Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

joke_explainer posted:

feel like bbq? been to mighty quinn's?

i'd prefer something more refined

i know what to expect from even the best bbq

it leaves me unfulfilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Bo-Pepper posted:

it leaves me unfulfilled

drat yankees

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
dirty commie traitor - bbq doesn't fulfill my soul

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Pomp posted:

drat yankees

i lived in north carolina for two years picked my fair share of pigs thank you very much

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

it leaves me unfulfilled

sorry, I was thinking like, you know... family out of town, go get a rack of ribs sort of thing... let us know what you pick though!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

joke_explainer posted:

did you have a dutch oven??? drat, I totally missed your bread suggestions request ... god dammit...

by the way i do have a dutch oven and will be making loaves for when everyone comes home so feel free to infodump i'm still in motion

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Bo-Pepper posted:

Dear Diary

Tonight I finally accepted the mediocrity of my life by having a special meal all by myself of 20 chicken mcnuggets and a large fries. As I grew less hungry while shoveling the meat and starch into my mouth I thought to myself, "I deserve this. This is all I am." The extra barbecue sauce I ordered was helpful.

yis! :)

Bo-Pepper posted:

click the images for full size i have no idea why imgur won't take anything from me

wanna eat that with butter

Senior Management

can we all stop by for some loaves?

:jerry:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
please mr. Pepper feed us your bread and wine

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
maybe some fishes

Senior Management

Party at Bo-Pepper's free bread house

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I will bring butter for the bread and weed

Senior Management

Bo-Pepper furiously bakes away in a corner. His skin completely hidden by decades of flour. He hears the forums posters laughing at anime in the other room. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Vynar posted:

Bo-Pepper furiously bakes away in a corner. His skin completely hidden by decades of flour. He hears the forums posters laughing at anime in the other room. A single tear rolls down his cheek.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Bo-Pepper posted:

click the images for full size i have no idea why imgur won't take anything from me

U worked the dough 2 much!! Knead a lot less... And your crust... well... it's a Piece of poo poo. Way better than my first loaf though

Bwee
dinosaur barbecue is good

tao of lmao

Bo-Pepper posted:

it leaves me unfulfilled

you're dead to me...

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

MinorLeagueAllstar posted:

you're dead to me...

oh what is happening to the the meat is it falling off the bone? my word!!

the sauce? is it tangy? gasp!!

that pork. is it sufficiently pulled??????

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

U worked the dough 2 much!! Knead a lot less... And your crust... well... it's a Piece of poo poo. Way better than my first loaf though

tell me about crust make me a better crust maker the crust is the key to all things

dogdisaster

by Lowtax
wanna eat that bread

----------------

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Bo-Pepper posted:

Dear Diary

Tonight I finally accepted the mediocrity of my life by having a special meal all by myself of 20 chicken mcnuggets and a large fries. As I grew less hungry while shoveling the meat and starch into my mouth I thought to myself, "I deserve this. This is all I am." The extra barbecue sauce I ordered was helpful.

i don't believe this. it can't be true

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
mags

you didn't bopep you would never

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

please please please say it ain't so

paul_soccer12 posted:

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

CAT BRUSH posted:

please please please say it ain't so

look at that bread. the bopepper you knew is gone.

----------------

mags

:rip:

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i held that inadequate loaf close as i choked down the 19th nugget knowing my inability to complete this value meal would lead to one last question in time:

how does this make you feel

FreshCutFries

Bo-Pepper, while baking his bread:

yeah, you know when i bake alone, i prefer to be by myseeeeeeeeeelf

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

so the dense interior is generally because of inadequate fermentation in the dough. did you use any kind of pre-ferment? if you did, or had a sufficient bulk fermentation time, i would guess the yeast was either too cold or not fully activated.

i think my go-to recipe for a dutch oven boule is like this roughly (and I use saf instant yeast: http://www.amazon.com/Saf-Instant-Yeast-Pound-Pouch/dp/B0001CXUHW dunno if that will make a difference though it should all be pretty much the same). this is the 'white bread with 80% biga' recipe from ken forkish's book, it's the only recipe out of it that i've made like 10 times.

