Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

I'm working to change that.

It's not going to work.

Not because people from the US wouldn't want people from Mexico and Canada to call themselves Americans. But because people from Canada and Mexico wouldn't want to call themselves that. Continental pride isn't a thing, but national pride very much is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's not going to work.

Not because people from the US wouldn't want people from Mexico and Canada to call themselves Americans. But because people from Canada and Mexico wouldn't want to call themselves that. Continental pride isn't a thing, but national pride very much is.

Nah, he's gonna change it. Just you wait and see.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

basic hitler posted:

You've got it hosed up, the UK is going to become irrelevant out of this. Scotland is gonna leave, and probably Northern Ireland too. england and wales, powerhouses they are, will probably end up as US states before the 22nd century

And in an act of revenge and reverse colonialism we refuse to allow them to join unless they call their states New America and New Virginia.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

...and the pitch! posted:

I'm working to change that.

Why do you care, it's just a convenient demonym, it doesn't actually matter

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Why do you care, it's just a convenient demonym, it doesn't actually matter

My hemisphere is the best hemisphere.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NihilismNow posted:

Europe: The super power that is unable to keep one of its provinces from declining to third world lviing standards, unable to secure its borders. unable to provide adequate response to a hostile country with 1/4 the population and 1/10th the GDP.
But they sure made sure we can't buy vacuum cleaners anymore and netflix needs to show more European crap.

Britain made the right choice. They might not make it on their own either, but Europe is doomed.

for all the same reasons, Texas should for-real secede from America then the US can get on with its wall building

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
America isn't a country, it is a continent. Two continents actually.

Canadians and Mexicans are just as American as all the self important yank cunts from the Contiguous United States who call themselves American. Suck my rear end bitch

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Vehicles? I thought they had pretty lovely cars. Jaguar, Mini... what else?

Ariel
Lotus

That's only two but they own.

Minis are made by BMW now. Jaguar are now Chinese.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rozzbot posted:

America isn't a country, it is a continent. Two continents actually.

A super continent if you will.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
bollocks to brexit

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

bollocks to brexit

Is there a chance of no brexit?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Dicky B posted:

its all very complicated you see *waves hands vaguely* too complicated to explain. racism!!
The EU is a huge geo political trading block, on its own its nearly as big as the US and China. It has trading deals with all the other big blocks.

These apply to every member state. Furthermore in the interior of the EU all the member states have agreed to have no tariffs on movement of goods cos it really makes life easy seeing as we are all right next to each other.

Also, we have all agreed to a common level of regulations and standards on things. So if im building a machine 'Supertron' in the UK, and I need to import component #486 from France to build it, I know that component #486 conforms to the standards required to complete 'Supertron' and it can come in with no hassle.

Both of these very useful things go away if the UK leaves the EU, probably leading to economic disaster.

The political argument to leave (which won in a referendum by a tiny margin) has been similar to the same populist raciest nonsense spouted by the republican trump campaign in the US presidential election.

Its just illogical and will be bad and everyone knows it will be but somehow we have to do it anyway because, and you can look up that stats if you like, mainly old/uneducated/raciest people voted to leave and its the will of the people, democracy and all that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dolan tramp is very racy, yes :wink:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

The EU is a huge geo political trading block, on its own its nearly as big as the US and China. It has trading deals with all the other big blocks.

These apply to every member state. Furthermore in the interior of the EU all the member states have agreed to have no tariffs on movement of goods cos it really makes life easy seeing as we are all right next to each other.

Also, we have all agreed to a common level of regulations and standards on things. So if im building a machine 'Supertron' in the UK, and I need to import component #486 from France to build it, I know that component #486 conforms to the standards required to complete 'Supertron' and it can come in with no hassle.

