Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
there is for sure, pulling any anchor will trigger anomalies in the area to hone in on you/spawns new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Al! posted:

there is for sure, pulling any anchor will trigger anomalies in the area to hone in on you/spawns new ones

When this condition is in effect, it specifically spawns a squall of some kind, which they don't normally do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Everything in life is improved by chucking a flare somewhere downfield before you do the thing. But taking an anchor especially

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Everything in life is improved by chucking a flare somewhere downfield before you do the thing. But taking an anchor especially

Wait do flares distract anomalies besides tourists?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They definitely work on any "grabbing" type anomaly, they love that poo poo and seemed to me to go for flares over anything else. It might be purely in my mind but I felt like flares had some even further general distracting influence too yeah

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 28, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They definitely work on any "grabbing" type anomaly, they love that poo poo and seemed to me to go for flares over anything else. It might be purely in my mind but I felt like flares had some even further general distracting infuence too yeah

I keep a flaregun on hand specifically for Bubblegum Buddies and Pickpockets.

Also if you hit an Abductor with your flare it instantly starts making angry noises and starts flinging the flare around. It's kinda cute :3:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah most stuff that moves will go for flares instead of you if there's one around. You can drive right under abductors and they'll totally ignore you if there's a nearby flare for them to play with instead. Stuff that doesn't specifically aim for you I think will ignore flares and just keep doing what it was always doing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I grabbed an anchor and geysers opened up, one of them immediately beside the door to the car delaying my attempt to feed it the anchor and requiring me to attempt to drop it, run around, get in the car, move it enough to get in, go back around the car and pick up the anchor. The resulting scene would best be described via Benny Hill episodes involving bunnies attaching themselves to the car and taking the shifter out of park, my car briefly in a tree, myself flying through the air multiple times, and a deathstar of flares in every direction to distract tourists.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

They definitely work on any "grabbing" type anomaly, they love that poo poo and seemed to me to go for flares over anything else. It might be purely in my mind but I felt like flares had some even further general distracting influence too yeah

Good to know, thanks!

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

I grabbed an anchor and geysers opened up, one of them immediately beside the door to the car delaying my attempt to feed it the anchor and requiring me to attempt to drop it, run around, get in the car, move it enough to get in, go back around the car and pick up the anchor. The resulting scene would best be described via Benny Hill episodes involving bunnies attaching themselves to the car and taking the shifter out of park, my car briefly in a tree, myself flying through the air multiple times, and a deathstar of flares in every direction to distract tourists.

I often try to park a good distance from the anchor and just sprint for it, so that I'm out of range of any new anomalies before I try to actually put the anchor in the car and drive off, but this might be a really sloppy way of dealing with this poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just fyi wriggling wrecks dont seem to react to flares. theyre usually easy to avoid but is there something that sets them off? i had a bad experience with one early on and they still spook me

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm wondering if I've missed something - I've just got access to the mid zone, do I have to drive through 3-4 outer zone areas every time I want to get there?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eminent DNS posted:

I often try to park a good distance from the anchor and just sprint for it, so that I'm out of range of any new anomalies before I try to actually put the anchor in the car and drive off, but this might be a really sloppy way of dealing with this poo poo

Nah that's what I do, and normally it works but I guess I was juuuuuust a little bit too close. The geyser didn't pop up under the car, it was outside the door and slinging me around every time I tried to be cute and time it to sneak past then Yakety Sax started up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm wondering if I've missed something - I've just got access to the mid zone, do I have to drive through 3-4 outer zone areas every time I want to get there?

Extracting from more and more junctions will eventually unlock highways that usually mean you only have to do one or two inner zone steps to reach mid zone. I didn't complete the map but I don't think you ever get to skip the outer zone entirely

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It depends what zones you've already explored - if you've got a highway zone you haven't been to yet (the ones with the shield shaped icon), you should go there first because they unlock more direct routes deeper into the zone.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
the worst part of pacific drive is that they won't let me bring home a happy hare

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

the worst part of pacific drive is that they won't let me bring home a happy hare

they dont even need to heal my car i just want one hanging out in the garage with me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wait a second, has anyone tried putting a happy hare in their back seat

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Al! posted:

wait a second, has anyone tried putting a happy hare in their back seat

I actually had one spawn in the trunk of the free scrap car outside the garage one time. However it didn't persist when I came back. I have mixed feelings about it because I want a buddy of course but actually in the chilling in the garage context it makes really annoying sounds

