Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
desert rednecks start worshiping the chief deity of the caananite pantheon after one of their brethren returns from his sunny vacation to canaan. abraham, realizing that his desert dummy brothers don’t have the mental capacity to handle more than one deity, decides to introduce them to only one the gods out of the caananite pantheon but it’s the best one so he knows they’ll dig it. being that they were dummy dirt farmers in a land bereft of proper dirt, they rejoice in the knowledge that there is an angry daddy in the sky to harshly guide their retard lives and lead them out of the sand and to proper dirt so they can again fill their idiot bellies with mud pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Why do people keep trying to say the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil instilled something other than knowledge of good and evil? It's right there in the name, people. It ain't the Tree of Knowledge of Animal Husbandry.
well okay, but what are the consequences of eating the fruit? it's not just expulsion. women now feel pain during childbirth, feel desire, and are ruled by men. men must now know sorrow, they must toil in the field for sustenance (as opposed to plucking it effortlessly from abundance), and are doomed to die.

so with all that in mind what is good and what is evil? it's not obedience/disobedience: remember that it was an act of disobedience which caused him to eat, so it was known a priori. why is knowledge of g&e synonymous with mortality? why does it bring awareness of a&e's nudity? and what kind of state is ignorance?

Rutibex posted:

yeah its more a story about achieving sentience and moral agency, which is a lot earlier than agriculture. basically going from ape-men to real humans
sure, i agree with you, but why is this process conceived of as falling rather than flourishing?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Soup du Journey posted:

sure, i agree with you, but why is this process conceived of as falling rather than flourishing?

you can't sin unless you have moral agency. once humans got it the first thing they did was gently caress up and lie to God

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Some real fuckin supreme edgelords/sky-high rastas itt. All that entropy bullshit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the "apple" of the tree of life was actually a psychoactive mushroom that our ape-men ancestors ate. its effect on our brain chemistry allowed us to conceive of the concept of the self and forced us to achieve sentience

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Soup du Journey posted:

so with all that in mind what is good and what is evil? it's not obedience/disobedience: remember that it was an act of disobedience which caused him to eat, so it was known a priori.

No, it wasn't known a priori. At the time the Bible was written there was not a sophisticated understanding between the differences of morality and ethics, they were one and the same. Thus, knowledge of good and evil for the story are synonymous with right and wrong, obedience and disobedience.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 1, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it was i was there

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was double there and thus I'm double right, loser.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
two wrongs dont make a right, but two rights make a wrong, so ur absolutely incorrect.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Three lefts make a right. Checkmate.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Pick posted:

same guy

If you look into it, the OT guy is a lot angrier than the NT guy and says a lot of different stuff.

What do you think in regards to different epithets for the OT god, especially Yahweh, El and Elohim — the last of which is actually a plural rather than singular — especially when looking into the archeological evidence at Ugarit?

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Rutibex posted:

genesis 32:22-32 proves that God is not omnipotent. he in fact has a very low power level and loses to a normal guy in a wrestling match. by this logic i assume that it would be easy to kill God with a gun or even an arrow

And thus spoke the LORD: "Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing."

I always pictured god like in the book of Job being a big dumb idiot who is easily led around by other celestial beings.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Three lefts make a right. Checkmate.

only if theyre 90 degrees. unfortunately ur obtuse!!!

KillerJunglist posted:

And thus spoke the LORD: "Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing."

I always pictured god like in the book of Job being a big dumb idiot who is easily led around by other celestial beings.
think of him more like a king holding court. satan is the adversary of mankind, not god. he's like the prosecutor, petitioning the judge to give the defendant a harsh sentence

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 1, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Soup du Journey posted:

think of him more like a king holding court. satan is the adversary of mankind, not god. he's like the prosecutor, petitioning the judge to give the defendant a harsh sentence

Except any prosecutor and judge that did what they did would be violently murdered with farm implements. Hoes and simple polearms such that were used for the harvest of grains.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

this will blow your loving miiiind but I'm a practicing catholic and i go to church FOR REALS and so I think it is mostly allegory still applicable to modern times

How do you explain original sin?
Omnipresent god somehow leaves his creations alone where they eat his special fruit he told them not to.

My bible inspiration comes from 2 Samuel 16:22. So they pitched a tent for Absalom on the roof, and he slept with his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The Gospel of Mark is actually an elaborate jewish joke. Every time Jesus heals somebody or exorcises a demon, he tells the people he cured that they can't tell anyone about it, yet they always do just that. At the very end, when the women encounter an angel in the empty tomb, the angels tells them that Jesus has risen and they should go and tell the disciples. So finally, they aren't supposed to keep quiet about the miracles. What do they do?

"Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid"

The punchline is apparently where the oldest manuscripts of the gospel end. Unfortunately, I guess most people didn't get it so they added an ending where Jesus appears to the apostles and Mary Magdalene.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
So Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead and then... What? Lazarus is still around and is selling Subarus outside Hoboken? This is the mother of all zombie stories?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jesus was a black gay communist

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if i were jesus i'd be smoking weed and playing video games right about now

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Lucifer doesn't rule over anything/isnt actively out to destroy humanity, and Hell is a prison of our own construction out of the desire for retribution on others/ourselves and humanity's self-loathing.

