Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The Landstander posted:

Coen Bros movies POWER RANKINGS

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

I didn't see Hail Caesar yet.

Thank you for reading my list

I pretty much agree with this, but I'd exchange The Hudsucker Proxy and Burn After Reading with each other. Also, I'd say Hail Caeser was Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
John YES

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know lots of people like it but No Country stuck it's head up it's rear end and started inhaling it's own farts in the last 30 minutes.

I love out of nowhere deaths and sudden turns as much as the next guy, but I do not love a tense and awesome crime story turning into Tommy Lee Jones babbling on about his dreams trying to be "totally deep, man." It's like they couldn't come up with an ending so slapped that poo poo on there and people found it so pretentious they didn't dare say it sucked.

I literally went from preparing to recommend it to several people to just shaking my head.

Before anyone says that ending was good and had all kind of artistic meaning I'd like to ask a simple question: What is it people remember about this movie? Everything PRIOR to that? Yeah, because you'd be better off fast forewarding to the last 2 minutes after the hotel.

Lol at this post

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Landstander posted:

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

I agree with this completely, excluding the few I haven't seen. I also love a serious man and would elevate it but eh.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i just watched hail caesar its pretty good but it really does feel like they had a bunch of scenes they wanted to shoot and partial story ideas so they just kinda taped the script together around josh brolins character

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hail Caesar was their only movie I haven't liked that much.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

*Coen

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My favorite Coen brothers movie was Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I agree with the OP this movie sucks and I'm a huge fan of Fargo and wjust watched Burn After Reading a few days ago.

When I went to watch Inside Llewellyn Davis I got a text from someone during the credits but thinking like I was going to be polite I ignored it and enjoy the film I just put my phone away. So after sitting through an entirely unpleasant movie it turns out the text was inviting me to join my two of my friends that were getting beers and zza at a pizza place literally next door to the the theater.

Never turn your phone off.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've never liked a corn Bros movie until I've rewatched it, mostly because I had no idea what to make of what I'd seen, so I can understand op's initial reaction to ild. I had a very similar response in fact; I told a buddy later "it's pretty funny that the con brothers are allowed to sell their country bumpkin mixtape as a film and get away with it" but then I watched it again, since I knew that with the cones it's never as simple as what you get the first time, and I loved it

So I guess what I'm saying is, give it another chance applewhite, you might get something new from it on the next go around.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think my ceon bris POWER RANKINGS are a little strange though

Fantastic: A Serious Man, Fargo, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski, The Hudsucker Proxy

Really Good: No Country for Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou?, True Grit

Passable: Burn After Reading, Hail Caesar!

Haven't Seen: Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, The Man Who Wasn't There, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You should be watching Miller's Crossing instead of posting fyi

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

White Phosphorus posted:

I did not like burn after reading.

"what.the.gently caress???"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

It's cool when Brad Pitt gets to be a cool dumb guy. I enjoyed seeing Frances McDormand not being a yokel (she has a bit part in MIllers Crossing as well).

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I thought Hail Caesar was like meh, but I really liked the producer character because typically studio suits are depicted as terrible skeezy dbags but this was a guy who genuinely cared about making movies and furthering the interests of the industry he worked for. It was nice.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

You should be watching Miller's Crossing instead of posting fyi

I have to watch the purple T-Rex because I'm watching cousins kids today. Happy New year's

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

The movie was hard to watch the first time but awesome the second. George Clooney as the paranoid guy who's gonna have a breakdown was perfectly foreshadowed. "Carried a gun for 15 years, never fired it. Are you sure these things don't have shellfish?"

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

The Landstander posted:

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

I agree, but good lord! Please put Blood Simple in Decent to EH. Holy smokes that movie!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

...and the pitch! posted:

It's cool when Brad Pitt gets to be a cool dumb guy. I enjoyed seeing Frances McDormand not being a yokel (she has a bit part in MIllers Crossing as well).