Both of these very useful things go away if the UK leaves the EU, probably leading to economic disaster.
sorry i still dont understand where the disaster comes in because these things called computers and databases exist which can be used to store and retrieve information. i agree it sounds like a complicated problem but there are lots of complicated problems which we have developed systems for and solved and you haven't explained what makes this one so especially complicated and for some reason trying to get a straight answer just makes people peter off and start talking about racism instead. it's ok to just admit you don't know

and this grim frothing at the mouth for national disaster because THAT'LL show those pesky old racists!!! reminds me of the people who admit to voting for donald trump just because they knew it would make liberals cry

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Dicky B posted:

sorry i still dont understand where the disaster comes in because these things called computers and databases exist which can be used to store and retrieve information. i agree it sounds like a complicated problem but there are lots of complicated problems which we have developed systems for and solved and you haven't explained what makes this one so especially complicated and for some reason trying to get a straight answer just makes people peter off and start talking about racism instead. it's ok to just admit you don't know

and this grim frothing at the mouth for national disaster because THAT'LL show those pesky old racists!!! reminds me of the people who admit to voting for donald trump just because they knew it would make liberals cry
I accept your point that it should be possible but consider this scenario.

I am building 'Supertron' in the UK. 'Supertron' requires parts that are assembled in France. Components of the parts built in France come from China via train.

The EU block as a whole has an agreement on borders and tariffs with China.

So now, if the UK is no longer part of that block trade agreement with China, it has to use its as yet undefined border, tariff and regulation arrangements with France to get the parts required for 'Supertron' in to build it. Currently this isn't a problem.

So basically I agree that it should be possible, but in reality it will be loads of hassle to sort out.

Go ask the guys the in the UKMT in d&d for a better explanation if you like, they are quite friendly and there are some actual proper economists who can better explain things. :)

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dicky B posted:

Hurr but the computer

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

I am building 'Supertron' in the UK. 'Supertron' requires parts that are assembled in France. Components of the parts built in France come from China via train.

So now, if the UK is no longer part of that block trade agreement with China, it has to use its as yet undefined border, tariff and regulation arrangements with France to get the parts required for 'Supertron' in to build it. Currently this isn't a problem.

So basically I agree that it should be possible, but in reality it will be loads of hassle to sort out.

Go ask the guys the in the UKMT in d&d for a better explanation if you like, they are quite friendly and there are some actual proper economists who can better explain things. :)
okay thanks for trying i appreciate it and sorry if my posts were a bit dickish ;)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

Hurr but the computer

hurrrrrrr

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

Wouldn't it be more of a problem if i wanted to export parts for le supretronne to France? The UK as a true independent and sovereign nation will be able to declare they won't charge tarrifs on supertron parts or anything if they so desire. Or have the parts built in the UK boosting the UK economy and bringing back jobs in the process.
For regulations you can just deregulate everything. Industry will self regulate.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I have no idea why Americans have such a hard on for hating the EU because the EU is first and foremost a platform for business to effortlessly access an entire continent. The free movement of labour benefits business just as much as it benefits workers and stringent workers rights are a no brainer if you want a happy and productive work force.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Mr.Tophat posted:

It's a classic story of people who call themselves 'English' having bigotry and classist views towards Scotland.

Classic example of this one can see is when a Scotsman is successful at something worthy of praise, they are called British, but when they fail, they are called Scottish.

Guess you are Scottish then :xd:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Wouldn't it be more of a problem if i wanted to export parts for le supretronne to France? The UK as a true independent and sovereign nation will be able to declare they won't charge tarrifs on supertron parts or anything if they so desire. Or have the parts built in the UK boosting the UK economy and bringing back jobs in the process.
For regulations you can just deregulate everything. Industry will self regulate.
We don't want to deregulate everything, the regulations are there for reasons that have been thoroughly thought out, discussed on and agreed on between the 20 odd nations on for good reasons. Some may not be perfect of course, no big system is, but speaking as a UK national id rather it was a multi-nation system we were part of than the current bunch of bastards who run the country who will happily have the children back down the coal mines if it will turn a buc!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Reading this thread made me remember to finally look up what a nonce is. Thanks, I guess.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

