Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Cubone posted:

it sounds like if it were up to you he would have been able to go to college without becoming a blood sacrifice to lockheed martin's profit margins, so I think we're mostly in agreement. I just have to beg your understanding for not taking part in the farce of shedding crocodile tears while one hand is turning the crank of the meat grinder we fed him into

Yeah I just think it's kinda gauche to cheer the death of troops when plenty of them got suckered into it. Most are regular people who signed their lives away as part of a cruel bait and switch, not some kind of bloodcrazed crusader.

E: I still find their deaths sad cause my soul hasn't withered and died yet but yours might have and that's cool too namaste

Have Blue fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most soldiers are poor people with no other options and what is hosed is that we dangle military service in front of them as a way to get stuff like an education or stable income.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

COMRADES posted:

Most soldiers are poor people with no other options and what is hosed is that we dangle military service in front of them as a way to get stuff like an education or stable income.

Nah. American soldiers are relatively wealthy, well-educated, and do not choose to serve as any kind of a last resort.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

COMRADES posted:

My health insurance is going up so that's good and cool.

Mine went up for the past three years. There must have been some kind of bill that passed before Trump became president or something.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I've only been paying for healthcare for the past two years so I don't really have a frame of reference. Probably getting my hosed up the rear end with a rusty pole but ignorance is bliss.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I digitized my consciousness and now live as a digital ghost on the net. The server/rd costs are still less than health care for my filthy meat body.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol

Source plz

just google "list of people donny trumb called fat" its not like he calls a lot of people fat.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
He made me decide to buy guns again, despite taking medication for depression and other probable mental issues that haven't been officially diagnosed.

Sleep well, America.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Kthulhu5000 posted:

He made me decide to buy guns again, despite taking medication for depression and other probable mental issues that haven't been officially diagnosed.

Sleep well, America.

i don't really go out in public much myself so have fun :911:

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

spacetoaster posted:

Nah. American soldiers are relatively wealthy, well-educated, and do not choose to serve as any kind of a last resort.

So I looked this up and as per page 26 of this document , it checks out.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

I mean I'm not gonna inundate you with graphs here unless you want me to but among enlisted service members, minorities are overrepresented (relative to proportions in the civilian population) and ~80% of members have a High School diploma or less. Among officers, minorities are underrepresented and over 80% have at least a Bachelor's degree.

And obviously we're talking about enlisted here not officers yeah?

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

So I looked this up and as per page 26 of this document , it checks out.

quote:

Because household or family income is not collected from the families or households
from which recruits come, these studies must identify a proxy for household income of
recruits. For example, in a recent study, Lien, Lawler, and Shuford used the median
income for recruits’ census tracts as a proxy for recruit household income.
25 In short, they measured “neighborhood affluence” or how well-off (well-to-do) recruits’
neighborhoods were.
Each neighborhood is synonymous with a census tract

lol

Poorest regions of the country get the most recruits and 80% of recruits have only a high school degree but yeah they were definitely going to be making just as much if not more in the private sector. Definitely would have gotten free college without the GI bill... somehow.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 15, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And demographics aside "free college or pay tens of thousands of dollars in loans and interests" is wildly attractive even to middle class families and it is still just as lovely and predatory.

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

COMRADES posted:

Poorest regions of the country get the most recruits and 80% of recruits have only a high school degree but yeah they were definitely going to be making just as much if not more in the private sector. Definitely would have gotten free college without the GI bill... somehow.

They probably probably would make more if they became a plumber or worked in HVAC. I always forget you bourgeois commies think everyone needs to spend their money on a 4 year degree straight out of high school before they even know what they actually want to do.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

calvin coolidge was a racist monster and mike pence is his second coming

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Yes the unemployed dude is gonna find the cash for technical college

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well there are about 1.3 million enlisted and about another 800,000 in the reserves and about 500,000 plumbers so yeah sure that'll work out fine.

The military is a jobs and subsidy program lol if you don't get that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he makes me lol every day OP!

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
The military provides free education healthcare and food. If you're a foreign national you can serve as a way to get us citizenship. The only catch is that your life may end suddenly in a middle eastern ditch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

COMRADES posted:

I mean I'm not gonna inundate you with graphs here unless you want me to but among enlisted service members, minorities are overrepresented (relative to proportions in the civilian population) and ~80% of members have a High School diploma or less. Among officers, minorities are underrepresented and over 80% have at least a Bachelor's degree.

