Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Welcome to the next round of In Her Majesty's Name. Most of you are familiar with Grey Hunter's LP of this game. This LP is going to be a pretty similar, but I've added plenty of twists of my own. New maps, new settings, new Companies, new goons, and new challenges.

The world is changing faster than anyone could have imagined. Charles Babbage's Difference Engine allowed engineers and card-punching clackers to compute, invent, and push the limits of human ingenuity. Steam engines, electric rifles, ironclad battleships, high-flying zeppelins, and armored walkers have taken the world by storm. But in a world trying to define itself by reason, ancient superstitions and terrible monsters lurk in the shadows, waiting for those brave or foolish enough to seek them. The world lies at the feat of the great powers, mad scientists, and treasure seekers.

For those of you new to this, IHMN is a tabletop skirmish game. It's set in an alternate history Victorian world. Players build small companies of characters and lead them into battle. Your imagination is the limit. Cowboys, Lovercraftian monsters, pith-helmeted explorers, and ruthless secret agents are all fair game.

There are two options for player participation. You can create a company, creating and leading a small group of heroic characters through the campaign. Starting off, we'll only have 10-12 companies, but we might add more as things go on. Or, you can guest star. I create a company of villains or heroes who'll make a few appearances in the campaign. For example, you might get to lead a pack of Yetis that ambush players as they explore a mountain temple.

This LP will have a narrative weaving the battle together. Part of this story will be driven by me, but most of it will be driven by you, the players. Each round of this game will be have five phases: the Narrative phase, the Intrigue phase, the Strategy phase, the Battle phase, and the Post-Battle Phase.

In this phase, I reveal the next chapter of the narrative. I might give you a few adventure hooks, spread some rumors, or reveal a piece of that long-lost map you've just discovered. This will give you something to plot about in the next phase of the campaign.

For example, I will give you a some potential missions. Will you Raid the Sher-Li Temple or hijack the Pinkerton's Armored Train?

What happens next is up to you. Throughout the game you can form and re-form factions. For example, Yankee traders, Union Army veterans, and a band of cowboys could form the American faction. It's up to you to set goals and divide the loot your faction gets. Of course, if you want to be a hired gun or a lone wolf, that's an option, too.

During the intrigue phase, you can communication in public or in private. Public communication needs to be posted in the thread. You can rally troops, post help wanted ads, or generally shoot the poo poo. Private communication needs to be done over email (cc or bcc me, please!). This is a place for private plotting. Backstab, betray, and bargain to your heart's content.

With your allies and paid friends, determine which mission you're going to go on. You can choose one of the missions I've offered, or you can make your own mission. If you don't fancy fighting Yetis or raiding trains, but a new mercenary you hired spilled the beans on a former employer's secret base, you might decide to raid his base instead. Or, you can choose to sit things out, although you won't get any loot or experience!

Now, I post a list of the active missions. For example,
  • Raid the Sher-Li Temple
  • Hijack the Pinkerton's Train
  • Besiege Fort Apache
Email me which mission you're going on or post it in the thread. For my sake, don't contradict yourself. Once everyone has chose their, we move on to the battle phase and the fight starts.

I give you a gridded map of the battlefield with different deployment zones. Depending on the mission, your deployment zones might up to you or be pre-selected. For example, one company might deploy inside a wagon circle, the attacking Indians deploy outside, and the US cavalry reinforcements deploy after 10 turns have passed.

I will post public objectives for each player or faction. For example, The Pinkertons must protect Dr. Witherspoon from being kidnapped by the natives. If they succeed, he will pay them 200 dollars But you may also be given (or can create your own) secret objectives. The Pinkertons can hand over Dr. Witherspoon to the James Gang, who are offering 100 dollars and an experimental Bulldog Walker.

At the start of the round, I roll each company's initiative and post it. You publicly post your deployment orders in the thread. I deploy your men on the map.

You privately send me your move orders. I post the results of the move orders.

You privately send me your shooting orders. I input the shooting orders in order of initiative. I post the shooting results.

You privately send me your fighting orders orders and I run them order of initiative. I post the fighting results.

New turn, new initiative rolls and we go until the battle is over.

During this phase, there can be no private communication. You're in a battle! Everyone can hear you yelling to each other and there's no time for elaborate backroom plotting.

After the battle, some of you will be dead. Some of you may not be. After the battle, I will make survival and wounded rolls, so you go down during a battle, you might end up dead, heavily wounded, or just fine. I want this game to be high-stakes, so no immortal characters. Everyone takes their chances.

After the battle, you will get paid. Each battle will automatically earn you 100 gold dollars. You can get more cash in the form of loot or buildings you capture.

You can capture cash-generate structures. Or you can spend cash to build them. Your imagination is the limit. Want to build a tunnel through the mountains and generate tolls from passersby? Talk to me and I will sort out a price.

You can also spend cash on fortifications, buying vehicles, acquiring weapons, or training your men. If you want a steam tank or a howitzer, you can get it for the right price. I will convert 4 gold dollars to 1 experience point, but I will not convert experience to dollars.

After each battle, you get 25 experience points and can get more for doing things like killing enemies or complete objectives. You can spend these points on buying another character or on buying better stats or new talents for your current characters.

After we pick the setting, you'll need to build a Company - use the supplementary resources I've posted below to build your Company or ask goons to help you. You have 250 points to spend. As you win battles, you'll be able to spend more points on soldiers, armor, and weapons. You can see a list of costs here.