Qvark posted:

Guess you are Scottish then :xd:

This is actually a really good way to judge how Andy Murray is doing at any given time.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

twoday posted:

Reading this thread made me remember to finally look up what a nonce is. Thanks, I guess.

yeah and if you wanna see a nonce, take a look in the mirror...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

plain blue jacket posted:

I have no idea why Americans have such a hard on for hating the EU because the EU is first and foremost a platform for business to effortlessly access an entire continent. The free movement of labour benefits business just as much as it benefits workers and stringent workers rights are a no brainer if you want a happy and productive work force.

which is cooler, limp-wristed Eurofags in speedos vacationing in Prague and tootling around in teeny French cars under the watchful eyes of some bureaucracy everyone hates, or grizzled Old Evropan warriors screaming through the trenches firing mustard gas and murdering each other with shovels for the glory of their godlike leader?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My favourite part of Brexit was that in the run up to the referendum all the Leave voters were shrieking "it's not because we're racist, it's because we want our parliament to be sovereign, not the EU parliament".

Then, a few weeks after the referendum, the supreme court ruled that the Prime minster cannot pass law without parliamentary approval, because parliament is sovereign, and all the Leave voters started shrieking about how all judges are traitors and should be executed for treason for daring to say that our parliament is sovereign.

Basically what I'm saying is my country is full of retarded racist failures that continually self-own.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Quote-Unquote posted:

Basically what I'm saying is my country is full of retarded racist failures that continually self-own.

I don't even count it as my country anymore. It's somewhere I had the bad luck to be born in.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

twoday posted:

https://youtu.be/piE-VEubGr4

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

which is cooler, limp-wristed Eurofags in speedos vacationing in Prague and tootling around in teeny French cars under the watchful eyes of some bureaucracy everyone hates, or grizzled Old Evropan warriors screaming through the trenches firing mustard gas and murdering each other with shovels for the glory of their godlike leader?

The hatred of Brussels bureaucrats is a U.K. invention for the most part. The European Parliament is elected by Europe and the Commission has a member for each member state selected by that member states government.

No one was more shocked by the vote to leave than the U.K. the implosion of the Tories after the results was amazing, leaving May the winner sort of by default since everyone else had stabbed the other n the back.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Some victory that turned out to be.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Xenocides posted:

And in an act of revenge and reverse colonialism we refuse to allow them to join unless they call their states New America and New Virginia.

I'm gonna vote for newamericexit.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't even count it as my country anymore. It's somewhere I had the bad luck to be born in.

lol good grief

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Quote-Unquote posted:

My favourite part of Brexit was that in the run up to the referendum all the Leave voters were shrieking "it's not because we're racist, it's because we want our parliament to be sovereign, not the EU parliament".

Then, a few weeks after the referendum, the supreme court ruled that the Prime minster cannot pass law without parliamentary approval, because parliament is sovereign, and all the Leave voters started shrieking about how all judges are traitors and should be executed for treason for daring to say that our parliament is sovereign.

that was lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also lol at 'the overwhelming verdict of the british public'. 52% of the 72% who bothered to vote sure is overwhelming.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Did they decide what to do with EU immigrants yet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FisheyStix posted:

Eugh, ugh, no, welshmen?? Here, in my america?? My great grandpa left wales to get away from those guys!!

I've already infiltrated. Sorry to you and yours.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
There are left wingers who dislike the EU too, such as the leader of the Labour party himself.
The EU is very explicitly pro corporate and pro austerity, and for left wingers who want to do stuff like take railways and water back under public ownership, they may be anti eu because the EU specifically does not allow you to de-privatize things once the conservatives sell them off.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've already infiltrated. Sorry to you and yours.

If there's one thing a Welshman hates more than a englishman, it's another Welshman!! *rolls up sleeves*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
We need Vera Lynn to sing a song about Brexit. She's still alive, there is still time.
Failing that re-use "There'll always be a England".

• Locked thread