Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait so obviously one of them died first of old age so why didn't the one who didn't die not suspend themselves and get to at least see the new world or whatever because it seems kinda implied that they both just died of natural causes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Teikanmi posted:

Wait so obviously one of them died first of old age so why didn't the one who didn't die not suspend themselves and get to at least see the new world or whatever because it seems kinda implied that they both just died of natural causes

In the sequel we'll find that one of them ate a toxic fruit growing from that tree they planted and died, and the other killed themselves out of grief.

See it's deep 'cause it's like Adam and Eve

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In the sequel we'll find that one of them ate a toxic fruit growing from that tree they planted and died, and the other killed themselves out of grief.

See it's deep 'cause it's like Adam and Eve

This isn't a nolan movie ok

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
WhY would you bring toxic fruit on a spaceship?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Blue Train posted:

Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

And a plan to meet everyone you kill! :eng101:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
not enough holoscreen action for my tastes :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

criscodisco posted:

I like how he's a mechanic but while falling in love with her frozen rear end he reads all her books and it makes him fall in love if he liked reading so much he wouldn't have wound up a mechanic

He's an engineer so it makes perfect sense that he is accustomed to a lot of reading but also doesn't understand women

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

WhY would you bring toxic fruit on a spaceship?

Because they are settlers starting a new colony and sometimes a functional ecosystem involves fruits that are harmful to humans.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the giant rock smashin energy field was cool btw

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Because they are settlers starting a new colony and sometimes a functional ecosystem involves fruits that are harmful to humans.

The planet they're going to doesn't have an eco system?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
This movie made me want to do fake math. Like ok how many people are on this ship? How much booze was put away for the three months at the end of the trip when everyone is supposed to be awake, that it lasted 2 people 50 years or w/e? What is the upshot of them having the lights on and using a bunch of resources for the entirety of two adult lifetimes? The cost in just water would be enormous, not even counting their stupid, ugly tree. Life aboard that ship is a zero sum game, and I wanted to see how theyd hosed everyone else over at the end of the trip. Missed opportunity imo but yeah would have created mixed messages.

Im on the spectrum btw, OBVIOUSLY.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
I thought the class distinction part was dumb, especially because even though space guy was in the lowest class it let him drink as much as he wanted, go out in space as much as he wanted, eat at fancy restaurants, etc. and only stopped him from getting good breakfast and coffee? Dumb IMO.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is a movie justifying rape in longform. It gets you in the head of a raper, that's the entire premise, is to bring you around to sympathy for those who want to own others as sexual property. Oh and it's about MEN go FIGURE.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Pick posted:

This is a movie justifying rape in longform. It gets you in the head of a raper, that's the entire premise, is to bring you around to sympathy for those who want to own others as sexual property. Oh and it's about MEN go FIGURE.

Isn't that what you were basically doing to that wheelchair guy? Grooming him?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
someone link me the wheelchair guy story

was stick the retard masturbator or what?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Isn't that what you were basically doing to that wheelchair guy? Grooming him?

My goal was to teach him self-worth. SELF-worth, so he doesn't have to need anybody, he can bond with other people as an equal and not a needer, and definitely not by necessity a fucker! Get your head out of your dick hole!

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Nut to Butt posted:

someone link me the wheelchair guy story

was stick the retard masturbator or what?

Warning, thread is bad:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808970

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Toadvine posted:

The planet they're going to doesn't have an eco system?

Its definitely earthlike with its own biosphere buuut fun fact: that doesnt necessarily make its lifeforms edible to us. Our digestive and immune systems are evolved to deal with stuff from our planet. Its quite possible that we'd still have to import our own species for eatin' on an otherwise perfectly survivable and plentiful alien world. The only way around it is genetic engineering.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I hope they brought plenty of snakeheads and kudzu

for the ecosystem

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thank you, but oh my goddddd, you weren't kidding

aint nobody got time for that

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
clicked the ? in that thread and whooooa that took a turn

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the ending of the movie should have been Chris Pratt dies saving the ship and Jlaw would be faced with the same choice to wake up someone up for companionship or spend the rest of her life alone and have the movie close with her looking at another capsule.

that does sound good. I hate hollywood.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Why didn't they just drive to a different planet they're in space that's like all it's known for is having planets everywhere

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They'd work harder not finding another planet

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They also could have just swam around in the pool if the ship was bound and determined to blow up the water would protect them from the flames and when it turned into steam they'd have plenty of air to breathe

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing gets good until the last few pages, really, but holy poo poo it gets crazy.

Pick please seek therapy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Your theory would check out perfectly except the girl had the opportunity to refreeze herself at the end and chose not to.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Applewhite posted:

Your theory would check out perfectly except the girl had the opportunity to refreeze herself at the end and chose not to.

Also he didn't hold her down and rape her when she was all weak from coming out of space sleep.

If you're gonna get all championy about rape, Pick, you should figure out there's a big ol distinction between being creepy and raping a girl

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

Also he didn't hold her down and rape her when she was all weak from coming out of space sleep.

If you're gonna get all championy about rape, Pick, you should figure out there's a big ol distinction between being creepy and raping a girl

Yeah there's also that and the fact that he gave her lots of space, first when she was first awakened and then again when she was mad at him. Except for the initial act of trapping her in his situation against her will, he didn't play any manipulative psychological games or use any other form of coercion.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
my friend hates chris pratt because he is christian

what disease does my friend have cuz i'm still trying to figure it out

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

fbsw posted:

my friend hates chris pratt because he is christian

what disease does my friend have cuz i'm still trying to figure it out

Well bearing in mind that I'm not a psychologist or qualified to make mental health evaluations of any kind, I'm going to say it's definitely autism.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Applewhite posted:

Well bearing in mind that I'm not a psychologist or qualified to make mental health evaluations of any kind, I'm going to say it's definitely autism.

okay i'll let him know. when his gf gets mad at me for calling him gay and autistic what should i say?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Well if he were really gay we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we. Maybe he should watch parks and rec and see lovably chubby Chris Pratt. Everyone loves a man who's thick and prone to getting sweaty imo

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

criscodisco posted:

Well if he were really gay we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we. Maybe he should watch parks and rec and see lovably chubby Chris Pratt. Everyone loves a man who's thick and prone to getting sweaty imo

he has seen it and still hates him because god is bad or something idk

fwiw i've only seen chris pratt in that jurassic park movie and he seemed fine :confused:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe your friend has a case of the green eyed monster (jealousy)

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

criscodisco posted:

Maybe your friend has a case of the green eyed monster (jealousy)

his favorite character in game of thrones is theon greyjoy b/c he identifies with him :confused:
plz help my friend

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm not a big believer in lost causes, but

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

fbsw posted:

his favorite character in game of thrones is theon greyjoy b/c he identifies with him :confused:
plz help my friend

I have two questions:

1) Does he like to get busy with his sister?
2) Does he want his dick cut off?

If the answer to either of these two questions is "yes," then I've got bad news for your friend...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Chris Pratt, after finally winning JLaws trust, leans in for a kiss.

"Oh sorry, I'm gay."

Five minutes later Chris Pratt's lifeless body is floating outside the nearest airlock.

• Locked thread