Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maldoror posted:

Hot Narakas
[list][*]Sañjīva, the "reviving" Naraka, has ground made of hot iron heated by an immense fire. Beings in this Naraka appear fully grown, already in a state of fear and misery. As soon as the being begins to fear being harmed by others, their fellows appear and attack each other with iron claws and hell guards appear and attack the being with fiery weapons. As soon as the being experiences an unconsciousness like death, they are suddenly restored to full health and the attacks begin again. Other tortures experienced in this Naraka include having molten metal dropped upon them, being sliced into pieces, and suffering from the heat of the iron ground. Life in this Naraka is 1.62×1012 years long. It is said to be 1000 yojanas beneath Jambudvīpa and 10,000 yojanas in each direction (a yojana being 7 miles, or 11 kilometres).

Holy poo poo this hell sounds awesome, non-stop combat and respawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

How good do I have to be to get into Buddhist heaven? Shopping around atm :yum:

Buddhists believe that they are immortal, but they are constantly trying to kill themselves

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

its telling that Indian hell is Viking heaven

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

Rip and tear.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yea but have you ever played laser tag two or three times in a row? After a while it just becomes foggy, laser-lit, techno drudgery. Buddhist Hell works the same way.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This was taken at a theme park near Bangkok that I visited back in 92. It also had a little train you could take through the various versions of hell. To this day I have no idea what my parents where thinking bringing me there but it was awesome as heck.

The reason some of the dogs have coin slots is that you can donate and hasten peoples stay down there.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5915890/spend-a-lovely-day-with-the-kids-at-thailands-hell-torture-theme-park

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
                                              Suck my god drat balls!!
____________________________________/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Which hell gives me the giant balls and how do I get there?!

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
In my own practice, and in my own belief, Zen Buddhism does not adhere to such beliefs. The concept of "hell" is an internalized thing, and we all create our own unique realities. It can be argued that guilt, shame, regret, and self-pity could be realized through a self-constructed "hell," though, and--if that is so--there are already many of those around us that are living in specific hells.

(You know what to do, friends!)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Vitalis Jackson posted:

In my own practice, and in my own belief, Zen Buddhism does not adhere to such beliefs. The concept of "hell" is an internalized thing, and we all create our own unique realities. It can be argued that guilt, shame, regret, and self-pity could be realized through a self-constructed "hell," though, and--if that is so--there are already many of those around us that are living in specific hells.

(You know what to do, friends!)

Love,

Vitalis

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think it is safe to say that we all living in the "Reality TV Hell" -- I'm looking forward to escaping it in a few billion or so rebirths so that I can continue on to 1980s TV Sitcom Bully hell.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Corky Romanovsky posted:

In order to bloom, one must bury one's roots in manure.

i'll bury my root in your manure

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
do any of these hells have internet access

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

do any of these hells have internet access

yeah but the only site you can access is reddit

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

thathonkey posted:

yeah but the only site you can access is reddit

At dial-up speeds.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Reddits layout is already hell on my eyes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

SniperWoreConverse posted:

recall that the endgame for this is non-existence. The point is to destroy your soul so you stop getting born and don't have to deal with this poo poo anymore.

i'm not an expert on this, but from what little i know, cessation of existence was part of earlier buddhism, deriving from hindu and vedic sources.

by the time of the lankavatara sutra, at least, this was explicitly rejected as nihilistic. the goal was to go past the cessation of consciousness to its purification.

apparently, when you become a buddha, you get to fly around with all the other buddhas of the multiverse on lotus flowers having psychedelic disco parties. everyone who becomes a buddha can construct a Pure Land and invite all their friends over for buddha brunch. it's supposed to be really freakin rad.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Do hell guards have Buddha nature?

every being in the universe has buddha nature, including icchantikas, beings who are so deluded they can never achieve enlightenment.

this only appears to be a contradiction because you have dumb earth eyes.

in fact boddhisatvas can and almost certainly do appear as icchantikas, guiding other beings through examples of what not to do.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

every being in the universe has buddha nature, including icchantikas, beings who are so deluded they can never achieve enlightenment.

this only appears to be a contradiction because you have dumb earth eyes.

in fact boddhisatvas can and almost certainly do appear as icchantikas, guiding other beings through examples of what not to do.

Because they too represent the absolute truth, the indivisible oneness

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And non-being defines being. Without one, there would not be the other.

