Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cathode Raymond posted:

Nobody rode an airship to the train robbery?

Seems like a missed opportunity.

Anyway, I'm sure our interactions with the monks at Palyu will be peaceful and informative!

Oh, don't you worry, what the train robbery lacks in airships, it will more than make up for in hilarious clusterfuck. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
"As if we, the descendents of these lands both spiritually and physically, would ever need to use the foreign belching monsters, when we can sail and hike through the most holy of rivers and mountain trails with buddha's protection." (i'm getting there by foot, not train)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
drat, if I had an airship, it would be like that episode of Firefly. That settles it, my next mission is to acquire an airship. Even with the mishap table.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
"Acquire an airship"? No no no, I think you mean "acquire the flying chancellor expansion set. Get an airship sized balloon attached to the chancellor, add some extra platforms, handholds and strap the rest of the team to him, and blast away from the skies!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Saurus posted:

"Acquire an airship"? No no no, I think you mean "acquire the flying chancellor expansion set. Get an airship sized balloon attached to the chancellor, add some extra platforms, handholds and strap the rest of the team to him, and blast away from the skies!

The advantage of an airship is that I can do that -and- it has a full bar and four-star restaurant onboard. We're trying to bring civilization to these lands, after all.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Welp, the LP curse has struck. My laptop crapped out this morning while I was finishing up the maps and won't charge.

I may be able to surreptitiously do some maps while on my work computer, but things will be delayed. Sorry!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gee, what a trainwreck.

:razz:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Come on baby the kids are asleep and we've got an hour until the robbery it's the perfect time for -

Nyet Comrade Ulyanov! Not until we are married! And for the people's sake shut up! This is not a robbery simply a tutor and governess taking their charges on a simple mountain excursion!

But the dialectic demands it - I, the thesis, you the antithesis, us together the synthesis!

Yob Tvoyu mat gospodin! You act like a bourgeois pig, grasping at what you feel you can get!

But come onnnnnnnnn it's stressful here and all my friends have done it......

you see a ring on this finger Vladimir? Oh.... Ok then but above the waist only. And before Stalin wakes up, those eyes give me the creeps

edit: Pogs! I forgot!

----

Oh my little matryoshka! The children have awoken!

You stupid fat idiot, the revolution can only be permanent and worldwide!
Look who's calling who an idiot, the revolution can only be in one country!
Your mother's so fat she needs a revolution of her own!
What did you say about my mother!!!!!!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
The Royal Society now has an emblem:

So look for this mark for quality Science at low, low prices!

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 5, 2016

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Alright, time for this fight to start!

The Great Russian Train Robbery

You feel the train shudder to a halt as the train's brakes screech. Looking out the window, you see that an avalanche has blocked the train tracks. Is it an accident or something more sinister?

Here's the layout of the train. There are four passenger cars you can ride in, although their thin wooden walls won't protect you from rifle or machine gun bullets. The locomotive is armored and the front and rear of the train are guarded by machine gun turrets.

At the front and rear of the train, there are four armored boxcars. Rumors abound about what's in these cars. You've heard talk about poison gas, giant spider walkers, and even the pay chest of the Fort Mishkin garrison. Unfortunately for the more light-fingered passengers, these boxcars are locked. However, you think the engineer or the conductor might have a key on them. However, if you prefer a more blunt approach, there are two armored wagons packed with dynamite in the center of the train. You could use these to blow open the locked wagons. Or you could chuck them at your rivals...

Dynamite could be used to blast away the snowfall blocking the train's route. You'll probably need five crates of dynamite (each character can carry one crate) to do this. Or, you could send a few characters to clear the debris, although how long that takes will be up how much muscle you send and a little luck.

Above the train, you see several outcroppings of snow perilously hanging over the train. They look like they could break free at any moment! You'd better hurry and get those tracks cleared! Or maybe you want the snow to fall and crush your enemies.... Maybe some dynamite or machine-gun fire will do the job?

Your deployment zones are in the blue boxes. Here is your initiative. Post your deployments in order of initiative. You have 24 hours to deploy. When you deploy, please put your character icons on the map where you want them to be deployed.