Incorrect. The military as a whole has higher test scores and possesses a higher average education level that the population writ large. Even if you exclude the officers corps where a bachelors degree is a minimum requirement for line, advanced degrees are required for most staff, and graduate coursework is needed for promotion, there is a 20% high school drop out rate in this country which is a disqualifier (unless you have a GED and some college) and of those who graduate high school, many can't pass the ASVAB. I'm not saying everyone in the military is a genius. But you civilians are pretty loving stupid.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Or you kys when drugs can't tamp down on the ptsd anymore

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

spacetoaster posted:

Incorrect. The military as a whole has higher test scores and possesses a higher average education level that the population writ large. Even if you exclude the officers corps where a bachelors degree is a minimum requirement for line, advanced degrees are required for most staff, and graduate coursework is needed for promotion, there is a 20% high school drop out rate in this country which is a disqualifier (unless you have a GED and some college) and of those who graduate high school, many can't pass the ASVAB. I'm not saying everyone in the military is a genius. But you civilians are pretty loving stupid.

Normal brain: be a civ

Glowing brain: be an officer

Galaxy brain: enlist as a grunt

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Trump got me to quit looking at social media and that might be the greatest gift of all.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

bongwizzard posted:

Trump got me to quit looking at social media and that might be the greatest gift of all.

social media only started being good after he became president though

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

I'm not saying everyone in the military is a genius. But you civilians are pretty loving stupid.

I'm not arguing stupid or smart, I'm arguing that the military is predatory in nature by offering free college and a stable income to young people with a high school degree and lovely options.

It's not a coincidence that it recruits more easily in areas where there is more endemic poverty but again even a middle class white kid facing the option of go join the army for a few years or take out massive student loans is being boned. You shouldn't need to go roll the dice in a foreign land for the profits of Dick Cheney in order to go to college.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 15, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Millionaire
rear end in a top hat
Golfing
Again

Finally a new joke at least

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sleep well, America.

Most mentally ill people are not violent or dangerous. Way to spread the stigma there, bud

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

COMRADES posted:

I'm not arguing stupid or smart, I'm arguing that the military is predatory in nature by offering free college and a stable income to young people with a high school degree and lovely options.

It's not a coincidence that it recruits more easily in areas where there is more endemic poverty but again even a middle class white kid facing the option of go join the army for a few years or take out massive student loans is being boned. You shouldn't need to go roll the dice in a foreign land for the profits of Dick Cheney in order to go to college.

Don't forget the stuff you said about minorities too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Moridin has a preternatural ability to fixate on the least relevant approach to any subject it's really quite impressive

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Moridin has a preternatural ability to fixate on the least relevant approach to any subject it's really quite impressive

au·tism
[ˈôˌtizəm]
NOUN

a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spacetoaster posted:

Don't forget the stuff you said about minorities too.

I said that proportionate to the population, minorities are overrepresented in enlisted numbers and underrepresented in officer numbers. iirc the Navy is the worst offender with only 1 of 10 or 11 officers being not white.

Is that wrong?

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
lol at gangstalking and bullying Moridin. shouldn't there be a steam game yall should be on anyhow o_O

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Most mentally ill people are not violent or dangerous. Way to spread the stigma there, bud

Pfeh, as if it isn't the default American response to throw mentally ill people under the bus every time there Yet Another Mass Shooting In America™, anyway. Doing otherwise might involve some uncomfortable introspection and questions, and that's one thing that the piggy masses of this nation don't want (not that they're capable of such cognitive functions, anyway).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Have Blue posted:

The military provides free education healthcare and food. If you're a foreign national you can serve as a way to get us citizenship. The only catch is that your life may end suddenly in a middle eastern ditch

Other catch: Even if you don't die, you still die inside.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Donald Trump ate my rear end for a bag of coffee

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Trump got me a low percentage rate on our new house. Otherwise, nothing he has done has affected me negatively or positively.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He taught me how low the DNC had truly fallen

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Pfeh, as if it isn't the default American response to throw mentally ill people under the bus every time there Yet Another Mass Shooting In America™, anyway. Doing otherwise might involve some uncomfortable introspection and questions, and that's one thing that the piggy masses of this nation don't want (not that they're capable of such cognitive functions, anyway).

You seem like a charming individual

Please get help

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
it seems rude to hate someone who has given me so much free entertainment. otoh, im drinking more than usual and my heartburn is back in force so maybe it's a wash idk

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Handjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Have Blue posted:

E: I still find their deaths sad cause my soul hasn't withered and died yet but yours might have and that's cool too namaste
I hope I haven't given you the impression that I don't feel bad. of course I feel bad. I just think it's vulgar to pat ourselves on the back for feeling bad while doing nothing to alleviate our complicity in the underlying causes. I think the systemetized nature of the mourning is a way to distract from those underlying causes, and if I delight in the ugly honesty behind the charade being exposed, it's only because it means something might change. my soul is fine; it just sees the blood on its own hands.

• Locked thread