Imagine waking up without ever having gone to sleep.

non being is not what you think it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

apparently, when you become a buddha, you get to fly around with all the other buddhas of the multiverse on lotus flowers having psychedelic disco parties. everyone who becomes a buddha can construct a Pure Land and invite all their friends over for buddha brunch. it's supposed to be really freakin rad.

buddha heaven sounds like Dr Who

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

nomadologique posted:

But but dark matter is now understood as being somewhere!!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Lodin posted:

This was taken at a theme park near Bangkok that I visited back in 92. It also had a little train you could take through the various versions of hell. To this day I have no idea what my parents where thinking bringing me there but it was awesome as heck.

The reason some of the dogs have coin slots is that you can donate and hasten peoples stay down there.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5915890/spend-a-lovely-day-with-the-kids-at-thailands-hell-torture-theme-park

super rad, in the divine comedy dante blackmails a bunch of people in purgatory. your stay in purgatory is shortened if people on earth pray for you, so dante makes a lot of deals: tell me who you are and what your story is, and i'll tell your family you're here so they can pray for you.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

nomadologique posted:

"Let me tell you, a stranger on the internet, that you are thinking wrong. Especially when the context is how language shapes our world, and the subject matter cannot be directly spoken about in the language we are using because the grammatic structure is founded on assumptions contrary to the point. So yeah, your post of a few words proves conclusively that you are not right-thinking."

Alternatively: yeah, non-being isn't what you think it is because non-being has no you to think

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
nice non-meltdown

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

myDad posted:

To deaden your desire for reward via any path

This makes more sense than regular one-and-done Hell, what gives?

Am I a Buddhist?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Corky Romanovsky posted:

"Let me tell you, a stranger on the internet, that you are thinking wrong. Especially when the context is how language shapes our world, and the subject matter cannot be directly spoken about in the language we are using because the grammatic structure is founded on assumptions contrary to the point. So yeah, your post of a few words proves conclusively that you are not right-thinking."

Alternatively: yeah, non-being isn't what you think it is because non-being has no you to think

okay. from what i have read, the relationship between waking and sleeping is not an accurate image of the relationship between being and non being.

it seems from what i've read that the buddha did believe some images to be more instructive than others, and some to be more deceptive than others.

language is of the order of unawareness, which is why images are used -- because they contain less analysis and more intuition.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i also wonder if the strength of your reaction is to the point.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I think Buddhism is really interesting because despite hell being real and existence being hosed, it's about finding the eternal peace in yourself and living to drive others to also find hope and spirit.

The :darksouls: of religion

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

Nothing sex related? You're not fooling anyone, Buddhists.

Men who make their wives swallow have to swallow a river of cum. Seriously, Google Lalabhaksam

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Strategic Tea posted:

The :darksouls: of religion

Actually, the Dark Souls that was basically steeped in Buddhism (2) is widely considered to be the worst Dark Souls.

Oops!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Benny Harvey posted:

Men who make their wives swallow have to swallow a river of cum. Seriously, Google Lalabhaksam

Sounds less like a hell and more like an average Tuesday

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Toadvine posted:

This makes more sense than regular one-and-done Hell, what gives?

Am I a Buddhist?

A lot of religions based on the teachings of the Gautama Buddha sprouted up over the years, and while they may have a bunch of the trappings of more familiar Abrahamic religions their inspiration is truth.

As in the Gautama Buddha preached that all religion is false & truth is the only goal. Atheism as western philosophers have written about in the west shares many parallels with Buddhism. :byobear:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

western philosophy has been trapped in the tetralemma for 2500 years and could desperately use the Buddha's help to break out.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

nomadologique posted:

western philosophy has been trapped in the tetralemma for 2500 years and could desperately use the Buddha's help to break out.

To what?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

hakimashou posted:

What do you have to do to be a hell guard

Be a Paladin and change your alignment to evil.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, the Dark Souls that was basically steeped in Buddhism (2) is widely considered to be the worst Dark Souls.

Oops!

except that's every dark souls, the cycle of ages of fire and dark is samsara so the escape is the bodhisattva vow of the path of the dragon

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Tricky D posted:

Be a Paladin and change your alignment to evil.

this just turns you into a death knight. please stop confusing paladins who want to be hell guards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You cna have evil Paladins. I watched some nerd(Spoony) on youtube explain it.

Anyone else a bit disappointed at how tame hell was in the new DOOM. IDK, I was expecting something a bit more METAL. Was still ok I guess.

• Locked thread