Here are your key stats:
  • Pluck: a combination of will, resilience, and luck. Determines how well your character can dodges or take hits and resist mystical powers.
  • FV Fighting Value - how good you are at hand-to-hand combat
  • SV: Shooting Value - how accurate you are at shooting; a high SV is needed to find the chinks in heavy armor
  • S: Speed - each point of speed adds +1 inch to your movement speed.
  • Armour - heavy armor makes you safer, but also slows you down
  • Weapons - weapons have different damage, accuracy, and pluck bonuses/penalties
  • Talents - a host of different feats and skills that can give you bonuses and special abilities
  • Mystical Powers - Magic! The ability to control minds, kill enemies, and much more.

For example, the Prince of Wales' Extraordinary Company

Every Company needs to have a brave and fearless leader. Flashman! Well, it needs to have a leader. Higher leadership scores cost more, but if your leader has a higher scores, it means your company is more likely to take the initiative!

Three key rules here. One, no immortal characters. If you die, you die. I don't want heroes to have to keep killing your giant spider monster over and over again. Two, no single unit companies. I don't want 250 point behemoths rolling around. You should have a semi-balanced company. A main character surrounded by goons is fine with me. Three, no insane multi-unit companies. The number of initial men you can have is capped at 7. Too many units to keep track of means I gently caress up more.

Each unit will need their own token, a 100x100 image I can use as a counter in Roll20.

I'm going to limit the number of Companies to 12. If I get help running this or things turn out ok, I may add more Companies. I may also have player-controlled NPC-style Companies like packs of Yetis or random brawlers for people to control as one-shots (or maybe even recurring characters).

If someone wants to help me, that would be hugely appreciated. I will be using Roll20. If you want to help email me at SABacarruda at gmail.com

There are lots of ideas for factions!

If I think your faction is offensive or if it becomes offensive, I will boot it. So no racial slurs or over-the-top stereotypes. This game should be light, fun, and pulpy, so write things in that spirit.

Here are some ideas for factions/general directions you can take your companies in. Ideally, we will have 4-5 factions n this game.

Great Powers: The ancient regimes of France, Britain, Germany Russia, Austria or newer, more assertive nations like the US or Japan. You are soldiers, explorers, and do-gooders fighting for Queen and Country. You have the best technology your governments can provide and you want to make sure the sun never sets on your empire.

Mercenaries: You are a gun for hire. No God, no glory, just looking for a payday. People won't trust, you unless you keep your word.

Adventurers and Tomb-Robbers: You just want to have a good time Or maybe you want to show the wonders of this new land to the world and get those artifacts to a museum. Or you want to smash, grab, and stuff your pockets. Think Indiana Jones vs. Belloc.

Heroes: Evil is loose in world and you must stop it. Want to make Steampunk Batman and Robin, backed by the Victorian Gotham PD? Go ahead! Want to make Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson? Go ahead!

Villains: Mustache-twirling bad guys. You want money, power, and riches. And you don't care how many orphanages your burn or how many widows you create to do it. Better watch out for the heroes, though. Let your imagination run wild. You can be a Steampunk Darth Vader and with Arc Rifle-armed stormtroopers. You can be Snidely Whiplash.

Natives: You're from these parts. You might be Stone Age hunters, jezail-wielding hillmen, cultish shamans, or the local Sultan's crack guards. Either way, you aren't happy about this invasion. Or maybe you are, and you see their arrival as a chance to knock off your rivals.

Mad Scientists: You are a brilliant, if unorthodox inventor. You want to push technology to its limits, and terra incognita is the perfect place to try out that new armored airship you designed.

Monsters and Horrors: Lovecraftian horrors, awakened mummies, and vampires are all fair game. Just remember, just about everyone will want to enslave you, kill you, or poke you with electrodes.

Aliens and Little Green Men: Less Roswell, more War of the Worlds. Tripod aliens, death rays, and John Carter of Mars.

The setting you choose will determine what narrative you encounter, what villains you fight, and what riches you discover. If you'd like, we can mix and match your favorite elements of each setting.

Raiders of Shangri-La: For centuries, travelers have whispered of a long-lost city hidden amongst the snowy peaks of the Himalayas: Shangri-La. Legends tell of vast riches, unworldly wisdom, and even everlasting youth. From every quarter of the globe, soldiers, scholars, and thieves have come to search for this city. But their journey will not be easy. Yetis, warriors, avalanches, and unworldly powers all stand in their path.

Mysterious Egypt: Egypt is in turmoil. Street gangs, anti-Khedive anarchists, rogue Egyptologists, and Foreign Legionnaires are all creating havoc in their own way. There are even rumors that a lost city has been discovered in the shifting sands. No one who has entered the city has ever come out alive. Some say it holds the Ark of the Covenant. Others say it holds a reawakened mummy. Others say it holds a portal to another world and a link to the "Goa'uld," whoever they are.

The Heart of Darkness: Surrounded by hostile natives, ferocious animals, a group of colonial adventurers and do-gooders are trapped in the heart of darkest Africa. They've discovered something of immense value, something nations and scoundrels will kill for. Some of you must journey through the mysterious jungle by foot, steamboat, or zeppelin to rescue the band of trapped players. Those of you with a more villainous streak can seek to destroy the expedition and steal their riches. Think Livingston and Stanley with machine guns and witch doctors.

Hell on Wheels: In the Weird West, power follows the railroad. Robber barons and the US government carry their wealth in giant armored trains. Indians, bandits, and anarchists eye the wealth locked in these rolling vaults. Band up with other goons to build railroads, construct your own armored trains, and pit Americans industry against Indian superstition.

