the disease have all had their souls stolen. They shouldn't be moving.

Good point, Nemissa...

I'm not sure... Anyway, more importantly, we need to find Tomato's father...

This was quite a short dungeon, so I decided to upload it a bit earlier instead of following the usual "1 Update per week." You know, the schedule that I toooootally follow 100% of the time! By the way, I've been writing updates non-stop lately, so I probably won't be uploading a new chapter next week. Thank you for your understanding. :ohdear: if you have questions about the LP, suggestions, things that I could improve or just want to leave a comment then go ahead! Even if I don't respond to every single comment, I do read everything.

We're approaching the endgame very quickly and I just wanted to thank everyone who has been reading the LP so far! It means a lot, really. Well then... Ehem!

What the hell is going on at the Akane Mall? Will the MC and Nemissa find Mr. Pawah? Will Romero and Dr. Thrill be friends again? (no) Find out in the next update! :atlus:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll miss Romero, he was extremely cool for the short time we had him on-screen and we're all blessed for witnessing his great intelligence and cunning.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If you'd played Age of Empires II you'd know what a petard is. Guilty of playing too little video games.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten about Quiz Primate adventures.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You're right, I wouldn't have believed it without the screenshots.

A petard is a bomb :eng101:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was sure some monkey business. :v:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 16: Akane Mall

The next dungeon has some very nasty encounters. While equipping Back Mirror and Mr. Surprise is a bit overkill, I'd rather not get a game over.

"Akane Mall"

Ugh... I love this song but it brings some bad memories back. Is it because of the dungeon? Not really. Eventually, you'll understand why I said this.

Mister, what happened? This place is full of freaks.

So, you've already seen them? Well, it seems they came from the back entrance.

Apparently, they got in from the back entrance.

What is this, Nemissa telling the player, or did someone messed up the dialogue?

The warehouses are out there.

So we should be able to figure out what's going on if we investigate the warehouses?

You could, but... It was dangerous, so I locked the back entrance door. Then I lost the key. I slipped and fell earlier, so it must've fallen out of my pocket. If you want to check out the warehouses, you need that key.

We need to find that key. We need to find Tomato's father. Do you remember where you fell?

Hrn, where was it? I believe it was by the beverage corner.

Fetch quests, yay...

Now, how am I supposed to find the beverage corner with these amazing graphics...?

"Normal Battle"

You two have no power here.

Meat..?

Juice boxes.

I can get lost inside a mall by myself, thanks.

"Battle Conversation"

A bitter memory.

Uh... Canned goods?

I'll make them pay... That'll show them... They'll now not to mess with me... My utensils are the greatest...

I'm scared, Tomato...

Demons are fine but this guy is what scares you? To be honest... Same.

Shh! Be quiet! He hasn't noticed we're here...

Urrgh... I'll kill 'em...! Kill 'em all...

If this is a whole bunch of disease victims going crazy, something must be up. And Tomato's dad must've been caught up in this.

This looks like wine... Is this the place?

Wait... How did the key ended up here? I thought the guard dropped it or something... Bah, whatever.

The key is here, by the way.

You should never stop recruiting demons, fusion fodder is as important as your main team.

What? You didn't think that was the dungeon, right? No no... That was only the start, and what lies at the end is way more scarier than any demon.

Yeah

They're nuts! They mumble gibberish, and they've got that cold, dead stare... I thought they were gonna kill me, but... They're actually pretty slow, so I just avoided 'em.

So it does seem like the disease victims are coming from here... Hey, do you know how to get further in?

From what I remember, there are levers at the control room that open and close the doors of the same color. The color combination changes every month, apparently, but I don't know much else.

The gimmick of this place is--

Dammit Kaso, not now.

When a mommy and daddy love each other very much...

As I was saying, this place has several doors. These doors are divided between 3 colors: Yellow, Blue and Red.

So, let's find that switch first.

Hm? Yellowish Green? That was just me talking to myself. Pay no attention to me.

Let's start with the Red doors.

Oh, crap. All three enemies have Mudo, you better come prepared with equipment to null Death or a bunch of Tetraja Stones.

Protecting the MC against Electric damage is also a good idea.

We're getting there...

Once again not showing this negotiation because we already saw it. Pachacamac is a Peruvian God, so yay! Representation.

Petradi cures petrification. Useful for your demons, useless for the MC because getting petrified causes a game over.

Join me. :smug:

Then die! :black101:

This is all I can explore with a single lever, we'll have to combine two of them to find the exit. If you've been paying attention, then you already know the combination.

:flaccid:

Ouch! What the hell, why are these Powers resistant to magic...?

No matter... :unsmigghh:

Excuse me?! You're an angel, you're supposed to be weak to Dark!

They also have Hanma, so be very careful if you or any of your demons are weak to Expel.

Guns seems to work! Now, let's see...

What are those resistances...? Old school Megaten can be so weird at times...

Let's try Red and Yellow now.

Join me? Pretty pleeeease?

gently caress. THIS. DEMON. :argh: I've only seen his ugly face twice and that's enough to be one of my most hated demons in Megaten. In Devil Survivor this guy can cast Judgement, a skill that reduces your HP by HALF or by 75% if you're weak to uh... Curse? Dark? I forgot the affinity but it's the purple one. In Soul Hackers? Well, first of all...

...he drains fire. I hope your Nemissa has a good gun.

:blastu:

And speaking of fire, he also has Maragion. Fire damage seems to be the most common attack type in the game, huh.

Finally!

:argh:

I should start putting more points into AG and EN. I'll definitely need those 2 stats if I plan on tackling endgame content.

Now that I have a good grasp of the map, I think I know what to do.

