Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

that's like the whole stem field

for math it's only like that for the first 2 years of a degree; after that it's more like there's one canonical book for the subject that everyone knows by heart and teaching from something else is just considered frankly absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
James Stewart lived in a $32 million mansion with walls lined with editions of his calculus textbook where he held midnight drag parties (no joke) and dined on the flesh of those who got in his way.

https://magazine.mercedes-benz.ca/james-stewart/

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

e: I mean, maybe don't be handing it out to every Tom Dick and Harry who asks you but I doubt Springer's roving copy-right death-cops will break down your door because you kept a copy of Riemannian Geometry on your hard drive after graduation.

remember when that guy committed suicide because he was caught copying articles from jstor

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Azerban posted:

remember when that guy committed suicide because he was caught copying articles from jstor

Yea that was a good one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

James Stewart lived in a $32 million mansion with walls lined with editions of his calculus textbook where he held midnight drag parties (no joke) and dined on the flesh of those who got in his way.

Stewart's calc texts are amazing in that they exist perfectly in a space where someone who already knows the subject thinks they are a concise exposition of what a student needs, yet a student trying to use them is bewildered and lost, and as such they make the teachers happy to be asked questions so that they feel useful as the years go by and it becomes more and more apparent that they will never write a proof that anyone else will ever care about.

As such, we do have James Stewart principally to thank for Khan Academy.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Arrhythmia posted:

for math it's only like that for the first 2 years of a degree; after that it's more like there's one canonical book for the subject that everyone knows by heart and teaching from something else is just considered frankly absurd

In engineering the books were honestly p good and there are so many graphs that they're handy to have as reference but even up to senior year some of my classes were still assigning homework problems from them.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

Stewart's calc texts are amazing in that they exist perfectly in a space where someone who already knows the subject thinks they are a concise exposition of what a student needs, yet a student trying to use them is bewildered and lost, and as such they make the teachers happy to be asked questions so that they feel useful as the years go by and it becomes more and more apparent that they will never write a proof that anyone else will ever care about.

As such, we do have James Stewart principally to thank for Khan Academy.

Spivak, written for freshmen Calc 1 by a guy in his mid-20s, that asks you to start bustin' out proofs Chapter 1

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

Spivak, written for freshmen Calc 1 by a guy in his mid-20s, that asks you to start bustin' out proofs Chapter 1

A lot of schools have you doing proofs day one. The idea that calc has to be a purely computational endeavor is something foisted on the poor dorky little math department by the engineering and physics departments, they do it by saying "You want to have friends don't you?" and the math department would like that very much but when the math department leaves the room physics and engineering look at eachother and go "Geez, I know, right?"

Thankfully in most schools the line is held at Linear Algebra so at least the Comp Sci incels get to be put on the rack a bit.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Oh poo poo, I see my calc book in there! Stewart Calculus Early Transcendentals 6e! Yeeeeaaaaa boy! Fuckin' love that book! Sittin' on my desk right now.

Anyone who doesn't love calculus is a fuckin' loon! You can get this very book on Amazon right now for 7 bux and it will be the best money you ever spend!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azerban posted:

hahahaha whooaa no keep talking about this guy

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i am agreeing with everyone in the thread who knows the real crime, even worse than overcharging by 700 percent for textbooks is including a code to make you do homework online on a lovely website that never works properly, can be hacked, cheated on, etc, all solely for the purpose for the publishing companies to force students who previously traded used books to buy a new code for 150 dollars, granting them essentially a dollar worth of access to a one dollar website

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

hahahaha whooaa no keep talking about this guy

the guy downloaded a bunch of articles from Jstor and distributed them on the net as a kind of "information wants to be free" protest. the feds got a hold of him and decided to destroy him. they threw the book at him, and he was looking at life in prison for pirating academic articles. rather than go to federal pound me in the rear end prison forever he decided to kill himself, a fair decision I think

dont copy that floppy!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz#Response_from_JSTOR

quote:

On the night of January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested near the Harvard campus by MIT police and a U.S. Secret Service agent. He was arraigned in Cambridge District Court on two state charges of breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony.[11][12][89][103][104]

On July 11, 2011, Swartz was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of wire fraud, computer fraud, unlawfully obtaining information from a protected computer, and recklessly damaging a protected computer.[13][105]