Captain Nemo and the Flying Dutchman: The seas are filled with pirates, sea monsters, and mad inventors. Hidden treasure awaits for those brave enough to seek it. And the fabled Flying Dutchman has been seen again in these waters, hunted by Captain Nemo and his Nautilus. If you can capture it, you'll be the king of the high seas. If you fail, you'll be damned to Davy Jones' Locker for eternity. Make a ally of Nemo and fight with him. Or make a powerful enemy. It's up to you!

1. We will be following the IHMN rules as well as some rules from the supplements. I have GM fiat, so I will tweak the rules a little. I will tell you when I do this.
2. No immortal characters. You die in battle, you better hope you roll well after the fight. Otherwise, you are dead forever.
3. No single-character companies to start with. You need to have a few sidekicks, even if they are just nameless goods.
4. No insanely-imbalanced companies. A horde of 50 monkeys or a single ironclad deathwalker is more frustrating than fun to fight.
5. To start with, no more than 7 characters per company.
6. No in-private communication during battles. Chat all you want during intrigue, but if you're fighting a battle in public, I'm going to assume a sharp-eared enemy can hear you. Plus, who has time for detailed diplomacy on the battlefield.
7. Don't be a dick. If you start doing dickishly gamey stuff or being an rear end in a top hat to other players, I will warn you. Keep doing it, and I will boot you.
8. Help others. Most people don't have the rulebooks, so accurate advice and help making companies is always appreciated.

Now that you know the rules, it's time for the next steps.

First, you vote on the setting. We'll take 24 hours or so to pick the setting. If you want to mix and match elements from multiple settings, let me know.

Once we've picked the setting, you can start making companies that fit the setting. It's ok to recycle companies from last time, but I'd like to see creative and new Companies too! I will pick the top 12 companies.

Once we have companies, I will post a map and some introductory narrative. You can start scheming and forming factions.

I will drop the first missions, you intrigue and plot. Once you've told me your plans, the first battles will begin and the campaign will really start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

LP FULL, NO NEW COMPANIES BEING ACCEPTED CURRENTLY! But stick around, there will be lots of Yetis and other assorted villains for you to control as one-shots!

Lenoon - Lenin's Bolshie Brigade - bc.cvav @ gmail.com - STATTED, needs tokens
Cathode Raymond - British Royal Society - cathoderaymond @ gmail.com - STATTED
sullat - The Iron Chancellor - SAsullat @ Gmail.com -STATTED
Grandalt - Gordon Dragis' Gang - capt_melonhead @ comcast.net - STATTED
AtomikKrab - The Seven Former Samurai - Atomikkrab @ gmail.com - STATTED, images here
Dr. Snark - Marceau Trading Commission - drsnarksa @ gmail.com STATTED, needs images
AJ_Impy - Gentleman's Club for Science and Technology Expeditionary Clique - AJ_Impy S yahoo.com - STATTED
my dad - Professor Karpechenko's Immortals - sagoonmydad @ gmail.com -STATTED
Gamerofthegame - Halcutta Brigands - Patric64 @ gmail.com - STATTED
The Saurus - The Order of the Sanskrit Sutra - blackmetalpriest @ gmail.com - STATTED
Revenant Threshold - SARevenantThreshold @ Outlook.com -The Exhibition of a Bright Future - STATTED, needs images

Imperial Japan - Seven Samurai (AtomikKrab)
Her Majesty's Technological Expeditionary Force. - Gentleman's Club (AJ_Impy), British Royal Society (cathode raymond)

Reference sheet:
http://inhermajestysname.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ihmn-reference-sheet-v4.pdf

Cost sheet:
http://inhermajestysname.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/ihmn-figure-costing-reference-sheet.pdf

Core rulebook preview
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZTT4rJZxFKMC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Heroes, Villains and Fiends preview
http://books.google.com/books?id=os6OAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sleeping Dragon, Rising Sun preview
http://books.google.com/books?id=fcSXAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Developer website (contains free expansions and resources):
http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/

IRC Channel:
http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23ihmn&server=leilani.md.us.synirc.net

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 4, 2016

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

IHMN is dead, long live IHMN!

Mysterious Egypt sounds like it would have the perfect combination of magic bullshit, aliens, and references to have a great time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All aboard the Shangri-La Express!

(Raiders of Shangri-La meets Hell on Wheels)

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Mysterious Egypt has enough to be quite interesting.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 30, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

(Raiders of Shangri-La meets Hell on Wheels)

Excellent! As always, goons are free to mix and match their favorite aspects of each setting.

I'll leave voting open a little longer.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Shangri-la or bust!

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Time to walk like an Egyptian (mysterious egypt)

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

I leave voting open for a little bit longer, but it looks like Egypt could be the winner!

Starting coming up with those companies. If you have an idea for a company but aren't sure how to build it, I can help! Want a Steam Pony Express or an army of mummies? I'll see if I can put something together.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

AJ_Impy posted:

I vote for this. The Back of Beyond location and era is wonderfully mad.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Excited about this thread - it's a shame that Grey's somehow fizzled out, but I suppose it was a great test run. Anyway, I'm for All aboard the Shangri-La Express!

I'm not sure about making a company, the rules feel intimidating to learn. But I wouldn't mind controlling some pregenerated monsters or NPCs.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Company rules are ok in the main, and the rulebook has pre-gens you can resin to your heart's delight. Really glad this is back!