Gordon Dragis' Gang - Grandalt 12
The Iron Chancellor and the Electro-Squad - sullat 11
Lenin's Bolshie Brigade - Lenoon 10
Halcutta Brigands - Gamerofthegame 9
Professor Karpechenko's Immortals - my dad 6
The Marceau Trading Commission - Dr. Snark 5
The Seven Former Samurai - AtomikKrab 2

You may email each other your battle plans, but once the battle starts, there will be no player-to-player emails allowed.

Also, please post your first round movement orders. I would prefer you to do this in the thread, but you feel privacy is essential can also email me with the subject "[COMPANY NAME] Move Orders - Round 1"

Objectives
Side with the Russians: Defend the train from the bandits. Get your ticket refunded, plus a 50 gold dollar bonus. Each bandit you kill earns you a 10 dollar bounty, with more for bandit leaders. Be wary though, siding with the Russians could anger the Himalayan Railroad and the British Empire.

Side with the bandits: Rob the train. Take whatever you can grab from the train. If you choose, you can even steal the train. Be warned, this will make you a marked man and the Russians will come after you.

Visit the Palyu Temple

In the red-roofed temple, you see an old monk meditating. Perhaps he has some words that can help you in your quest?

Be warned though, legend says he will only speak his words once. So only the first one to get to him will hear his secrets told.

Gentleman's Club - AJ_Impy 11
British Royal Society - Cathode Raymond 10
The Exhibition of a Bright Future - Revenant Threshold 8
The Order of the Sanskrit Sutra - The Saurus 6

Deploy in the blue line at the bottom of the map.

If you have no intention of fighting each other and sharing information, please privately email me your intentions. If no battle is in the offing and you are ok with sharing the monk's words, I will just give you your rewards.

Objectives
Speak with the old monk and get a clue about Shangri-la's true location. If you are humble and pure-hearted, he may even give you one of the temple's famous medallions.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 8, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
"Hanging ice" sounds ominous :ohdear:

Not my problem though!

Bacarruda, quick question, are there any limits on how close members of different warbands can be when they deploy?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Gentleman's Club approach en masse, respectfully, just in front of the leftmost pagoda structure.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 7, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Bacarruda, what kind of terrain are the gray blocks at the SW and SE of the temple please?

Also did AJ_Impy just make his guys the right size? I thought our characters were one of the smallest blocks-sized, but that would make this a really enormous map for 4 companies.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, question. Is it only our companies on the train, or are there civilians?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

And three four more questions:

1. Where would the ice fall if it was broken?
2. Can a team hijack the gun turrets?
3. Can you mark where there are open/locked doors between cars?

Edit: Also how big is the map in comparison to individual tokens?

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 8, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The Saurus posted:

Bacarruda, what kind of terrain are the gray blocks at the SW and SE of the temple please?

Also did AJ_Impy just make his guys the right size? I thought our characters were one of the smallest blocks-sized, but that would make this a really enormous map for 4 companies.

Yeah, I resized my icons down to fit on the blue strip, 50 by 50 pixels. If this is incorrect I will happily redo but in much the same position and formation.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Those are stairs. They are more there for cosmetic purposes than anything else. Although it does indicate that the center of the Temple is "high ground."

The darker terrain in the NW and NE is Type 3 difficult terrain, the greener terrain on the rest of the map is Type 2 difficult terrain.

Dr. Snark posted:

And three four more questions:

1. Where would the ice fall if it was broken?
2. Can a team hijack the gun turrets?
3. Can you mark where there are open/locked doors between cars?

Edit: Also how big is the map in comparison to individual tokens?

The ice is very precarious. I'd expect it to fall in a straight line towards the train.

You could hijack the turrets, although you'd have to "persuade," or persuade the soldiers manning them to let you use them.

The only locked doors are the ones on the armoured cargo boxcars. Everything else can be opened easily. When I upload the map to roll 20, I'll make that note.

The blue squares on the train map will each fit a 50x50 box. Due to limitations with imgur and the mapmaking software I'm using, I couldn't make them bigger. Sorry. Just resize your tokens down by 50% and they'll work fine.