On November 17, 2011, Swartz was indicted by a Middlesex County Superior Court grand jury on state charges of breaking and entering with intent, grand larceny, and unauthorized access to a computer network.[106][107] On December 16, 2011, state prosecutors filed a notice that they were dropping the two original charges;[12] the charges listed in the November 17, 2011, indictment were dropped on March 8, 2012.[108] According to a spokesperson for the Middlesex County prosecutor, the state charges were dropped to permit a federal prosecution headed by Stephen P. Heymann and supported by evidence provided by Secret Service agent Michael S. Pickett[109] to proceed unimpeded.[108]

On September 12, 2012, federal prosecutors filed a superseding indictment adding nine more felony counts, which increased Swartz's maximum criminal exposure to 50 years of imprisonment and $1 million in fines.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
The weird part about that one is academics are pretty chill about their papers so for the most part if you really want to read something you don't have journal access to you can usually email the authors and they'll give you a pdf.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rutibex posted:

the guy downloaded a bunch of articles from Jstor and distributed them on the net as a kind of "information wants to be free" protest. the feds got a hold of him and decided to destroy him. they threw the book at him, and he was looking at life in prison for pirating academic articles. rather than go to federal pound me in the rear end prison forever he decided to kill himself, a fair decision I think

dont copy that floppy!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz#Response_from_JSTOR

copy right infringement..... the ultimate crime

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

This is loving horseshit I hope Trump gets rid of this wasteful nonsense

It gets even better. 4 of those 5 coworkers were not documented either.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

God drat that mother fucker lives in the Twilight mansion.

At first I was pissed then I was like, "ay yo * I flicked my toothpick away at this point, I am dressed like razor ramone at all times at home and strut around talking poo poo to my wifes lap dogs all the time (I am mentally ill (and fat)) *, I can't bitch about disgusting salaries for professional athletes and then not support my boy that's piss rich off of math."

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A "guy I know" used to DDOS Pearson's bullshit homework site for fun near the end of the semester. I get a hate boner just thinking about the damage he could do with a modern Mirai botnet.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

A "guy I know" used to DDOS Pearson's bullshit homework site for fun near the end of the semester. I get a hate boner just thinking about the damage he could do with a modern Mirai botnet.

Are you saying you ddosed a homework site so other students couldn't do their homework?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone else follow the textbook buying model that I did?

Year #1: $400
Year #2: $0
Year #3: $0
Year #4: $0

Or (unlike me) were you actually smart from the get-go and never spend a cent on them?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Blistex posted:

hell yeah

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
lol you loving idiots still at school

what you gonna do?
robots gonna take your jobs

best bet is to learn how to convert text books into sucking dick cause u better belive some dick sucking is in ur future

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

Are you saying you ddosed a homework site so other students couldn't do their homework?

gotta break the curve bruhh

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I always know my math classes are hard when the book they want you to buy is a $30 MAA or Dover book. Nothing like the Soviet style to really make you learn!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Remember using this one. A nice little book. Kind of expensive for what it is, but then thankfully I don't live in the US or Canada where textbooks are super expensive.

Also I've never done a math course with obligatory homework assignments (some courses had one mid-term hand in assignment, though this was only in the first few courses that still had quite a lot of chem and biology students in them), and loving lol at having to hand them in in digital format. Real math is done with nothing more than a graph paper notebook, a pencil and maybe an eraser if you want to save on paper.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

loving lol at having to hand them in in digital format. Real math is done with nothing more than a graph paper notebook, a pencil and maybe an eraser if you want to save on paper.

if it were done this way the math might have to be graded by a human, sounds expensive to me. we only have the budget to build a lounge with a local rich person name on it, not hire a bunch of people

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

if it were done this way the math might have to be graded by a human, sounds expensive to me. we only have the budget to build a lounge with a local rich person name on it, not hire a bunch of people

It's actually even cheaper to just cut out the grading all together as well as the homework assignments. Most of what I ever did had no real homework assignments, just recommended problems and such to work on, do them or don't, and maybe a seminar run by TAs where you could work on them and get assistance.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dave_Indeed posted:

If so, how come that isn't illegal yet?

a solid gold text book for humanities 100

:capitalism:

Blistex posted:

Or (unlike me) were you actually smart from the get-go and never spend a cent on them?