I think Shangri-La sounds like a good option, and I'll even come up with a new idea for a band....

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
If Egypt wins that sounds like it will be fun, but...

What if we mash Hell on Wheels together with Captain Nemo and the Flying Dutchman? An under water rail line designed to connect Western Europe to Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East. Maybe the Brits pioneered the technology first when they built a rail line in the English Channel to connect Great Britain to France, and the other European nations are racing to be the first to successfully complete a line themselves? Contend with pirates and privateers hired by foreign powers trying to delay or halt the project, or raid an already running line. Find lost treasure buried on the seafloor. Awaken the things sleeping in the depths that man was not meant to know.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 30, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shangri-la

I have a hankering for being a great power this time. or wait, we get 7 guys?

A Rising power shall take the stage,

:japan:

yes I am going to deploy the 7 samurai

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shangri-La

Time to deploy some more mechas Steampunk walkers

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Hey everybody!

I've read all of these zany group-skirmish LP's and they finally convinced me sign up for the forums. Now I will have a slight influence on the events I read about!

Also, I am terrible and like unpopular things, so I'm going to throw my vote in for the Hell on Wheels setting.

I will probably roll up a cadre of the Mad Scientist type, though I have yet to read the rulebook so this might change.

EDIT:

RickVoid posted:

What if we mash Hell on Wheels together with Captain Nemo and the Flying Dutchman?

We must do that thing he said. Changing my vote to Hell on Wheels/Captain Nemo, henceforth known as HoW/CNatFD.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 30, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

RickVoid posted:

If Egypt wins that sounds like it will be fun, but...

What if we mash Hell on Wheels together with Captain Nemo and the Flying Dutchman? An under water rail line designed to connect Western Europe to Africa, Egypt, and the Middle East. Maybe the Brits pioneered the technology first when they built a rail line in the English Channel to connect Great Britain to France, and the other European nations are racing to be the first to successfully complete a line themselves? Contend with pirates and privateers hired by foreign powers trying to delay or halt the project, or raid an already running line. Find lost treasure buried on the seafloor. Awaken the things sleeping in the depths that man was not meant to know.

Changing my vote to this because it sounds so awesomely ridiculous.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I kind of want to re-write Murder on the Orient Express now, except have it take place on Sea-Train.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I might join. I dunno. I don't think IHMM really works out in this format, nor is it exactly a fundamentally well drawn up game. (Like muskets costing one point less then the otherwise superior in every aspect carbine and junk) The settings look like they'd work out a hell of a lot better then the empty Atlantis one cuz they all feature, ya know, civilization and stuff, but...

edit: PS Hell on Wheels natch.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Hell on Wheels/Captain Nemo sounds better than what I had in mind. Or not.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 30, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Man, hell on wheels meets Nemo is as crazy as hell on wheels meets Shangri-La. I was considering the British Raj driving a line through to the mystical hidden kingdom, but no reason why the mystical hidden kingdom can't be thousands of feet below sea level instead of above it. I have already cast my vote but would be happy with either outcome.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Dunno, unless underwater is handwaved away, all of a sudden everyone has to have amphibious or swimming or be next to useless. Not to mention that a lot of weapons will be useless unless handwaving occurs.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
We could have the hybrid setting take place on and around the Pacific coast, with inland mining towns, growing port cities, and more or less traditional surface ships on the open ocean with a few underwater bits thrown in here and there (perhaps a domed city or the beginning of a transoceanic tunnel project) . The whole thing wouldn't have to take place underwater, as I agree that could lead to zaniness and poorly-performing flamethrowers.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

We could have the hybrid setting take place on and around the Pacific coast, with inland mining towns, growing port cities, and more or less traditional surface ships on the open ocean with a few underwater bits thrown in here and there (perhaps a domed city or the beginning of a transoceanic tunnel project) . The whole thing wouldn't have to take place underwater, as I agree that could lead to zaniness and poorly-performing flamethrowers.

Don't try to stick everything into one setting. Have a distinct theme.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Well then, it's decided! All aboard the Shangri-La Express!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Japan will be the first to put a railroad through shangri-la.

:japan:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Going through the war-torn Chinese lands? Hah! The route from the British Raj will be Far more reliable! And the less said about the Russian Trans-Siberian plans, the better.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Welcome to the Himalayas, travellers. The 'Great Game' between Britain and Russia has reached these cloud-shrouded mountains. Both sides want control of Tibet and its high mountains, for whoever controls these peaks could control India. These mountains also hold vast riches in minerals and antiquities. Furthermore, they hold rivers needed to quench the thirst of millions and to provide hydro-power to Britain's colonies.

The stakes of this game are very, very high. Whoever wins it, wins an empire. Whoever loses it, could lose everything. Nations have sent their best soldiers, their worst scoundrels, and their most brilliant minds to win an advantage in this struggle for power.

But these mundane things do not draw most of you, I imagine. There are rumors of a lost city in the clouds: Shangri-La. A city of fabulous wealth, eternal life, and unworldly wisdom. For centuries, outsiders have sought it. Perhaps now, you will be able to find it.

Your journey will be perilous. Nature guards the secrets of this land well. Avalanches, glaciers, and raging rivers can all kill you. Yetis and other mountain monsters can eat you. Bandits and warrior monks will fight you. And even if you do manage to enter Shangri-La, beware. This is a place men and women like you were not meant to go.