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I actually had one spawn in the trunk of the free scrap car outside the garage one time. However it didn't persist when I came back. I have mixed feelings about it because I want a buddy of course but actually in the chilling in the garage context it makes really annoying sounds

you WHAT?!?!?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I finally found my Honey Pot anomaly, and also learned that despite throwing and kicking plenty of them, I'd never actually scanned a Bolt Bunny.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I have had items thrown at me out of nowhere multiple times. Almost every time its when I am in the middle of nowhere with nothing around and I get out to repair a tire or something, then I suddenly get pelted with a repair goo or a stable core. I've noticed I hear a lot of bush rustling before and after it happens so maybe related?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Unlocking highways is super important because one garage update you get lets you skip highway junctions. So once you've got like 3 connected highways you can go straight to the deep zone without stopping on the way.
I'm not sure I'd actually advise this because you may wind up in a junction with a greater leave cost than it has available cores and you'd be stuck. But you can definitely skip quite a few on the way!

Another reason I wish the game was paced slower. I'm trying to explore the entire map but there's really no need to except for its own sake, I'm swimming in every material but Olympium and Red Balloons, and the latter is used for like, two upgrades and then never again, it seems.

Kyte posted:

Anyone else got issues with the game's diegetic UIs (Fabrication station, Tinker station, dashboard, etc)? They play really badly with TAA and especially High-or-lower DLSS, even at ultra high DLSS transitions are super smeary. Only way to solve it from what I've seen is to turn off TAA & DLSS completely, but that's not exactly ideal. I already tried updating the DLL.
Yes, extremely. It's so bad I was talking to a friend about it and they said they thought it was intentional, like an artifact of old monitors that would get display burn-in. It's caused by DLSS almost entirely, TAA has no real impact there with DLSS off. It streaks and blurs so badly. I got this with every digital display in Cyberpunk 2077, too.

Warmachine posted:

I finally found my Honey Pot anomaly, and also learned that despite throwing and kicking plenty of them, I'd never actually scanned a Bolt Bunny.
They look pretty much identical to another anomaly, the Hopped-Up Hare, and I actually have no idea how you're supposed to distinguish them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Unlocking highways is super important because one garage update you get lets you skip highway junctions. So once you've got like 3 connected highways you can go straight to the deep zone without stopping on the way.
I'm not sure I'd actually advise this because you may wind up in a junction with a greater leave cost than it has available cores and you'd be stuck. But you can definitely skip quite a few on the way!

I actually completely misunderstood how that works then. I put off that upgrade indefinitely because I thought it would just let you skip the "straight line" junctions in the middle of the highway, which seemed like mostly a downside considering how much really easy loot they had

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Finally got to the point where I feel chill enough in the earlier zones along a route to listen to podcasts while looting, and it definitely helps make those early zones feel a bit less like a chore and more like a chance to chill if I don't want to go straight to the intense stuff. Though at the same time, with the amount of basic resources I have the only thing these zones really are giving me at this point is the klim energy from grabbing the anchors.

I also am p sure I will never want to take off my "eject whatever is grabbing you" bumper, it's just so nice to have, but it is also getting more and more fragile relative to the rest of my increasingly upgraded car.

Eminent DNS posted:

I think parking outside wherever the yellow circle around the anchor is will keep your car outside of the immediate apocalypse centered around the anchor when you pull it out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Another reason I wish the game was paced slower. I'm trying to explore the entire map but there's really no need to except for its own sake, I'm swimming in every material but Olympium and Red Balloons, and the latter is used for like, two upgrades and then never again, it seems.

i think this would be a great springboard into a larger sequel but also i think there are two kinds of people who this game appeals to:

- fraidy cat nerds like me who spook easily and will jump back to the garage the second the car starts. im barely scrounging enough mats for more than a couple upgrades at a time. i am still in the outer zone

- cool power gamers like you who clear out zones ez pz and hit all the upgrades and get into the middle of the zone no problem.

i think for the second group, there should be a hard mode that either makes everything more expensive or makes resources more precious

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I actually completely misunderstood how that works then. I put off that upgrade indefinitely because I thought it would just let you skip the "straight line" junctions in the middle of the highway, which seemed like mostly a downside considering how much really easy loot they had
I've only used it twice but it seems to be the opposite! You still get those linear highway zones with tons of easy box truck loot, and then you skip the actual junction itself and move straight to the next highway zone if one's lined up.