800 grams of flour in a 6 quart tub

544 grams of water, 80 fahrenheit in a seperate container with a scant 3/16 teaspoon (about 0.64 grams, if your scale is like drug-dealer quality) of yeast, stir it up a bit after it rests in the water a minute or two, then pour the yeast/water mix into the tub with the flour.

mix it up by hand, using a pincer-like motion to squeeze the ingredients together, like bunching it up in a log-shape and pinching that into like 5 sections, then folding it over itself, just until it's fully incorporated

now cover and let it sit overnight 12-to 14 hours in 65 F to 70 F temperatures (it will mature faster if warmer)

its amazing hours later, you have an intense and heady alcohol aroma from the biga and it should be slightly domed and pockmarked with bubbles, tripled in volume. this is the pre-ferment and it makes your bread amazing.

the actual dough can then be mixed, 200 grams of flour into a 12 quart tub or equivalent, 22 grams of salt and 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of yeast, mixing those powders by hand roughly, then 206 grams of 105 degree water and mix by hand until just incorporated.

Then you dump the entire pre-ferment into the dough tub, fill one of the smaller tubs with a small bit of warm water, wet your hand with warm water and mix the pre-ferment and the dough, pincering it and folding it until it's fully incorporated with the flour, water and dough.

once it's all incorporated you're almost done. 3.5 hours of bulk fermentation in the dough, if the temperature of the dough is around 74 F. If it's closer to 80, probably just 2.5 to 3 hours.

apply folds to the dough to encourage complexity and structure inside the dough. There's no real kneading, but the folds should be applied, about 3 of them, early on in the bulk fermentation. To fold you just wet your hand, then grab the dough, turn the container, and fold it over itself, careful to not rip the dough as much as you can avoid, and then fold it again so you're folding over the previous fold from a slightly different position. work those folds into the dough until they roughly 'stick' together when you stop working it, it's never more than 4-5 around the sides of the dough and it's definitely not kneading, just folding. this is the least scientific part of the whole process, and it really does seem to have an effect on the final product but it's something you just need to tweak with. write down when you do your folds for comparison later. so do the folding process 2-3 times in the first hour to an hour and a half after mixing, giving the dough at least 20 minutes between folds to relax.

okay! now you divide and proof. 3 hours or so later, when the dough is about triple in size (feel free to mark the container if that helps), it's ready.

flour your hands and gently ease the dough onto a flour-dusted work surface, then ease it into a roughly even shape best you can fit it on the floured work surface.

use a dough knife to cut two equal pieces. fold these up into a medium tight ball, so the 'seam' with all the folds are all on one side.

put them in 2 proofing baskets seam side down... ideally a banneton basket (they look like this: ), if you don't have a proofing basket, a wooden bowl would work great? or any bowl, just dust it with flour. wood is nice for this as it holds onto flour a bit. proofing is the final step before baking, it just settles the final structure for the oven. it only takes about an hour of proofing, so start the oven heating. cover the proofing loaves with a plastic bag, the kind for produce from whole foods are perfect for this (and for storing the bread eventually... they are actually recommended in the book. i grab like 10 of them every time I go to whole foods and buy anything they're great bags)

oven to 475. if you have an oven thermometer, check the temp and make sure it matches. Put the dutch oven in there while it pre-heats, you want the dutch oven blazing hot.

if you only have 1 dutch oven, put the second loaf in the fridge about 20 minutes before baking the first loaf and bake the loaves sequentially, re-heating for 5 minutes after the first loaf

:siren::siren::siren:PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT LET YOUR ARMS, FINGERS, HANDS OR SIDES OR ANYTHING OR ANYONE TOUCH THE EXTREMELY HOT DUTCH OVEN WITHOUT PROTECTION YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL PROBABLY:siren::siren::siren:

I recommend those long silicone mittens. Even then, work quick. You don't want to lose that precious heat.

gently invert your proofed loaf back onto your lightly floured surface and then remove the 45-minutes pre-heated dutch oven from the oven. place it into the oven so the 'seam side' (the side with the spiral flour on it if you're using a banneton') is facing up. this will give you the best final appearance. immediately put the lid back on and put it back in the oven. baking with the dutch oven lid on for 30 minutes; uncover and bake for another 20-30, waiting for a dark brown color all around the loaf. the deeper the better really. it really enhances the flavor.

once it's done, remove the dutch oven and invert it. the loaf will pop right out. set it on a rack or on its side so cool air can circulate and listen to the gentle crackling of freshly baked bread. after 20 minutes, cut into it. it's so buttery and delicious it's amazing that it's just flour, water, yeast and salt.