Luckily, you won't have to walk all the way to Shangri-La. Modern technology has allowed trains to climb steeper grades better than ever before, making these daring mountain railroads possibles. Engineers and armies of workers are slaving to build bridges, blast tunnels, and lay tracks, all with the help of giant steam machines and walkers. There are three railroads being built into the Himalayas.

The dashed lines are where the railroad is currently being built. The solid lines are where the line has been built. If you side with one of these great companies, you'll be able to ride their trains...for a price. But don't be expected if they ask for favors in return...

H.M. Himalayan Railroad: backed by the Queen herself, this railroad has been built at great expense to secure the Empire's northern borders. Non-British subjects are strongly "discouraged" from riding this railroad. However, you may be able to get on a train through the use of force or guile.

Imperial Russian Railroad Company: built with labor and materials begrudgingly supplied by the Chinese government, this is Russia's bid to slash into the Himalayas and grab as much land and wealth as possible.

The Calcutta-Nanking Railroad: bankrolled by shadowy investors, no one quite knows who is building this line or why. But no one wants to argue with the hordes of uniformed men and barely-uniformed bandits guarding the railroad. Could H.M. government tacitly support this project? Or do they plan on stealing the railroad once it's built?

You can also choose to travel by airship, although be warned that airships can be dangerous in the high winds and jagged peaks of the Himalayas. I have a specially-made table just for all the horrible accidents that can happen to you. Or, you can travel overland by steam wagon, horseback, or something else.. Just be careful, avalanches can wipe you out and the roads are great here.

Now, you can create your companies and create your factions. You can use email or posts in the thread to create factions. Just remember to cc me on your emails at SABacarruda @ gmail

Use the resources I posted earlier in the thread to help you out.

For those of you hankering to get your hands on transportation, don't worry. You''ll get your zeppelins, trains, and steam tanks soon enough. And with enough cash, you might be able to build a railroad of your own...

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 1, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

In real life: Lenoon? What are you up to? You're supposed to be helping with the new year party

Yes darling, I'll just do this thing....

The year is 1892. In Samara, on the banks of the Volga, a young student revolutionary is dreaming away....

If only I could get enough money to truly form a vanguard party to lead the proletariat into the land of milk and honey. But I, an impoverished student, can only take part-time jobs or I'll lose my place here, at the Nu-Samara Techno-mancy College for Further Education!

He flicks through the local paper (printed on the finest Neo-Papyrus), his eyes anxiously scanning the latest news from the railhead to the Himalayas, visions of gold, of wisdom, of justice, feverishly spinning in front of him. But that is not what he seeks. Aha!

Help wanted! Babysitter for unruly teens! Perfect!

Lenin's Bolshie Brigade will feature:

Vladimir Illych Ulyanov as the fearsome and certainly-not-irresponsible babysitter for

Lev Davidovich Bronstein - Hormonal, broody and wise beyond his years, Lev is sick to the back teeth of his overbearing parents who just don't understand mannnnnnn, he's talking about a new generation and a new type of politics

Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili - an angry, violent teen who believes he is irresistible to women, enthralling to men and all around the greatest wrestler Georgia has, nay, will ever, produce, he's out to prove himself in a world he never made!

Nadezhda Krupskaya - sulty, educated and downright irresistible, Vladimir's on-again-off-again girlfriend isn't going to let our boyish and handsome hero out of her sight for one drat minute...

So join us for Lenin's Bolshie Brigade - Communism! Teenagers! Russians! Madcap antics! Backstabbing politics! What more could any self-respecting adventure ask for?

Back in the real world: Stats will come fairly quick, along with special teenage-communist pogs for rolld20.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Oh man! It's starting!

The rumors of Shangri-La have attracted some of the less reputable members of the British Royal Society:

Lord-Professor Henry Worthington, C.B.E: The nominal supervisor of this whole mess, Worthington is an unsteady man of incredible age. He has presided over - but not contributed to - a great deal of scientific progress over the course of his seven-decade career. He has recently been imbibing arsenic-based "youth treatments" which have had a deleterious effect on his sanity. He delivers long, rambling, stream-of-consciousness lectures about the need to "reinvent chivalry for this age of steam" and the applications of "clean, all-natural poisonous gases". He is convinced that Shangri-La holds the secret of eternal youth, and he is determined to find it. He might also lance some people.

Stats:
Pl 3+ (9) FV +4 (9) SV 2 (2) [20]
Gear:
Plate armor (25) Lance (6) steam horse (21) Breath preserver (2) [54)
traits:
Fanatic (5) [5]

79 points total

Dr. Sir Digby Westman, M.B.E: A West Highland terrier of some renown, Dr. Westman was the end result of a long Royal Society dog breeding program that selected for intelligence. As a result, Westman is literate and has even received an honorary medical degree, although he is limited in his practice by his lack of hands. He is also an amateur contraptionist and is responsible for the design and maintenance of most of the team's gear. He has deep reservations about this expedition, and worries in particular about how the team’s various airships and ornithopters will function at the high altitude. He is also concerned that Worthington will further blemish the Society's already inconsistent human rights record. Delivers orders through an elaborate flag signal system.

Stats:
pl 3+ (9) FV +2 (2) SV 2 (2) spd 2 (2) [15]
Gear:
Pistol (3) Elaborate Flag Signal Set (0) [3]
Traits:
Leadership 2 (6) Medic (5) Engineer (5) [16]

total: 34

Indentured Orphans: Still on loan from the workhouse after decades of indentured servitude, these forsaken children have grown into forsaken adults and serve as the main combat force of the Royal Society. They are trained to be as cost-effective as possible. Attrition rates among the Orphans have historically been very high. Indentured Orphan #0014 (pictured) is the longest-lived and most battle-hardened of the Orphans, having first seen combat as a teenager in Crimea. #0132 is the second longest-lived. Both have been chosen for the Shangri-La expedition, and each has insisted on bringing his own Maxim gun.

