Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Buccaneer posted:

Rhodesian erasure in Gbs, color me surprised

cant erase these shorts :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

op, are you tramadol junkie

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
It didn't just stop. There's surely people still alive today that had to use separate bathrooms, go to different schools, not be allowed service in the same restaurants, and got hit with fire hoses and had dogs sicced on them when they dared to protest. They were hanged and dragged behind trucks in our grandparents time and still shot by our own law enforcement with little to no repercussions to this day. Hope that helps op. That's my serious post in GBS for the year.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
There were slaves of every color in America back then (and all around the world since it was a system that had been used forever) more white slaves than black slaves too. And the treatment of the black slaves in the USA was a thousand times better than what slaves experienced in South America or the Caribbean Islands. The current standard of living for an African American is far far higher than anything our "people" back in Africa or even other previous slave nations could ever dream of. Yeah we get unfairly treated a lot and that is bad but hey guess what, life isn't fair and there is always someone getting the raw end of the deal.

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 4, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Edit: :doh:

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 4, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Really hope you're trolling the troll

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You don't see the Jews constantly bringing up WW2

They certainly dont spend millions of bucks hunting down 98year old men in south america that might or might not have shot a single jew 75 years ago.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Luxury Communism posted:

Slavery was the real holocaust. The Black Hebrews have more information on this compelling topic here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlbLgl5WDs

this is very sad

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

To be fair the flint water crisis would have seen some people go to prison for poisoning another's property but we live in gentler times now

It's OK if you poison poor people. What are they going to do about it?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Don't do a racism

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't know if OP is trolling or not but it baffles me when Americans assume that the rest of the world automatically knows every nuance if their frankly very complicated race relations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You don't see the Jews constantly bringing up WW2

loving lmao at this.

Growing up Jewish I got told about WW2 and the Holocaust all the loving time. So yeah, we are constantly bringing it up.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Sekenr posted:

I don't know if OP is trolling or not but it baffles me when Americans assume that the rest of the world automatically knows every nuance if their frankly very complicated race relations.

Slavery = bad also colonialism (big part of slavery and unless you're from like. Antarctica. You were affected by this) = bad. These being bad are apparently now concepts that only Americans know about

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Lol at everyone who thinks people need a historical reason to hate each other

Like everyone would just get on if our ancestors weren't dicks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Because the effects of it are still felt in our culture.

Indeed.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
someone expended effort and part of their finite time on Earth to make that post. Lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WampaLord posted:

loving lmao at this.

Growing up Jewish I got told about WW2 and the Holocaust all the loving time. So yeah, we are constantly bringing it up.

Remember that time #JewLivesMatter got trending on Twitter and then became a nation-wide thing?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

Slavery = bad also colonialism (big part of slavery and unless you're from like. Antarctica. You were affected by this) = bad. These being bad are apparently now concepts that only Americans know about

Sure, the basics are clear but sometimes it feels weird when in a movie someone bursts into a speech about slavery like it was just yesterday, besides there is an entire cultural layer that you take for granted but is murky to say the least to people from other backgrounds. Like commenting about black person's hair - well, I get this one I guess. But there is also some thing about swimming I think? :shrug: Whole bunch of stuff noone can realistically be expected to know. And also there are other races and whatnot.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What about black people hair

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As a slav I demand reparations from the mongols. The effects of their invasion of Russia are still felt until this day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Remember that time #JewLivesMatter got trending on Twitter and then became a nation-wide thing?

I'm sure there's been a million various pro-Israel hashtags over the years. It all stems from the same well.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Blacks love slavery, it's still popular in Africa. Those diamonds aren't going to mine themselves!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Are brown people sensitive about their hair? I've never noticed this

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm just gonna be mad at everyone since pretty much every race, society, and culture ran a slave trade at some point.

Even the computers, what with their Master/Slave hard-drive setups.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I'm sure there's been a million various pro-Israel hashtags over the years. It all stems from the same well.

There were so many of them and they gained so much traction that I can definitely name a non-zero amount of them off the top of my head.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So brave

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There was 1.7 million white Christian slaves in North Africa from 1650 - 1850. The first white man to lay eyes on Timbuktu since Roman era was a slave, not an explorer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snatch Duster posted:

There was 1.7 million white Christian slaves in North Africa from 1650 - 1850. The first white man to lay eyes on Timbuktu since Roman era was a slave, not an explorer.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Modern activists will solve the troubled legacy of slavery by providing retroactive justification for it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

There were so many of them and they gained so much traction that I can definitely name a non-zero amount of them off the top of my head.

You seem really mad that a Twitter hash tag happened.

What's bad about Black Lives Matter? :allears:

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Holy moley did sjw's just culturally appropriate segregation?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Snatch Duster posted:

i didnt know berbers were black

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

i didnt know berbers were black

?????

dk2m
May 6, 2009
slavery ends

in some places in the south, slaves outnumber freedmen

to counter the sudden influx of new labor, the south enacts slavery-lite by terrorizing blacks

industrial revolution reaches the gilded age

blacks say gently caress this and move north

to counter the sudden influx of new labor, the north enacts slavery-lite by economically shutting out blacks and segregating them in certain areas

ww2 happens

more blacks say gently caress this and move north

some blacks die for the US, others fight for the war effort

whites come back, get a GI bill, able to buy houses. blacks get red-lined and are forced in rental properties close to cities. economic lines of segregation etched deeper and deeper. wealth over generations is almost non-existent.

if you were born when slavery ended, you'd be about 80 years old at this point.

after the civil rights movement, you can't be arbitrarily turned away from housing, education, jobs, marriage, etc. but that still places you at a huge economic disadvantage because your family has no real wealth to speak of. that means no credit, no history, little education. and now you're thrown into a system with little safety nets and expected to take on huge amounts of debt (with no real collateral to speak of) in order to be successful.

we're essentially 2 long lives away from slavery so i hope that answers your question op.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
no wait

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WampaLord posted:

You seem really mad that a Twitter hash tag happened.

What's bad about Black Lives Matter? :allears:

"Jews talk about WWII all the time."
"Not really."
"Why do you hate black people?!"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Black people will never be as whiny as cops. loving pigs. WORLD IS A gently caress 63627373 DEAD COPS

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

loving lmao at this.

jew are still going on about being slaves in Egypt. its pretty fair to assume the holocaust will never be forgotten by them, and likely will be remembered on some holy day (if it isnt already). jews don't forget anything

Thin Privilege posted:

colonialism is actually good if you don't like slavery. the british empire banned slavery in africa and enforced that ban

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
You know who was oppressed? The dead species of men, and the majority of humans who did not survive evolutionary bottle necks. You don't hear about them do you, gently caress-rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

jew are still going on about being slaves in Egypt. its pretty fair to assume the holocaust will never be forgotten by them, and likely will be remembered on some holy day (if it isnt already). jews don't forget anything

What i want to know is whether the origin of the word jewellery is related to jews? Is it kind of like a portmanteau of jew and livery, implying that gold and gems are the uniform of jews? we may never know for sure but i'm going to act like its true and spread it around with little regard for the consequences.

• Locked thread