She's a key character in Blood Simple and plays it straight there. I think Blood Simple is one of their best.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Slowpoke posted:

I agree, but good lord! Please put Blood Simple in Decent to EH. Holy smokes that movie!

huh?

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Huh? I agree with their review except for that movie. Blood Simple was decent to eh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I'm not sure you could have done a much worse job of expressing that sentiment.

"That was ok, I didn't mind it but I thought it was allright. HOLY FUCKIN CRAP!!!!!"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

...and the pitch! posted:

(she has a bit part in MIllers Crossing as well).
She's in a lot of Coen Brothers films because she's boning the editor. And the director, sometimes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Landstander posted:

GREAT
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing

GOOD
A Serious Man
Raising Arizona
True Grit
Burn After Reading
Blood Simple

DECENT
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Inside Llewyn Davis

EH
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

A Serious Man is better than O Brother Where Art Thou

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No Country was boring pretentious poo poo and I say that as someone who enjoyed Kagemusha

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Slowpoke posted:

The first act or so is pretty dry, but the slow build to the ending sequence and the buried alive scene won me over.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I agree with this completely, excluding the few I haven't seen. I also love a serious man and would elevate it but eh.
You could be 'right', I should probably rewatch ASM. Caught it when it came out and liked it, but it's the kind of movie where you can probably dig into it more on a second watch.

John Big Booty posted:

She's in a lot of Coen Brothers films because she's boning the editor. And the director, sometimes.
:golfclap:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Frances McDormand is kind of hot in Blood Simple.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Landstander posted:

The first act or so is pretty dry, but the slow build to the ending sequence and the buried alive scene won me over.
You could be 'right', I should probably rewatch ASM. Caught it when it came out and liked it, but it's the kind of movie where you can probably dig into it more on a second watch.
:golfclap:
Being Jewish probably helped. The guy exclaiming "Jesus Christ" as he lifted the heavy torah scroll killed me. Their whole vision of a 60s Jewish community was awesome. The message they seemed to convey was a little simplistic but it suited me okay.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Orkin Mang posted:

burn after reading is one of their best but my friends go crosseyed
john malkovich saying the word "gently caress" is always hilarious regardless of circumstance so i thought this movie was terrific

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
the hudsucker proxy was the most coen bros. coen bros. movie

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
the buttfucker proxy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

the hudsucker proxy was the most coen bros. coen bros. movie

I agree, and I think keeping that in mind makes the movie a lot more watchable

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Intolerable Cruelty isn't one of my top movies or anything but I enjoyed watching it.

Also unrelated to the bros but watch Frank it you want a movie about a musician, it's good stuff.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's the longest music video I've ever seen but the album comes together in the end

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Burn After Reading is really fuckin good

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
fargo is one of the only movies i'll watch and then immediately just want to start it over

it's just SO GOOD and i pick up the accent for days afterwards

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ScrubLeague posted:

Burn After Reading is really fuckin good

i think it's ok in retrospect but i was really disappointed at the time because the commercials hyped it up as a legit spy comedy flick instead of like a suburban black comedy about an ex-company man who thinks he's a superspy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i think it's ok in retrospect but i was really disappointed at the time because the commercials hyped it up as a legit spy comedy flick instead of like a suburban black comedy about an ex-company man who thinks he's a superspy

haha, that's exactly the point. every character thinks they're super important

also, all movie trailers suck but coen movie trailers most of all

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot conceive of anyone not liking "No Country", it's a really good book and an even better movie. "Blood Simple" is also really good.

Watching "Hail Caesar" now, will report. So far I like George Clooney, but that's me for every movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

theflyingexecutive posted:

haha, that's exactly the point. every character thinks they're super important

yeah i know that now after having however long it's been since i first saw it and i think it's good and fun

it's just that in that moment, college the white dragon was like "i didnt pay to see this, what the gently caress"

• Locked thread