Stats:
pl 4+ (4) FV +2 (2) SV 3+ (4) [10]
Gear:
Machine Gun (26) sword (4) chain shirt (4) [34]
Traits:
Strongman (5) [5]

49 points total x 2 = 98 points

Master Tentacular: A many-tentacled eldritch abomination from parts unknown. “Liberated” from Barnum & Bailey’s Circus in a daring midnight raid by Indentured Orphans #0014, #0132 (WIA), #1109 (KIA), #1382 (KIA), and #1457 (KIA). He weighs just shy of a ton and will only eat primates.

Stats:
pl 4+ (4) FV +3 (4) SV 0 spd 2 (2) [10]
Gear:
Gelatinous Hide (chain shirt) (4) So Many Tentacles (halberd) (6) [10]

Total 20

Vehicles:

Armored Steam Carriage: 19 points

Grand Total: 250 points

Finances:

$0

Pics are up!

Do we announce which rail line we are backing?

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 5, 2016

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
After an anarchist mage's spell cursed the chancellor, the finest arcano-smiths of Konigsberg created a new shell for the chancellor's withered body. Now, The Iron Chancellor combs the world for the mystic secrets to restore his body and soul. Accompanied by the eccentric Doctor von Scientist and his Electro-Squad, they have made arrangements to head to Shangri-la to uncover its secrets. They will pay the the price for them, in iron and blood.

Once I get back home I'll stat things up and look for a picture of a robotic Otto von Bismark.

The Iron Chancellor: 146

Pluck 2(16), FV/SV 2/3 (2)(4), Speed 0: 22
Arc Generator: 20
Breath Preserver: 2
Fanatic: 5
Leadership 2: 6
Magneto-Static Waistcoat: 2

Kaiser Wilhelm Walker w/arc cannon: 89 points

Doctor von Scientist: 28

Pluck 4(4), FV/SV 0/2 (0)(2), Speed 1: 7
Arc Rifle: 9
Engineer: 5
Magneto-Static Waistcoat: 2
Medic: 5

The Electro-Squad: 19x4: 76

Pluck 4(4), FV/SV 0/3 (0)(4), Speed 0: 8
Arc Rifle: 9
Vulcan Coat: 2

Total: 250

sullat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 1, 2016

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Gordon Dragis, criminal mastermind, looks at the map pinned on the wall. Somewhere in those mountains holds an opportunity of a lifetime. But seizing it will take more manpower and of course, going there. So, he turns to his aide Rogar. "Go tell Pete we'll be hiring him and his crew. There's a profit to be made."

Gordon Dragis, a man known in the underworld for grandiose schemes which would have failed if not for the facts of an extraordinary toughness and willingness to use enough electricity to light London for a year in one night. 87 points
+2Pluck 3+FV +4SV 0Speed Leadership +3, iron will, fearless, impervious, tough,strongman Magneto-static waistcoat, arc cannon, knife, storm lantern

Rogar Smith, Gordon's aide, butler and right hand man. He has seen his employer through a number of plans, providing needed organization to these plots. 53 points
+3Pluck +4FV +2SV +2Speed(+3 to ability) Leadership +2, martial artist, fanatic, part of the crowd Unarmed(martial arts), quarterstaff, pistol

Pete, a captain who almost certainly is a pirate, often hired by Gordon for his discreet recruitment and speedy transportation. The Himalayas are a bit out of the way, but the money is good enough. 63 points
+3Pluck +1FV +5SV +1Speed Marksman, hunter, stealthy Brigandine, hunting rifle, English All-Electric Truncheon

Thugs, the criminals that serve as Gordon's organization. Their quality has declined due to the last plan of Gordon's involved a human wire to channel enough voltage to make a vault door explode. The survivors were very well paid afterwards through. 23 points
+5Pluck +2FV +2SV 0Speed Stealthy, part of the crowd Pistol,knife, lined coat

Goons, Pete's motley crew following their captain on threat of pain, denial of gin, and the chance to loot and plunder their way in the roof of the world. 22 points
+4Pluck +2FV +2SV 0Speed stealthy Pistol, sword, brigandine

Stats are here now. And so are images.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The Emperor of Japan has laid down his secret decree, Japan shall control the legendary city of Shangri-la and use its control of there as an excuse to both lay a railline through mainland china and sieze the lands for the empire as well. BANZAI!!!!

To do this he has sent forth an elite team of of former samurai who had sided with him over the shogun, while in japan itself the time of samurai has passed in those forsaken mountains of china it is the greatest of warriors who are needed over common soldiers. And as well as being the greatest of warriors by acting in the traditional garb of the samurai they shall be deniable to the other great powers, "deserters from the shogunate" are not the responsibility of the Emperor. These brave seven shall forge the trail which the might of Imperial Japan shall follow.

Faction: Imperial Japan

The Seven Former Samurai of the IJA

Kambei Shimada: Commander of the Expedition 45 pts
3+ +5 +1 +2S 28 pts
Equipment
Martial Artist 5 pts
leadership 1 3 pts
katana, Brigandine , Pistol 9 points.