Kinda like the movie Jacobs Ladder, we make our own hell after death as a wonky coping mechanism for the rueful poo poo we did in life, and it only lasts as long as we let it last.

Also Samson was juicin' hard, and winners don't use drugs.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like the theory that the story of Cain the farmer killing Abel the shepherd is an allegory for ancient agricultural tribes wiping out nomadic pastoral tribes.

I like the Vampire book of nod version of the story.

One day god said unto the brothers, "Sacrifice unto me the first part of all that you have."

So Abel gathered the strongest and sweetest among the young of his animals and tossed em on the fire. And Cain took the most tender shoots and sweetest fruits and tossed em on.

And Abel got props while Cain got a harsh word and a bitch slap, his sacrifice considered unworthy.

So Cain thought about it, and at length he realized his error.

Eventually once again god called down that the time for sacrifice was at hand.

And once again abel brought the youngest, sweetest, and most beloved of his animals.

But Cain did not bring his pimpest plants, knowing that the almighty did not want them.

And Abel said, "Cain, you did not bring your youngest and sweetest, the first part of all your joy, to sacrifice on the altar to the one above."

Then Cain cried tears of love while he sacrificed that which was the first part of his joy upon the altar. :black101: his brother.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
https://youtu.be/zhEUWobdXqY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_end posted:

I don't have to. God decided it works that way. sucks to be us. god doesn't answer to us. That's also the point of the story of Job, is that God decides and if you try to ascribe your own meaning to it or demand meaning from it, you are not guaranteed to be satisfied by what you find there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

god doesn't answer to us.

:wrong:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The_end posted:

This isn't Augustine's thinking, but I've thought of original sin and the karmic knot as trying to explain a similar concept: that actions today are the consequences of actions yesterday, whether we can tell or not. One is a linear model and the other is infinite with no beginning or end. But they each have an overlapping message: wrongdoing begets wrongdoing. It's not a mindblowing, esoteric interpretation, but it's important to morality, east or west.

Pick posted:

I don't have to. God decided it works that way. sucks to be us. god doesn't answer to us. That's also the point of the story of Job, is that God decides and if you try to ascribe your own meaning to it or demand meaning from it, you are not guaranteed to be satisfied by what you find there.

Sister, your faith can grow beyond this. God answers our prayers. Knock on the narrow door, and you will receive the reception of ultimate satisfaction.

People in the old testament understood that the world was not as it should be or will be. That's why they've awaited a messiah, to put an end to the Enemy's rebellion, legitimize the rule of God, and usher in the World to Come. We're living in the period of the counterfactual claim that if God does not rule, people will be fiiiiine. But within the story, this is actually a very brief period that just feels long because it'll likely last the rest of your life.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 2, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The wandering jew is basically WoD Caine without the vampire stuff. It's a neat story, except for the part where it was used in a bunch of anti-semitic propaganda.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 2, 2017

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Lucifer actually is Satan.

He's just not the original old-Testatment Satan. That was a different guy, Samael or something. But then Lucifer stole his job. Samael was a goddamn bootlicker who thought his role as The Adsversary was just part of the all-important God's Plan, but Lucifer isn't like that and wants to shake up the system.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jospeh getting cucked by the 3 wise men who spitroat Mary every night.

Also they called Jesus "the king of the jews" because he was born circumsized.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pick posted:

I don't have to. God decided it works that way. sucks to be us. god doesn't answer to us.

that's the goddamn Adversary lying and you know it

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Black August posted:

that's the goddamn Adversary lying and you know it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

a bone to pick posted:

Jospeh getting cucked by the 3 wise men who spitroat Mary every night.

Also they called Jesus "the king of the jews" because he was born circumsized.

it's called aposthia and it's moses, jacob and king david you're thinking of :rolleye:

also the prophet muhammed peace be upon him

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Soup du Journey posted:

well okay, but what are the consequences of eating the fruit? it's not just expulsion. women now feel pain during childbirth, feel desire, and are ruled by men. men must now know sorrow, they must toil in the field for sustenance (as opposed to plucking it effortlessly from abundance), and are doomed to die.

so with all that in mind what is good and what is evil? it's not obedience/disobedience: remember that it was an act of disobedience which caused him to eat, so it was known a priori. why is knowledge of g&e synonymous with mortality? why does it bring awareness of a&e's nudity? and what kind of state is ignorance?

Genesis has some weird passages, and the word choice raises all kinds of questions about what was really happening.

Genesis 3:22 posted:

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

There is a gnostic book, apocryphon of john I think, that claims man was more or less constructed on his order by angels, and was residing... wherever Yahweh is, and when they disobeyed, he became afraid of what he had made, and he banished them to earth. This is where sophia begins to intervene frequently as yahweh alternates between wishing to destroy his mistake and control it, and only the higher creatures like sophia see any merit or redemptive value in mankind, or any of the mistakes of yahweh.