Al! posted:

i think this would be a great springboard into a larger sequel but also i think there are two kinds of people who this game appeals to:

- fraidy cat nerds like me who spook easily and will jump back to the garage the second the car starts. im barely scrounging enough mats for more than a couple upgrades at a time. i am still in the outer zone

- cool power gamers like you who clear out zones ez pz and hit all the upgrades and get into the middle of the zone no problem.

i think for the second group, there should be a hard mode that either makes everything more expensive or makes resources more precious
Yeah, my point was mostly that there's many options for lower difficulty, I'd love some for higher.
Funny enough I really don't think I'm powergaming, I'm just an obsessive loot goblin who can't stop rifling through every single box and picking up every single item. Why is the loot there unless they want me to take it?? Not sure what I'm going to do with 900 glass shards but hey, I'm sure I'll need them at some point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

we all heard Oppy tell us to "loot away", i don't need any other excuse than that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

spotted a helpful tip for cheevo hunters

https://twitter.com/ClearG88_/status/1761204029517169028?t=5bCTcXYH_sAJSwERilI-5g&s=19

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My unlocks and gear progression is really lopsided. Feels like they should rework how going out for resource runs should work because half the time I just run to a given zone, loot what I can and just abandon run because you basically keep everything you loot (on default, obviously if you set it to the harder "lose everything" you don't). Most of the time I just lose some prybars.

I will say that finding the thermosap gems is really annoying and I'm kinda stuck trying to find some. I probably play way too timid. I've also not really made anything from the outfitting station, just the larger backpack. I should probably do that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I may be hallucinating (:v:) but I think you do get more materials of all types deeper in the zone - this is relevant because you need loving asstons of fabric, and I found scrounging for it in the outer areas really sloggish relative to how much I was using

Of course, going exploring normal buildings deeper in the zone is a bit hair raising so there's that

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Crain posted:

I will say that finding the thermosap gems is really annoying and I'm kinda stuck trying to find some. I probably play way too timid. I've also not really made anything from the outfitting station, just the larger backpack. I should probably do that.

I think a really underrated piece of equipment is the resource radar. It makes finding all the later zone resources a lot more consistent, you can't really rely on visuals a lot of the time considering the topography and the shitshow going on

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bhodi posted:

it's an injection without native VR so char movement is handled however it is in the game, either kb+mouse or the keys on your controllers operating like a gamepad. there's no teleport or VR-like interaction. I don't really get VR sick so I can't speak to how unsettling it is but basically GUI is a hovering overlay which you can set to be fixed to your head or where you're pointing, there's a lot of customization options. I believe the "direction" of forward movement can be bound to where you're pointing with the controller, and I think you can bind the tools to them as well if you want.

I'm honestly most comfortable with games that just let me look around and be in the world and are otherwise the same as looking at it on the monitor so I didn't dig deep into those options. IMO it's worth installing and trying it out just for fun though if you've already got a VR device.

I don't get VR sick, I assume this is UEVR and I have some questions about your setup. Moving my mouse vs my head causes drift, while I might turn my head to look at something that doesn't seem to center my mouse on that thing so I need to go wild moving the mouse/my head around for it to work. Similarly, I think there's some UI elements that might not be rendering right? Just curious of some quick setup tips you might have since other than the initial mouse/interaction stuff being broken it was awesome driving around like that.

edit: Found the profile someone made for it and yea, I keep getting some UI drift, some of the UI elements don't seem to render just right, and the real annoyance is just managing the pitch lock on the mouse vs using the rotation to select things. It's certainly neat, but man this game could use native VR support.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 29, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

does the lead door as a trunk wobble and hang slightly lower when you open it due to the weight? :haw:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I got this just using one of the boost anomaly, hitting the first one seem tailor made for getting it lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think a really underrated piece of equipment is the resource radar. It makes finding all the later zone resources a lot more consistent, you can't really rely on visuals a lot of the time considering the topography and the shitshow going on

100%

There's a reason it's on my wagon in the OP.

It also spots anomalies like the Honey Pot and marks them with the little Weird Anomaly type symbol.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

This is the most fun I've had with a game in a longass time. It tickles every part of my dadbrain.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just bought a Quest 3 for this*, now to spend hours troubleshooting only to be mildly disappointed by the final result like most VR things :v:

* and outer wilds and some other stuff

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, extremely. It's so bad I was talking to a friend about it and they said they thought it was intentional, like an artifact of old monitors that would get display burn-in. It's caused by DLSS almost entirely, TAA has no real impact there with DLSS off. It streaks and blurs so badly. I got this with every digital display in Cyberpunk 2077, too.

Alright thanks, at least it's not just me.
I did compare and TAA does have a tiny effect (if you set it to FXAA it is a perfect snap, TAA has a very slight blend) but yeah it's DLSS (High or lower) that makes it unacceptably smeared. DLSS Ultra High makes it acceptable, but it's still not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I just bought a Quest 3 for this*, now to spend hours troubleshooting only to be mildly disappointed by the final result like most VR things :v:

* and outer wilds and some other stuff

id really recommend people try the profile i linked in the OP. its not going to be everyone's jam but its the simplest way to get it running with the actual vr controllers that come with the quest/index