I bought my first quarter books under the assumption that they weren't completely lying to me about "70%-90% buyback at the end of the quarter" (lol) and then after getting burned once I just pirated all of them after that

I was right before they started having ubiquitous "enter the code on the book to the website to access the assignment" poo poo though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the sheer chutzpah required to assign your own loving textbook that you wrote while stating "make sure you have the latest addition bc I changed some things around so an older version won't help you for the quizzes" and having kids buy them for $200-300 a pop while paying a few grand to attend the class in the first place is just

loving

holy poo poo

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
At my junior college, I was studying philosophy and when I couldn't afford the textbooks I would talk to the teacher and often times they would either lend me their copy (unless it had the answer key of course!) or try to help me find a cheaper copy. They often knew of the differences between the editions so I could purchase an older version and he/she would let me know when my version might differ from the rest of the class.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Also only semi-related but this semester my college added a brand new course to the curriculum and now I have to take it to qualify for my degree even though I'm far past it which is really cool. Even worse than that, it's not even a real class, it's an intermediary course (DMED 130) that bridges 110 and 150, which is not necessary because 110 and 120 teach you everything you learn in this new class

Man it's so cool to have to pay for a class I've already taken to learn about the same subjects I already learned about and do the same homework assignments I did a year ago. so awesome. college loving owns

You're in college now. "Mandatory" classes aren't. I had a bunch of credits swapped around and skipped a ton of first year stuff and jumped right into the second and third year things and started going into grad level stuff by the end.

Blistex posted:

I quickly realized the "mandatory" books never were either. We never used them. Especially computer science books. So I mostly stopped buying the books.

For one course though, the professor wanted us to read some stupid books I didn't buy. We were supposed to discuss it in class and I was in a mild panic because I didn't own it. He comes to me and asks where my copy is and I say I found a digital version, so he asks me to pull out my laptop and bring it up but walks away after telling me to do this. I did so and opened some random pdf and spent the rest of the class hoping he never actually look at my screen.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

lol you loving idiots still at school

what you gonna do?
robots gonna take your jobs

best bet is to learn how to convert text books into sucking dick cause u better belive some dick sucking is in ur future

For one of my courses here, my assignment was to automate some task. The professor had gone to the factory requesting the thing and at some point even met the guy currently doing the task. When I said lol, that guy is going to lose his job, the professor reassured me he was "going to do something more interesting instead."

After getting royally screwed over by American undergrad I decided to do my masters in Germany. If I'm going to make a dumb mistake, it should at least be free. I've spent $0 on books, and in fact the only money I've spent on school is only like 250 euros per semester on "administrative fees", which is mostly just for my super transportation pass. (And even this super low amount is still enough to make people protest here)

Bernie would have won.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

A lot of schools have you doing proofs day one. The idea that calc has to be a purely computational endeavor is something foisted on the poor dorky little math department by the engineering and physics departments, they do it by saying "You want to have friends don't you?" and the math department would like that very much but when the math department leaves the room physics and engineering look at eachother and go "Geez, I know, right?"

Thankfully in most schools the line is held at Linear Algebra so at least the Comp Sci incels get to be put on the rack a bit.

This is what I don't get though, how do you learn HOW to write a proof? Spivak assumes that anyone with a high school education should be able to bust em loose based on simple logic, and then you get whole programs that graduate math majors who don't have a firm handle on the concept.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

the sheer chutzpah required to assign your own loving textbook that you wrote while stating "make sure you have the latest addition bc I changed some things around so an older version won't help you for the quizzes" and having kids buy them for $200-300 a pop while paying a few grand to attend the class in the first place is just

loving

holy poo poo

Does that really happen? The only teachers I had that actually used their own books pretty much had the cheapest books around. I had a techwriting one where the prof talked about how difficult it was to get the book as cheap as he did (it was like 30 bucks or something, ring bound, meh paper, and b/w), apparently the publishers you go through for academic books do everything they can to drive up the price.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Does that really happen? The only teachers I had that actually used their own books pretty much had the cheapest books around. I had a techwriting one where the prof talked about how difficult it was to get the book as cheap as he did (it was like 30 bucks or something, ring bound, meh paper, and b/w), apparently the publishers you go through for academic books do everything they can to drive up the price.

I got to beta test a textbook once, it was a "record-breaking" Hittite class with EIGHT WHOLE STUDENTS and we got to try out printouts of a textbook in progress.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Thinking back I wonder if the lovely pubs everyone hates itt have some sort of deal with unis like the racket that is graduation supplies. I grew up in washington where we had the fortune of an early start program where you could do 2 years of cc for your last 2 years of high school and now that i think about it the cc professors mostly used previous editions of the books so you could pick em up online for dirt cheap. It wasn't till I went to a real uni that I first ran into "you have to have the latest chemistry textbook with this dumb code for online learning" (which was double pointless cause the prof had weekly quizes and they were lab classes anyways, so there was plenty of graded content even without the online system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

it happens and it happened to me :argh:

Everything varies ofc that wasn't the norm; I also had a prof who straight said "don't buy the book you won't need it and if you do it's in the library and you can photocopy the like 2-3 relevant pages in it"

• Locked thread