First, unlock the blue and yellow doors.

This should allow you to find the exit. Just follow the red line.

And voilà, we're here.

To the left we have a one way teleporter back to the entrance.

To the right... The entrance to the hidden area of Akane Mall.

I messed up the screenshot, but you have both a terminal and a healing spot right next to the entrance.

This is... a song? Something's weird. This isn't normal.

Let's find where this sound's coming from, then. It might be a clue.

Heh...

My stock of demons should be full at this point. I wonder what I'll get...

The gimmick is the same, but now you can only activate one switch at a time.

Where is it?

I've never actually seen it before, but all us employees know about it.

Shoot.

Unlike Warehouse 1, there are only two levers, blue and yellow, in the control room. But there are three colors, right? Two colors, three doors. How are you supposed to open the red doors? Mysterious, eh?

Hmm... :magemage:

Nope, I'm not dealing with instakills after all that!

I knew it!

HUH? WHAT...? YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT! I... MUST... DESTROY... THIS WORLD! EVERYONE IN IT MUST DIE!

MUST KILL ALL HUMANS! WORTHLESS HUMANS! FILTHY, SELFISH, BEYOND SALVATION... I HEAR YOU!

:stare:

After all, you can only pull one lever at a time. There's no mistakes to be made.

What about the red doors?

The red doors? I've never opened them. But maybe there is a lever somewhere, since there are doors.

Do I really have to go all the way back to the blue switch? Man...

This demon is starting to be really annoying... If Nemissa isn't able to attack, my damage output is severely reduced.

While Nyamot has Bufula, he's weak to fire... The only demon that can survive Maragion while dealing Ice damage is Python, but...

:flaccid:

Let's fix that.

"Hotel Goumaden"

Now that's what I'm talking about...

I remember that name, Mahamayuri... Where was it, again? Ah, of course. The VR Pet Shop.

"Kingdom House"

Bah.

:hmmno:

Kaso, huh? I wonder if...

Fiiiine... Farming loyalty it is.

Raijin Sword... I like how that sounds...

No loving way! I genuinely forgot that Hazama was here. Hazama is the main villain of Shin Megami Tensei IF...

I want to give the Raijin Sword a try, but I can just resummon Thunderbird back at the Goumaden.

Hero is another secret race, and it requires Zoma Fusion. Currently our level isn't high enough to try it, but I'll show it as soon as I can.

No reapers, drat.

I have no use for these demons, but I plan on completing every single request.

"Paradigm Bank"

There are better ways to get money, but for now this will do...

May as well. I tried fusing a Garrote during the previous update but I used the COMP and he got destroyed. :)

While I have no use for a demon with such a low level...

Remember what I told you? Fusion fodder is very important. Thanks to Garrote we get...

Our very first Reaper demon, Persephone!

Wait, Persephone AND Mahamayuri? We can finish every single Dr. Thrill request now!

:peanut:

Oh :) I... Uh... Right, there are five requests... Metatron is way, WAY out of my league so Imma just...

Would you look at that. Both of my demons magically returned, how strange. I wonder how it happened. :allears:

Baal... Yeah, these are endgame requests. I guess I'll just leave for now.

Come back here, you too.

Sly demons love expensive gifts, and I have plenty.

This isn't Sword Fusion by the way, just Mystic Change.

Raijinto...

Holy... Electricity with splash damage? With some luck I could shock multiple enemies at once!

But now my Denkou Muramasa is useless, let's change that.

Using Scáthach in sword fusion will create a unique weapon, the Gae Bolg! :swoon: There are seven unique weapons you can get using this method, and this is the first one. I'll try to show the other six.

That sure took a while, huh? *Ehem* I'm on my way dad, just... having too much fun here. :sweatdrop:

"Video Muscle"

I almost forgot. At this point in the game, you'll unlock Nerve Bullets. Buy these, they're really really good. Paralysis in Soul Hackers will completely skip your turn until cured, with some luck you can have an enemy completely helpless for several turns.

Remember to save...

Let's try with the yellow doors, now.

More fusion fodder.

Let's see how good these two are.

:dogstare:

:unsmigghh:

Now we're talking!

Still... As Calm demons, they're hard to work with at times.

There we go...

:toot:

Final area.

Why would a Mall need an underground facility...? By the way, the encounter rate down here is very high, be ready or bring Estoma.

Our orders were to keep them asleep until we can process them... They probably didn't use enough sedatives. You two, back to your rooms! If you don't go, you're gonna get the hose again!

Ok, hoe.

...Hmph. It's not like you can even understand me anyway. Worthless shells of people!

Do you get off by acting like this? That's sad.

. . .

Didn't you hear me? I told you to get back to the room, you oafs!

:allears:

What? They're not defenseless patients...! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Someone, help!

Worth it. By the way, this is another instance of Nemissa having different dialogues based on her path. As much as I would like to replay the game twice to check the other two, I'll just... try to finish the update as soon as possible. This time :argh:

...Mr. Pawah!? What's wrong!?

Stay back! It's dangerous to get close to him! Leave him to me!

Gaaaaaaaah... ...Aggghh... Ugh, Tomato.... Hitomi... Gaaaaaah!

Huh!?

Don't worry, it's okay. He's just unconscious...

This place is definitely up to no good. There must be a secret here. That's why his father is like this... If we leave the place like this, something bad will happen. So let's hurry up and figure out what's going on here. We'll need to let Tomato's father wait here.

Hold on, Nemissa. It's dangerous to leave him like this. We need to hide him somewhere.

Hrrrrrrngh...

...I'm sorry, but please wait here. We'll be back for you soon.