Okamoto Katsushiro: An inexperienced but courageous Samurai 24 pts
4+ +2 +2 +2S 10 pts
equip:
Martial artist 5 pts
katana, Brigandine , Pistol 9 points

Katayama Gorobei: A Warrior skilled enough to be said to cut bullets down from the air. 39 pts
4+ +3 +2 +2S 12 pts
equip:
Martial artist 5 pts
Mystical power: Reflection (note impervious won't stop the bullet coming back because the power isn't used against them.) 12 pts
katana, Brigandine , Bow 10 points

Shichiroji: A Veteran Samurai who favors a Yari over a katana in battle. 26 pts
equip:
4+ +3 +1 +2S 11 pts
Martial Artist 5 pts
Yari, Brigandine , Pistol 10 points

Kikuchiy2o: While his origins are dubious he has a strong back and a stronger heart. 53 pts
4+ +1 +0 +0S 5 pts
Equipment and powers:
Martial Artist 5 points
Strongman 5 pts
Kourogi Light military walker (base chassis is 21 pts, determined by stripping off the guns)
12”Speed 11 Armor Vertical Spring Translocators
and Titanic Steam Katana: 38 pts
Custom Weapon: Titanic Steam Katana
+5 WB -5 Pluck needs steam power 17 pts

Hayashida Heihach: The Teams Combat Engineer 33 pts
4+ +3 +2 +3S 14 pts
Martial Artist 5 pts
Engineer: 5 pts
katana, Brigandine, Pistol 9 points

Kyuzo: A Silent but powerful warrior. 30 pts
4+ +4 +1 +2S 16 pts
Martial Artist 5 pts
katana, Brigandine , Pistol 9 points

Total: 250

I am working on them right now and hope to deploy a diverse team to the field.

Didn't we have an irc channel up on synirc, we could discuss in there.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 1, 2016

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

While many so-called adventurers want to travel to the Himalayas to search for Shangri-La, the conditions of the mountains means that a lot of preparation is necessary. A lot of money can be made selling gear to fools who are prepared to march to their deaths searching for a so-called legendary city.

That is where the newly-founded Marceau Trading Commission comes in. Their leader Jacques Marceau has been given a commission by the French government to make as much money as he can off of the influx of dead men walking potential customers. He has hired on a small cadre of mercenaries to assist in this goal; a bandit who calls himself "Vulture", a local warrior known simply as Kosun, and other goons and vagabonds who are looking for profit and don't really care how they get it.

The Marceau Trading Commission will profit off of these god-forsaken mountains, and don't really care how many people die trying to find Shangri-La so long as there's still money to be made.

Marceau

4+ Pluck: 4
FV +3: 4
SV +4: 9
Brigandine: 2
Hunting Rifle: 16
Rapier: 3
Rocket Pack: 5
Erudite Wit: 5
Inspirational: 10
Leadership 2: 6

Total: 64

Vulture

3+ Pluck: 9
FV/SV +4: 18
Chain Shirt: 4
2 Pistols: 6
2 Combat Knives: 6
Erudite Wit: 5
Intuitive: 5
Stealthy: 5
Gunslinger: 5

Total: 63

Kosun

2+ Pluck: 16
FV +5: 16
Steel Breastplate: 9
Two-Handed Sword: 6
Fearless: 10
Numb: 10
Tough: 5

Total: 72

Goon (3)

4+ Pluck: 4
FV/SV + 2: 4
Lined Coat: 1
Combat Knife: 3
Shotgun: 5

Total: 17 (51)

Final Total: 250

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 2, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I present to you the Gentleman's Club for Science and Technology Expeditionary Clique.

Much has been said that Shangri-la is a mystical city, that monks with extraordinary powers guard the approaches, that this is a realm where the walls of reality are thin and monsters lurk in every mountain pass. What utter rot! What poppycock! Here at the Gentleman's Club, we believe only in the power of progress and technology, and we'll bally well put our considerable inheritances where our mouths are and prove it!

Dr. Wilberforce Golightly, our indomitable expedition leader, is a master of engineering whose aim is as precise as his tolerances, and a crack shot to boot.

3+ Pluck (9) 0 FV (0) 4 SV (9)
Impervious (5), Hunter (5), Marksman (5), Engineer (5), Leadership +3 (9)
Hunting Rifle (16)
63 points.

Professor Arcadius Duquesne is an electrodyne prodigy without peer, his bulky but frankly terrifying offensive and defensive technology demonstrators would put even the Prussians to shame.

Impervious (5) Strongman (5)
Arc Cannon (12) Arc Generator (20) Magneto-Static Projection Barrier (4) Arc Truncheon (3)
67 points.

Erasmus Godmanchester, BSc specializes in the revolutionary power of steam, both to automate the devastating firepower of the modern era, and to be just as lethal near as far.

3+ Pluck (9) 3 FV (4) 4 SV (9)
Impervious (5) Strongman (5)
Machine Gun (26) Steam Fist (8) Steam Dynamo (10)
76 points.

Mr. Jiggins... Hm. To be honest, we're not entirely sure how he gained admittance to the club, but no-one quite has the nerve to ask him to leave. He likes fire. A lot. He's very good at it. He's made machines that do horrible things with it. Just... point them over there, old chap. Thank you kindly.

Impervious (5) Strongman (5) Medic (5)
Flamethrower (11)
44 points.
250 points total

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 1, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Professor Karpechenko's Immortals offer their services to anyone with deep enough pockets to afford them. And with the search for Shangri-la in progress, there are quite a few of those around.