it sounds like a whole lot of work but its really not once you get use to it, you can slap together bread very quickly. most of the time is just waiting. especially with the pre-ferment setup, that just takes moments. if you really enjoy it, you can eventually establish your own levain culture and not require any additional store-provided yeast. I really hope you give it a shot. I've gotten some fantastic results better than anything I can buy at the grocery store:

I wish I had cut this open for a picture, but yeah, it was filled with complex structure, each piece had long strands of gluten, it was great.

feel free to take anything you would like to try out of this and do it independently. the two more important things are

1) proper fermentation over a long period

2) the dough spring in a very very hot oven. commercial bakers use steam (some ovens can just inject steam with the pull of a handle) to build a heavy crust, but home bakers don't really have that. the dutch oven is a small confined and very hot space; the high hydration dough lets that superheated steam (steam can be a lot hotter than boiling water and still have a very high heat index) form a thick crispy crust and the rest of the loaf falls in line from that.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 11, 2015

joke_explainer

this is a perfect, cheap dutch oven for this sort of bread making (this recipe assumes 4 quart dutch oven):

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P10D3-Dutch-4-Quart/dp/B0001DJVGK

and a couple of these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastrad-Silicone-Oven-17-Inch-Black/dp/B000RYSQB4/

will do you well for protection. Though if you just have a pair of welding gloves or other reliable fully-covering pot holders of some sort they're fine too. don't be scary of the dutch oven, just be wary! it will burn the ever living gently caress out of you if you aren't careful!

bacalou

that crumb is westboro baptist levels of dense

crumb so dense a diamond covets

bill o'reilly looks at bo-peppers crumb and is all like 'damb'

bacalou

this one in particular is so sad i almost cried a little hold on

cried 4 tha crumb

bacalou

gordon ramsay tastes bo-pep's bread and his mouth becomes a black hole, sucking all that we have ever known into the dense crumb void

bacalou

i love you bo-pepper make more bread

bacalou

"crusty baguettes are as close to heaven as we are going to get" - bo-pep to a world-class baker as the baker is trying bo-pepper's bread

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

joke_explainer posted:

so the dense interior is generally because of inadequate fermentation in the dough. did you use any kind of pre-ferment? if you did, or had a sufficient bulk fermentation time, i would guess the yeast was either too cold or not fully activated.

i think my go-to recipe for a dutch oven boule is like this roughly (and I use saf instant yeast: http://www.amazon.com/Saf-Instant-Yeast-Pound-Pouch/dp/B0001CXUHW dunno if that will make a difference though it should all be pretty much the same). this is the 'white bread with 80% biga' recipe from ken forkish's book, it's the only recipe out of it that i've made like 10 times.

800 grams of flour in a 6 quart tub

544 grams of water, 80 fahrenheit in a seperate container with a scant 3/16 teaspoon (about 0.64 grams, if your scale is like drug-dealer quality) of yeast, stir it up a bit after it rests in the water a minute or two, then pour the yeast/water mix into the tub with the flour.

mix it up by hand, using a pincer-like motion to squeeze the ingredients together, like bunching it up in a log-shape and pinching that into like 5 sections, then folding it over itself, just until it's fully incorporated

now cover and let it sit overnight 12-to 14 hours in 65 F to 70 F temperatures (it will mature faster if warmer)

its amazing hours later, you have an intense and heady alcohol aroma from the biga and it should be slightly domed and pockmarked with bubbles, tripled in volume. this is the pre-ferment and it makes your bread amazing.

the actual dough can then be mixed, 200 grams of flour into a 12 quart tub or equivalent, 22 grams of salt and 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of yeast, mixing those powders by hand roughly, then 206 grams of 105 degree water and mix by hand until just incorporated.

Then you dump the entire pre-ferment into the dough tub, fill one of the smaller tubs with a small bit of warm water, wet your hand with warm water and mix the pre-ferment and the dough, pincering it and folding it until it's fully incorporated with the flour, water and dough.

once it's all incorporated you're almost done. 3.5 hours of bulk fermentation in the dough, if the temperature of the dough is around 74 F. If it's closer to 80, probably just 2.5 to 3 hours.

apply folds to the dough to encourage complexity and structure inside the dough. There's no real kneading, but the folds should be applied, about 3 of them, early on in the bulk fermentation. To fold you just wet your hand, then grab the dough, turn the container, and fold it over itself, careful to not rip the dough as much as you can avoid, and then fold it again so you're folding over the previous fold from a slightly different position. work those folds into the dough until they roughly 'stick' together when you stop working it, it's never more than 4-5 around the sides of the dough and it's definitely not kneading, just folding. this is the least scientific part of the whole process, and it really does seem to have an effect on the final product but it's something you just need to tweak with. write down when you do your folds for comparison later. so do the folding process 2-3 times in the first hour to an hour and a half after mixing, giving the dough at least 20 minutes between folds to relax.

okay! now you divide and proof. 3 hours or so later, when the dough is about triple in size (feel free to mark the container if that helps), it's ready.

flour your hands and gently ease the dough onto a flour-dusted work surface, then ease it into a roughly even shape best you can fit it on the floured work surface.

use a dough knife to cut two equal pieces. fold these up into a medium tight ball, so the 'seam' with all the folds are all on one side.

put them in 2 proofing baskets seam side down... ideally a banneton basket (they look like this: ), if you don't have a proofing basket, a wooden bowl would work great? or any bowl, just dust it with flour. wood is nice for this as it holds onto flour a bit. proofing is the final step before baking, it just settles the final structure for the oven. it only takes about an hour of proofing, so start the oven heating. cover the proofing loaves with a plastic bag, the kind for produce from whole foods are perfect for this (and for storing the bread eventually... they are actually recommended in the book. i grab like 10 of them every time I go to whole foods and buy anything they're great bags)

oven to 475. if you have an oven thermometer, check the temp and make sure it matches. Put the dutch oven in there while it pre-heats, you want the dutch oven blazing hot.

if you only have 1 dutch oven, put the second loaf in the fridge about 20 minutes before baking the first loaf and bake the loaves sequentially, re-heating for 5 minutes after the first loaf

:siren::siren::siren:PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT LET YOUR ARMS, FINGERS, HANDS OR SIDES OR ANYTHING OR ANYONE TOUCH THE EXTREMELY HOT DUTCH OVEN WITHOUT PROTECTION YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL PROBABLY:siren::siren::siren:

I recommend those long silicone mittens. Even then, work quick. You don't want to lose that precious heat.

gently invert your proofed loaf back onto your lightly floured surface and then remove the 45-minutes pre-heated dutch oven from the oven. place it into the oven so the 'seam side' (the side with the spiral flour on it if you're using a banneton') is facing up. this will give you the best final appearance. immediately put the lid back on and put it back in the oven. baking with the dutch oven lid on for 30 minutes; uncover and bake for another 20-30, waiting for a dark brown color all around the loaf. the deeper the better really. it really enhances the flavor.

once it's done, remove the dutch oven and invert it. the loaf will pop right out. set it on a rack or on its side so cool air can circulate and listen to the gentle crackling of freshly baked bread. after 20 minutes, cut into it. it's so buttery and delicious it's amazing that it's just flour, water, yeast and salt.

it sounds like a whole lot of work but its really not once you get use to it, you can slap together bread very quickly. most of the time is just waiting. especially with the pre-ferment setup, that just takes moments. if you really enjoy it, you can eventually establish your own levain culture and not require any additional store-provided yeast. I really hope you give it a shot. I've gotten some fantastic results better than anything I can buy at the grocery store:

I wish I had cut this open for a picture, but yeah, it was filled with complex structure, each piece had long strands of gluten, it was great.

feel free to take anything you would like to try out of this and do it independently. the two more important things are

1) proper fermentation over a long period

2) the dough spring in a very very hot oven. commercial bakers use steam (some ovens can just inject steam with the pull of a handle) to build a heavy crust, but home bakers don't really have that. the dutch oven is a small confined and very hot space; the high hydration dough lets that superheated steam (steam can be a lot hotter than boiling water and still have a very high heat index) form a thick crispy crust and the rest of the loaf falls in line from that.

Do you actually type these things or are you copy and pasting?

----------------

bacalou

the world class baker is me, but he doesn't know that because he doesn't know what i look like

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

Do you actually type these things or are you copy and pasting?

i typed it all out trying to remember any special details from my bread-baking experience... its fun, you should try it drilldo you'd like it.

i think it's the 2nd time I've detailed my bread making process on byob and i think it was the same recipe last time too, but i don't remember the thread

drilldo squirt

The bread or typing?

----------------

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

The bread or typing?

the bread, you silly goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

Good, because you really need to cut down on your post's size.

----------------

• Locked thread