NO WAY! :wth:

Apparently his getup's loud, so he won't be hard to miss. Find and detain him. As usual, you're authorized to kill. Now go.

:getin:

Sabbatoma is an invaluable tool during combat and exploration. Nemissa has nothing to do because enemies null her element? Make her summon a demon while your MC does something else. This doesn't sound too impressive at first, but anything that can break action economy in turn-based games is definitely useful. During exploration, this skill completely deletes the MAG cost when summoning demons, leaving only the cost-per-step to deal with.

Final floor...

I hate this demon so much... They'll be a massive pain in the rear end during the next update.

There is a hidden area you can only access through Underground 2.

Bleh.

Better...

Here it is...

We can worry about that later. Let's just hurry up and cut off that drat noise.

:ohdear:

Huh!? Who's there?

"Kuzunoha Family Event"

What are you doing here, Sukeroku?

Hm? You're here to investigate the unknown disease, too?

Yes. And since you Kuzunoha are here, that means the unknown disease is being caused by Phantom, right?

I don't know for certain, but it's only natural to think so. The timing's just too perfect. Also, they're the only ones with enough resources to have a cold sleep chamber like this ready.

Cold sleep? You mean, like cryogenic stasis?

It seems they stuffed the victims of the unknown disease inside here. I don't know why, though... But it seems you've learned a bit about the unknown disease. I suggest you turn your focus to Krypto.

Krypto... The chip inside the Amami City PCs? Why would we look there?

I'm afraid I don't know the details. Madam just told me to tell you.

Madam Ginko... :allears:

Well, I don't see any other traces of Phantom here, so my business here is concluded. I'll see you around.

Are they trying to use us or something? Nemissa doesn't appreciate being sent to go fetch.

I don't think it's like that. We can trust Madam Ginko. It's definitely something we should check out. Anyway, let's get out of here. We need to take your father home.

Yeah, there is no boss fight at the end of Akane Mall. Oh well, at least the next one is a huge difficulty spike to compensate the lack of one here.

"Home"

Cheer up, Tomoko. I'm sure he'll get better.

Yeah... I hope so...

First Tomoko, then him... Why is this happening to my family...?

Because he didn't study enough.

Don't worry, Mrs. Pawah, It's not like it's a terminal disease... I'm sure he'll be all right.

You're right... I need to be strong right now. I'll trust your words. But please, don't be so reckless.

NEMISSA!

Oh, don't worry... E-Excuse us. Tomato, let's go.

Not this again...

...No, I'm not playing Paradigm X. Dad and I both started acting strange while we were playing it, huh. Is it me, or is there a voice coming from inside this thing? Like something moaning... or chanting.

It's scary...

I'd just prefer if she stops using that PC, but oh well... Back to the HQ.

"Hideout"

It's possible, right? Like Paradigm X, the Krypto Chip is the only used in Amami City.

I see... It's worth checking out. Hey, Lunch, show me the Krypto Chip that was in this PC.

Huh? What are you talking about?

Don't play games with me. You swapped it out for the prototype chip your dad was talking about, didn't you?

Heh heh... I can't fool you, huh?

Don't get on my case. If the Krypto Chip's the cause of this disease, then I just saved everyone here.

Jury's still on that, Lunch. Don't go patting yourself on the back just yet. Anyway, open it.

Yu-Ichi! Are you okay?

...Yeah...... I'm fine....

Six... :cripes:

Six!

Wh-What? Look, I'm glad you're back, too...

That's right, I haven't told him yet. You see, the recent wave of--

It's okay... Don't mind me... I'll just watch.....

Hm? O-Okay. Then... just sit back and learn something.

"Suspicious Occasion"

Gotcha, leave it to me.

Huh!? Is something moving!?

Ewww...

H-Hey, what was that!?

Do you know what this orb-like thing in the middle is?

No. I've never seen a chip like this. I'd almost say... it looks organic...?

Huh!? Hang on, didn't you guys see the weird pink insect!?

What're you talking about? I'm looking inside the chip, I wasn't paying attention to insects in the room.

If flew out of the chip! Just now! You didn't see it!?

Oooooookay then.... :confused:

You saw it too, right!?

Yeah.... It was really beautiful.....

Yu-Ichi is the only other person who saw it? What's going on?

These chips are manufactured at Algon Microelectronics just north of here, right? Why don't we sneak in? If we see how they're producing this things, we might learn something.

Yeah, let's do that. There's definitely something weird about that chip. There's got to be a secreet.

If we sneak in, we could cause trouble for him...

Lunch...

H-Hey. Lunch, are you sure about this?

If the Krypto Chip is causing this strange disease, then I want to see it with my own eyes. If you guys don't want to go there, I'll do it myself.

Then if Lunch is okay with this, let's do it. We don't want to cause trouble, right?

...Fine, Yu-Ichi, what are you going to do?

I'll go.....

...I see All right, let's get moving.

It's good to be back! This was a bit of a short update, but the secret of the Krypto Chip is about to be revealed. Algon Microelectronics, on the other hand is probably the second biggest dungeon in the game. Will I need two updates to cover the dungeon? You'll find out once you read Update 17. See you! :atlus:

Also... You, yes you, will be able to decide which boss to kill for Update 18, during the third and final Vision Quest. Please, look forward to it!

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 21, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have image 529 (Spooky saying Lunch's father works at Algon MS) twice. The first one seems to be the wrong one.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have image 529 (Spooky saying Lunch's father works at Algon MS) twice. The first one seems to be the wrong one.

Ty Ty! :keke:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 17: Algon Microelectronics.

"2D Field"

All the chips that power the computers that are the backbone of Amami City are made right here.

NPCs having extra dialogue when you travel with the Spookies is such a cool detail.

"Video Muscle"

Thank you, Finders Keepers. :homebrew:

If you don't have a good gun, now it's the time to upgrade it. Two of the most annoying enemies in Algon Microelectronics have a Gun weakness.

Nemissa gets this gun with infinite ammo. The power and accuracy are rather decent, but the lack of ammo types really hurts her. I don't know why I changed her weapon when Nerve Bullets exist, oh well.

"Nemechi"

Nemechi's first Male form is this Octopus, let's see the demons it unlocks.

We get SMT II Nekomata and-- Aww... Black Frost was here? Dammit. I would've loved to use him...

Nemissa gets two wonderful armor pieces at the cost of losing the stat boosts from her armor set.

I'd say we're more than ready. Nemissa even has more Defense and Evasion than me.

"Hotel Goumaden"

Healing skills, ailments, instant death, electric damage. You name it.

Genbu (or Gui Xian in some games) is one of my favourite demons. He's usually a tank with low TP while having Ice skills and buffs/debuffs. Once he reaches Lv. 5 Loyalty, I'll use his soul to get a piece of Nemissa's ultimate armor.

Strong against Phys, being able to inherit buffs and good damage? COME HERE!

Nothing to say about this one, she's just fusion fodder.

:argh: I hate when I'm one level short to fuse something good, I'll remember you, Kudlak...

I know, I know!

"Spookies"

All the Algon buildings are huge. Not that I care. Although, how come our HQ isn't something like this, leader?

Hahaha! A hacker owning a high-rise? Yeah... that'd be a change of pace.

We can't get in without a key card.

I'm way ahead of ya. I wouldn't have us come here just to get denied before we even got into the building.

Huh? What's that?

It's my ace decoder. It can unlock basic electronics like this in a snap.

You're always there for me, Lunch.

Let's get moving. Nothing's more suspicious-looking than a mass of people huddled around a door.

All right, let's start by looking for the Krypto Chip production line. This is a huge place, so even though I hate doing this, we'll need to split up.

"Algon Microelectronics"

Algon Microelectronics... In a way, you could say its massive size IS the gimmick. Using my own footage as reference, this place took me over four hours to complete!

I'll start with all my demons summoned. I'm not taking any chances here.

There are four Production Lines, two on each side. You'll have to unlock all of them to reach the boss. Luckily the third one, located at the south west area of the minimap, isn't locked.

...! Hey! This is a clean facility! Why're you walking around here in plain clothes!? You'll get dust in here! Get out NOW!

Sheesh... Sorry.

"Normal Battle"

Random encounters in Algon Microelectronics really stand out compared to the rest of the game, the enemies love to use status effects against you.

Since ailments fall into different categories, they're impossible to prevent entirely. Just accept you'll inevitably get hit with one or more.

STOP! What about this?

Oh, they drain electricity... Umm... :shepicide:

I haven't tested this with every single ailment, but it is possible to run away from battle while Charmed.

Confusion/Sleep (Mind), Bomb (Nerve) and Charm (Curse) are the ailments you'll encounter here. Go ahead and pick your poison, I'll be wearing equipment to null Curse. This choice will come back to bite me in the rear end later...

I also decided to equip this armor piece to null Death, just in case.

Amazon has a skill called Yabusame Shot. It's fairly powerful but...

...it requires the enemy to be Marked. I just wanted to mention that for later.

I love this new sword. Meanwhile, Nemissa will lower the HP of the backline enemies to avoid their most powerful physical skill, Eat Whole. I've been spreading her stats a bit more than usual, but a Nemissa who is fully focused on Magic should be able to one shot any enemy at this point.

:unsmigghh:

Now, Cabracan!

:black101:

There is a certain charm when both you and your demons work together. Messages like "Got it!" really make you feel like a Summoner trying to get along with his demons.:allears:

Of course, it doesn't always work... But that's just part of the fun.

"Battle Conversation"

Don't judge me. For some reason these dialogues have a higher success rate.

I want your child.

I think kids are a pain. But, you know what? I think maybe you and I will get along. Hey, do you believe in fate? ...Hee hee! I think I like you.

:toot:

Bleh.

:dogstare: If you see this encounter, you better take the fight seriously.

The enemy surrounding Kaso is called Duergar, and he's very resistant to magic.

Physical damage works just fine, while Gun and Skill damage are his weakness. While he can hit really hard with Maragi and Bufula, the real threat...

...is this motherfucker called Tangata Manu. In the previous update I mentioned that I hated this demon, and the reason is a skill he has called Mite Breath.

Mite Breath has a chance to inflict bomb. Now, I would like you to look at the 3 enemies in the front line. Do you see where this is going? Yep! Mite Breath + 3 Fire demons. Get rid of him immediately, or wear equipment to null Nerve, otherwise you'll explode and die..

Let me in! :bang:

Once he has a reason to get on you, he'll never let up. Be careful not to get spotted by him.

I loooooooove being weak to Mind...

There we go...

:bang: Fine.

Hohohohoho! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Y-Yeaaahhhhhhhh! Laugh with meeee! Bwahahahaahhahahahahh!

. . .

..hahaha..ah... No worries.

I''m not going to worry about iiiit About whaaaaaaaaaaaat

DEMONS CAN RECRUIT OTHERS FOR YOU?! I know that's a thing in other games, but in Soul Hackers!? :pwn:

:rant: :cawg:

Thanks, Alraune.

My stomach hasn't been right for the last few days. I think it might be because of the chips...

I recruit Halphas on the way back to try the skill I mentioned earlier.

Hmm, not bad...

Access B, huh.

Same! I love status effects.

There we go!

I just need to go back to the first floor.

When Nemissa got this armor piece from a chest, for some reason I felt like I needed more defense so I equipped a different bracelet. It's not like Instant Death has been a huge threat so fa--

"Game Over"

Then this happened. :) Overconfidence truly is a slow and insidious killer. After retracing my steps, fusing everything again (because I forgot to save :cripes:) and equipping armor to null Death...

...this happened.

:tif:

*siiiiiiiiigh* Okay, if that's how you want to play... :argh:

I use Vivian to create Excalibur. Yes, THE Excalibur.

And Genbu to create the ultimate boots for Nemissa, making her immune to Electricity at the cost of being weak to Force. Now, it's time to fuse better demons.

Empty Wave, that's all I can say for now. Those resistances are crazy, though...

Ice immunity and Makakaja. Kudlak is a vital tool against the boss of this dungeon.

How could I summon Kudlak and not do the same for his nemesis Kresnik?

Zionga.

Rakunda and Sukunda, once again, vital against the boss.

And Orthrus because I love dogs.

Duergar is weak to Skill so I'll make sure he gets a warm welcome by Setanta...

NOTE TO SELF: KEEP THIS RING EQUIPPED ALL THE TIME.

Who wants to die first!? :black101:

TRY CASTING MARAGI NOW! Also, pretty cool animation, don't you think? :allears:

Unfortunately, this line isn't running right now. We won't be able to find anything out while it's off.

Let's look somewhere else.

...Sure. See you guys around. Stay safe.

Do you know how many times I had to deal with Charm so I could prevent Confusion or Sleep...?!

10... 9... 8...

W-Wait! I-I'm really sorry!!

And so, my revenge arc begins.

:smugjones:

We're best friends, aren't we!?

Nice to meet you...

G o o d, that's exactly what I want.

Sorry to give you bad news, but it looks like this line's offline.

Huh? I guess we should. See you Tomatoe.

Time for some fun.

Empty Wave costs a lot of HP, but the damage it can deal is ridiculous.

And Loyalty Fist has a funny animation.

GO!

Join me or die.

Third floor at last.

We have top-secret data stored on this floor... If the factory manager finds you, you're going to regret it.

I love how the NPCs are not worried about the Spookies being there, but about the manager finding you instead.

AY AKA-MANTO.

I can't stress enough how good Dark Man is. Being able to talk to any demon regardless of their alignment is great.

We finally get access to 2F's left side.

YES! YES! YES!

Okay this should be the final Chip Production Line left...

To be honest at this point I don't even know what I'm unlocking anymore...

Get hosed. You're not match for Empty Wave.

This tooootally doesn't look like a secret door, right? Bah, it's not like we can interact with it yet.

Nemissa getting all the good loot during the update...

You guys got here fast. Is this where they make the chips?

Look... That shining orb is getting covered...

Ewww...

"Suspicious Occasion"

Wh-Who said that!?

Y-You... Oh, I get it now... You're a member of the Society, aren't you?

Society? I see... You're here for the same reason I am.

Same reason? What are you talking about?

You're here to investigate the secret of the Krypto chip, I assume. You think it's causing the unknown disease...

You rear end in a top hat! You knew all that and you didn't do anything about it!?

Hey, give me a break! I only found out recently. If I'd known earlier, I wouldn't have let it happen.

Yeah, right! You're the type of guy who backstabs other people just to get promoted! Because of you, Mom...!

I'm assuming you're talking about when this factory was taken over right? You're right. I did have to betray a lot of good people who'd helped me out during that situation. Do you know why?

I didn't do it for money, power, or a better position.

Well, then why the hell'd you do it!?

I lost a lot of sleep over that decision... In the end, they left me no choice... I had to do as they asked. Even then, the strain it put on your mother was still too great...

N-No way... You did that for Mom and me...?

Listen, Junnosuke. Your father's never making that mistake again. Going along with the plans of evil people can only lead you to evil things happening to you, after all...

I'm sure that you know most of what happens in this factory, since you work here.

I had the same suspicions you guys did, and I wanted to learn about the Spore implanted in the chip.

Spore?

That's the term they have for that core. I only heard the factory manager mention it... I don't know what it is. Even within this factory, the specifications of that part are top secret. All data is stored in the Center Room.

Tell us how to get to that Center Room!

What are you planning on doing, Junnosuke? This has nothing to do with you. Over time, I slowly realized that there's a sinister organization behind all this stuff.

But that's something for grown adults to handle You kids have no real reason to actually fight something like this. Poking your heads into something like this just for fun or curiosity could very easily get you killed. Let this old man handle it.

Leader, what's your call?

I understand what you're saying, but Dad, we're already past the point of no return. Even if we stop, they're not just going to ignore us. So, why don't you leave this to us?

I see... Well, if you're that determined to see this through, then I won't say anything more...

There's a locked door on the third floor. The Center Room's past that door.

Great let's go. If it's locked, we can just use Lunch's--

Shut uuuuuuup!

That decoder won't unlock that door. Speaking of which, I can't believe you took that too...

What? You didn't make it, Lunch?

Oho~

It's more likely to be open if you have someone on the inside. Don't worry, I'll write t up as a machine error.

...Is it okay for you to do that?

Hey, don't worry about me, worry about yourselves. You picked the hard job. Keep an eye out for the Factory Manager. There's something unsettling about him. You definitely don't want to run into him.

Thank you, Mister.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

If you've been watching my videos, you may have noticed that I tend to use attacks against bosses that nullify that specific damage type. This isn't on purpose, I genuinely don't remember what the bosses do most of the time. "But what about the boss overview?" Yeah... I write those after recording.

"Tomato what the gently caress does that have to do with anything." Well, the next boss has been living rent free inside my head since I played the game for the first time. The Factory Manager is tougher than every single boss we've seen so far.

First of all, you need equipment to null Mind. You'll make your life 10 times harder if you don't. "But what about the lower DEF and EVA--" No, you NEED this.

Second, a way to nullify either Electric or Ice Damage, preferably the first one.

Our stats.

Third, a team without elemental weaknesses, or at least as little as possible. In my case, only Kudlak is weak to Fire. Both him and Rakshasa will be changed when needed.

Of course. Hmmm, so this is the Center Room... So? Figure anything out yet?

Hey, there's no need to rush things. We just found a file.

"Possession by Nemissa"

It's a top secret file. It's obviously going to have heavy security on it.

Can you hack it? Spooky... You can do it, right?

Yeah, I can hack it, but it's going to take time. There's several layers of security. We'd be caught before I finished.

Well, what're we gonna do? We won't get another chance to get all the way here.

Try using this program. It should be perfect for cracking passwords.

Huh? What's that?

It's the program in Dad's decoder I used back at the entrance.

I'll give it a shot...

"Hacking into Algon" :siren: Hacking into Algon (Video) :siren:

"Suspicious Occasion"

The file is over 15 screenshots so I'll just write it down...

quote:

The Krypto Chip is a new CPU Chip designed by Kadokura and Algon Soft.

It boasts tremendous processing power and reduced power usage, but its key feature is the ability to accumulate souls.

The Krypto Chip's ability to harvest souls and the accumulation cycle is as follows.

Inside the Krypto Chips are living elements called "Spores"

These Spores spawn images with the ability to capture souls. They are known as "Carriers".

Carriers are a lifeform with both electromagnetic and spiritual properties, allowing them to travel through the net.

When a Carrier captures a soul, it will instinctively return to the parent body through an internet connection.

The following set-up appears to be the most optimal way of implementing the soul accumulation process.

Supply every household with a machine with a Krypto Chip and have all of them connect to the internet.

Humans using the PC will eventually have their souls harvested by the Carriers, and those souls will be taken to the parent body.

This plan will allow the parent body to absorb a massive amount of souls with minimal time and effort.

Humans who have had their souls harvested will end up in a catatonic, lifeless state.

This concludes the summary of Krypto Chip's specifications and our plans for it.

That looks about right to me. They're using this chip to steal souls from humans. That bug-like thing would be the delivery system.

You're really just accepting that, Hitomi? Although I gotta say, that IS a lot of detail for a fake file...

Way too much detail if you ask me.

It said that humans who had their soul captured become lifeless, right? They gotta be talking about the sick people. The ones who have that disease. Their plan to steal souls is underway in all of Amami City.

All the patients suffering from the unknown disease are victims of this chip. I can't even process how someone could even conceive of this plan. I can't believe that Algon Soft is part of all this! That means that they were DEFINITELY in league with the Phantom Society...

So then, Paradigm X... Even this model city... They were all to steal people's souls...!

A piece of the puzzle's still missing. This spore thing doesn't seem like something humans could invent or build. Dad said these were being sent here from Algon Soft...

Even if we assume that souls are real and harvestable... Why does the Phantom Society want a bunch of souls that badly?

Foreshadowing.

Who said that!? Show yourself!

"Finnegan Entrance"

I've been going insane in these stagnant days without battle... But my personal hell has finally come to an end. I can quench my thirst for blood by seeing it spurting from such young bodies. Finally, I will revel in the bloodmist again!

So, I'm guessing this guy's the creepy factory manager we were warned about.

He's only pretending to be human. He reeks of demon.

That's no secret. Even I figured that out. If this guy wasn't a demon, he'd be the most psychotic serial killer in history.

Why are they taking turns roasting him?

Now that there's no more need for deception. I'll introduce myself. I am Shemyaza, master of the magical arts.

You sound like you knew we were coming.

Ha ha ha! Oh, you fool. We didn't just know you were coming here. We know your every move.

What!? What are you talking about!?

That information won't let you escape death or help you in the afterlife. It'd be pointless to tell you. But before you die, I must thank you. Knowing this day was coming allowed me to get through all the torturous days before it.

Well, if you're going to kill us, what's the harm in telling us? Why are you collecting all these souls, Demon?

I'll be sure to etch that question on your gravestone. I told you, you're getting no answers from me, corpse.

What do we do, Leader?

We stalled long enough that I could copy the data we decrypted. Let's get out of here.

You guys get out of here. We'll deal with the demon.

Thanks and sorry. We'll be at HQ, so make sure you come back safe.

A young Summoner and a user of the dark arts...

"Event Battle 2" :siren: Vs. Shemyaza :siren:

Tyrant - Shemyaza

HP: 6434
Lv. 52
Nulls: Expel, Death, Ailments, Skill
Repels: Fire, Ice

Skills:
Maragion: Deals heavy Fire damage to all enemies.
Mabufula: Deals heavy Ice damage to all enemies. Has a chance to Freeze.
Mazionga: Deals heavy Electric damage to all enemies. Has a chance to Shock.
Megidola: Deals heavy Almighty damage to a row of enemies.
Delta Pupula: Attempts to confuse the entire party. Shemyaza only skill.

Shemyaza is a huge difficulty spike for several reasons. Let's start with the obvious one, his resistances. Is your Nemissa using Fire/Ice spells? Well, she is now stuck as a dedicated healer. This has some pros and cons.

Pros:

- Mind immunity means uninterrupted healing.
- Her high Magic and Agility makes Media perfectly viable through the entire fight, allowing the party to attack safely.