Featuring: professor Karpechenko and his merry band of inexplicably death-resistant followers. Any rumors of insane experiments involving lots and lots of screaming are lies, I assure you

Stats:

Professor Karpechenko
<ominous backstory goes here>
  • FV +0 [0]
  • SV +0 [0]
  • Pluck 2+ [16]
  • Speed+2 [2]
  • Armor +2 (Sturdy lab coat) [2]
  • Intervention[10]
  • Impervious [5]
  • Fanatic [5]
  • Meticulous planning [15]
  • Leadership 3 [9]
Total: 64 points

3x Immortals
<ominous backstory goes here>
  • FV +2 [2]
  • SV +3 [4]
  • Pluck 2+ [16]
  • Speed+2 [2]
  • Armor +3 (Reinforced Russian Army coat) [4]
  • Intervention[10]
  • Impervious [5]
  • Fanatic [5]
  • Military rifle + bayonet + bayonet drill [14]
Total: 3*62 points = 186 points

250 points fully allocated.

Pics coming in later.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The west was a very different place. The Native men causes the ground to stir and shake, pebbles tremble and bounce off the ground as their spectral wraiths weaved through the air, taking the souls of unworthy men - and peppering the rest with arrows, that hadn't really changed. Trains were these leviathan things, blotting out the sun as they belched a thick column of coal-smock in the air, enough that it would then rain the filth on the ground below in the coming week. Marshals and federal agents rode massive steel steeds that had a mind of their own, yet whinnied steam. The Mexicans probably followed some stereotype still, goodness knows.

Things changed a lot in just a few years. To much for some. In a way, it had grown to tame the untamable badlands, squashing out petty brigands and other small, insignificant groups and towns in the west. None of that mattered, just the big players. The money went up, it never trickled back down. It became inhospitable, in every philosophical way.

David Whilsow was old at this point, rip age of... forty four. Old enough, looked older. He was good at what he did; point guns at people, get 'em scared and drop their pockets. Or safes. Or gold. Whatever have you. Man was wealthy, his grand band of brigands well fed and well armed. Any number of 'em could just take their split and go retire - and some of 'em did. When the west changed, grew teeth and gobbled everyone else, David fought back. At first, he succeeded, rebelling against the change. In time, though, his hide away was black with soot, the caverns howling with the cries of aspirations. His band of criminals shrunk, eventually shattering. The west had won - the west had died.

In a decaying slump they made their way to California, ducking their heads as the steel-clad marshals snooped around. The money wouldn't last, not like this. But it didn't matter; desperation gave way to opportunity and there were a lot of China-men on the west coast. Enough to support businesses and international eyes - like mysterious benefactors in need of a band of hard men and women to protect their interests and make a mess of everyone else's.

The mountains were like the western badlands, just colder instead of warmer. Just as many mountains, streams and all together not-badlands. It fit. The brigands really didn't, though; even the cool headed David stifled over some higher, mysterious power giving them telegrams of orders as they sailed their way to the orient, though the mainland and beyond. Lot of treasure up there in those mountains, you know. Enough to retire your whole family for generations, they say. Enough to become kings and queens. Well, that still suited the mystery-men just fine, if we're being honest here; a bunch of hotheaded brigands pointing guns at everyone?

Either way it was fine, wasn't it?

The Halcutta Brigands got their name from no where in particular, that's just how names are. Ranging in the low thirties, most of their loot were petty mooks, no one important or presentable. Most of 'em had other jobs then just poking guns at people, too.

David Whilsow was the boss, to a point. He brought out the maps and directed the men, who held him in high regard despite his aging appearance. It looked like experience, that. In truth, he wasn't that old, but looks like dealing with Injun Spirits and way to many bullets takes its toll on your hair. And face. And body all 'round, really.

Now, Fidgetty Johnson didn't quite have that reputation to him, but people respected and followed his word none the less. He patched 'em up, after all, threading needle into wounds with those trembling hands of his. Or busting someone's head open with his shocking beatstick, ya know how it is.

Pistoleer Jane wasn't the only woman in the band, by all means, but she was probably the most threatening. Had a reputation out of it, too; girl could see in two directions, aim down two sights like some freak of nature. 'Course, if ya called her a freak she'd show you why they called her pistoleer cuz of it.

The Industrial Walker was an old purchase by the gang - genuine purchase, too. Got pretty hard to haul fat loads of gold, silver and whatever else just on horseback or, well, people-back. It wasn't to great in a fight on account to its poor fragile, albeit metal body, but god help the bloke who got kicked under one of its massive hooves. Fellow named Carl controlled - and maintained - the brute, didn't talk much.

Now, Inferno Joe didn't have a token, apparently. Class act, the bloke. He wasn't to different from the usual rabble, 'cept he had a boner for fire. So much so he quickdrawed a fireball spewing flarepistol and threw self-made firebombs. Under the duress of his fellows he learned how to throw 'em plenty far, too.

The rest? Mooks. Gangmates. Brigands. Good shots with their short rifles, while all to experienced in drawing their pistols to get down and dirty up close with someone, too. Of course, with all this chilly weather the lot were dressed more for comfort then eating a bullet.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Stats are up for the samurai squad.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
How many points do we have to build companies? Gonna build to 250 like last time for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
OK, added stats. Now, if I understand walkers correctly, if the walker is destroyed, Otto has a chance to bail out and run away fight on? And the walker uses the pilot's SV/FV/pluck stats to make its rolls? Also, anyone know offhand the point value for medic? I'm assuming its 5, but if I'm wrong let me know so I can adjust things.

• Locked thread