Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Space, what is it? No one really knows for sure but people have been trying to figure it out for awhile now. Originally discovered thousands of years ago by some dude who had the genius idea of looking up, space has inspired and confounded humanity for just about as long as we’ve existed.

Holes in the roof? Home of the gods? It’s only recently that we’ve had the slightest clue as to what’s going on up there. Turns out it’s less of a divine clockwork doling out providence and perdition; more of a vast uncaring void full of indifferent wonders that happen on a scale we can barely comprehend.

Space is neat. Our understanding of space has been a fascinating journey. This is a thread for chatting about both of those things. Got a question about space? Post it! Space news? Post it! Wanna chat about historical discoveries or bleeding edge theories? Go for it! Feel like getting into the nitty gritty of what the ancient babylonians thought about space? :jpmf:

Space is big. Space is weird. People’s perceptions and ideas about it are fascinating. Post your favorite nebula or whatever. It’s all good, just post about space. Don’t post about techbros, politics, video games, or movies. That’s Earth stuff.

Whatcha got, GBS? Let’s get spacey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't give a gently caress about space

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

space freaking rules

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

like my dad is super big into astronomy and astrophysics and I'm just like "why?"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im gonna buy a solar filter for my scope and look directly at the eclipse and its gonna be epic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

like my dad is super big into astronomy and astrophysics and I'm just like "why?"

shut the gently caress up bitch

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im gonna buy a solar filter for my scope and look directly at the eclipse and its gonna be epic

the eclipse in October was awesome, I was glad I was in the exact perfect vantage for that one. Shadows going all SpOoKy and crescent shaped never stops being cool.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

the solar eclipse is passing directly over my house and I just got eclipse glasses to watch it with

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I hear that inky black above us is just another earth, but it's always space and everyone's evil. Not sure we should be perving on all these evil earth night people with gaint telescopes, and were certainly shouldn't be sending people up there to perv on them in person.

We don't want to be as bad as they are. :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
space is pretty cool, I like it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

space is pretty cool, I like it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

shut the gently caress up bitch

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Kinda sucks how far away everything is, I wanna go visit all that pretty stuff

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
albert einstein discovered gravitational lensing when he watched ur mom walk past his house one day

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm driving to Missouri to look at the eclipse next month

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
From the weird headlines thread:

Platystemon posted:

'I don't believe in space:' Texas Tech DB Tyler Owens makes bold statement at NFL combine

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/02/29/texas-tech-tyler-owens-doesnt-believe-in-space/72792066007/

So I dunno, with space not existing do we just like close this thread and up date all the text books and what not?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't give a gently caress about space

live picture from this idiots back yard

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I should watch the OG Carl Sagan Cosmos again. It’s radical as gently caress.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

bradzilla posted:

I'm driving to Missouri to look at the eclipse next month

i'm staying away from missouri for my mental health

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:smuggo:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hell yeah! See you in the Mojave

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dee eight posted:

i'm staying away from missouri for my mental health

Don't you live in Montana

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

no one lives in Montana

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no one lives in Montana

a million people live in Montana

the Albuquerque, NM metro area (including Belen, Los Lunas and Rio Rancho) is almost the population of Wyoming, however

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

a million people live in Montana

the Albuquerque, NM metro area (including Belen, Los Lunas and Rio Rancho) is almost the population of Wyoming, however

prove it

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

bradzilla posted:

yeah, but i still don't want to go to missouri

texas, florida, alabama, and mississippi are on that list too

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Space has a smell. It's been compared to hot metal, burnt meat, burnt cakes, spent gunpowder, and welding metal

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The eclipse is showing us the places you should not be for any reason.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

A bunch of rocks... smashing into other rocks... the final frontier
These are the voyages of GBS
Its continuing mission:
To explore strange new posts...
To seek out new content; new threads...
To boldly post bullshit no one has posted before!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

you should put that Tim Curry video in the op, op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

covidstomper58 posted:

The eclipse is showing us the places you should not be for any reason.

hey! few years from no you guys in Montana might see a Solar Eclipse

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i saw the one in '79 it was pretty groovy

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

gently caress the worm logo
only used during NASA's era of not doing anything at all. they dropped it once ISS construction began

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Poser poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prettz posted:

gently caress the worm logo
only used during NASA's era of not doing anything at all. they dropped it once ISS construction began

The King has spoken!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The King has spoken!
seriously though, it reminds me of the 90s, when no one gave a poo poo about NASA. any time I see it I'm like, why do you want to relive those times? nothing happened.

edit: just ignore my drunken rant

Prettz fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2024

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this mission patch owns so hard

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this mission patch owns so hard

all my dad's mission patches from Barking Sands and Kodiak launches are pretty cool, I'll have to take some pics next time I'm over there

that one really clearly states the intent of the mission though, lol, so awesome

edit: he also worked on a STS launch prior to Jan '86 while he was getting his masters, some neat pictures from that

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 2, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prettz posted:

seriously though, it reminds me of the 90s, when no one gave a poo poo about NASA. any time I see it I'm like, why do you want to relive those times? nothing happened.

edit: just ignore my drunken rant

I always gave a poo poo, and the next time will be on March 20, time, tba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

James Webb is really neat