Cons:

- Massive damage loss.
- Requires both Electrictiy/Ice and Mind immunity to be reliable.

Keep in mind, if you're using the Sexy Build none of this matters and you can just shock Shemyaza's rear end. Speaking of which...!

Despite being immune to ailments, Shemyaza can be shocked with Electric skills or weapons. :unsmigghh: I'll be using this to my advantage the entire fight with the Raijinto and Setanta's Electric Backfist. A few more demons have Electric skills, but we're the only ones that are fast enough to attack Shemyaza before he can act.

Let's talk about his skills now. Having access to all the heavy elemental skills and Almighty damage means no one is safe, and any weaker demons will be killed in a single blow. Using Rakukaja at least twice is heavily encouraged unless you have a dedicated healer with Mediarama that can go right after Shemyaza, but this is unreliable. And finally... his unique skill, Delta Pupula.

This skill can inflict Confusion to the entire party, do I need to say more?

Depending on RNG, your demons can just chill there for a single turn until you can cure them or... leave the party. If this happens at the wrong time, you're hosed. Oh right, remember that looooooooooooong rear end introduction with the sequence of Spooky hacking, the explanation about the Krypto chip and Shemyaza's dialogue? Well, if you lose against Shemyaza, you'll have to go through all that again. No pressure, right?

My strategy revolves around buffing my Magic, then switching demons to burst him down. Any lucky Shock before that is more than welcome. Buffs in Soul Hackers work different than most games. If a demon has buffs, and you return it to the COMP, it will lose them. Using buffs in Soul Hackers will buff your entire group, so any demon you bring will have every previously casted buff active. Shemyaza doesn't have a way to dispel your buffs or remove his debuffs. Just play slowly at the start and once you have a decent stack of Tarukaja or Makakaja, hit him as hard as you can with Electricity or Phys damage.

"Final Event 1"

Wh-What's with this guy? He's happy about dying?

Now I'm guaranteed the day of judgement. And Azazel and Satanael are still here. They can kill you.

...N-No, wait! There's still a problem! There's still something hindering our plans! Nemissa...! That's right, Nemissa!

Wh-What? What are you going on about all of a sudden!?

No, I can't accept death yet... I must deal with her... Or Manitou...

I don't know why he knew me! I don't even now who he is! But, maybe... Maybe they know who locked Nemissa up...

Well, there's no reason to think about it right now. If we don't do something quick, everyone's gonna lose their souls!

Another villain who dies before revealing the truth... Oh well.

"Hideout"

Perfect timing, the show's about to begin.

What are you talking about?

We're gonna be the new must-watch show. We're jacking the airwaves. We uploaded the information we got from the factory to the news, and it'll also be broadcast on Paradigm X Air Vision. We'll be able to warn all the citizens of the danger of the Krypto Chip and Phantom's schemes all at once.

We'll use their own systems to get everyone to stop using their systems. Hoist by their own petard! Boom!

A perfect hack. We get to stay undetected while we accomplish our mission.

Right... Good job Yu-Ichi.

Ooh, it's starting. It's showtime, everybody!

Huh...Hm? O-Oh, please, excuse me for a moment.

Hehehehe, here it comes...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have breaking news to report.

"Possession by Nemissa"

They released photos of the four suspects to the public. They are as follows.

Well, poo poo.

No... Everyone's been...

These four people make up the hacker group "Spookies." And have been charged with tampering with critical system data. Once the authorities determined that they were a threat to public safety, they enlisted the help of Algon Soft, maker of Paradigm X, and today their joint efforts have finally led to the identification of the four suspects. Also...

Instead of outing Algon Soft, we got outed! This is completely the opposite of what was supposed to happen!

...Well, we ARE hackers, and hacking is illegal...

That's not the issue right now! We HACK! They're stealing people's souls!

Who would be sending mail at a time like this!?

What the hell, it's not decoded. Just put that into the Spookies communication tool and--

Whoa whoa whoa. Why is that message encrypted like that? The entire group is right here.

...Let's decode it.

Kadokura? Isn't that the name of Algon Soft's president?

Why would Leader be getting mail from the President of Algon Soft?

:pwn:

You.....

Six, it's a lie! Somebody... set me up! I'd never sell you guys out!

How does he know you, then?

So he DOES know you!

Whaaaat? Really?

It was only to earn funding and to find out what Algon Soft was doing on the inside.

So why'd you keep that secret all this time? You didn't think that was important information?

Good point...

Because I was worried that it'd end up being something like this. You'd all be harboring doubts about me. Besides, I'm not even a real employee of Algon. I just do some contract coding for them.

...Do you think we're dumb enough to fall for that?

You too, Yu-Ichi? Think about what you're saying!

I AM thinking about it! How come you're the only one of us hackers here who isn't wanted!?

Yeah... Now that you mention it...

But then... :magemage:

And you're the one who suggested going after the Phantom Society in the first place!

You've been working with them ever since the beginning, when you "got caught" in the Algon NS building!

Would the Phantom Society really trust such an important task to someone like Carol J...?

You've been screwin' with us this whole time...

Sure it is. Whatever, man. I'm done with this.

Me, too. I'd rather take my chances on my own than stay here with a traitor and wait to get busted!

N-No, you can't...

...Goodbye, Spooky.

Yu-Ichi...

Just like the choice Madam Ginko gives you when you meet her at the Goumaden, supporting Spooky has a "secondary effect" but once again it's NG+ only.

I'm staying with Spooky. End of the story.

Huh!? You serious, Tomatoe?

It's Tomato's choice, right!? Are you just gonna bail on your friend because of one stupid email? I'm staying with Tomato

Have fun.

Later.

They can do what they want. Tomato's right.