The deployment zone in the temple map will also fit 50x50 tokens for similar reasons.

grandalt posted:

Hmm, question. Is it only our companies on the train, or are there civilians?

There are NPCs on the train. As mentioned, there is the crew in the armoured locomotive, the conductor (and perhaps a few guards) in the brakemna's car at the rear of the train, and you remember seeing several uniformed men manning the armoured turrets at the front and rear of the train.

As for fellow passengers. There are a few. I will add them to the map once all the PCs are deployed.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Bacarruda, quick question, are there any limits on how close members of different warbands can be when they deploy?

Nope. You can deploy right next to each other, for all I care.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
The British Royal Society arrives slightly after the Gentleman's Club, making a half-hearted attempt to keep their tentacled abomination out of sight of the Palyu monks.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

The gang sat in the back of Car B. Sorry, I don't know how to make the image bigger.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

:allears:

So glad there's another of this after Grey's one was quietly let go. I really wish there could have been a way to continue playing the Lepidoptery Club, but not having Immortal made that a bit difficult.

Good luck, lads! Bring us back a toucam!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Just put me south of the stairs on the right in a big line please bacarruda

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Says my initiative is 11, but I am listed after Lenoon? I'm going to sleep, so I'll just post this so we can get this trainwreck moving, if Lenoon objects I can switch it up in the morning.

We are in Car B. The Iron Chancellor is taking up a whole row by himself and putting his feet up on the chair in front of him, because that's how he rolls.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2016

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Coward posted:

:allears:

So glad there's another of this after Grey's one was quietly let go. I really wish there could have been a way to continue playing the Lepidoptery Club, but not having Immortal made that a bit difficult.

Good luck, lads! Bring us back a toucam!

Stick around! There's going to be some NPCs appearing in game very shortly.

You are welcome to take charge of them for a battle or two.

sullat posted:

Says my initiative is 11, but I am listed after Lenoon? I'm going to sleep, so I'll just post this so we can get this trainwreck moving, if Lenoon objects I can switch it up in the morning.

We are in Car B. The Iron Chancellor is taking up a whole row by himself and putting his feet up on the chair in front of him, because that's how he rolls.

My mistake. You are before lenoon. Deployment looks good.

e: everyone remember to size your icons down to 50x50 so they are proportional to the map. One icon should fit inside one of the small blue boxes.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 8, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lenin's Bolshie Brigade Babysitter's Brotherhood (and Sisterhood)

We will deploy for the people at the rear of Carriage C.

Dobroe utro moyi angelochki!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Bacarruda posted:

e: everyone remember to size your icons down to 50x50 so they are proportional to the map. One icon should fit inside one of the small blue boxes.

i'm just gonna wait for you to do that for me as I'm an incompetent :thumbsup:

Or feel free to link me to the roll20 page where I can actually move my guys around and take screenshots there. Hell, maybe we can all do that and get battles done way way faster so long as screenshots asre getting taken.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The Halcutta Brigands will hang out in the top half of car D. Their arrangement doesn't really matter so I DON'T GIVE A gently caress :cool:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just for reference, 1 of those squares is 1 inch, right?

Professor Karpechenko's Immortals will deploy in car A, like this:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's now my headcannon that Miss Krupskaya is twice as big as Vladimir.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The Saurus posted:

Just put me south of the stairs on the right in a big line please bacarruda

Will this do?

Also, here is the entirety of your team in 50 by 50:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Just for reference, 1 of those squares is 1 inch, right?

Professor Karpechenko's Immortals will deploy in car A, like this:

Yes. 1 square is one inch.

I hope the measurements aren't too confusing. Getting the art assets, paint.net, and Roll20 to play nice with each other and keep my grids consistent has been a bitch.

As the game goes on, I expect this will be less of a problem as I get the hang of things.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Speaking of making things easier, what do you want from us with respect to the tokens and the maps? I was just going to use MS paint to draw out orders and stuff, or is there another way you prefer? Keeping track of all these things must be a hassle, although at least it's not WW1 yet.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

It's now my headcannon that Miss Krupskaya is twice as big as Vladimir.