But that's like, straight up heresy, and you're asking questions people have been asking a really long time and never come up with satisfying answers for.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
god has a super tiny penis which is why he doesn't like to see everyone else's goods

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I like the theory that the bible stories don't contain any character's inner mental life because humans at that time didn't actually have a subjective experience of thoughts being "theirs" and therefore interpreted all discursive thinking as communication from some external entity, ie. God. As humans integrated discursive thoughts into the model of their own inner lives they lost the sense that they communicated with God and the weird pretend-religions we all know and love were born.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

That Robot posted:

How do you reconcile the old testament god with the new testament god?

The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are really two different gods. The Hebrew Old Testament God is a god of war and blood. There is not a moment in the Old Testament where He is not shedding blood or demanding blood be shed in some way. This correlates with the history of the Hebrews. They were a mercenary warrior people. They were the ones you hired when you wanted to ruin someones day.

Fast fowards a couple centuries and the known world is seeing a stability ig has never seen before with the dominion of the Roman Empire. Religion often mirrors the timeperiod in which it is born. So naturally with less war and blood the New Testament God was more positive. A god of love and peace.

The correlation between culture and religion is incredibly fascinating imo

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Get ready for some Rasta-Hebrew entropy word-salad. Or skip it; neither you nor I will miss anything important. :420: :catholic: :420:

chaosbreather posted:

Yo, entropy is not complexity, but rather increasing entropy throws a parabolic arc of complexity.

You start off low entropy where there’s so much energy you can’t make anything, then as entropy increases you get structures, low level complexity at first then higher and higher, until you hit the turning point. At this point the complexity of structure is too expensive for the energy level and the structures start collapsing, getting more and more entropic until everything is simple again because there is no free energy to build anything anymore.

I understand that entropy and complexity are not the same. I think this graph illustrates your point:

I have no problem with the notion that rising entropy increased complexity in the cosmos so that on Earth, life could develop and eventually create conscious beings. I also accept the second law of thermodynamics. But I am challenging the notion that increasing entropy means that complexity will be parabolic, with a peak and a permanent trough. I'm not a theorhetical physicist, so I'm not credentialed to make this hypothesis credible. But perhaps NYU physics professor Dr. Avi Rabinowitz can:

quote:

It is also possible that just as the emergence of consciousness is associated with the evolution of complex structures such as human brains, the aggregate of consciousness in the universe after an intergalactic civilization is established would reach a quantitative threshold level of complexity which would give rise to a qualitatively new phenomena, the emergence of a new level of being. Perhaps just as free-willed consciousness can through its creative and moral activity act to increase information and order,this higher level of being can be one for which entropy would be no barrier.

Source: Complexity and entropy: human creativity vs the heat-death of the universe

This is what I mean by life outpacing ultimate death. It's not that we reverse entropy universe-wide, but that life's increasing complexity will no longer be driven by and subject to the constraints of entropy. Dr. Avi suggests that the rise in complexity is not parabolic at all. When the universe can produce conscious life, the level of complexity can kink in an exponential direction.

Let me also add that even if life cannot transcend faster than entropy's drag, it is still important for conscious beings to aspire to that exponential possibility. Because that way, they will believe in themselves enough to achieve peak complexity. If they believe that peak complexity is the best that they can achieve, then they will have a tendency to waste their time and energy shitposting in dead places, thus terminating complexity early. This is Frankl's theory for why we as a people should believe in ourselves.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 2, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nice... meltdown? I think?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If we were neighbors, I'd at least offer to smoke you out.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

friendbot2000 posted:

The Old Testament God and the New Testament God are really two different gods. The Hebrew Old Testament God is a god of war and blood. There is not a moment in the Old Testament where He is not shedding blood or demanding blood be shed in some way. This correlates with the history of the Hebrews. They were a mercenary warrior people. They were the ones you hired when you wanted to ruin someones day.

Fast fowards a couple centuries and the known world is seeing a stability ig has never seen before with the dominion of the Roman Empire. Religion often mirrors the timeperiod in which it is born. So naturally with less war and blood the New Testament God was more positive. A god of love and peace.

Thank you; this was the point I was trying to eventually get to, along with henotheism in ancient Israelite religion along with mythological influence from Ugarit and other areas of the Levant.

That Robot fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

friendbot2000 posted:

there's certainly a correlation between religion & culture (and development level, for that matter), but i question your categorization of the era. christianity came into being among a people under foreign occupation, subject to a rule that was often shaky, where both terrorism and violent reprisals were endemic. theology aside, christ's gospel was a model for resistance of a radical sort, not complaisance and anodyne positivity.

basic hitler posted:

Genesis has some weird passages, and the word choice raises all kinds of questions about what was really happening.

There is a gnostic book, apocryphon of john I think, that claims man was more or less constructed on his order by angels, and was residing... wherever Yahweh is, and when they disobeyed, he became afraid of what he had made, and he banished them to earth. This is where sophia begins to intervene frequently as yahweh alternates between wishing to destroy his mistake and control it, and only the higher creatures like sophia see any merit or redemptive value in mankind, or any of the mistakes of yahweh.

But that's like, straight up heresy, and you're asking questions people have been asking a really long time and never come up with satisfying answers for.

oh i know the answers. by asking them im trying to guide u to my sex cult

• Locked thread