Leader did a lot for us. Plus, if he did sell us out, why is he still here? Why wouldn't he have left already? Tomato still believes in Leader. That's why he stayed.

Leader definitely helped out our mission. There's no denying that...

I just don't buy it. I know everyone is mad but, why would Leader stay behind with Six when Mayonne tried to destroy the trailer? Why would he ask the Reticulian for help and not expose them as well? How did Kadokura managed to send the email just at the right time? If he has been fooling us all this time, then give this man a loving award. But for now, I'll trust Spooky.

If you're wondering what happens if you decide to Leave, well...

quote:

Then hurry up and come.

Hold. I have to talk with Tomato about something. You guys go on ahead.

Heh, whatever.

What are you doing, Tomato!? Are you really going to let a message from someone you've never met change your mind about your comrade?

I was starting to have a better opinion of your friendship. I didn't think it was all that bad. So, why don't you just have a little faith? You're not going to let this supposed betrayal get to you, are you?

...Thank you. Thank you so much....

Nemissa gets all tsundere after brutally murdering the MC in front of Hitomi, who just agrees silently. Remember when she was rude to every single member of Spookies?

quote:

You've come a long way, Nemissa. :allears:

...!? Hey, look! Something's on the monitor.

"Redman"

Kinap!

Pawah. He has begun to move. There's no time. At this rate, many more souls shall fall prey to him...

Hurry. Meet me at the movie theater. Come...

Let's go!

(Uh--! Leader's still here...)

(No time to spare, remember!? Plus, he's not not-involved. Let's hurry)

If you say so, Nemissa...

:ohdear:

As you know, many souls are about to be swallowed by the electric sea. It has... begun to walk the path of evil.

"It...?"

You are the only ones who can stop it. Please lend me your power.

You keep changing forms and ordering us around, but just who are you, Kinap!?

Words change shape, blurring their meaning. That is why I have been inviting you to take the Vision Quests.

And Nemissa... Your destiny, as well...

What!? So... you do know about me!?

Pawah, prepare yourself and go.

:siren: Naomi Intro :siren:

"Chinese Restaurant"

"Suspicious Occasion"

God, she's gorgeous.

"Futagamikado Basement"

Let's see... "Head north and you will find the ruins. There will be a fork in the road."

At least that's what the briefing Mr. Nishi gave me says... Well, it doesn't matter.

So... Who are Tiamat and Apsu?

Tiamat

"The primordial goddess of Babylonian lore.
She governs the sea and gave birth to many deities with her consort Apsu, the god of fresh water. When war broke out between her and those gods, she created 11 monsters to fight with her, but they were defeated by Marduk. Her body was ripped apart and used to make the world."

Apsu

"A Mesopotamian god of the deep waters.
Apsu existed since the birth of time and is depicted as a freshwater sea. He is the source of knowledge and made the lands fertile. His fresh water mixed with that of Tiamat, the deification of the chaotic salt waters, and from there the main gods were born."

You only need to kill one of them to proceed, simple enough. However... Depending on who we kill, the final boss will have different affinities and skills. And now, I ask you, who should Naomi defeat? Write it in bold text. Don't worry about me, just pick whichever you want. See you in the next update! :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 24, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Apsu looks punchable

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for Tiamat, because she's overused in D&D.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Voting Tiamat.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Beat up Tiamat!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have never had a single good experience with a Tiamat so beat her up for all the other enemies in other games that share her name.

What would've changed if you decided to go with Six and Lunch rather than stay with Spooky? I imagine it's a but thou must situation but I'm curious.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fight Apsu. There are enough Tiamats in other games that I want to give her spouse some screen time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Beat up Apsu, Tiamat gets enough of a raw deal in the real mythology. (Well, so does Apsu but he actually deserves it some.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You fight Tiamat enough in other SMT titles that I'd go for Apsu.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have never had a single good experience with a Tiamat so beat her up for all the other enemies in other games that share her name.

What would've changed if you decided to go with Six and Lunch rather than stay with Spooky? I imagine it's a but thou must situation but I'm curious.

Then hurry up and come.

Hold. I have to talk with Tomato about something. You guys go on ahead.

Heh, whatever.

What are you doing, Tomato!? Are you really going to let a message from someone you've never met change your mind about your comrade?

I was starting to have a better opinion of your friendship. I didn't think it was all that bad. So, why don't you just have a little faith? You're not going to let this supposed betrayal get to you, are you?

...Thank you. Thank you so much....

To put it bluntly, she gets all tsundere after brutally murdering the protagonist while Hitomi watches. Remember when she was rude to every single member of Spookies, except for Lunch? Oh Nemissa, you've come a long way. :allears:

Just like the choice Madam Ginko gives you when you meet her at the Goumaden, supporting Spooky has a "secondary effect" but once again it's NG+ only.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, as I expected, you don't really have a choice. It's probably a good idea to add that to the update for anyone reading this later.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, as I expected, you don't really have a choice. It's probably a good idea to add that to the update for anyone reading this later.

I like the way you think. Done. :hmmyes:

Also, Nemissa IS rude the Lunch at the very start of the game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
+1 vote for Apsu, Tiamat is played out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sure, I'll change my vote to Apsu.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there anyway you can trim your update size by half? Thr last one took forever to load

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there anyway you can trim your update size by half? Thr last one took forever to load

Try the LPix link. If you ever need to use it again, it's linked on the LP's first page.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Let's clown Apsu. Clowning on Tiamat is passe, after all.

Also this is a great LP!

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Let's clown Apsu. Clowning on Tiamat is passe, after all.

Also this is a great LP!

Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

And to no one's surprise... Wait, lemme just...