Ah, Moya poohleenkaya zolota!

Idiyot! Cover Comrade Bronstein and I and keep your fool mouth shut, Myshka!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

This will be my deployment order; I'm aware that the tokens might be too big but I don't really have the time to fix the size right now.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Looks like there isn't much room left for us, but the Exhibition are here! I assume, anyway, after the airship.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:japan:BANZAI:japan:

IJA deployment

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Palyu Temple

You've all deployed. You can see the old monk meditating by the Red Temple.

Submit your MOVE orders, please.

To speed things along, I'd appreciate it if you gave me 2 turns worth of movement orders. Unless one of you would like to shoot or fight this phase, in which case, let me know.

Initiative remains the same as before:

Gentleman's Club - AJ_Impy 11
British Royal Society - Cathode Raymond 10
The Exhibition of a Bright Future - Revenant Threshold 8
The Order of the Sanskrit Sutra - The Saurus 6

Train Robbery

Submit your MOVE and SHOOTING orders, please.

Gordon Dragis' Gang - Grandalt 12
The Iron Chancellor and the Electro-Squad - sullat 11
Lenin's Bolshie Brigade - Lenoon 10
Halcutta Brigands - Gamerofthegame 9
Professor Karpechenko's Immortals - my dad 6
The Marceau Trading Commission - Dr. Snark 5
The Seven Former Samurai - AtomikKrab 2

You can see the train has a few passengers. Most look like your usual frontier scoundrels, but a few look like their pockets might be well-lined. Perhaps they'll reward you for saving them? Or perhaps you can relieve them of their burdensome pocketbooks?

There are also plenty of Russian army guards prowling the train. Any goon not currently playing is welcome to take control of this company! Otherwise, I will just control it.

Officers: Pluck: 4+ FV: 2+ SV: 1+ Speed: 0; Armor: Lined Coat; Weapons: Pistol, Sabre
Soldiers: Pluck: 5+ FV: 1+ SV: 1+ Speed: 0 ;Talents: Bayonet Drill; Armor: Lined Coat; Weapons: Military Rifle, Bayonet

If you'd like to unlock the cars, rather than simply blasting them open, you might be able to get a key from the engineer or the conductor.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Gordon sighs at this delay. Well, looks like there will need to be some work in order to get the train moving again.

"You, go and get some crates. I want this train moving as soon as possible. I don't want to be waiting around long enough for all the heat to leave this car."

The goon in Car B go to collect dynamite and move towards the ice block, while Gordon and Rogar hold position. No need to start shooting just yet.

(Sorry about the image size, my computer is acting up a bit and still is. Hopefully this is right.)

grandalt fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2016

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

grandalt posted:

Gordon sighs at this delay. Well, looks like there will need to be some work in order to get the train moving again.

"You two, go and get some crates. I want this train moving as soon as possible. I don't want to be waiting around long enough for all the heat to leave this car."

The two goons in Car B go to collect dynamite and move towards the ice block, while Gordon and Rogar hold position. No need to start shooting just yet.

(Sorry about the image size, my computer is acting up a bit and still is. Hopefully this is right.)

e: resolved

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 10, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

IJA

Orders: Run north using the sides of the armored cars for cover, bullets might penetrate those shoddy russian passenger cars but the bear does notably good work with armor and the sides of those should withstand fire easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

edit: Ah, the Halcutta lot.

edit: Regardless, orders for Lenin's Bolshie Brigade

Lenin: move towards south end of carriage, throw brick lane bottle at the Halcutta brigand walker (will just be within 5" range)
Trotsky: cast Path of shadows (move 12), move directly to the end of the carriage, throw brick lane bottle at the Halcutta Brigand walker
Krupshaya: pick up dynamite from the dynamite store, move 6 squares towards the end of the carriage, cast Clouding Men's Minds in the shooting phase
Stalin: move towards south end of carriage, if possible shoot machinegun at the Halcutta brigand walker, do not split fire.

Is that ok? Would you like a map?

lenoon fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread