Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's really weird is that since earth was liquid at some point, anything heavier than silica sank. all the gold and uranium and tungsten and poo poo in the crust got dropped onto earth from space after the crust froze solid. which means there's probably just as much or more of all that poo poo on the moon and mars since they've been frozen over for longer, and they're frozen solid while the earth is still making new crust and subsuming old stuff

this also means theres probably a ton of uranium and poo poo in the core all bein toasty and helping keep the earth gooey inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i think venus is still gooey inside too but i cant remember. mars was recently enough that theres still zits and poo poo all over it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

N.ever
A
S.traight
A.nswer

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I took an astronomy class in college as a science GE cause I didn't want to have to take like bio or chem and it was like the first half of the semester was all

"Name a planet and you pass the test"

And then the second part was like

"What is the origin of the chain of high mountains that closely follows the equator of Saturn's moon, Iapetus?"

It was absolutely hosed i never had another class that had such an extreme jump on difficulty and it was a 100 level class

Anyways that's when I learned that space is gay

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hand wrote a letter to Scott Kelly ( twin brother of AZ senator Mark Kelly) thanking him for doing a presentation at my university and for writing the book Endurance. He replied back with a handwritten note and a neato patch that I’m too scared to apply to anything.

I recommend his book if you have an interest in what day to day life in the ISS is like. It covers the stuff you probably see YouTube videos of, like pooping, but there’s a wealth of other things that are really cool and actually don’t make me want to go to live there. (Apparently you have permanent sinus congestion in microgravity, and only recently did the CO2 scrubbers get improved so after several days you’d slip into this brain fog and persistent minor headache).

Space is cool. I went to also see the endeavor shuttle with another GBS goon at a local museum before they put it away for three years. I might be an idiot so I don’t understand a lot of things about space, but I do like the shiny NASA stuff and the planets and the stars

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fun fact: So called "shooting stars" are just the size of grains of sand, falling onto Earth from space. Every single day, about a ton of material from space falls to Earth. A ton, every day!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Buce posted:

SPAEC:

how tf could you miss the opportunity to make the lego apollo spell out rear end instead of usa? how???

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

any bets on the aristarchus of our time? who’s got that way out there poo poo the future folk will be all, “well duh,” about whenever our tools and the consensus catch up to their genius?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

TrashMammal posted:

any bets on the aristarchus of our time? who’s got that way out there poo poo the future folk will be all, “well duh,” about whenever our tools and the consensus catch up to their genius?

it's me, op

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lay down those proofs and theorems. let’s hear what you got

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

TrashMammal posted:

you’re already flying through space at 66,627 mph. the sun will come for whatever’s left of you in -7.5 billions years. no need to fomo your corpse into a rocket

That's so heliocentric of you.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

helioanarchism is our only hope against the depredations of geoliberalism. if you ain’t with it, well, the sun doesn’t really care i guess

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I love it when the sun is on fire. If you like that too I recommend watching nasas thermonuclear art. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmbeLTHC_0

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
There could be an infinite number of Big Birds in space/the universe/universes. We will never know!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fusion is so cool. Little spheres of magic contained within giant orbs of gas.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think life exists or has existed at some point in the universe because no way are we the only dumb ape to ever be around

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think life exists or has existed at some point in the universe because no way are we the only dumb ape to ever be around

It seems inevitable.

Single cell life on Earth began very close to the beginning of the planet. And this is after a major collision that turned the Earth into magma. Give the endless amount of exoplanets and all the same conditions and materials, how could life NOT exist elsewhere. Everywhere.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Do many people who know about the sheer size of the known universe think there isn't any kind of life about somewhere? Sure it may not be particular common but when your working with the numbers of planets in the known universe it would have to be utterly unbelievably uncommon for earth to be a fluke.

But yeah, with the crazy size of the universe obviously it may not even be physically possible even with crazy future technology to ever find any signs of other life alas.

Still holding out hope some distant future journey to Europa finds some micro organism there or something! Or you know lovecraftian space sea beast who enslave/eat us all! Well not us we'll likely all be long dead then, so all good either way!

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 4, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

other life seems likely—but, with neither evidence nor any developed mechanism by which to acquire it, insisting that there must be life out there is on shakier ground than insisting you’re a temporarily embarrassed millionaire because you could win the lottery any day now. at least that dude has evidence that people do in fact win the lottery

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think we'll find other life right here in our solar system, in the various ice moons. Saturn's moon Enceladus would be the best bet due to relative ease of sampling the water. Europa, another candidate, will be much more difficult.

That's one of the greatest discoveries of the last 30 years by the way, and it sorta goes under the radar: There's water everywhere. Earth is dry in comparison to some of the ocean moons out there.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wet rear end planets

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

other life seems likely—but, with neither evidence nor any developed mechanism by which to acquire it, insisting that there must be life out there is on shakier ground than insisting you’re a temporarily embarrassed millionaire because you could win the lottery any day now. at least that dude has evidence that people do in fact win the lottery

We already won the lottery so it's more like the lottery winner insisting there must be at least one more lottery winner in history or maybe even now.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Khanstant posted:

We already won the lottery so it's more like the lottery winner insisting there must be at least one more lottery winner in history or maybe even now.

appeal to probability is literally the first fallacy on the list of fallacies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We'll never know until we have a second detection of life, and that detection will have to be very "clean" and methodical, as the possibility of contamination from the probe is real and has to be addressed in a variety of ways.

BUT, given that single cell life on Earth started up pretty much as soon as the planet was not a fiery ball of magma, it seems highly plausible to me that life will also start up elsewhere given the right conditions. Like a chemical reaction.

Now whether that life evolves into anything complex is a whole other matter, and that complex life being "smart" an entirely different matter still.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love space and space related stuff, so excuse my enthusiasm. I'd like to share this cool mental image with you:

The Oort Cloud
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

This is essentially the outer boundary of the Sun's gravitational influence. And it's a giant sphere of ice. An ice cloud.

And every other similar star likely has a similar ice cloud. Maybe all stars.

So, you probably have a mental image of the solar system (and thus, every solar system) as flat plane of planets in orbit around the central star, and that's accurate. But now imagine that orbital plane enclosed within a sphere of ice particles, ranging in size from super tiny to Manhattan sized, maybe bigger. And now imagine every star out there a brilliant point of light encased in a sphere of ice particles. Little glowing snowballs in the vast darkness.

naem
May 29, 2011

what if we should starting firing goop at other planets to seed life there

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

I think we'll find other life right here in our solar system, in the various ice moons. Saturn's moon Enceladus would be the best bet due to relative ease of sampling the water. Europa, another candidate, will be much more difficult.

That's one of the greatest discoveries of the last 30 years by the way, and it sorta goes under the radar: There's water everywhere. Earth is dry in comparison to some of the ocean moons out there.

I bet Venus' gross rear end ocean of acid is host to life

naem
May 29, 2011

like, algae or worms or, bugs, poop etc

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

microbes that live in acid and eat and breathe acid

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I bet Venus' gross rear end ocean of acid is host to life

I'd bet against life on Venus. And if it exists it's super rare and in isolated craters or caves.

Conditions on Venus are harsh. Hottest place in the solar system outside the surface of the sun. It's literal Hell.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

I'd bet against life on Venus. And if it exists it's super rare and in isolated craters or caves.

Conditions on Venus are harsh. Hottest place in the solar system outside the surface of the sun. It's literal Hell.

yeah and snails live on ocean vents making metal shells, the atmosphere of a runaway greenhouse planet is the best possible place to look and something is fixing gases there

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

most likely forms of extraterrestrial life: microbes, hardcore acid critters, crabs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

yeah and snails live on ocean vents making metal shells, the atmosphere of a runaway greenhouse planet is the best possible place to look and something is fixing gases there

Just getting to the surface of Venus would be a challenge. Let alone discovering life.

I am very interested in the phosphine in the atmosphere debate that's going on. It's going back and forth currently.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

We took Scam Likely Jr to the planetarium and wouldn't you know it, we bumped into Matt O'dowd (who hosts PBS Spacetime on YT)

This clearly means that Scam Likely Jr is destined to grow up to be an astrophysicist. Just as soon as they learn to crawl, then we can work on solving the mysteries of dark matter and string theory.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Just getting to the surface of Venus would be a challenge.

Venera did it plenty, it wasn't worth poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

naem posted:

what if we should starting firing goop at other planets to seed life there

I've been working on my kegels but I just dont have the escape velocity

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Venera did it plenty, it wasn't worth poo poo.

Venera lasted like 8 minutes or something before it melted. Still, a real accomplishment for the Soviet space program.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Venera lasted like 8 minutes or something before it melted. Still, a real accomplishment for the Soviet space program.

first entrance of another planet's atmospere, first soft landing on another planet, first pictures from the surface of another planet,

quote:

The Venera 9 lander operated for at least 53 minutes and took pictures with one of two cameras; the other lens cap did not release.

The Venera 10 lander operated for at least 65 minutes and took pictures with one of two cameras; the other lens cap did not release.

The Venera 11 lander operated for at least 95 minutes but neither cameras' lens caps released.

The Venera 12 lander operated for at least 110 minutes but neither cameras' lens caps released.

can't make it work when everything is total loving poo poo, though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the Big loving Rocket just did a wet dress rehearsal and got these sick af photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

you're supposed to roll it down all the way to the base